PDA

View Full Version : The map

Maximus Aurelius
03-16-2008, 18:42
Could you expand the map to... China!?:laugh4:
No, i am just kidding. Actually I was wondering will you be making the map a bit prettier? Because the MTW2 map was sorta ugly.

Humble Scholar
04-11-2008, 20:51
Actually I would very much like to know why everyone is so opposed to opening up china for conquest. After all the only real military power in the ancient world that would have been able to do so much as put up a fight with Rome during its height was in fact that very empire.
Therefore I would like to propose this very scenario to you all for simple intellectual debate. What if Rome never fell to internal corruption? But rather had the “opportunity” to continue its expansion east? There is no question that it would have eventually come into contact with china and I honestly believe that this is a option that many of us would like to explore despite its historical non-occurrence .:book:

Ludens
04-11-2008, 20:59
Because it would require them to cross through either a steppe or the Himalayas, which would be nigh on impossible for an army. Not to mention that there is a limited number of faction slots, unit slots and city slots, for all of which EB is already at the limit, so including China would mean dropping stuff that has already been including. Or that researching the Chinese military as thoroughly as the rest of EB has been researched would take months and require the team to bring on new experts.

I'd like to see China as well, but if they were to be done justice, they'd need their own mod.

antisocialmunky
04-11-2008, 22:35
Then there's all those giant deserts and mountains...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-12-2008, 00:01
And don't forget the stupid AI. If the map was that big, amagine the odd AI expansion...

antisocialmunky
04-12-2008, 03:57
The Chinese were probably too busy killing their own people anyways.

General Appo
04-12-2008, 07:34
Actually I would very much like to know why everyone is so opposed to opening up china for conquest. After all the only real military power in the ancient world that would have been able to do so much as put up a fight with Rome during its height was in fact that very empire.

Ever heard of the Parthians? Or the Germans, Picts, Sarmatians or whatever, all those are people the Romans couldn´t conquer or subdue.
Point is, Rome would never have been able to conquer China, nor would China ever be able to conquer Rome. Nor would any of them want to.
Besides, it´s not like all of China was just a big unified empire just waiting for someone to crush, they´re busy enough back home to worry aobut crossing hundreds of miles of steppes, deserts, mountains, rivers, and all kinds of nature, all inhabitated by people who would very likely be quite hostile to any foreign invaders.

Korlon
04-14-2008, 01:53
With all the problems, there's also a province limit of 199. We'd have to scrap a ton of cities in order to add some more of the map.

russia almighty
04-14-2008, 02:32
The question is, why is their a lack of China and or East Asia mods in general. I could have sworn that the internet, the org included, had tons of sino/japanophiles running around.

Korlon
04-14-2008, 02:39
They're busy playing Warcraft? I don't know.

Check the Asia ton Barbaron unofficial mod you could.

Humble Scholar
04-14-2008, 18:10
Hmmm…. My question seems to have stirred up a lot of activity here. I thought that the very next post answered it quite well being the limits of the faction slots ect. Mind you that I very much realize that such a war was impossible in reality due to the mentioned desserts/mountains which is probably one of the many reasons why it did not happen in actual history; After all that’s what stopped Carthage from invading Rome itself at one point (if I remember that correctly).
Now. I would like to point out that I did in fact find a “Rome vs. China” mod out there since asking about this. it was for RTW. I was only able to use it on an older version of the game and it was (in my opinion) very unrealistic as far as how they portrayed China, not to mention that they used vanilla roman factions. I also found a solely eastern mod which I have no idea how accurate it was but it seemed to be somewhat “medivalish” in time due to a unified china and gunpowder technology. Even so it brought about a question that I haven’t been able to answer. Is it possible to “mix mods” with a bit of scripting? If so then people could probably finesse a mod of sorts; however inaccurate it may be.

Ludens
04-14-2008, 20:07
Is it possible to “mix mods” with a bit of scripting? If so then people could probably finesse a mod of sorts; however inaccurate it may be.
Unfortunately not. It is possible to (manually) merge the data files, however if the mod makes a lot of changes (like EB) they won't be compatible. Not to mention that EB is already at or near the limits for map size, number of cities, units and faction.

Irishmafia2020
04-15-2008, 08:32
I'm not a supporter of putting China in this mod at all, but as for it being a historical impossibility, well Greeks in India seems pretty damned far fetched as well, and that happened....!