PDA

View Full Version : Town Garrison?

madtomic
04-13-2008, 20:18
Just wondering what everyone else is doing for garrisons. :) I mainly use Hastati but too bad we can't have access to Vigiles early on. :smash:

I missed the Town Guards from Van.

Dhampir
04-13-2008, 23:24
Four units of archers, if available, and two units of some kind of spearmen. With battles on easy, that's usually enough to hold a city against AI attacks.

Korlon
04-14-2008, 02:43
Generally skirmishers. Cheap. If it's on the front lines, if I have phalangitai, then four's usually enough, more if the city's big as there are more entrances to the town square. If no phalangitai, then some good armored infantry on guard mode is usually sufficient, but I need more.

Olaf The Great
04-16-2008, 20:02
Phalanx capable militia if possible, levy spear types if not.
In Stone cities I need as many archers as possible, to burn down towers and rams.

In areas with little chance of attack I just get some lower quality units.

For Casse colonies(a quirk of mine) I use mostly Medium quality troops with archers for stone walls and heavy spearmen in dangerous areas.

Titus Marcellus Scato
04-17-2008, 11:14
For important cities near a border, I have at least one spear unit to hold the front gate in case the enemy bash it down.

Otherwise I use the cheapest unit my faction has available (cheapest being the cheapest PER MAN cost.) These are usually slingers or skirmishers for most factions (possibly archers in the East.)

Leves are great for Roman garrisons, as are Accensi.

Darth Stalin
04-19-2008, 11:49
The best defence of a city is a good field army nearby to catch and destroy any enemy army that may lay siege on aour city...
In fact even on VH campaign and H battles I'm using 1 unit of leves or accensi no matter where the city is. It's only a matter of having good army nearby if it's a frontline area.

QuintusSertorius
04-19-2008, 14:02
Single unit of Rorarii generally. In the Gallic/Greek areas levy spearmen and skirmishers, with the odd useful unit on the Gallic frontier.

Nothing but family members in Roma.

Olaf The Great
04-28-2008, 21:28
Just realized this is in the Modding section.

wtf.

Also, on H and VH campaigns its good to put a fair amount(5 lower class units in areas with high rebel spawns.