PDA

View Full Version : Stele #5

Merlkir
04-11-2008, 16:14
Hello,
I'm a new concept artist for Europa Barbarorum II and it's my pleasure today to tell you something about how these concept artworks are made.
The first task I got was to paint the Gestikapoinann, Lusitanian spearmen. I liked the patterns they have on their shields and also the equipment was rather simple so it was a good starting piece. I was supplied with good information by the wonderful historians of EB. If I needed anything more, I just had to ask ;)
The process of painting/drawing concept art varies with different projects. I could sketch the characters and paint right away, I could sketch and paint quickly to get the atmosphere right...
Since EB II is so much based on historical accuracy, I decided to paint it as real looking as I could. That meant getting a friend of mine pose for a reference photo so I can get the pose and anatomy just right. He posed for both characters and it was rather complicated, but it all worked out in the end. Then I would sketch in the bone structure to see how the clothing and armor would fold and deform.
After that comes the actual hard work. Painting everything in shades of grey. I chose this approach because it allows me more control of values and shape definition. I kept adding detail until I was satisfied with the result. I also posted a WIP version on the forums for approval. It looked like this. You can see that only the soldier on the left is detailed, the right one is still unfinished.

https://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5394/gestikapoinannwip1ce2.jpg

People noticed some glitches in anatomy and also perspective of the round shields. I fixed those. (or at least tried to ;) the best I could)
Then came the next stage which was adding color. I tried several color schemes until I was happy with the result. Then I painted in the background. I didn't think about it much and it was still missing something. The colors were right, the lighting was ok, but it just lacked something. Through some tricks with paper textures I achieved a more „traditional“ painting look and suddenly the background looked more interesting. Also it got the picture closer to what I was trying to achieve the whole time. I really admire the historical work Angus McBride has done for Osprey books. I tried to come a bit closer to his style than my usual own.

This is the finished painting of Gestikapoinann. I hope you've enjoyed this Stele. If you have any questions about the process or painting in general, feel free to ask. I might even answer ;)
Also, I would like to ask anyone willing to help EB II and concept art in particular to go to this thread :(not only will you help EB, but you'll also get your name in the mod's credits :)

link to the relevant help thread:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=101990

http://sweb.cz/synnaskole/GestikapoinannF.jpg

sator
04-11-2008, 17:37
That is just beautiful :2thumbsup:

antisocialmunky
04-11-2008, 17:41
Nice. One of these days, when EB1 is done, they need to put together a scrapbook with all the concept art and stuff.

Strategos Alexandros
04-11-2008, 18:08
:2thumbsup: Those are great! (I assume you're the same Merlkir that paints LOTR art as well?)

Puppyonastik
04-11-2008, 19:01
Beautiful work, Merlkir. Thanks for sharing this Stele with us. :)

Merlkir
04-11-2008, 19:14
:2thumbsup: Those are great! (I assume you're the same Merlkir that paints LOTR art as well?)
I guess I am :)

Kepper
04-11-2008, 20:35
Beautiful work

Gebeleisis
04-11-2008, 21:13
really nice one merlkir,and btw,are you romanian?

General Appo
04-11-2008, 22:40
Beautiful.

Merlkir
04-11-2008, 22:48
really nice one merlkir,and btw,are you romanian?
nope, I'm czech :) why would you think I was romanian?

Teleklos Archelaou
04-11-2008, 22:57
Probably your sig banner.

Merlkir
04-11-2008, 22:58
oh. I see. I don't have a favourite faction really, I just picked one with a pretty picture :)

Cadwalader
04-12-2008, 00:19
That is propably more worthy the history books than any illustration made. Brilliant!

The General
04-12-2008, 08:27
Beauwiful. :yes:

Ayce
04-12-2008, 12:43
nope, I'm czech :) why would you think I was romanian?

Probably because the Lusitani guy looks just like a Dacian warrior in various pieces of computer artwork.

Mithridates VI Eupator
04-12-2008, 14:58
Great concept art!
Looking forward to seeing more of this soon.

Merlkir
04-12-2008, 16:42
Great concept art!
Looking forward to seeing more of this soon.

that depends also on the fans :) if I get any reference photos at all.

Chirurgeon
04-13-2008, 15:30
Excellent work. I think people take for granted the process of creating a game like this. The size of the team and the amount of coordination must be phenomenal. Keep up the good work and we all love your contributions!

Anthony III
04-16-2008, 03:21
WOW !! :2thumbsup: Amazing work Merlkir !!!

I would like to ask anyone willing to help EB II and concept art in particular to go to this thread :(not only will you help EB, but you'll also get your name in the mod's credits :)

From what I've been told, getting your name in the credits depends on more than just helping.

Merlkir
04-16-2008, 06:22
God, of course not! This was approved by other EB guys as well, it's official! Who sends a photo that I can use - that person will get into the credits.
People, NOBODY has helped so far! I'm kind of disappointed, I thought EB fan community was better than this...

edit: I see. Thanks to those who PMd me. This was quite cheap, Anthony II or whatever your name is.

Puppyonastik
04-16-2008, 10:51
Who needs friends to take pictures with when you have EB, amirite? ;) You expect us to come up with friends so quick after we have spent all this time loosing them with our EB addictions? :P I guess I can search for some homeless folk who can stand still for 5 minutes. >_>

paullus
04-18-2008, 15:14
or shoot, take 3 pictures of yourself in different positions in the same background shot, then combine them manually in a paint program.

BerkeleyBoi
04-21-2008, 08:07
Wow, these look beautiful!

Is there any way to use these drawings and paintings in replacement of the ones currently used in the in-game pop ups and game menus?

Intrepid Adventurer
04-21-2008, 08:12
Absolutely stunning, I am so incredibly jealous at your skills! I look forward to seeing more of your work for EB!

bovi
04-21-2008, 23:50
From what I've been told, getting your name in the credits depends on more than just helping.
Yes, of course. It depends on not asking to have it removed. If prior condition is true, answering 'yes' when asked if you want it back would help.

the_handsome_viking
04-26-2008, 23:22
Really nice work dude.

Dumbass
05-25-2008, 17:37
That is really beautiful. You certainly don't squander on the detail.
May I ask what medium you are using? (it looks like acrylics)

Sarcasm
06-02-2008, 20:27
Digital.

Dumbass
06-03-2008, 16:44
Digital? I thought he said he painted it himself?

Strategos Alexandros
06-03-2008, 19:03
He could have used a graphics pad.

Sarcasm
06-03-2008, 22:19
Digital? I thought he said he painted it himself?
There's such a thing as a digital brush.

Dumbass
06-04-2008, 16:24
That's not really painting though, but more graphics design.

Sarcasm
06-04-2008, 19:27
Nope, that's painting, trust me. Just 'cause you're using a different canvas and set of brushes (though not really), it doesn't mean you're not painting just the same. Mind you, I'm not referring to just using a cut and paste, and applying layers and filters - you're actually really painting. If you haven't witnessed a digital painting in the process of being made, I suggest you do. I'm sure you'll change your mind.

Dumbass
06-05-2008, 17:04
What does it consist of? Is an interactive whiteboard the canvas and one of those penny things the brush?

Sarcasm
06-05-2008, 22:37
What does it consist of? Is an interactive whiteboard the canvas and one of those penny things the brush?

He uses a wacom, I assume. It's a pad, and a pen which recognizes speed, angle and pressure. You can then select different brushes on the program, and you'll be...for the lack of a better word...painting.

Merlkir
06-10-2008, 10:43
oh god. Seriously...I don't feel like describing the process, but digital painting is just as painting as using oils, watercolor or anything else.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=58_GruOfYo4

I don't have this super expensive cintiq though, rather a cheap Aiptek tablet. (I don't draw on the screen directly...)
But the idea is the same.

blacksnail
06-10-2008, 21:14
It's pretty amazing to watch somebody paint digitally. It is very much analogous with painting on canvas and very much not graphic design.

Shigawire
06-21-2008, 23:06
Oh yes, it's very much not graphic design. I got a Wacom Intuos A4, again not a Cintiq screen but a tablet. But no matter how good my tablet is doesn't matter, I don't have Merlkir's skills! ;)

Fantastic work Merlkir! It's kinda cool that a game modification can count such talented people as yourself among its members.
Can't wait to see the rest.

Bloody Sacha
11-14-2009, 19:01
Merlkir hah, go figure dude, we've bumped into each other several times on Deviantart, though I doubt I've left a significant impression. Were both quite dedicated to the work of Angus McBride if I recall, so I shouldn't at all be a surprise to see you here. Either way its good to see that these guys are in good hands.

Is that "Nate" guy responsible for many if not all of EB1s load screens still around? I enjoyed his work quite a bit actually. Particularly the Galatians.

EDIT::
It occurs to me that I may have resurrected a truly ancient fossil, my apologies.

Moros
11-15-2009, 17:47
Merlkir hah, go figure dude, we've bumped into each other several times on Deviantart, though I doubt I've left a significant impression. Were both quite dedicated to the work of Angus McBride if I recall, so I shouldn't at all be a surprise to see you here. Either way its good to see that these guys are in good hands.

Is that "Nate" guy responsible for many if not all of EB1s load screens still around? I enjoyed his work quite a bit actually. Particularly the Galatians.

EDIT::
It occurs to me that I may have resurrected a truly ancient fossil, my apologies.
Nate is the one who did most of the unit concepting art for EB I, yes.

Visarion
11-15-2009, 22:23
nice