PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly November 2008

Templar Knight
03-15-2008, 22:02
http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=empire&lid=gp_empire&lpos=nav_pldwnlst

:2thumbsup:

YellowMelon
03-15-2008, 22:42
good find. woot

Herkus
03-15-2008, 23:03
Good news, but as far as i know all total war games have come out in November, so thats hardly surprising. :2thumbsup:

Rhyfelwyr
03-16-2008, 00:02
Become a founding father. Control the fate of the United States of America, from its revolution against the British to overcoming the challenges of a young independent nation.

So we can take control of factions even when they do not exist at the beginning. This sounds like a potentially fantastic feature, and can only really be done in a couple of ways I can think of - either there will be an era's system, or we can pick our sides in a civil war as in MTW (:2thumbsup:). Or maybe even special start dates to include certain factions, although that seems less likely...

As for the release date, thats good news. Not too long, and gives me the summer to catch up on the previous TW titles. Although we have heard bogus release dates before.:sweatdrop:

rajpoot
03-16-2008, 06:26
Finally, a date! :bounce:

pevergreen
03-16-2008, 09:32
I like where this thread is going.

Lets just hope it doesnt get delayed.

woad&fangs
03-16-2008, 16:19
Very nice, but I would like to remind CA of one thing...

If my mad scientist tells me that my super weapon is almost finished, but requires more testing, I will wait for him to complete the testing. No one ever conquered the world by using a beta-version.
Take as much time as you guys need.

PS: the screenshots so far are very pretty.

Ramses II CP
03-16-2008, 18:27
Very nice, but I would like to remind CA of one thing...

Take as much time as you guys need.

PS: the screenshots so far are very pretty.

Ditto the first part. Release dates suck, finished products rock. :book:

I guess I should be glad so many people are willing to pay to beta test the product for me though. :shrug:

:egypt:

adamsleath
03-17-2008, 05:43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire:_Total_War
Features

Empire: Total War will feature a new game engine as well as 3D naval battles, a feature new to the series, as well as large land battles with muskets, cavalry and artillery. Buildings and structures can be garrisoned, as well as being destructible, and there is a plethora of new formations and strategies to be mastered. The naval battles feature destructible sails, realistic cannon fire, grapeshots and boarding action. Weather effects are also a key chapter in naval battles.

The battles on land have been given a makeover too:

* The firing of cannons, arrows and muskets is made more realistic.
* Music makes its way into the battlefield in the form of bagpipes, drums, fifes and trumpets.
* Weapons may jam and misfire, and cannons can explode.
* Generals shout orders at their troops as the regiment goes into combat or fires at enemies.
* The battlefield becomes strewn with dead, dying and dismembered bodies. The game makes use of ragdoll physics to add to the chaos.

A full list of confirmed features can be found in the frequently updated TotalWar.org forum summary thread.

oh my; i'm REALLY looking forward to this.!

Caerfanan
03-17-2008, 10:53
The new features about land battles seems to be only about cosmetic? I hope there'll be smtg else than "more eye candy"...

adamsleath
03-17-2008, 22:00
I hope there'll be smtg else
such as?

seems to be plenty of additions to actual game & battle mechanics on campaign map level and battle map levels.
modified/different game engine supposedly

Martok
03-17-2008, 23:40
such as?

AI and diplomacy.

If those were the only two things that CA were to get right in this game, I would still probably be content.

Caerfanan
03-18-2008, 10:58
AI and diplomacy.

If those were the only two things that CA were to get right in this game, I would still probably be content.
Yes. I hope that "more with the AI" wil not mean "many tiny shiny things to micromange in addition" but "more options with trade and diplomacy" "AI which doesn't roll a dice in such situations" (I know it's hard), and maybe some way to switch it on and off, so that the gamer who's more into battles doesn't have to spend time on it.

Abokasee
03-21-2008, 20:37
Well better than most EA deadlines... if they go over the limit the staff will be shot with a PKM Machine Gun.

Can someone please tell us why the majority (if not all) TW games are released in November?

TosaInu
03-21-2008, 21:49
Shogun Total War was released in June, Medieval Totalwar in August, Rome: Totalwar in September and Medieval2: Total War in May.

A release around Christmas can be a commercial advantage.

Jochi Khan
03-22-2008, 00:53
Good news, but as far as i know all total war games have come out in November, so thats hardly surprising. :2thumbsup:

No November releases in TosaInu's list of total war dates.

LestaT
03-22-2008, 00:59
I think I read somewhere that said on of the CA dev/staff/official went to Russia for some business. I wonder if it involves buying/using the engine which is use for the Age of Pirate game (by Akella) for their naval battle portion of the ETW... :idea2:

CBR
03-22-2008, 01:26
M2TW was released November 2006.

CBR

Belgolas
03-22-2008, 05:06
yeah I remember M2TW being released just after my birthday which is in november.

Medieval II: Total War
Platforms:
Release Date: 11/13/2006

but not all total wars are released in November. But it is smart to make it in before Christmas

eddy_purpus
03-22-2008, 06:48
You see?>

a game is not only about Pretty graphics .
its about how it is made to play .
how units act and fight .
and the campaign gameplay .

for me it doesnt need to be beautyfull to be playable .
for me a game that is great in gameplay even if the graphics are a lil outdated . is better than play a game that doesnt go well with what you waited for .

i think that everyone has very different opinions based on what type of game they like .

TosaInu
03-23-2008, 14:50
Sorry, M2TW was released November 2006 indeed.

GFX707
03-24-2008, 13:01
Just this once I'd actually rather see a "when it's done" release date.

Mikeus Caesar
03-24-2008, 13:59
Just this once I'd actually rather see a "when it's done" release date.

But then they might have to inject a few thousand more dollars into making sure it works.

That would cut into profits! We can't be doing that!

:smash:

Husar
03-24-2008, 14:35
If only they had the same quality assurance as the guys who make Duke Nukem Forever...

TosaInu
03-24-2008, 15:14
If only they had the same quality assurance as the guys who make Duke Nukem Forever...

~:)

YellowMelon
03-24-2008, 16:53
We'd never get a TW game then :P but damn it would be good!

But we'd never see it.

BUT IT WOULD BE EPIC!

Intrepid Sidekick
03-25-2008, 15:38
I wonder if it involves buying/using the engine which is use for the Age of Pirate game (by Akella) for their naval battle portion of the ETW... :idea2:

Most definetly not.:no:

The naval battles are entirely home grown in the CA UK Horsham office.:2thumbsup:

The guys working on Naval Battles would be quite upset to think that they werent getting the credit they so hugely deserve.

pevergreen
03-25-2008, 21:59
A wikipedia article references the org? Let alone a thread I made :grin2:

Yayayayayay.

Templar Knight
05-16-2008, 13:20
Sega.co.uk has an 'Autumn' release date, instead of 'November 2008' like Sega.com. I wonder if Empire will be released in Europe before the US?

rajpoot
05-16-2008, 15:26
I always get confused when it comes to weather patterns outside Asia. Sega UK saying game is due for an Autumn\Fall release would mean it's due for sometime around September\October right?

Martok
05-16-2008, 18:48
Sega.co.uk has an 'Autumn' release date, instead of 'November 2008' like Sega.com. I wonder if Empire will be released in Europe before the US?
While that would be somewhat logical (given that CA is based in the UK), I still doubt it. Games are nearly always released here in the US first, and the Total War titles have been no exception to this rule.

I always get confused when it comes to weather patterns outside Asia. Sega UK saying game is due for an Autumn\Fall release would mean it's due for sometime around September\October right?
Or November; it's certainly possible.

Don't forget that autumn runs from approximately September 21 to December 21, so strictly speaking ETW could be released anywhere in that time frame. Of course, I've never heard of a game not coming out until December, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a November release date.

Furious Mental
05-17-2008, 10:07
Actually speaking of this, now that we are having a truly global game and with naval combat, they had better have a proper weather system, with equatorial, tropical, temperate and sub-arctic zones at least. I mean, it would be pretty ridiculous if they had European style summer, winter, autumn and spring in Sri Lanka!

rajpoot
05-17-2008, 11:04
On the world map, weather has little effect, apart from storms affecting the fleets on the seas; Atleast as yet.
Most of the weather effects we see are on battle map, and even their affect is pretty slight, save rain and fog which I believe makes a difference with archers.
What effects can weather have in ETW is a topic of discussion, Indian summers and monsoons should cause some sort of negative thing for European troops and not affect local and mercs.......meanwhile the cold winters of Northern regions should affect the people from South and stuff like that........but all the same, it'll still be quite slight on land........on the seas however...........now that will be something.......

Furious Mental
05-17-2008, 12:13
Well if they want to make it arcadey they can have ships putter about on the world map like motorboats, but given the fact that it's a global game and that sea transport is going to be even more important, I would hope they at least have trade winds, monsoons, and doldrums. There is a reason they are called 'trade winds' after all. You could invest in research by your fleets to map weather patterns, giving you the advantage in directing your fleets and so forth, and advances in meteorology generally could reduce the incidence of ships being lost at sea.

rajpoot
05-17-2008, 14:13
Sounds nice, but I just hope that they make this actually worth what it should be.........like, they are having this new system for tech development, now I've been afraid right since they mentioned it, that the tech 'development' would mean nothing but clicking on a button and losing some of your gold and after a few turns you have a whole new technological advantage..........that'll make it a bit too simple and unrealistic and kind of take the fun out of many a great developments of the era.........I mean, you just pay a lot of gold, sit back for a few turns, and suddenly you have locomotives.............that'll make getting tech superiority too easy, and if I'm not wrong, once you manage to get technologically superior, winning is just a matter of some time.
I just hope they implement it right and don't use the click-pay-research thing for each and every bit they can do it on.

Furious Mental
05-17-2008, 16:27
Well, in my opinion technology should be accrued at least partly through practical application. For instance, say there is this 'technology' I suggest, where improved meteorological knowledge leads to faster ships and fewer accidents- it should be acquired through having lots of ships and sending them on lots of voyages. Using artillery would lead to artillery technologies, etc, etc.

I would suggest that you have the ability to build and fund institutions of learning and they could accelerate this process- this would represent in the abstract the role that academics do in collecting and analysing practical knowledge, turning it into coherent theories and disseminating those theories. By allocating resources to particular areas one could further speed things up.

rajpoot
05-17-2008, 18:19
Exactly, it should be more than the clicking thing we have in RTSs like Age of Empires and all, actually it was that kind of tech researching that I was afraid of.
This way there'll also be more variety in gameplay, for infantry development use more infantry and so on; will give the game an even more open ended feel.

aftzengeier
05-17-2008, 21:20
Moin Eve!

Yes no simple klicking... I think it should also go by buildings. You expand your cannon or musket manufactures more and more until the people invent some speed-production-up/make-it-cheaper technologies. Or another excample: Building larger and larger mines makes more advanced railways needed and the people start developing lokomotives. Building roads should also be good for all parts of the economy - roads simply make things easier! http://ugly.plzdiekthxbye.net/small/s000.gif

The other thing that you should be able to do is to back up this development by giving the money needed. Many technologies were delayed in their development because the rich people saw no potencial in it and gave no money to the projects (like the "Eiserner Seehund", an early prussian submarine). Subsidy is the Key!!! (do not believe Iron Maiden) ~;)

Of course it shouldn't be so easy with the financials. You beeing the player should be forced to really think if this investment is worth its money or not! Are there enough places in my country to use it? Are there things that I better spent my money for? That would be a nice thing CA! :eyebrows:

Maybe you should think about november 2009? :aquarius:

Martok
05-18-2008, 03:44
Some interesting ideas there, aftzengeier....one of which brings up a question I'd not yet thought of: I wonder if we'll be able to construct both roads *and* railways? It seems logical that we would, but it's probably wiser to refrain from assuming that's the case unless & until we hear otherwise.

Maybe you should think about november 2009? :aquarius:
Heh. We should only be so lucky.

Matt_Lane
05-18-2008, 09:18
I wonder if we'll be able to construct both roads *and* railways?

I'd like to see the ability to build canals and then railways in the second half of the game. If the player invested in developing these they should benefit from an increase in industrial production and therefore increased financial income. In a similar way, as stated elsewhere in the forum, developing sailing technologies (sextant, mapping trade winds) should have a positive effect on trade income.

Fisherking
05-18-2008, 14:05
Railways?
You know the first locomotive wasn’t invented until 1803 or there abouts, don’t you?
I don’t think they would have that much of an impact on the game. It would cover less then 1/6th of the game anyway and they didn’t have a major impact until the mid 1830s.

Furious Mental
05-18-2008, 16:12
Well the published concept art includes railways. That suggests to me that railways come into it somewhere.

Matt_Lane
05-18-2008, 16:34
Wagon ways were used throughout the period but there development increased in pace around the mid 18th century with the needs to haul the bulk goods of the industrial revolution. True steam locomotives did not make an appearance until the early 19th century (Trevithicks Puffin Devil 1801 and Pennydarren 1803) but I would like to see them make an appearance at the end of the game. I'm a little dubious about CA's artwork as they seem to be depicting Locomotion No.1, which pulled the first passenger service in 1825, a little out of the proposed time frame.

Polemists
05-18-2008, 17:21
So first since the dev that posted didn't seem to deny the release I suppose that's as close to a unofficial confirmation as we are gonna get.

Second, so does this mean we get a website for empire total war sometime before August now? :)

Gaius Septembris Minor
05-22-2008, 13:11
Greet news can't wait!!!

batemonkey
05-22-2008, 13:47
hi guys

may i introduce you to The Middleton Railway (in mighty Leeds) the oldest railway in the world, bulit in 1758 (without steam trains but still)

http://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/The_Collier_aquatint_by_Robert_Havell_1814.jpg

picture painted in 1814

Templar Knight
05-22-2008, 17:42
Gamespot UK has the release at Q3, Gamespot US has it at Q4. Also Medieval 2 was released in the UK and Europe before the US, although only by about a week.

rajpoot
05-22-2008, 18:09
What does Q3/Q4 mean? After 3/4 months?

Martok
05-22-2008, 18:19
What does Q3/Q4 mean? After 3/4 months?
It means 3rd quarter and 4th quarter of the year. So 3rd quarter refers to the months July, August, & September, while the 4th quarter refers to October, November, & December.