Metalstrm
04-07-2008, 20:49
Could anyone mod it for BI 1.6 please?

Zimm4973
04-08-2008, 00:54
yes even just advice how to would help

craziii
04-08-2008, 05:04
FAQ has link to a thread detailing on how you can change it. it is very simple few steps and you will make it work. should be no diff for 1.1 from 1.0

STuNTz2023
04-08-2008, 13:57
Edit :: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1433613&postcount=85

Maion Maroneios
04-09-2008, 20:17
It's quite easy actually:

1) Right-click on your EB1.1 icon, then on properties. Search for a line where it says something like ''RomeTW-exe''. Just change that to ''RomeTW-BI.exe''.

2) Go to the folder you have EB installed, and copy the .txt file in eb/data/text called ''imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt''/ Rename the copy to ''barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt''.

3) Next, go to ''eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign''. Copy ''imperial_campaign'' and rename it to ''barbarian_invasion''. Then delete map.rwm (if yo have already played a campaign).

4) This is optional, but it's a nice extra. Go to your RTW's original folder and locate the ''bi'' file. From there go to data\ui\"pick a culture"\interface and copy battlepage_03. Now paste it in your eb\data\ui\''every culture''\interface. This enables the shieldwall and schiltrom battle icons. Now you can alter the EDU (export_descr_unit) file to your likeness. You can, for example, give the ''shield_wall'' ability next to the formation line for a certain unit. Same goes with schiltrom. You can also add the ''can_swim'' ability to any unit next to the attributes line.

Have fun!!1

Kari
04-11-2008, 18:33
Thanks for the info. To what extent are EB 1.1 unit stats compatible with BI formations and how does the AI manage to handle them? I would like to use the BI options, but I am not sure whether it is actually worth it and whether it would indeed be an improvement gameplay-wise... :trytofly:

brymht
04-11-2008, 20:45
I'm actually assigning out can_swim, warcry, shield_wall, and occasionally shiltrom to a bunch of units in the EB unit list. I'm doing them as a "make sense" kind of basis, attempting to be as historically accurate as possible.

Some day I'll be putting out a downlaod for people who just want to click it and have done with it.

Lysander13
04-12-2008, 06:48
Thanks for the info. To what extent are EB 1.1 unit stats compatible with BI formations and how does the AI manage to handle them? I would like to use the BI options, but I am not sure whether it is actually worth it and whether it would indeed be an improvement gameplay-wise... :trytofly:
The unit stats are compatible in the sense that you can add the BI formations without any conflict if that's what you mean. Understand however that the balancing of the units was of course done for 1.5 and is not taking into consideration units being awarded BI abilities...ie..Shield Wall...etc, that award certain bonuses when used. The AI manages to handle these unit formations in the same manner it handles everything else....poorly. Overall though i would say BI is an improvement and my preffered .exe. Improvement in the sense of more options available to you as the player. Problem with this of course is that most of these options need to be modded into the game. Some things are easy to do. Some could be a bit tricky but let me tell ya it's pretty cool to see a Saka Rauka horde kicking the crap out of everyone in that side of the world ala The Huns in BI. :charge:
If anything, BI is worth it just for the more active naval incursions made by the AI.

hrrypttrbst
04-12-2008, 20:28
I'm thinking on setting EB on BI to but what's the differnce between them two? The only thing I now is that BI gives you the option use shieldwall and schiltrom.

mlc82
04-13-2008, 00:03
I know I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but my EB 1.1 shortcut actually leads to the "TrivialScript.exe", and not RTW... What do I need to change/re-route to RTW-BI instead?

hoom
04-13-2008, 03:26
Instructions for changing the trivial script to use BI .exe are here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1886060&postcount=7)

mlc82
04-13-2008, 05:39
Instructions for changing the trivial script to use BI .exe are here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1886060&postcount=7)

That'll work, thanks!

MerlinusCDXX
04-13-2008, 06:15
I've done everything suggested (copy/ rename the camp. folders) to use BI-exe, but cannot start a new campaign. The game just CTDs as soon as I hit Start Campaign. Is this an issue with the new faction movies? Does anyone know if it is possible to paste the new movie files into the BI folder to make it work, and if so, what files do I put where, and do they need to be renamed? I suppose I can do without the movies, but I'd like to make it as perfect as possible. I was able to start w/ RTW-exe and continue w/ BI, but I'd like to stop switching CDs all the time.

thx in advance

LorDBulA
04-13-2008, 09:36
This is new ebconfig.xml (for trivial script )
http://rapidshare.com/files/107110221/ebconfig.xml.html

Backup (Rename) ebconfig.xml in your Rome TW folder.
Download new ebconfig.xml to Rome TW folder.
Open Configuration shortcut.
In EB engine configuration select 'Use Barbarian Invasion'
Firs time you do it you will get lots of errors. Everything is fine just ignore it.
Click 'Play EB' or 'Save & Exit'

You can now use standard 'Single Player' shortcut to play EB BI.
If you want to switch back to rtw (for example to try MP ) just open configuration and in 'EB engine configuration' select 'Use Rome Total War'

Edited: Link updated.

Theages
04-13-2008, 10:30
I've done everything suggested (copy/ rename the camp. folders) to use BI-exe, but cannot start a new campaign. The game just CTDs as soon as I hit Start Campaign. Is this an issue with the new faction movies? Does anyone know if it is possible to paste the new movie files into the BI folder to make it work, and if so, what files do I put where, and do they need to be renamed? I suppose I can do without the movies, but I'd like to make it as perfect as possible. I was able to start w/ RTW-exe and continue w/ BI, but I'd like to stop switching CDs all the time.

thx in advance

I had this CTD problem after I altered some of the files to enable night battles etc. The cause was a missing 'a' in the noctophiliac trait. Starting a campaign leads to a rebuild of the map.rwm, which involves parsing the EDU etc files. If you made a mistake at altering a file, you will get a CTD.

My standard procedure to use EB and BI is (the character ' only shows the beginning and end of a file or folder name):
1. copy the whole 'Rome - Total war' folder (including subfolders) to a folder named 'EB11'
2. install EB11 to this new 'EB11' folder and add all fixes
3. copy the whole 'EB11' folder to a folder named 'EB11 mod'
4. afterwards only files in the 'EB11 mod' are changed by me
5. Make a copy of the folder 'EB11 mod\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
and rename that copy to: 'barbarian_invasion' (you should now have two folders in the 'campaign' folder called 'imperial_campaign' and 'barbarian_invasion')
6. Make a copy of the file 'EB11 mod\eb\data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_ settlement_names.txt
and rename that copy to 'barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt'
7. Edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion\descr_strat.txt' by using notepad++ or a similar text editor. (DO NOT use Wordpad. There have problems been reported when using wordpad or even the standard windows notepad.)
at the beginning of the file change
'campaign imperial_campaign'
into
'campaign barbarian_invasion'
8. Delete the file 'EB11 mod\eb\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm'
9. Make a shortcut with a targetline '"EB11 mod\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -show_err' (eg: "D:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\EBV11 mod\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -show_err
10. edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt
replace all 'IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_' with 'BARBARIAN_INVASION_'
11. You will use this shortcut to start EB. EB will then use the engine of BI but nothing more (no night battles etc)
12. to enable night battles and the traits for it:
a. Edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion\descr_strat.txt'
change the line ';options bi' to 'options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox'
change the line ';night_battles_enabled' to 'night_battles_enabled'
this gives 4star generals or better the ability to fight during the night
b. edit file 'EB11 mod\EB\Data\export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt'
look for:
Noctophilic
Noctophilic_desc
Noctophilic_effects_desc
Noctophilic_gain_desc
and replace with:
Noctophiliac
Noctophiliac_desc
Noctophiliac_effects_desc
Noctophiliac_gain_desc
and add the following lines immediately before or after the above lines:
Night_Fighter
Night_Fighter_desc
Night_Fighter_effects_desc
c. edit the file 'EB11 mod/eb/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt'
look for ';NIGHT FIGHTING SECTION'
beginning with this line are the triggers for the nightfighting traits

change:

;Trigger diet_of_carrots_1
; WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
;
; Condition Trait NightBattleCapable = 0
; and IsGeneral
; and Attribute Command >= 4
;
; Affects NightBattleCapable 6 Chance 100
;
;;------------------------------------------
;Trigger diet_of_carrots_2
; WhenToTest PostBattle
;
; Condition IsGeneral
; and Attribute Command >= 1
; and IsNightBattle
; and Trait NightBattleCapable = 0
; and WonBattle
;
; Affects NightBattleCapable 6 Chance 100
;
;Trigger night_battle_crushing_victory_attacker
; WhenToTest PostBattle
;
; Condition WasAttacker
; and IsGeneral
; and WonBattle
; and BattleSuccess >= clear
; and BattleOdds < 2
; and IsNightBattle
;
; Affects Noctophilia 1 Chance 100
;
;Trigger night_battle_crushing_victory_defender
; WhenToTest PostBattle
;
; Condition not WasAttacker
; and IsGeneral
; and WonBattle
; and BattleOdds < 2
; and IsNightBattle
;
; Affects Noctophilia 1 Chance 100
;
;Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_attacker
; WhenToTest PostBattle
;
; Condition WasAttacker
; and IsGeneral
; and not WonBattle
; and BattleOdds >= 0.5
; and IsNightBattle
;
; Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66
;
;Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_defender
; WhenToTest PostBattle
;
; Condition not WasAttacker
; and IsGeneral
; and not WonBattle
; and BattleOdds >= 0.5
; and IsNightBattle
;
; Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66

by deleting the leading ';' to:

Trigger diet_of_carrots_1
WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition Trait NightBattleCapable = 0
and IsGeneral
and Attribute Command >= 4

Affects NightBattleCapable 6 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------
Trigger diet_of_carrots_2
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
and Attribute Command >= 1
and IsNightBattle
and Trait NightBattleCapable = 0
and WonBattle

Affects NightBattleCapable 6 Chance 100

Trigger night_battle_crushing_victory_attacker
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and WonBattle
and BattleSuccess >= clear
and BattleOdds < 2
and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophilia 1 Chance 100

Trigger night_battle_crushing_victory_defender
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and WonBattle
and BattleOdds < 2
and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophilia 1 Chance 100

Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_attacker
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and not WonBattle
and BattleOdds >= 0.5
and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66

Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_defender
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and not WonBattle
and BattleOdds >= 0.5
and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66

13. I never bothered with adding shiltrom, swimming, shieldwall etc. since this would result in massive changes in the EDU file

Theages
04-13-2008, 10:36
http://www.imageshack.us/?pickup=80115851814355

Firs time you do it you will get lots of errors. Everything is fine just ignore it.

If you want to switch back to rtw (for example to try MP ) just open configuration and in 'EB engine configuration' select 'Use Rome Total War'

I get the following error at imageshack:
'File upload seems to be abandoned by sender'

LorDBulA
04-13-2008, 11:23
LOL. Tried to use forum upload, guess it didnt work i will use different host.

Btw. This only lets you to play EB with BI. It doesnt add any BI specific features.

phonicsmonkey
04-13-2008, 14:01
hey, I followed Theages instructions and the game launches fine, but on the faction selection screen the heading at the top reads "barbarian_invasion" in lowercase like that, and for each faction there is "NO DESCRIPTION"

seems like it's not reading a file correctly - any idea what might have gone wrong?

Theages
04-13-2008, 18:28
hey, I followed Theages instructions and the game launches fine, but on the faction selection screen the heading at the top reads "barbarian_invasion" in lowercase like that, and for each faction there is "NO DESCRIPTION"

seems like it's not reading a file correctly - any idea what might have gone wrong?

It seems I have forgotten one step:

edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt

that should give the discriptions

Visitor13
04-13-2008, 18:50
1.1 + BI.exe = Makedonia taking Crete and Rhodos, the Seleucids taking Cyprus, and Rome and Carthage duking it out over Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia and the Balearic Islands = one happy Visitor13 :2thumbsup:

Palasta
04-14-2008, 01:02
Errr, it's kinda hard to figure out what exactly is needed to play EB1.1 with BI.exe.

:dizzy2:

Visitor13
04-14-2008, 10:01
Errr, it's kinda hard to figure out what exactly is needed to play EB1.1 with BI.exe.

:dizzy2:

It is? I found the above instructions quite clear, do you need any help?

Palasta
04-14-2008, 12:51
It is? I found the above instructions quite clear, do you need any help?

I've done what Vincent Valentine wrote, downloaded Lordbulas ebconfig.xml and replaced it. Guess that does the job.

thx.

HFox
04-14-2008, 13:37
Set up BI for the first time when 1.1 released.

Worked first time following the above and my lusotan suffer a cathage beach outing every 2 or 3 turns :)....ok they are a bit miffed about loosing their settlements in iberia......but hey....thats progress for you:2thumbsup:

QuintusSertorius
04-14-2008, 13:47
Am I right in gathering I just need the BI executable, not the whole game for this to work?

I've got a backup install of the game at 1.5 presently and BI is at home waiting for me. If I installed BI onto that backup directory, then copied the BI.exe, would I then be able to follow the steps above and use it instead of RTW.exe?

Theages
04-14-2008, 16:11
I've done what Vincent Valentine wrote, downloaded Lordbulas ebconfig.xml and replaced it. Guess that does the job.

thx.

Take care. The trivialscript will replace your map.rwm whenever you choose single player or Multiplayer configuration with a copy from the 'sp game edu backup' - folder. This may lead to CTD, since the copied map.rwm may not be BI-compatible. To be on the safe side copy your map.rwm from the 'eb11 mod\EB\Data\world\maps\base' folder to this folder after having followed my instructions and once having started a compaign using a manually made shortcut (which generates a new BI compatible map.rwm)

LorDBulA
04-14-2008, 16:22
Take care. The trivialscript will replace your map.rwm whenever you choose single player or Multiplayer configuration with a copy from the 'sp game edu backup' - folder. This may lead to CTD, since the copied map.rwm may not be BI-compatible.

It doesnt cause CTD, I am using it and it works fine. If you want to be extra carful you can delete map.rwm from both world folder and sp game edu backup. Start EB, exit, copy new map.rwm to sp game edu backup and you are done. Leave map.rwm file in mp game edu backup folder alone. This way you will be able to play Mp.

Palasta
04-14-2008, 19:45
If you want to be extra carful you can delete map.rwm from both world folder and sp game edu backup. Start EB, exit, copy new map.rwm to sp game edu backup and you are done.

After doing that the game doesn't work anymore and there is no "new map.rwm" to copy anywhere to. :inquisitive:

QuintusSertorius
04-14-2008, 20:39
I've spent about 45 minutes hunting around and can't seem to find something that details this from start to finish. I've got an existing campaign created with rtw.exe, and I want to switch to bi.exe.

Do I need to do a clean uninstall-reinstall, then drop my saved game in the saves directory? Would that work?

What's the process for installing BI? Do I install RTW, patch 1.3, patch 1.5, then BI then 1.6? Then EB1.1 after that?

EDIT: Or am I overcomplicating this? I've got EB as a subdirectory of RTW1.5. Surely all I need to do is upgrade the root rtw folder to BI (and patch it), then make the changes so that EB is pointed at the executable, and using the right folder?

LorDBulA
04-14-2008, 21:26
After doing that the game doesn't work anymore and there is no "new map.rwm" to copy anywhere to.

You have to start EB and start a new campagne for map.rwm file to be generated.

eggthief
04-14-2008, 21:34
Instead of me opening a new thread, I will assume that it won't harm to much for me to ask how to play EB 1.1 trough alex.exe here. I tried reading the instructions at the mod page, but it only gave me confusion and a headache.

QuintusSertorius
04-14-2008, 21:34
I've uninstalled EB and copied over my RTW1.5 backup, then installed BI. Only now it won't install the 1.6 patch, keeps saying it can't find RTW-BI.exe, even when the patch is in the same directory.

Do I need to just start from scratch?

QuintusSertorius
04-14-2008, 22:14
Just done a clean install of RTW + 1.3 + 1.5 + BI, but it still won't install the 1.6 patch.

Help!

EDIT: Apparently it's because the White Label edition is already patched to 1.6.

EDIT II: More importantly, I've got it working.

HamilcarBarca
04-15-2008, 05:08
I got it working too - but its hopelessly unstable!

I get a CTD every 3-4 turns. I have made it to 255 BC but nowthe CTD appears fatal.

That's the end of EB1.1 with BI as far as I am concerned.

Shame though. AI was much better strategically. Much more naval activity and naval invasions.

H.

QuintusSertorius
04-15-2008, 09:05
Mine's been fine so far, but I did do a clean uninstall-reinstall.

mcantu
04-15-2008, 12:48
I got it working too - but its hopelessly unstable!

I get a CTD every 3-4 turns. I have made it to 255 BC but nowthe CTD appears fatal.

That's the end of EB1.1 with BI as far as I am concerned.

Shame though. AI was much better strategically. Much more naval activity and naval invasions.

H.

I suggest using Ferromancer's EB for BI Installer w/o the EDU options...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=88717

Theages
04-15-2008, 15:49
As far as I know Ferromancers tool has not been updated to EB 11. It replaces the descr_strat.txt with a version based on EB10. Therefore it should not be compatible with Eb 11.

mcantu
04-15-2008, 16:11
I thought it just copied over the nessecary folders/files from the EB install...

I've been using the old 0.81 version on 1.1 with no problems, even during beta testing 1.0 and 1.1

Palasta
04-15-2008, 17:17
I thought it just copied over the nessecary folders/files from the EB install...

I've been using the old 0.81 version on 1.1 with no problems, even during beta testing 1.0 and 1.1

Well, that sounds good.

Before i install and test it myself, do i have to do anything else besides downloading and installing it?

hrrypttrbst
04-15-2008, 19:18
does somebody know how to get the campaing descriptions to work? I can't see to fight a way

phonicsmonkey
04-16-2008, 05:14
does somebody know how to get the campaing descriptions to work? I can't see to fight a way

yes, I do - I had this problem and Theages solved it for me thus:

It seems I have forgotten one step:

edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt

that should give the discriptions

this worked for me

QuintusSertorius
04-16-2008, 10:09
I didn't find that worked at all.

hrrypttrbst
04-16-2008, 11:08
that is what i did and that didn't work for me,maybe i'm missing something else?

hellenes
04-17-2008, 22:17
Can anyone make nomad factions to form hordes? Plz?

HamilcarBarca
04-18-2008, 19:06
Hey mcantu, thanks for the tip.:idea2:

ferromancers installer did the trick for me. I have also added the 1.1 fixes and find that I now have a stable EB 1.1 with BI.:2thumbsup:

H.

Sarkiss
04-18-2008, 19:44
Hey mcantu, thanks for the tip.:idea2:

ferromancers installer did the trick for me. I have also added the 1.1 fixes and find that I now have a stable EB 1.1 with BI.:2thumbsup:

H.
did you just install it without the EDU options? did it involve any other editing on your side at all, or the installer does all the work?
thanks

Long lost Caesar
04-20-2008, 12:38
On Theages guide, I need some help, since somethings really confused me.

I've done step 1 through to step 11 (I left out 12 since I didn't see the point in having night battles either) but step 9 really just doesn't want to work.

I assume that the shortcut that needs to be edited is EB 1.1 Singleplayer, but every time I try and edit the 'Start in' box I always get the same pop up box when I press enter. The box says

The folder '"C:\Program Files\ EB 1.1 Mod\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -show_err' specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and the path is correct

The problem is the path is correct and the folder does exist. Any suggestions? Cheers

QuintusSertorius
04-20-2008, 12:40
Oh dear, you didn't install the game in Program Files did you?

Long lost Caesar
04-20-2008, 12:59
Ive done step 1-11 (didnt do 12 since I don't wanna bother about night battles) but some reason step 9 (changing the route of the shortcut) doesn't work. I assume that I go into the EB 1.1 Mod folder, down to EB Singleplayer, properties, and the 'Start in' box. I change the destination to the new folder, and to RomeTW-BI.exe (as the BI shortcut is named in the folder) and then add on the mod:eb and all that at the end of it, but when I press enter it says it cant find it, claiming that I need to check the route and that the folder exists. Its all there, so why won't my computer recognise it? Cheers

Long lost Caesar
04-20-2008, 13:46
sorry for posting twice, didnt realise there was a second page :dizzy2:

i know its stupid that i installed it there but my computer wouldn't let me install it anywhere else! Besides, even though it was not recommended to install on C I was told it was a Vista only problem, and since I have XP that shouldn't be a problem for me.

Theages
04-20-2008, 16:19
Ive done step 1-11 (didnt do 12 since I don't wanna bother about night battles) but some reason step 9 (changing the route of the shortcut) doesn't work. I assume that I go into the EB 1.1 Mod folder, down to EB Singleplayer, properties, and the 'Start in' box. I change the destination to the new folder, and to RomeTW-BI.exe (as the BI shortcut is named in the folder) and then add on the mod:eb and all that at the end of it, but when I press enter it says it cant find it, claiming that I need to check the route and that the folder exists. Its all there, so why won't my computer recognise it? Cheers

Better than trying to change a shortcut is creating a new one.
One procedure for creating a 'manual' shortcut is:
1. with windows explorer (or any file manager) browse to the folder, that contains 'rometw_bi.exe' (the 'EB11 mod' folder)
2. while right-clicking drag the file to a free space on your desktop
3. release the right mouse button
4. a context menu appears, click on 'create shortcut' (I hope that is the english translation of the german 'Verknüpfung hier erstellen')
5. edit this shortcut to add the mod:eb switch

Long lost Caesar
04-20-2008, 16:23
Thanks, I'll give it a go, although I'm gonna retry your original guide now that I've reinstalled BI and EB, this time not in Program Files. Cheers

Theages
04-20-2008, 17:13
I have updated my 'guide' on the first page. It seems I had missed to correct the spelling error in 'Noctophilic_gain_desc'. This should also be corrected to 'Noctophiliac_gain_desc' in the file 'EB11 mod\EB\Data\export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt'

Long lost Caesar
04-20-2008, 17:33
Just a couple of final questions before I give it a shot, does BI need to be patched? And when Theages' guide says that the game needs to have the fixes added on, what exactly does that mean? I don't know what these fixes are, where to find them and, more importantly, which ones to add. Cheers

QuintusSertorius
04-21-2008, 00:51
BI has to be patched to 1.6. If you've got the White Label edition, it's already there.

QuintusSertorius
04-21-2008, 09:48
Here's a question: can I go back to rtw.exe having been playing with bi.exe for a while? Are they freely interchangeable? Do I need to uninstall-reinstall, or can I just change the filenames/foldernames/TrivialScript?

Long lost Caesar
04-21-2008, 16:36
ah, looks like i'll have to get those patches then. can anyone link me them, since i can't remember what versions there are and i can't even find a site that has them! (i'm pretty sure it was v 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6, but i could be wrong) cheers

Palasta
04-21-2008, 17:20
ah, looks like i'll have to get those patches then. can anyone link me them, since i can't remember what versions there are and i can't even find a site that has them! (i'm pretty sure it was v 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6, but i could be wrong) cheers

www.totalwar.com

QuintusSertorius
04-21-2008, 17:22

No you don't. You only need 1.3, 1.5 and (assuming your BI doesn't come with it) 1.6. All are on totalwar.com.

I've discovered that you can indeed move between BI and RTW as your executables with the same saved game. However you need to reinstall each time you switch or things don't work. Probably a 1.5 v 1.6 compatibility thing.

Long lost Caesar
04-21-2008, 18:47
No you don't. You only need 1.3, 1.5 and (assuming your BI doesn't come with it) 1.6. All are on totalwar.com.

Thanks man, I've gone on totalwar.com and have the 1.6 patch ready to put on, but i can't find the links to download 1.3 or 1.5 anywhere on the site. Any ideas? Cheers

Palasta
04-21-2008, 20:17
Thanks man, I've gone on totalwar.com and have the 1.6 patch ready to put on, but i can't find the links to download 1.3 or 1.5 anywhere on the site. Any ideas? Cheers

They are on the same site located as the 1.6 patch.

http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/en/support/supportrome.html&nav=/en/7/3/

:inquisitive:

Long lost Caesar
04-21-2008, 20:37
yes, but if you read the text it says the patches are first for Alex, then Vanilla, and Barbarian Invasion only has 1.6 there.

Palasta
04-21-2008, 20:46
Install in the following order

R:TW -> patch 1.3 -> patch 1.5 -> Barbarian Invasion -> patch 1.6

QuintusSertorius
04-21-2008, 20:48
I'm thinking now I might keep two installs of the game, one with rtw.exe, and another with bi.exe. Then when my Second Punic War starts, I can have a naval-invading Qarthadast, but once it's done, back to the old executable.

mcantu
04-21-2008, 20:57

Installing BI automatically gets RTW up to 1.4. Installing the BI 1.6 patch gets RTW to 1.5

RTW--> BI--> patch 1.6

Long lost Caesar
04-22-2008, 16:24
3) Next, go to ''eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign''. Copy ''imperial_campaign'' and rename it to ''barbarian_invasion''. Then delete map.rwm (if yo have already played a campaign).

What happens if you haven't started a campaign, do you simply leave it there?

Theages
04-23-2008, 15:57
EB V1.1 comes with a pre-made map.rwm. So you definitely should delete it (and the copy in the "backup folder" 'sp game edu backup' if you use TrivialScript). Since there already is a hotfix stated as not retroactive, I even would recommend the deletion even if no alteration to EB is made.

Incongruous
05-03-2008, 00:51

Edited: Link updated.

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't get how I am supposed to do this, what is the engine configuration?

Ibrahim
05-04-2008, 04:02
It's quite easy actually:

1) Right-click on your EB1.1 icon, then on properties. Search for a line where it says something like ''RomeTW-exe''. Just change that to ''RomeTW-BI.exe''.

2) Go to the folder you have EB installed, and copy the .txt file in eb/data/text called ''imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt''/ Rename the copy to ''barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt''.

4) This is optional, but it's a nice extra. Go to your RTW's original folder and locate the ''bi'' file. From there go to data\ui\"pick a culture"\interface and copy battlepage_03. Now paste it in your eb\data\ui\''every culture''\interface. This enables the shieldwall and schiltrom battle icons. Now you can alter the EDU (export_descr_unit) file to your likeness. You can, for example, give the ''shield_wall'' ability next to the formation line for a certain unit. Same goes with schiltrom. You can also add the ''can_swim'' ability to any unit next to the attributes line.

Have fun!!1

1-is it possible to apply this to a EB 1.1 with trivial script? (just in case)
2-savegame compatible?

KhaziOfKalabara
05-07-2008, 13:47
7. Edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion\descr_strat.txt' by using notepad++ or a similar text editor. (DO NOT use Wordpad. There have problems been reported when using wordpad or even the standard windows notepad.)
at the beginning of the file change
'campaign imperial_campaign'
into
'campaign barbarian_invasion'

12. to enable night battles and the traits for it:
a. Edit the file 'EBV11 mod\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion\descr_strat.txt'
change the line ';options bi' to 'options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox'
change the line ';night_battles_enabled' to 'night_battles_enabled'
this gives 4star generals or better the ability to fight during the night

13. I never bothered with adding shiltrom, swimming, shieldwall etc. since this would result in massive changes in the EDU file

This all worked perfectly for me (once I realised that my RTW needed patching to 1.5 :embarassed: ) - thanks for the tip.

But could you please clarify there a reason for the section I've highlighted? Is it necessary to use 'options bi' instead of 'options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox' to get the schiltrom, shieldwall etc. to work?

Theages
05-07-2008, 16:38
Since I am no specialist I do not know for certain, if 'options bi' is required for schiltrom etc to work. Reading through many threads seemed to reveal, that the 'options +...' only activates the night battle tick box and nothing else (which seems to be more compatible with the RomeTW_ALX.exe [my installation instructions are partly derived from the instructions for ALX, most go back to a very old thread for EB 0.xx]). So I would guess that 'options bi' should be required for schiltrom to work.

Take care. Using 'options bi' (by removing the leading ';' from the line in desc_strat.txt) will not by itself allow schiltrom , swimming etc. For that you would have to heavily edit the export_desc_unit (EDU) file. Additionally you would have to copy over the BI UI files for the battleicons.

I have found one strange thing. I have been playing Sauromatae recently. Even when my general has 4 'natural' command stars, which should enable him to fight a night battle, the tick box is greyed out (he is shown as an 8 star general on that page). I also never got the 'Night Fighter' trait for a general, which is due to never being attacked at night and never having a general with the inborn ability 'Night Fighter'. All new generals came without it.

With Epirus and Arche Seleukeia night battles are no problems. Currently I have no clue as to why Sauromatae do not get to fight at night.

Has anyone else also problems for some factions ?

LorDBulA
05-07-2008, 18:23
Hi, I'm sorry but I don't get how I am supposed to do this, what is the engine configuration?

Its a combo box.
After you replace old ebconfig.xml with new one you will notice change in eb configuration window.
It will now include combo box titled "EB engine configuration".

DeathEmperor
05-10-2008, 07:46
@ Theages: I did everything you posted, but I encounter a problem when I do step 12 part c. of your instructions.

After I deleted all the ';' as you wrote I always CTD when I either loaded a save game or started a new one. I found out it was this part when I deleted my edited 'export_descr_character_traits.txt' and replaced it with my back-up. Everything else is working okay so it seems this is the only hurdle in my way before I can fight night battles. :help:

Theages
05-10-2008, 09:14
@ Theages: I did everything you posted, but I encounter a problem when I do step 12 part c. of your instructions.

After I deleted all the ';' as you wrote I always CTD when I either loaded a save game or started a new one. I found out it was this part when I deleted my edited 'export_descr_character_traits.txt' and replaced it with my back-up. Everything else is working okay so it seems this is the only hurdle in my way before I can fight night battles. :help:

That looks like you deleted at least one ';' to few or too many. Only remove the first ';' from each line starting at line ';Trigger diet_of_carrots_1' to the line 'Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66' in the ';Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_defender' block.

Do not use windows notepad or wordpad to edit the file. Use a text-editor like notepad++ . Windows notepad may corrupt your file due to codepage issues.

You could try the files found here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-841983/EB-for-BI.rar.html

DeathEmperor
05-10-2008, 12:06
Yes I only deleted the ';' in each line and left one at the '-------' points. I was right in that it was this part that was causing me trouble and you were correct as well. Notepad was corrupting the file when I edited it with it :embarassed:

Thank you for that link you posted! I just downloaded and extracted them and replaced my export_descr_character_traits.txt with the already modified one, and now I can finally fight my battles night and day :2thumbsup:

Quintus Aurelius
05-11-2008, 10:32
That looks like you deleted at least one ';' to few or too many. Only remove the first ';' from each line starting at line ';Trigger diet_of_carrots_1' to the line 'Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66' in the ';Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_defender' block.

Do not use windows notepad or wordpad to edit the file. Use a text-editor like notepad++ . Windows notepad may corrupt your file due to codepage issues.

You could try the files found here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-841983/EB-for-BI.rar.html

Thank you very much for the files, i think for many people they are very useful.

Dunadd
05-13-2008, 23:35
I installed EB1.1 for BI1.6 using the installer exe someone kindly made for EB1.0 with BI and it seems to work.

I'd like to use shield wall but i'd like to turn schiltrom off both because its unhistorical and because it makes the AI use light infantry spearmen very badly (they all just sit in schiltrom when i have any cavalry so i can ignore them and fight them one at a time later).

Is it possible to do that and if so can anyone please tell me how?

Someone posted this :

edit - have found the battlepage_03 files in some cultures' interface folders - but which folder do i go to to find the right export_descr_unit file to alter. Is it the RTW data folder in the RTW-BI folder i installed BI and EB1.1 to? Or is it the data folder in the EB folder inside that? Or the bi folder in the RTW-BI installation folder?

Also if i install shieldwall and schiltrom using the EB for BI installer exe would there be any way to remove schiltrom but keep schiltrom after that? Or to edit it for certain units?

Skandinav
05-14-2008, 00:26
Its a combo box.
After you replace old ebconfig.xml with new one you will notice change in eb configuration window.
It will now include combo box titled "EB engine configuration".

I&#180;ve downloaded the ebconfig.xml and replaced it but cannot see any changes in the EB configuration window, any idea what might cause this or what I may have done wrong?

EDIT: Theages guide works fine and I have manually changed the settings for things like those pesky green arrow markers and minimal hud so it is not really important with the configuration window. Still wondering what I may have done wrong though, since it still doesn&#180;t show with the engine configuration box.

Illian the Mediocre
05-15-2008, 11:20
I have manually changed the settings for things like those pesky green arrow markers and minimal hud

How do you do this? I'd love to get rid of those arrows...minimal HUD would be good as well as i've got used to it in Med2:TW, and can't stand going back to a big chunky HUD.

EDIT: Never mind, I found out by searching the forums. Thankyou though, if I hadn't seen you mention it on here I wouldn't have even thought to look. Will be much better without those arrows. Cheers!

Skandinav
05-16-2008, 02:58
Cheers mate!

LorDBulA
05-16-2008, 08:44
I´ve downloaded the ebconfig.xml and replaced it but cannot see any changes in the EB configuration window, any idea what might cause this or what I may have done wrong?

Either you have put it in wrong folder (should be RTW folder ) or you have Vista and you have installed RTW in Program Files directory.

ForVictory
05-16-2008, 23:27
Im really dissapointed with BI for EB. As the Romans i attacked Carthage and took the sourthen Italian city from Epiros for playtesting and after about 10 turns Eperos only blockaded my porn while a large stack was just waiting across to get shipped all the time and about after 7 or 8 turns Carthage finally naval invade my near rome but only with a louzy 3 unit!
With other mods BI seems to work alot better in my experience.

Dunadd
05-17-2008, 00:33
Theages wrote
Using 'options bi' (by removing the leading ';' from the line in export_desc_strat.txt) will not by itself allow schiltrom , swimming etc. For that you would have to heavily edit the export_desc_unit (EDU) file.

What editing would you have to do to get shield wall working for heavy infantry? (other than adding ', shield_wall' to the formation line for each unit in the EDU)?

Theages wrote
Additionally you would have to copy over the BI UI files for the battleicons.

Could you tell me what those files are called, what folder they're in and which folder i'd have to paste them into ? (also any other changes i'd need to make)?

thanks for any help you can give

P.S I worked out what this below (from page 1 of this thread) means:

Quote:

This sounds like battlepage_03 contains the icons you're talking about ? , but when i do it it never brings up shield wall icons in battle for units i've added ', shield_wall' to the formation lines for in the EDU - and when i exit the game the EDU has always reverted to the original version.

P.S.S what exactly does the trivial script do? I've replaced my ebconfig.xml with the one referred to for download earlier in the thread for use with BI and set config to use BI as game engine

Theages
05-17-2008, 10:42
I actually never tried to make the changes to the EDU myself.
But as far as I can say all you did, sounds OK. Your problem just seems to be the use of Trivial Script to start the game.

Trivial Script not only provides a frontend but also changes some game settings (Lighting, markers etc.). As far as I can say it always replaces the EDU with a copy of the EDU from the folder 'sp game edu backup' (and also your map.rwm with a probably outdated version [after applying the hotfixes marked as 'not retroactive' you really should let the program rebuild the map.rwm). That is why you lose all changes in the EDU (and probably all hotfixes marked as 'not retroactive'). Put your altered EDU also in this folder to prevent this.
An alternative would be to not use Trivial Script at all. Make your own shortcut to start the game.

If you want to use the Trivial Script, you should
1. delete the map.rwm ('base' and 'sp game edu backup' folders)
2. replace the EDU with your version in the folders 'DATA' and 'sp game edu backup'
3. make a manual shortcut to start the game
4. Start a new campaign (to let the program rebuild the map.rwm).
5. quit the game
6. copy the newly created map.rwm from 'base' folder to 'sp game edu backup'
7. then you should be able to use Trivial Script.

Skandinav
05-18-2008, 07:20
Either you have put it in wrong folder (should be RTW folder ) or you have Vista and you have installed RTW in Program Files directory.

It was pretty strange but it seems I had to restart my computer before any changes were made to the configuration window, thanks anyway.

pantsukki
05-23-2008, 13:10
My standard procedure to use EB and BI is (the character ' only shows the beginning and end of a file or folder name):
1. copy the whole 'Rome - Total war' folder (including subfolders) to a folder named 'EB11'

I'm trying to get over the Runtime error (R6025 pure virtual function call) that has been mentioned by a few others too. You wrote before that using the BI.exe might help with it. But I've got one (stupid) question: am I right assuming that the folder your're referring to is RTW with BI installed?

Skandinav
05-23-2008, 18:34
The faction descriptions from the New Campaign menu are all missing , would any be as kind as to tell me how I get these back or if their absence are even BI.exe related ?

Theages
05-23-2008, 22:30
The faction descriptions from the New Campaign menu are all missing , would any be as kind as to tell me how I get these back or if their absence are even BI.exe related ?

Theages
05-23-2008, 22:38
I'm trying to get over the Runtime error (R6025 pure virtual function call) that has been mentioned by a few others too. You wrote before that using the BI.exe might help with it. But I've got one (stupid) question: am I right assuming that the folder your're referring to is RTW with BI installed?

'Rome - Total War' is the folder where you have installed vanilla Rome. This is the same folder into which BI is installed. It is the folder where the RomeTW.exe, RomeTW-BI.exe and RomeTW-ALX.exe (if you have installed Alexander addon) are to be found. In my case it is: 'D:\Games\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War'

pantsukki
05-24-2008, 10:58
Damn, I'm still getting the runtime error, despite changing to the BI.exe. But thanks anyways for your help.

Redshank
05-24-2008, 15:12

Oddly enough Theages, when I followed your steps for BI everything worked perfectly except the factional descriptions on the campaign select screens. For some reason, opening 'campaign_descriptions.txt' and changing all instances of 'BARBARIAN_INVASION' back to 'IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN' (as it was before the file was edited) fixed the problem for me and the descriptions all came back - even though I'm playing on RTW-BI.exe :dizzy2:

Perhaps a few people are experiencing the same phenomenon ?

Skandinav
05-24-2008, 22:58

I am fairly sure I have done this correctly and my campaign descriptions are still missing, perhaps that I forgot to edit this one document in notepad ++, although I was mindful not to I recollect.

Theages
05-25-2008, 16:57
Also check 'descr_strat.txt'
when there is the line 'campaign imperial_campaign' the program looks for 'imperial_campaign_' in 'campaign_descriptions.txt'
when there is the line 'campaign barbarian_invasion' the program looks for 'barbarian_invasion_' in 'campaign_descriptions.txt'
always check if you have edited the files in the correct subfolder of EB

svramj
05-28-2008, 04:18
2 questions though....
can we add religions and loyalty to EB using BI.exe
and what exactly does the trivial script do ??? and am i missing out something when i play with out the trivial script ??

Dunadd
05-30-2008, 21:10
I used the installer Ferromancer made for using EB1.0 or 0.89 that ferromancer made - but without ticking the options for night battles or shield wall etc when installing.

Then i did as Theages and Maron suggested for getting shield wall to work (see earlier in this thread).

It worked fine for a long time then i got a recurring crash whenever i captured Athens and had to give up on my campaign.

Ferromancer
06-20-2008, 02:46
Hello everybody! I would like to let you know that I'm finally back and currently working on updating my installer to version 1.1 of EB.

I am also going to remove schiltrom because it's horribly horribly broken after much testing. Two problems with it. The AI sometimes gets confused and puts a unit into schiltrom (in the middle of nowhere on a field sometimes) and just leaves it there to be slaughtered. Second, it seems while schiltrom is sometimes effective against a cavalry rush, I've noticed that some units will stand there and do nothing when engaging in hand-to-hand. It doesn't matter if it's a strong unit or weak unit, but many times the schiltrom will kill not a single enemy unit! Something is screwy and it will have to wait until EB2.0 to put schiltrom back into the game.

I feature I will be adding is for a troop to carry torches during night battles. If possible I will make it so it's an optional feature in the installer.

Wish me luck.

Maion Maroneios
06-20-2008, 13:53
I'm actually almost finished with my project, which will make it possible to play EB with the BI engine, as well as many BI extras like night battles, special BI formations and attributes, as well as hording abilities for the Sweboz, Saka Rauka, Sauromatae and Getai. I'm now working on the EDU file, which will probably take some time, so maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow it will be finished.

Ferromancer
06-21-2008, 16:09
Maion... have you ever seen my mod before? Because it basically sounds like you've duplicated what I've done already (minus hording).

Maion Maroneios
06-21-2008, 16:24
Not really, I don't lurk much here (apart from chaking my topic, that is), I actually know few mods like MAA's City mod, FD mod and the AI formations mod (which I actually use in my own campaigns). Anyways it wouldn't be able to ''duplicate'' you work, as I don't know you and as such don't even know what you have changed/added/altered in your mod.

Ferromancer
06-21-2008, 16:31
Not really, I don't lurk much here (apart from chaking my topic, that is), I actually know few mods like MAA's City mod, FD mod and the AI formations mod (which I actually use in my own campaigns). Anyways it wouldn't be able to ''duplicate'' you work, as I don't know you and as such don't even know what you have changed/added/altered in your mod.

Read this. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=95664)

Maion Maroneios
06-21-2008, 16:48
Aha, I see. I wish you further luck then!

DionCaesar
07-09-2008, 17:06
Hi all.. I've always wanted to play EB on BI, and now I think I've done it. What I've done is downloaded LorDBulA's file (post 14 of this thread), and did what he told to do with it. When I start my game now, it plays the BI intro movie and everything runs fine, but I'm still not sure if everything else is right.. I haven't changed anything in any folders, apart from swapping the XML files. The point is that I'm not sure if I now have the improved BI AI (the other extras like night battles and warcry etc. don't bother me).
So I'm confused, and I hope someone can tell me if I actually did it right.~:confused:~:confused:

BTW I was able to continue my current campaign, so changing from RTW.exe to BI.exe is save compatible, or is this a sign that I did it totally wrong?
~:confused:
Thx in advance.

Tollheit
09-12-2008, 23:58

This did not work for me. It copied the files, but still started only RomeTW.exe, so I manually changed the original ebconfig.xml following your previous advice (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1886060&postcount=7), which worked fine.

KARTLOS
01-25-2009, 03:21
I installed EB1.1 for BI1.6 using the installer exe someone kindly made for EB1.0 with BI and it seems to work.

I'd like to use shield wall but i'd like to turn schiltrom off both because its unhistorical and because it makes the AI use light infantry spearmen very badly (they all just sit in schiltrom when i have any cavalry so i can ignore them and fight them one at a time later).

Is it possible to do that and if so can anyone please tell me how?

Someone posted this :

edit - have found the battlepage_03 files in some cultures' interface folders - but which folder do i go to to find the right export_descr_unit file to alter. Is it the RTW data folder in the RTW-BI folder i installed BI and EB1.1 to? Or is it the data folder in the EB folder inside that? Or the bi folder in the RTW-BI installation folder?

Also if i install shieldwall and schiltrom using the EB for BI installer exe would there be any way to remove schiltrom but keep schiltrom after that? Or to edit it for certain units?

has anyone got a link to this, i have tried the instructions to make this work manually and seem t obe hitting a brick wall!

Ferromancer
01-28-2009, 05:43
Checkout my installer, it should do everything you need it to do to get EB working with BI. Click on the link in my signature. Have fun!