PDA

View Full Version : A question for CA should they care to look

Vuk
03-18-2008, 18:58
...and answer. :P
Naval warfare is one of the big attractions to your new game, and we have seen many screens of it, there is one thing, however, that puzzles me: Will there be ship's hands? What I mean is will there be graphical representations of seaman climbing masts, reefing sails, and all that other jazz (that I admit I know very little about)?
Don't know, it would seem pretty darn fake to me without that...

ThePianist
03-20-2008, 09:10
I think CA would first think of game mechanics (i.e. that sea battles would happen without bugs) and then think of the details of graphics. And if the extra details would slow down most computers, then they probably keep the game mechanics, and won't have the extra details. Depends on how fast the game engine they develop. And besides, any detail like that you won't notice after the first few times at all. For instance, before LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth came out, one of the developer's diary was about how detailed the buildings were. If you zoom in on one of the resources buildings, you'd see a cattle walking up the ramp, the Orc rubbing his hands and looking around, the cattle walking into the structure and the Orc walking out the other side carrying meat pieces and putting them on hooks. That's how detailed the building design was. And it was really incredible to look at. However, after a few time it was mostly the actual gaming (i.e. the game mechanics, how the units move, building armies, etc.) and you don't notice the details anymore.