PDA

View Full Version : alpaca's odds and ends

alpaca
03-30-2008, 21:43
Morning guys,

Despite a certain lack of updating things, the script-o-rama has developed to be a useful place to discuss scripting-related things and answer small questions. Following the spirit of the thing, and because I sometimes find small bits of research that would quickly be lost if I opened a separate thread for them (I'm sure that I'm not the only one, either) or are simply to small to even warrant that, I decided to create a new thread where I can put the teensy non-scripting stuff that I stumble upon or consider not to be publicly known.
Another possible application for this thread will be presenting certain approaches or work-arounds for things that I deem to be common modding tasks, or simply stuff I'd like to write a short note about so that I don't forget them.

If you feel like contributing, just post a thread and somehow highlight the thing you'd like to be added (although to be honest I'll probably stop maintaining the thread properly after a while) and I'll put it into this post - with credit, as it is seen in the script-o-rama.

Let's get going then:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mapping

Resources

Supplying multiple resources on the same spot increases trade revenue
Well the title says it all really. If you add multiple instances of the same resource to the same spot, the trade value will increase with the number of instances. For example, you could put ten instances of "fish" in the same spot, like this

resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
resource fish, 167, 168
which will result in getting ten times as much money from the settlement.

What's even better (or sucks, depending on your point of view - in my opinion it's better), merchant trade is not affected by this as they only trade the topmost resource (i.e. the one that is mentioned last in descr_strat), so merchants trading your manifold fish resource won't rake in more profits.

It's also possible to put different resources on the same spot but of course, graphical unpleasantness may ensue. Merchants still trade only the topmost instance, so if you put silk on the spot later than the fish, they'll trade the silk - if you, however, put the fish later, they'll trade fish.

Here's a testing screenshot with a hundred fish in the same spot for your viewing pleasure
https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2303/multipleresourceshq5.th.jpg (https://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=multipleresourceshq5.jpg)