PDA

View Full Version : Galleys?

hoom
03-28-2008, 11:32
Does anyone know if we'll have rowed Galleys for the Mediterranean empires?
Some of the screenshots show Mediterranean style ships with lateen sails but don't have oars.

I'm hoping for at least some ships with oars so we can do stuff like breaking them to disable the ship.

Also would enable Rome period mods with galley battles :beam:

Raz
03-28-2008, 11:57
I doubt it... on that modding note however, if you can create new 3D skeletons for ships, you should be able to add oars in the game yourself and animate it using 3D software. If that makes sense to anyone reading this... at all. :grin2:
Still, I'm no 3D graphics wiz, someone will probably correct me if I'm mistaken.

Elmar Bijlsma
03-28-2008, 23:48
Well I would certainly hope so. Not only did they play a large role in the Mediterranean, they were also very important around the Baltic. With so many narrow seas and dangerous shores it was altogether too easy to get blown on to rocks or in to a very disadvantageous position if you relied solely on sail. Hence galley frigates remained in use for longer there.

Matt_Lane
03-29-2008, 08:25
If rowed Galleys are included I'd also like to see small rowed gunboats. These should be cheap to produce and particularly effective on inland or coastal waters. A nation could start out with gunboats for local defense until they could afford offensive ocean going ships.

Raz
03-29-2008, 09:13
If rowed Galleys are included I'd also like to see small rowed gunboats. These should be cheap to produce and particularly effective on inland or coastal waters. A nation could start out with gunboats for local defense until they could afford offensive ocean going ships.

Ahh, of course... why didn't I think of gunboats... :rolleyes:

Lynchius
03-31-2008, 17:33
I hope they are but the time period of 1700-1815 was the period in which it faded from historical sources. The Russians used it in the Batic also as well as the mediterranean powers. If theyre not in the game it would be a loss. :yes:

"Kill them all. God knows his own."
- Albigensian leader during their 13th century crusade against 'heretics'