PDA

View Full Version : Gah problems...

caravel
03-24-2008, 18:41
I am hoping that someone can provide input on this as I'm currently at a loss. It is probably simple and the answer is staring me in the face. Anyway the problem is thus:

I have created new provinces, all working correctly, no problems, no crashes all is functioning as it should. Then I decide that I want to add for example "Unit1" to be trainable in "ID_NEWREGION1" (not actual names). So going to the unit prod file I add my province into the correct field (gnome editor column 51) as per example:

"ID_WALES, ID_WESSEX, ID_MERCIA, ID_NORTH_UMBRIA, ID_NEWREGION1"

I then save the unitprod file (using notepad++) and exit. Then when running the game I get the following:

Unknown region specified: Column 30, Row 13
ID_NEWREGION1

Any ideas as to where I'm going wrong? :help:

:bow:

-Edit: I also have a problem where rebels in the new provinces are nameless. That is to say that I've done the SetRegionRebels in the startpos file but the rebel generals that appear as part of a revolt appear with no names.

R'as al Ghul
03-24-2008, 18:46
Could you post the file in code tags?
I assume it's an error caused by gnome.

The second problem I need to think about. You forgot to introduce the names somewhere. I think names.txt.

caravel
03-24-2008, 19:05
Could you post the file in code tags?
I assume it's an error caused by gnome.
That's it though, I don't use gnome. Basically whenever I add in the province name, I get the error and when I remove it again the error vanishes. I can only assume that it needs to be declared somewhere else, but where? Basically the game engine doesn't recognise my new provinces for some reason. Of course I've only declared them in the early.txt startpos. Do I need to declare them anywhere else?

The second problem I need to think about. You forgot to introduce the names somewhere. I think names.txt.
I know it's language text file related but not sure which file. names.txt is a safe bet though, I'll have a look. :2thumbsup:

R'as al Ghul
03-24-2008, 19:15
That's it though, I don't use gnome. Basically whenever I add in the province name, I get the error and when I remove it again the error vanishes. I can only assume that it needs to be declared somewhere else, but where? Basically the game engine doesn't recognise my new provinces for some reason. Of course I've only declared them in the early.txt startpos. Do I need to declare them anywhere else?
Yes, in default_region_specific.txt and in all startpos files that use the unit_prod.

I know it's language text file related but not sure which file. names.txt is a safe bet though, I'll have a look. :2thumbsup:

Check for @["rebel_factions_xzy"] and put the new rebel names in the list. Make sure the order corresponds with the region declaration.

caravel
03-24-2008, 19:20
Yes, in default_region_specific.txt and in all startpos files that use the unit_prod.
This is where the problem lies, I hadn't added them to the high and late startpos file as I haven't done those as yet. I've now renamed them as .baks and it's now working ok! :2thumbsup:

Check for @["rebel_factions_xzy"] and put the new rebel names in the list. Make sure the order corresponds with the region declaration.
Ok will do, thanks for all your help.

-Edit: I've looked at that section and it appears to be alphabetical and points to the rebel faction names. I'm reusing the same factions for the time being and not creating new ones. The issue is that the rebel generals appear totally nameless, not even an error message appears.

-Edit2: Another province I've moved from elsewhere produces rebels with the correct faction name "The Catalans" but the generals are still named as germanic rebels.

R'as al Ghul
03-24-2008, 19:33
Those are unrelated problems. So "The Catalans" show up and all other rebels have names accordingly? Good.
Only the leader names (Generals) are missing?
Have you added anything to DEFAULT_HEROES.TXT?

caravel
03-24-2008, 19:45
Those are unrelated problems. So "The Catalans" show up and all other rebels have names accordingly? Good.
Only the leader names (Generals) are missing?
Have you added anything to DEFAULT_HEROES.TXT?
**Slaps self** You've found the problem again, I knew there was something I'd forgotten about. :beam:

Thanks again.

R'as al Ghul
03-24-2008, 20:22
:medievalcheers:

Raz
03-25-2008, 08:49
If you two senior members have down slapping your own faces and smashing beer glasses together, you would've known that this belongs in the Alchemists Lab not the Engineers Guild... :grin2:

*sighs* And here I thought senior members knew it all... ~:joker:

macsen rufus
03-25-2008, 12:54
*sighs* And here I thought senior members knew it all...

That's why forgetful episodes are known as "having a senior moment" :clown:

caravel
03-29-2008, 22:33
While on the subject of the Default Heroes file - Does anyone have any idea how the heroes can be moved around in the file, i.e. between factions and provinces without messing up the names of all generals?

:thumbsup:

macsen rufus
03-31-2008, 09:50
You shouldn't have any problems just cut and pasting them around between the factions so long as you remember a few things:

- check the number of heroes you have listed for each faction in the top row - (I know it's obvious, but it's the commonest cock-up I make ~D)
- in each faction, declare heroes in date order
- ID_Province only works for Rebels, faction heroes need to be declared as ID_LIMBO - alas you don't get to choose, (except with those who are present at the start of the game when you can define units in the startpos to ensure you only have "hero candidate" units in the right provinces -- AFAIK this corresponds to the unit_prod column for Generals - DISCOURAGED/OK/PREFERRED option - OK or better means a hero can appear in this unit.
- If you have a lot of heroes at the start then it fills the slots using every available unit in province order, so they'll tend to cluster to the north-west
- there should be no name problems as hero names are defined as a label, not as a number like kings, so heroes can even have unique names unrelated to the rest of their faction, it just needs a translation in names.txt
- custom portraits need to go in campmap/portraits/(modsubfolder)/culture/misc, and are called from 0 onwards, so misc01.tga would be called with a "0", misc02.tga with "1". However it can be a bit buggy....

And that's pretty much what I've learned about setting up heroes :bow:

naut
03-31-2008, 10:18
AFAIK this corresponds to the unit_prod column for Generals - DISCOURAGED/OK/PREFERRED option - OK or better means a hero can appear in this unit.
:yes: Plus it relates to quality of default generals.

If you have a lot of heroes at the start then it fills the slots using every available unit in province order, so they'll tend to cluster to the north-west
Interesting.

macsen rufus
03-31-2008, 11:41
One other thing: if you want a number of rebel heroes to appear in the same province at the beginning, you need to give them different ages. I discovered this when trying to set up heroes for three brothers in one province. I started with them all the same age, but only the first two names were used, the third hero came out with a repeat of the second name. I rejigged it so they were a year apart and LO! all three heroes cropped up.

And faction heroes can also appear leading loyalist rebellions, which can be fun :2thumbsup: