PDA

View Full Version : I ask for only 1 (one) thing

Caius
03-16-2008, 23:06
Flying units is all I ask for. Might be problematic, but we could have some WWII and WWI mods, of some Nazgul units for some LotR mod.

Rhyfelwyr
03-17-2008, 00:23
And underwater units, for submarines.

And also to create the Flying Dutchman, can't wait to see Davy Jones commanding the troops when the inevitable Pirate of the Caribbean mod comes out...

Caius
03-17-2008, 01:20
And underwater units, for submarines.

And also to create the Flying Dutchman, can't wait to see Davy Jones commanding the troops when the inevitable Pirate of the Caribbean mod comes out...
I do not ask for that, but I think many people will do if they want to release a World War mod.

I just want to do a mod that is impossible : Tiberium Wars mod. You know, the old Tiberian Sun in the engine that fits mostly.

PBI
03-17-2008, 12:12
IIRC observation baloons were starting to be used for reconnaisance by the time of the Napoleonic Wars. If these are modelled on the battlefield then you might get your wish.

Otherwise, I was thinking that if naval bombardment is included in the form of an "off-map" fleet being able to be ordered to bombard a specific target during the battle, this might be a way to do things like long-range artillery, air support etc.

As for Davy Jones; never mind Pirates of the Caribbean, I want a Guybrush Threepwood mod.

Caerfanan
03-18-2008, 11:02
I don't know if between 1700 and 1820 long range artillery from boats was this efficient... You could bomb a port or things like this (I think that's what did Lafayette during the independance wer of the US), but I think that the range was counted in... hundreds of yard? a mile?

Nobunaga
03-18-2008, 17:24
Good/Balanced multi player :whip:

PBI
03-19-2008, 13:39
I don't know if between 1700 and 1820 long range artillery from boats was this efficient... You could bomb a port or things like this (I think that's what did Lafayette during the independance wer of the US), but I think that the range was counted in... hundreds of yard? a mile?

I believe the British had artillery support from their ships at the battle of Bunker Hill during the American Revolution, so I guess it must at least have been accurate enough to have a reasonable chance of landing somewhere near the enemy army and not their own.

But the accuracy doesn't matter from the point of view of modding, all that would matter would be the ability to call in an attack from outside the map. It seems to me this is the simplest way of handling naval bombardment; the alternatives would be to model the ships on the battle map itself (which sounds like a lot of work for not much reward), or not include it at all (which is possible, but seems unlikely to me).

rajpoot
03-19-2008, 15:15
When you consider the scale the maps will have in ETW (I believe they'll be much larger than those in M2TW, as a lot of artillery will be used, which will have greater range than M2TW units) then having artillery bombardment from outside the map seems unlikely....after all, the gunners in that era could only bombard a visible targets right?
Anyway, like it has been suggested before, with no response from CA, ships could be made like stationary batteries of guns, with limited controllability. :juggle2:

Caerfanan
03-21-2008, 11:33
I believe the British had artillery support from their ships at the battle of Bunker Hill during the American Revolution, so I guess it must at least have been accurate enough to have a reasonable chance of landing somewhere near the enemy army and not their own.

But the accuracy doesn't matter from the point of view of modding, all that would matter would be the ability to call in an attack from outside the map. It seems to me this is the simplest way of handling naval bombardment; the alternatives would be to model the ships on the battle map itself (which sounds like a lot of work for not much reward), or not include it at all (which is possible, but seems unlikely to me).
Yes, maybe calling on off-map artillery support could then be considered. That's a good idea indeed!

Veho Nex
03-23-2008, 03:37
maybe if your on a coast battle you would be able to call in bombardment, like how in STW MTW and RTW you could see the ships off the coast if you did certain custom battles. Thats about the only way you could do that.

Brave
03-26-2008, 19:45
maybe if your on a coast battle you would be able to call in bombardment, like how in STW MTW and RTW you could see the ships off the coast if you did certain custom battles. Thats about the only way you could do that.

Good Idea