PDA

View Full Version : Roman Allied Legions

konny
04-13-2008, 23:40
This mini mod adds Roman Allied Legions to EB in a very simple way:

Update version 1.1

http://files.filefront.com/Socii+Romanirar/;10250265;/fileinfo.html

Extract all files in your ...\EB\Data folder and let it overwrite the existing files.

- Enabled factional recruitement in Taras and Rhegion
- Disabled factional recruitement in Segesta
- Replaced Camillan Hastati with Bruttian Infantry in all Roman starting provinces save Latium (Roma), plus Taras and Rhegion
- Replaced Camillan Principes with Samnite Spearmen in all Roman starting provinces save Latium (Roma), plus Taras and Rhegion
- Replaced Camillan Triarii with Samnitici Milites in all Roman starting provinces save Latium (Roma), plus Taras and Rhegion
- Replaced Camillan Equites with Campanian cavalry in all Roman starting provinces save Latium (Roma), plus Taras and Rhegion
- Moved Bruttian infantry to factional barracks in Taras and Rhegion
- Disabled recruitement of Pedites and Equites Extraordinarii for Camillan times
- Enabled recruitement of Pedites and Equites Extraordinarii for Polybian times in Roma only
- Disabled recruitement of Hastati Samnitici and Campanian cavalry in Polybian times
- Returned Greek regional recruitement in Taras in Rhegion to default
- All Republican units, including Polybians, that are recruited outside Rome are now named after their home province!

"Kopie von export_descr_buildings" is a backup and let you return to the original EB Roman recruitment.

"export_descr_unit" makes the Bruttians respond in Latin instead of Greek and makes Republican units "named". Various map files assign the correct recruitment markers and names for the units. This change is compatible with the 1st Legion feature for post-Marian Legions (this download also fixes the broken 1st Legion feature as per EB 1.1).

Gameplay effect: In the early periode you can recruite core Roman troops in Rome only. In the other Italian provinces you can recruite units that are very much the same, but still different. After the Polybian reforms your zone of recruitement is expanded to all of Italy plus "Gallia Togata". For houserule purposes the allied Legions are always labeled by their home province.

CAN BE USED WITH SAVED GAMES! (Quit EB and start a new session to let the programm read the changed files) If you have any problems with the named Legions delete map.rwm (this download has a correct map.rwm anyways).

Named allies:
https://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1858/namedn7.jpg

Bruttian Infantry:
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/eleutheroi/italy/ele_bruttian_inf.gif

Samnite Spearmen:
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/romani/roman_samnite_spears.gif

Samnite Milites
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/romani/roman_samnite_swordsmen.gif

Campanian cavalry
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/eleutheroi/italy/rebel_cavalry_campanian.gif

Note that this an unoffical modding project. Please keep error reports to this thread, thank you

Disciple of Tacitus
04-14-2008, 01:02
Wow. This is fantastic. Once again, Sir, you outshine yourself.

Horst Nordfink
04-14-2008, 08:34
Cheers Konny! Do you know if this is uncompatible with any other mods?

konny
04-14-2008, 09:49
Cheers Konny! Do you know if this is uncompatible with any other mods?

The changes are in EDB. When you play a mod that uses an altered EDB for EB 1.1 it is not compatible. In EDU the only change is the voice of the Pezoi Brettioi from a Greek one (I think, "heavy_1") to a Latin one (I think, "general_1"). This is not really needed, I did so to prevent the Roman Allies from shouting around in Greek. You can use this mod by just replacing EDB with any mod with changed EDU, and either leave the Brutti voice as it is or do the simple change yourself by copping the voice line from the entry of the Roman Hastati (for example) into the Brutti entry.

QuintusSertorius
04-14-2008, 13:33
That's pretty nifty! My only concern from a gameplay perspective is that with Roma alone as your source of proper Roman troops, it may slow the recruitment of a consular army by quite a lot. I'd be tempted to allow Capua as well as Roma to recruit Roman troops, given the presence of the barracks there.

I have to say classical hoplites for triarii is a neat little move I didn't even think of. Although unlike triarii you can't halve the size of their maniple in the EDU because other factions use them.

Titus Marcellus Scato
04-14-2008, 13:47
This is exactly what I wanted! Thanks very much konny - you're a hero! Award yourself a triumph!

konny
04-14-2008, 14:47
Thank you.

That's pretty nifty! My only concern from a gameplay perspective is that with Roma alone as your source of proper Roman troops, it may slow the recruitment of a consular army by quite a lot. I'd be tempted to allow Capua as well as Roma to recruit Roman troops, given the presence of the barracks there.

I don't think so (haven't tested it in the long run so far). You need two Consular armies with 1/2 Roman troops and 1/2 allied. You start the game with the equivalent to two Roman Legions and have to raise the same number in Rome to get your Romans for both Consular armies and then raise the four Legions allies.

If you like to expand the recruitement for Romans, I would suggest Segesta because I think the "Romans" there are settlers not native Italians.

I have to say classical hoplites for triarii is a neat little move I didn't even think of. Although unlike triarii you can't halve the size of their maniple in the EDU because other factions use them.

Don't do it, Camillan Triarii come in the same number as Hastati or Principes.

Example for a Consular army:

1x Levels
1x Accensi
2x Hastati
2x Principes
2x Triarii
1x Equites Romani / or Consulares

+

1x Akontistai
1x Toxotai
2x Brutti
2x Samniti
2x Hoplitai
1x Equites Campanici / or Extraordanrii

+

1x Pedites Extraordinarii
1x General

belliger
04-14-2008, 15:53
hi konny.
thanks a lot for this overwaited minimod.
as a samnite-roots player, you made me an happy man.
questions:
1) i downloaded all the files , and extracted them into Data folder, excpet 'kopie von konny...' , because i read that this is simply a backup. do i need to put it also into Data folder?

2) i started the game, and in the cities there are samnite spearmen and bruttian infantry, but no Classical Hoplites: does it depend on he level of the towns?

3) i put a look into export-descr_unit.txt, and there isn't any sign of Classical Hoplites in the lists of EB Roman units , nor EB Italic units . i know that those hoplites are a copy of Greek Classical Hoplites (card/unit number ;333). is it correct this? shouldn't the new unit be into the group of their 'owners' ?
thank you again.

belliger

konny
04-14-2008, 16:03
1) i downloaded all the files , and extracted them into Data folder, excpet 'kopie von konny...' , because i read that this is simply a backup. do i need to put it also into Data folder?

You can store it where ever you like. It is neither needed nor recognized by the programm.

2) i started the game, and in the cities there are samnite spearmen and bruttian infantry, but no Classical Hoplites: does it depend on he level of the towns?

The Hoplites appear where you can recruite Camillan Triarii in the original EB 1.1. Please note that Triarii a.) need a higher level of barracks than Hastati and b.) their recruitemen was reduced to 4 (out of 6) towns in EB 1.1 to prevent the AI from spamming it a bit.

3) i put a look into export-descr_unit.txt, and there isn't any sign of Classical Hoplites in the lists of EB Roman units , nor EB Italic units . i know that those hoplites are a copy of Greek Classical Hoplites (card/unit number ;333). is it correct this? shouldn't the new unit be into the group of their 'owners' ?
thank you again

These are the Hoplites that the Romans can raise from local barracks elsewhere. I have just transferred them to the factional barracks in these Italian towns, so no problem should come up with them.

PS: got your mail, I take it that the question was allready answered in the other thread?

belliger
04-14-2008, 16:12
thanks for the quick answer.
about
PS: got your mail, I take it that the question was allready answered in the other thread?
can you readdress me hwere is it? tried with the 'search' toggle, but with no results...

konny
04-14-2008, 16:18
I think it was that one:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=102137

QuintusSertorius
04-14-2008, 17:04
Thank you.

I don't think so (haven't tested it in the long run so far). You need two Consular armies with 1/2 Roman troops and 1/2 allied. You start the game with the equivalent to two Roman Legions and have to raise the same number in Rome to get your Romans for both Consular armies and then raise the four Legions allies.

If you like to expand the recruitement for Romans, I would suggest Segesta because I think the "Romans" there are settlers not native Italians.

I'm just thinking in terms of rebuilding an army, you've got some 9 units to recruit from Roma alone, whereas the remainder have a range of places they can come from.

Don't do it, Camillan Triarii come in the same number as Hastati or Principes.

Really? I wasn't aware they were any different from Polybian triarii, in terms of having maniples half the size of those of the hastati and principes.

Example for a Consular army:

1x Levels
1x Accensi
2x Hastati
2x Principes
2x Triarii
1x Equites Romani / or Consulares

+

1x Akontistai
1x Toxotai
2x Brutti
2x Samniti
2x Hoplitai
1x Equites Campanici / or Extraordanrii

+

1x Pedites Extraordinarii
1x General

Thing that worries me is that's an even bigger stack, particularly with the pedites extraordinarii not counting towards the allied total. I've had really bad experiences with the AI when it comes to moving a big stack around - they won't fight me. Even when I allow them time to gather their little armies into one big one.

Reno Melitensis
04-14-2008, 20:36
Thanks Konny, a very useful mini mod for all Romanii fans. Downloaded.

Cheers.

konny
04-18-2008, 00:57
I'm just thinking in terms of rebuilding an army, you've got some 9 units to recruit from Roma alone, whereas the remainder have a range of places they can come from.

6 (2x Hastati, 2x Principes, 2xTriarii). The recruitement of the other units was not touched. If you don't get completly butchered every single battle you should have no problems to keep your Romans in numbers with merging and retraining.

Really? I wasn't aware they were any different from Polybian triarii, in terms of having maniples half the size of those of the hastati and principes.

They were organized in 5 ordi of three (full) maniples (about 180 men each).

Thing that worries me is that's an even bigger stack, particularly with the pedites extraordinarii not counting towards the allied total. I've had really bad experiences with the AI when it comes to moving a big stack around - they won't fight me. Even when I allow them time to gather their little armies into one big one.

That's the standard force given to Consul on campaign. During operations the actual size of the army will be smaller of course: splitting of forces to hunt down smaller enemy armies, garrisons that have to be left behind, casulties that were not replaced etcpp.

QuintusSertorius
04-18-2008, 01:10
6 (2x Hastati, 2x Principes, 2xTriarii). The recruitement of the other units was not touched. If you don't get completly butchered every single battle you should have no problems to keep your Romans in numbers with merging and retraining.

Ah, that's a little more manageable if it's only your line infantry, not the lights. But still if you lost a whole army, that's a year and a half to restore your Roman infantry core. At least if Capua could also recruit Roman ones that would be three seasons.

They were organized in 5 ordi of three (full) maniples (about 180 men each).

So they should be full-sized just like the hastati and principes in a Camillian army? I think I'll have to go back and re-edit my EDU then.

That's the standard force given to Consul on campaign. During operations the actual size of the army will be smaller of course: splitting of forces to hunt down smaller enemy armies, garrisons that have to be left behind, casulties that were not replaced etcpp.

I don't tend to split mine much, what is brilliantly effective whole seems useless in half. Possibly because it's too narrow and deep. Although it would give my tribunes some actual command experience.

konny
04-18-2008, 09:47
So they should be full-sized just like the hastati and principes in a Camillian army? I think I'll have to go back and re-edit my EDU then.

Yep. Then they perfectly fit to the Hoplites in this mod too.

I don't tend to split mine much, what is brilliantly effective whole seems useless in half. Possibly because it's too narrow and deep. Although it would give my tribunes some actual command experience.

As a typical detachement I use a Tribune, the two units Extraordinarii, a missle unit and may be one of the Triarii, plus one or two units Avxilia (dependening on the task).

QuintusSertorius
04-18-2008, 09:54
As a typical detachement I use a Tribune, the two units Extraordinarii, a missle unit and may be one of the Triarii, plus one or two units Avxilia (dependening on the task).

That's a lot of trust being put into the young tribune, the general giving away his extraordinarii!

konny
04-18-2008, 12:09
Yes, Extraordinarii should always stay with the Consul. On the other, these are the units that wouldn't be desperatly missing when the main army deploys for battle because the Pedites Extraordinarii are something like the Libero in old fashioned football and the Triarii only have to fight on rare occasions. More problematic is that the detachement would hold half the army's cavalry.

Moros
04-23-2008, 21:24
Ariminium should have roman units I think. It is a roman founded colony.

QuintusSertorius
04-23-2008, 23:56

Although technically it wasn't founded until 269BC.

konny
04-24-2008, 00:13

Good point. The entire province was in fact more Romanized former Celtic lands than Italian homeland in 272. In EB 1.1 there isn't even a governement set up for this province on game start. I am not realy happy with the Italian allied units in Segesta as well.

Fish-got-a-Sniper
04-24-2008, 03:30
I have a question and a suggestion. Is this compatible with the city mod and TWFanatic's hoplite, chariot, and elephant mod? And my suggestion is that Capua and Roma should be able to recruit Roman troops as those were the only cities at the time with Roman citizenship.

Dhampir
04-24-2008, 06:17
Excellent minimod, Konny. If I were to rate it out of 5, I would give it full points.

konny
04-24-2008, 15:51
I have a question and a suggestion. Is this compatible with the city mod TWFanatic's hoplite, chariot, and elephant mod?

Don't use the changed "export_descr_unit" of this mod then it should work.

And my suggestion is that Capua and Roma should be able to recruit Roman troops as those were the only cities at the time with Roman citizenship.

For the sake of gameplay Capua should only field "allied" Legions. This isn't so much a question of citizen status but what the soldiers from there would have looked like/were equipped like.

konny
04-25-2008, 16:05
After playing with this mini-mod into the Polybians, I am not happy with some things:

- The Hoplites are a more poorer choice, because they somehow do not really fit into an "Italian" army. That is in particular after conquering the first Greek settlements on Sicily where you can recruite them generic.

- Samnitici Milites "do not happen". May be useing them instead of Hoplites as Triarii replacement is worth trying.

- Equites Romani should only be recruiteable where Roman infantry is recruitable. That is in Rome. All other settlements should field either/both of Campanici and Extraordinarii

- Segesta should not be able to field Italian Allies, either Roman units or Ligurians and Gauls instead (no factional recruitement during Camillan times).

- Having Italian Allies beeing recruiteable from regional barracks in Taras and Rhegion is not good in the long run because they remain to be so throughout the game, even in the Marian and Imperial periode. May be making factional recruitement possible down there for the Camillan periode and move the Italian units to these barracks would be better.

Having Romans from Rome only worked fine and I had good 50:50 balance in the overall army using houserules.

Reno Melitensis
04-25-2008, 18:20
The problem with the Hoplite units is that there is not a single unit that can represent Italian heavy spearman in line with the Triari, and as you said, they dont fit in an Italian Army, they should have Apullian-Corinthian helmets or Attic style, like the Samnites. The Samnites Milites can be a great unit if introduced in the Roman recrutement pool. The Hastati Samnitici should be the first line of the allies in the manipular formation, followed by the Bruttians and Hastati Milites, and why not the Lucanians. According to Polybius, during the Gallic invasion of 222BCE, they where among the allies that send warriors to Rome. Thorlof's Reign of Ares had some Etruscan and Lucan Hoplites, sadly he seem to have stopped posting here, we would have asked him to lend us his skins:beam:.

And I would like to suggest you to replace the Hippies in Taras and Rhegion with the Tarantine cavalry, they can add some flavour to the allied cavalry contingent.

Cheers.

konny
04-26-2008, 01:15
Yes the EB Hoplites are to perfectly Greek to represent Italians. The Samnitici Milites would be excellent as would be the Extraordanrii - save for the fact that they use the Kopis instead of a Spear. I was thinking of the Leukani too, to replace the Rorarii in the Allied forces. They are a unit that can represent any Italian light spearmen, may be save for the Linothorax what was of course neither unkown nor unused in Italy, but not so common.

QuintusSertorius
04-26-2008, 10:26
Should those Lucanian light infantry be made recruitable in Rhegion? Or are they only part of the mercenary pool?

konny
04-26-2008, 11:21
They are recruitable for other factions in the South. Rome only has them as mercs now.

Darth Stalin
04-27-2008, 21:08
Well, the idea is quite nice, though I wouldn't go as far as Konny did.
For me the Bruttians and Lukanians should be recruitable for Rome in her faction barracks during both Camillan and Polybian period; yet without restricting the AOR of "basic Roman units" like Hastati, Principes and Triarii.

We should bear in mind, taht during the period in which EB starts, the central Italy (Roman starting provinces) has been quite deeply romanized and filled with many Roman colonies, providing recruits organized along Roman lines. Regional troops should be available in regions that are to be conquered just after Pyrrhus has left Italy, i.e. southern Italy - Lucania, Bruttiom, Greek cities-colonies of Magna Graecia. However, I think that the recruitment has been quite well modelled in current EB due to government tree and barracks tree => i.e. when someone installs in Rhegium and Taras the "Homeland" at once it means that these areas has joined the Roman federation on far worse terms than those conquered before, and with heavy Roman colonisation of veterans - thus with heavy percentage of Roman units, with very litttle local units available (Samnites, Bruttians etc.).
On the other hand, removing the ability to recruit Camillan troops from newly conquered areas (Cisalpine Gaul and Southern Italy) is IMHO not as bad idea as it may seem => the Camillan Era has ended probably even before the start of EB timeframe, so the player should wait for appearance of new generation units - the Polybians.

konny
04-28-2008, 11:02
The Bruttians, Lukanians and Samnites in this mini-mod do not represent their different nations but Italian allies in general. The idea to create an allied wing of the Roman army for the early periode that works bascially the same as the Roman core, but looks different and has different stats too. The Polybian Reforms in this respect would also repesent a further step in uniformation and Romanization of these provinces and their armed forces.

Reno Melitensis
04-28-2008, 12:16
So konny when are you going to release an update of this minimod?.

Cheers.:2thumbsup:

Timoleon
05-10-2008, 14:55
Until you release an update of this minimod, how could I alter the files so as to replaced Camillan Triarii with Samnitici Milites instead of Classical Hoplites? I don't know much about modding.

konny
05-17-2008, 17:33
update; see first post

mcantu
05-17-2008, 21:50
wow...great job konny!

Timoleon
05-18-2008, 16:33
Excellent! Thanks konny!

All Republican units, including Polybians, that are recruited outside Rome are now named after their home province!
Does this mean that two same units (ex. Hastati) recruited in different cities cannot be merged together?

konny
05-19-2008, 01:32
No. The naming does not affect the way the unit works. You can merge them with units from other towns and you can retrain them in other towns. I use this feature to help me tracking units in a miltia recruitement enviroment like the Roman Republic. Since there are no allied units for the Polybian times, it also helps to identify units, or better entire Legions, as "allied" and "Roman".

Some bizzar effects that I have noticed: even units that are spawned as rebells or recruited as mercs in these provinces are assigend names and numbers. I am not sure wether there is a limit of Roman numbers in RTW and if after that the counter starts again with "I" or if that is limitless by the engine composing the Roman numbers by itself.

julianus apostata
05-20-2008, 10:09
Hello konny,

first of all i want to thank you for your efforts making the romani campaign even more realistic. Very welcome.

Is it normal, that after conquering a town on the peninsula (Bononia for example) i get no homeland ressource; the former homeland resource is still there and cant be destroyed, also i can not build any roman barracks, only allied ones. I have established a IV building with a local governour in those cities.

I am in the year 268.

Thanks in advance

konny
05-20-2008, 12:15
Yes, that's the way the Roman reforms work:

- Camillan (272 - c 240BC): You can recruite Romans in your starting provinces plus Segesta (EB 1.1) or plus Taras and Rhegion (this mini mod)
- Polybian (c. 240 - c. 100 BC): You can recruite Romans in all homland provinces
- Marian (c. 100 - c. 30 BC): You can recruite Romans on half of the map
- Augustan (c. 30 BC - 14 AD): Same as Marian plus some fine Auxilia

Technically it is the respecitve reforms marker that triggers the recruitment: To build a Camillan barracks you need in this settlement a) a level 1 government (homeland only) and b) the marker "Camillan Military Periode". That way you are not able to build any Roman barracks in Bononia for example in Camillan times even though it is homeland.

julianus apostata
05-20-2008, 12:29
Thanks konny for the quick answer.

But why i get no marker "homeland ressource" in Rhegion, Taras and Bononia altough the regions are already pacified and an IV gouvernement is established.
BTW the marker from the previous culture is still there.

konny
05-20-2008, 13:01
I take it you are not meaning the marker but the government building? That would be something like "Epeirote Garrisoned Territory". You need to destroy it, afterwards build "Military Pacification" and then your government (should always be level 1 in Taras and Rhegion).

julianus apostata
05-20-2008, 20:25
A last question konny,

is this normal:
https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/754/rometwbiexe0vg8.th.jpg (https://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rometwbiexe0vg8.jpg)

Why i have a marker for an celt culture in Bononia, and an Homeland resource for western greek; a roman type IV gouverment has already been established? I can only build regional MICs, no native ones (or is this caused by the level IV Gouverment)

Nearly the same in Rhegion: Western greek homeland resource an only regional MICs that can be build (Level IV gouverment too)

https://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3406/rometwbiexe1re6.th.jpg (https://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rometwbiexe1re6.jpg)

QuintusSertorius
05-20-2008, 20:54
Only being able to build regional barracks is a consequence of the government type; you can only build factional ones with a type I government.

The marker will be there, that's normal. Same as the Carthaginian reform ones will pop up in Lilibeo, Karali and Alalia.

julianus apostata
05-20-2008, 21:43
Strange,

i tested it a few minutes ago. I have build Roman gouverment Level 1 in Taras and still can not build any native MICs.
It seems that factional recruitment in Taras and Rhegion is not enabled for me:dizzy2:

Maybe i have to wait for the first reform to occur?

https://img361.imageshack.us/img361/9377/rometwbiexe02yq4.th.jpg (https://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rometwbiexe02yq4.jpg)

I just put back the original EB 1.1 edb and i still can´t build factional MICs in Taras, Rhegion, Bononia, even with type I government.

If i destroy the level I buildung in Capua for example and than rebuild it it´s possible to establish both MICs (with konnys edb and with EB original edb)

I have dowloaded version 1.1 of konny´s mod and installed it over EB 1.1 with the force diplomacy mod already installed

Hope i don´t have to reinstall EB, i have no explaination for this new feature:laugh4:

QuintusSertorius
05-21-2008, 08:25
Even with a type I government, you can't get factional troops in all of Italy until after the Polybian reform.

konny
05-21-2008, 11:19
Ah, now I see what you mean with the "Greek Homeland". No, that's just the marker, what is the same for all factions, beeing asinged to one of the cultures. The "Western Greek" does not affect your ability to build Roman structures there. The Celtic Reform marker is supposed to be there. It allows Celts to build their units if they take that settlement. It has no effect on your government.

Using this mini mod you should have a "Camillan Military Periode" marker in Taras and Rhegion and none in Segesta. Is that so in your game?

Disciple of Tacitus
05-25-2008, 17:49
D@$# it! I haven't even started my new EB 1.1 Luso campaign and you are already making my NEXT Romani campaign even MORE enticing!

Woe is me that I should have this problem!

But I do have a specific question. I am finishing off my Romani 1.0 campaign, and I noticed that Karali has a population of 45,000. The second biggest city in the empire - after 47,000 in Athens (Rome is a mere 32,000) So ... I am thinking of adding someone's (please forgive my present ignorance) Population Mod. My question is thus ... will that Mod work with your Allied Mod in EB 1.1?

Thanks in advance and this looks like a fantastic mod!

Darth Stalin
05-25-2008, 19:01
This change is compatible with the 1st Legion feature for post-Marian Legions (this download also fixes the broken 1st Legion feature as per EB 1.1).

Two questions:
1. what is "the 1st Legion feature"?

2. What is broken in EB 1.1 that Your mini-mod "fixes"?
Which are the files responsible for "naming legions" and "the 1st Legion feature"?

konny
05-25-2008, 19:31
Two questions:
1. what is "the 1st Legion feature"?

1st Cohort - my fault.

They are numbered and add troop moral to nearby units. In this mini-mod I had not assigned troops from Latium a name so they are numbered only. This way the "first legion" (Marian periode) works as expected. Otherwise they would all be called "Latium".

2. What is broken in EB 1.1 that Your mini-mod "fixes"?

There was a (nearly empty) line missing in descr_regions.

Which are the files responsible for "naming legions" and "the 1st Legion feature"?

In EDU you have to give the unit the ability "legionary_name" and in descr_regions you'll have to assign a name:

Latium
legion: >>insert name or leave blank<<

Be sure to use a valid name that is in ...regions_and_settlement_names.txt(?). I had used the name of the province itself.

We shall fwee...Wodewick
05-28-2008, 00:46
What if I want to get rid of this modification to install another minimod can i just install over or what?

thanks in advance

konny
05-28-2008, 11:51
@ Disciple of Tacitus & We shall fwee...Wodewick

Depends on what files are changed by the other mod.

>>> export_descr_buildings: Changed recruitement for the Roman allied. Overwriting will return Roman recruitement to EB default

>>> export_descr_units: Changed voices for the Bruttians and legionary_name for the Romans.
Overwriting will let the Bruttians respond in Greek and wont enable named units for the Romans

>>> export_descr_regions: Assigned names for Roman units.
Overwriting will show the word "Legion" as assignement for Roman units only, no names no numbers.

None of these should harm your game in any way. And as long as you do not play the Romans you won't see any difference.

Teacher
06-11-2008, 01:28
The name for the units is not appearing, i deleted map.rwm, i tihnk, which file do i find that in, and are there other solutions or issues?

konny
06-11-2008, 07:30
Where did you raise the units that are not named? In Rome herself they do not have names, only in the other towns.

Teacher
06-11-2008, 11:58
I raised them in Capua and Arretium, i believed i enabled the script, i was just testing and may have forgotten, does that even matter?

||Lz3||
06-28-2008, 18:14
I've a question... so in polybian times there are no allies??:inquisitive:

konny
06-30-2008, 09:30
No, with the existing units impossible to do because we don't have something that would pass for "Italian Polybian Principes".

QuintusSertorius
06-30-2008, 09:39
I've a question... so in polybian times there are no allies??:inquisitive:

Later Polybian times, not all of it. As konny said, we have no units to represent later allies, without just using the standard Roman units. A simple milestone for when this change should take place is the defection of Capua in 211BC

||Lz3||
06-30-2008, 17:03
well... there is empty espace for new units with alex.exe , so I guess I could do some changes to existing principes, hastati and triarii , (or even better yet , find someone who actually knows how to do it :sweatdrop:)

what changes do you think would be a good idea?

konny
06-30-2008, 17:28
Hastati Samnitici can be used like Polybian Triarii (tactical that is), Pezoi Brutti might pass as an equivalent to Polybian Hastati. But for the Principes you would need to make a new skin for the chain mail swordfighters that could be used on a copy of the Principes model.

||Lz3||
06-30-2008, 17:54
and how would be that new skin? what could be changed? a logo on the shield?

Skandinav
07-07-2008, 23:43
EDIT: Deleted as I got it answered elsewhere.

Roka
08-05-2008, 00:24
don't mean to sound like a dumbass, but none of the allies heve the bit that tell you were they were recruityed from, also how do you name your armies, again sorry for sounding like a dumbass

cheers...

konny
08-05-2008, 22:02
It sounds like you have done something wrong with the installation. Do you use the "Trivial Script" to start the campaign?

Roka
08-05-2008, 22:07
It sounds like you have done something wrong with the installation. Do you use the "Trivial Script" to start the campaign?

i have no idea... does that mean clicking show me how when the advisor says so?

konny
08-05-2008, 22:15
No. It is how you start the game: with a shortcut on your desktop or with the "Trivial Script" that came with EB 1.1? In the later case you have to copy the file export_descr_untis.txt from the data folder into the SP-folder of the Trivial Script and override the existing one that is there.

Roka
08-05-2008, 22:37
No. It is how you start the game: with a shortcut on your desktop or with the "Trivial Script" that came with EB 1.1? In the later case you have to copy the file export_descr_untis.txt from the data folder into the SP-folder of the Trivial Script and override the existing one that is there.

i dont think i installed the trivial script because EB didn't install right the first time (i put it in program files) and i thought id try it without the trivial script, i'll install EB again then, download the mod again :2thumbsup:

thanks for getitng back to me...

EDIT: are your legions always named or is it only after a certain reform?

TWFanatic
08-10-2008, 02:29
Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me what exactly you did in your modifications so that I may manually apply them to my files. My files are all already modded (I have city mod plus many mods that effect EDU).

konny
08-10-2008, 13:02
I have added the legionary_name feature to the respective units in EDU and defined the regional names in descr_regions. That, plus all the recruitement changes in EDB that you find in post 1 and tweaking the campaign_script.txt to make factional recruitement possible in Taras and Rhegion, and impossible in Segesta.

TWFanatic
08-10-2008, 18:55
Cheers

EDIT: Some more questions relating to the specifics...

Are Roman light infantry (Leves, Roarii, Accensi) recruitable only in Rome? It would make sense as they are all Roman citizens. (Or am I wrong here?)

Also, why can't Extraordinarii be recruited in the Camillan era? And why are they recruitable in Rome only? If they are socii, shouldn’t they be recruitable only amongst the allies?

konny
08-11-2008, 12:33
Are Roman light infantry (Leves, Roarii, Accensi) recruitable only in Rome? It would make sense as they are all Roman citizens. (Or am I wrong here?)

I am lacking suitable replacements for the Socii, so I kept the auxilia units the way they were.

Also, why can't Extraordinarii be recruited in the Camillan era?

The Saminitici Milites are now very widespread available in Camillan times, but not in Polybian. Having them and the Extraordinarii in the same periode would make either of them pointless to recruite.

The Samnitici Milites would represent the foot soldiers of the first class from the Italian Allies. Those did not all fight in a Greek Hoplites Phalanx prior to the 3rd Century BC, what would result in an unit a bit different from the Camillan Triarii (the equipement is basically the same, but the Milites throw their spears and close in with the sword; a somewhat archaic 'Homerian' tacitcs).

In Polybian times the equipement is much more uniform and the Milites have all together disappeared save for some picked men who fight as Extraordinarii.

And why are they recruitable in Rome only? If they are socii, shouldn’t they be recruitable only amongst the allies?

The allied contingents were marshalled in Rome and the Extraordinarii formed upon this occasion. Having them in Rome only also (should!) limit them being spamed by the AI.

TWFanatic
08-11-2008, 15:05
Leves can be replaced by Akontistai and Accensi by Toxotai and Sphendonitai. However, I understand your line of reasoning and agree somewhat.

Btw, what units should be used for garrison duty? I used to use Leves and Accensi because of their low costs. I assume this is inaccurate. Should I use local allied troops for garrison duties (in spite of the tremendous cost of Brutian and Samnite infantry, etc.)?

konny
08-11-2008, 15:33
Leves can be replaced by Akontistai and Accensi by Toxotai and Sphendonitai. However, I understand your line of reasoning and agree somewhat.

A good idea.... But you won't like it in your game, because both Akontistai and Toxotai (the Sphendonetai can't be used because of model sharing) would still be Greek units using the respective voice mod. At least I won't like it that way.

Btw, what units should be used for garrison duty? I used to use Leves and Accensi because of their low costs. I assume this is inaccurate. Should I use local allied troops for garrison duties (in spite of the tremendous cost of Brutian and Samnite infantry, etc.)?

I use Rorari. I recruite one unit of Rorari per Legion of each city (here the "named Legions" become very handy) but don't draft them to the army when moving the respective Legions out of the town. That way as many Rorari as the town has raised Legions remain as garrisons.

In peace times, or when not all Legions are fighting overseas, the Legions themselves form the garrisons. It would be more accurate to disband them in their parent towns when not needed, but that would require 0-turn recruitement to quickly raise them again. So, these represent the citizens "ready-to-be-drafted" what might be used as reserves for the field army or to hunt down rebells in Italy.

TWFanatic
08-11-2008, 16:11
Good idea. This process will be much easier with M2:TW with free garrison units and multiple unit recruitment.

(the Sphendonetai can't be used because of model sharing)
So two units that share a model cannot be used in the same battle? I've never heard that before. Why?

konny
08-11-2008, 16:24
So two units that share a model cannot be used in the same battle? I've never heard that before. Why?

No. A single model cannot be used for different units in the same faction.

TWFanatic
08-11-2008, 17:02
That doesn't make sense. You mean I cannot use Sphendonetai and Accensi on the field together? What would happen if I did?

konny
08-11-2008, 17:37
Sphendonetai that have been recruited by SPQR would look like Accensi and Accensi that had been recruited by someone else would look like Sphendonetai. You have it in Rhegion: the garrison is said to have a unit of Accensi but on the battlefield they look like Sphendonetai because they are used by the Eleutheroi.

TWFanatic
08-11-2008, 17:50
Ah...that's right. DMB enteries have seperate textures for each faction, etc. I haven't modded that area of the game in so long that I had forgotten.

TWFanatic
08-12-2008, 03:14
I was thinking of adding the legionary_name attribute to other units. I hope I am not leaching off of your modding expertise when I ask you if I would have to do anything else in order to make them get the parentheses with the name of the province they were recruited in after the unit name. Also, would I be correct in assuming that ALL factions who recruit these units would receive these parentheses as well (not just the Romani)?

A Terribly Harmful Name
08-12-2008, 03:39
I liked your mod at first glance but then unistalled it. I would personally make some revamps because I think the AOR for legions is way too strict taking the colonized Ager Publicus in Camillan times already, and also because I'm not very fond of having Bruttians or Samnitians in Etruria.

Most likely the roster of Socii could be more diverse and Camillan recruitment more widespread: Camillan-exclusive provinces would be Etruria, Umbria and Latium, whereas Campania and Arpi would allow Samnitici Milites and Hastati, as well as Campanian Cavalry. Bruttian Infantry would be only recruitable in Tarentum and Rhegion, together with the Leukanoi and even some Greek hoplites; I don't know if there were Greek socii in Magna Graecia, but being a realm of what ifs, it is perfectly plausible to have some Greek units since a conquered Magna Graecia would have a significant Greek population and recruitment pool. However that might be not needed if Taras is made an Allied city and regional MIC's are built, so I would extend recruitment only to Leukanoi.

In conclusion, this could be fitted within the Regional MIC system. The only problem is that Lvl. I governments do not allow much in the way of regional recruitment, despite the fact that Italian Allies contributed with a significant number of troops while being the historical Roman homeland. An interesting change the EB team could implement was to make "Homeland" provinces available by later reform, so as to allow a large regional recruitment in earlier times and gradually smaller amounts of Socii regiments with later reforms and lower level governments. BTW, IRL, Italy only became completely Romanized (thus "Homeland") in the early 1st Century BC with the Social War.

Of course, being an amateur at scripting, I do not know the technical viability or the gameplay impact of such changes, so for now it is merely an idea.

TWFanatic
08-12-2008, 04:20
I suppose you are right in a way. I do recall Zak mentioning that the Hastati/Principes/Triarii represent not only Roman citizen infantry but also Italic allies who fought in a very similar manner. Unfortunately there are not enough "Italic allied" units to represent separate alae (with good reason, wasting unit slots on such trivialities would definitely be over-representing the Roman faction). So konny has done the best with the units he has.

I asked that question two posts above because I wanted to expand alae recruitment in the Polybian era to outside of peninsular Italia into Cisalpine Gaul, Western Greece, Eastern Iberia, and Sicilia. I would then recruit proper triarii/principes/hastati/velites in Italia proper (once I upgrade the barracks) to represent a gradual adoption of the peculiarly Roman way of warfare in the region. Only those legions recruited from Roma would consist of citizens, others would remain alae. I could also levy legions of alae from the other, aforementioned regions outside of Italia proper. It may at first seem odd to be levying "legions" of non-Romanized Gauls and Spaniards, but it did happen (think of Caesar's Galatian "legions" at Zela). They would certainly provide a secondary role and only be levied when there was an absence of proper Italian legions for some reason or another. Or so goes my plan. Question: with the Polybian reforms in this mod I am capable of recruiting proper Roman infantry (velites through triarii) in all of peninsular Italia, correct?

But back to the Roman Allied Legions. I like this system. It takes some adjusting to, but to address your problems, you can get around them in one of two ways:

Think of the "Bruttians" and "Samnites" as not necessarily "Bruttians" or "Samnites" but units representative of such a fighting style that was prominent in Italia at the time (much as EB team members have recommended thinking of Roman citizen infantry in the past--not necessarily as Roman citizens, but citizens and allies all fighting in a similar style).

or,

Think of your alies as having congregated in, say, Etruria. They did not all come from this province, they merely assembled there at your command. When following this method, train your legions nearest to wherever the front is.

As always, I recommend using zero-turn recruitment or script to levy entire legions in one turn. Avoid fielding multiple legions from a single province if you can help it (except for Roma, of course).

I hope that helps.

||Lz3||
08-12-2008, 04:27
the unit issue isn't a problem when using alex.exe twfanatic...:2thumbsup:

I'm my personal EB I have added several units to complement my roman armies

so far I have 2 new skirmishers and for polybian times I have Italic hastati ,italic princeps and italic triarii :beam:

and well also the Aquilifer (god what I would do without it :P)

I don't create units... I just add them from other mods (ejem...emm RTR...:sweatdrop:) that's why its only my personal build and I can't distribute it ... I can help you to do it if you wish though it's not that hard

konny
08-12-2008, 13:08
Yes. I had to deal with two limitations:

- The one thing is that allowing for recruiting a single unit in a province in RTW means allowing for recruiting complete stacks of it form that province without having to recruite something else there. So I had to ignore the exisitence of coloniae outside Latium and made the allies the only recruitable unit in cities other than Roma.

- The other thing are limited units. I don't have the ability to create new ones; what would have been a bit too much anyways because the Camillan army is very short-lived in EB (only some 30 years in the game, and these are the years where not so much would happen in most campaigns). If this mod would start in, say, 300 BC, allied units would be a must-have.

[quote]It may at first seem odd to be levying "legions" of non-Romanized Gauls and Spaniards, but it did happen (think of Caesar's Galatian "legions" at Zela).

or the "Cilician Legions" of Sulla as another example.

But these are all post-Marian. I can't recall any occasion in which Legion-like units had been raised outside Italy in Polybian times.

Question: with the Polybian reforms in this mod I am capable of recruiting proper Roman infantry (velites through triarii) in all of peninsular Italia, correct?

Yes.

Think of the "Bruttians" and "Samnites" as not necessarily "Bruttians" or "Samnites" but units representative of such a fighting style that was prominent in Italia at the time (much as EB team members have recommended thinking of Roman citizen infantry in the past--not necessarily as Roman citizens, but citizens and allies all fighting in a similar style).

Yes, that was the idea behind it, and the reason to make them named.

TWFanatic
08-12-2008, 18:18
I was thinking of adding the legionary_name attribute to other units. I hope I am not leaching off of your modding expertise when I ask you if I would have to do anything else in order to make them get the parentheses with the name of the province they were recruited in after the unit name. Also, would I be correct in assuming that ALL factions who recruit these units would receive these parentheses as well (not just the Romani)?

:stupido3:

konny
08-13-2008, 11:49
Add the legionary_name attribute to the unit in EDU and define the name in descr_regions. When using a different name than the provincial you need to define that name in the respective lockup file.

And yes, every unit will have the name and the number, even rebell units that spawn in the respective province.

Other candidates for "labeling" would be for example Hoplites and Barbarian levies.

Corky
08-23-2008, 10:04
Hi,wondered if someone could help, trying to install this mod and followed your steps and tried the other things that people have done and i still cant get it to work. I have deleted the map.rvm file and its installed in the right places so i don't know what's going on. I'm trying to get the numbers for the legion first cohorts but every time i recruit a new first cohort it just says the title and 'legio'.

Any help would be much appreciated.

pavillon
08-31-2008, 08:40
First, thanks konny for this amazing mod coz it repairs the most interesting-yet-broken feature (for me) in EB 1.1: first cohort's legion number.

I really want to install this mod however I have some questions first, as I am currently playing EB 1.1 with CityMod and ForceDiplomacy installed. Is this "Roman Allied Legions" mod compatible with my EB?

Also, how about the other mods made by konny (money script and cursus honorum)? Are they also compatible and if they are, what is the correct order to install them over my EB 1.1+CityMod+ForceDiplomacy? It would be amazing if I can play my EB with all those five mods installed :2thumbsup:

Thanks in advance. Any response will be appreciated. :yes:

konny
08-31-2008, 14:49
You should take a look at this collection:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105242

Otherwse the cursus honorum only changes the trait file what is not affected by the allied legions.

DisposableHero
09-02-2008, 21:00
Konny, I applied your mod to get the First Cohorts to work. The first few I built worked like a charm (Legio I, II, III). However, after the third one, it returned to Legio I, and every after one I've built since remains Legio I.

konny
09-03-2008, 11:13
Uh? This is strange. When it works (and you say it does) it should give you about "I-XX" different First Legions. I have no idea in which txt.file these numbers are stored (they might also be in the exe), so I can't say what's going wrong.

DisposableHero
09-03-2008, 15:04
If it helps at all, I think (though I may be wrong) that I disbanded a first cohort right before the problem occured. Might this have something to do with it?

I'll try reapplying the mod at some point, see if that fixes the problem. Although I'm drawn to a Ptolemai game right now...

Roka
09-07-2008, 17:58

where can i find this folder?

cheers

TWFanatic
09-09-2008, 19:12
Just to make it clear...

With this mod, all Italian allied units (Samnites, Bruttians, etc.) are recruitable only in the 6 peninsular Italian provinces (not including Rome)? And are they recruitable in the factional barracks or the regional/AOR barracks? Will I need type 3/4 governments to recruit allies or will homeland governments do?

||Lz3||
09-10-2008, 03:47
factional barracks...

konny
09-10-2008, 11:15
@ Roka
It should be where you had installed the Trival Script to.

With this mod, all Italian allied units (Samnites, Bruttians, etc.) are recruitable only in the 6 peninsular Italian provinces (not including Rome)? And are they recruitable in the factional barracks or the regional/AOR barracks? Will I need type 3/4 governments to recruit allies or will homeland governments do?

The Allied units replace the Romans in all aspects in Italy. That is, they are recruitable from the factional barracks, who are only available under a homeland government.

TWFanatic
09-10-2008, 19:14
Cheers

Valion
10-11-2008, 16:09
Hey Konny a quick question.... i recently installed the mod and i recruited a bruttian infantry in Capua should it get a name like Legio 1 Capua or something? because it's not showing anything another than the unit name.. also i recuited a bruttian infantry as merc before i installed you'r mod so can i retrain them? i may also presume that Bruttian infantry is no longer available as mercs? or are they?

Thanks

Valion
10-12-2008, 06:41
Hey why is it that only the word "Legio" shows?? no number or the province name like when campania???

konny
10-20-2008, 12:45
Is this in Rome? Units from Latium are not assinged a name to keep the "First Legion" feature in Marian times proper working.

DionCaesar
11-09-2008, 22:29
Originally Posted by konny

where can i find this folder?

cheers

I would like to know that as well.... My problem is that I can train the new units in the Camillian era ( I tested that ), but with my current campaign (226 BC, Polybians), my units trained outside Rome don't get their regional names. And I DO start up with the trivial script thingy (at least, the thing where you can choose game type, lighting and unit nudity) ... please help!:help::embarassed::help:

DionCaesar
11-10-2008, 20:27
I found the SP folder now, but now I have the same problem as Valion: only the word '' Legio '' shows. I trained a cohort in Capua and one in Arretium, and I do have polybian soldiers.. does anyone know what's wrong here?

DionCaesar
11-12-2008, 20:24
I found the SP folder now, but now I have the same problem as Valion: only the word '' Legio '' shows. I trained a cohort in Capua and one in Arretium, and I do have polybian soldiers.. does anyone know what's wrong here?

Anyone please? It would greatly enhance my Romani campaign if I could actually see the place where my soldiers have been recruited.
Thx in advance

Medical Toaster
11-12-2008, 21:22
If I recall I had the same problem until I deleted the map.rwm file. I think a new file has to be generated for the naming to commence properly.

Foytaz
11-13-2008, 09:34
unfortunatlly RAL doesn't work with AlexEB, does it???

konny
11-13-2008, 11:37
It is working with the ALX.exe (I am using this one too).

If I recall I had the same problem until I deleted the map.rwm file. I think a new file has to be generated for the naming to commence properly.

Yes, because the descr_regions file was changed.

Foytaz
11-13-2008, 11:51
It is working with the ALX.exe (I am using this one too).

then why I can't get names(aor) for new enlisted units???

konny
11-13-2008, 15:54
Did you overwrite the descr_regions file with the version from the download? Did you delete map.rwm thereafter? Then everything should work fine.

Foytaz
11-13-2008, 16:33
Did you overwrite the descr_regions file with the version from the download? Did you delete map.rwm thereafter? Then everything should work fine.

I guess I did but I'll do it once again to make sure.

Foytaz
11-13-2008, 20:26
I did everything as it'd be done but got no effect:furious3:
Only recruitment restrictions work fine but still enlisted units don't have aor names/numbers:help:

DionCaesar
11-13-2008, 20:59

should I delete the map.rwm ? Never knew that.. I'll try!

EDIT: I tried it, and it gave me an error, so I couldn't start the game.. Fortunately I backuped :-D

konny
11-14-2008, 11:31
should I delete the map.rwm ? Never knew that.. I'll try!

EDIT: I tried it, and it gave me an error, so I couldn't start the game.. Fortunately I backuped :-D

:dizzy2:
The engine is supposed to create a new one (with the changed data) when map.rwm is missing, not to crash the game.

DionCaesar
11-14-2008, 17:33
:dizzy2:
The engine is supposed to create a new one (with the changed data) when map.rwm is missing, not to crash the game.
Which it apparently hasn't.. ... What should I do now? I really like ur mod, and it'd be fantastic if it'd work..
Does the fact that I have windows Vista have anything to do with it btw?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-15-2008, 00:49
If you have Vista and have RTW & EB installed under the "Program Files" directory, then yeah, that's probably your problem.

DionCaesar
11-15-2008, 16:58
So if I would install EB on like.. my documents .. It would work?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-16-2008, 09:02
So if I would install EB on like.. my documents .. It would work?
Anywhere other than "Program Files", but you have to first install RTW wherever you are going to install EB.

Darth Stalin
11-16-2008, 14:55
If you have Vista
Heh, does any true RTW/EB player use Vista?
Vista sucks - long live XP SP3!

(well, those odl lucky days of Win98 has gone and never are back... as well as Win2K... boohoo :( )

DionCaesar
11-16-2008, 16:12
Heh, does any true RTW/EB player use Vista?
Vista sucks - long live XP SP3!

-.- Vista is overall better than xp.. and I'm just used to it by now, and I do consider myself as a ''true Europa Barbarorum player'' !

Still.. I have installed EB in the '' my documents '' folder now, but I experience exactly the same problems as before xD. But now even the '' legio '' doesn't show up anymore.

Does anyone know what I should? do (Vista jokes not appreciated :sweatdrop: :wall:)

konny
11-17-2008, 11:30
Still.. I have installed EB in the '' my documents '' folder now, but I experience exactly the same problems as before xD. But now even the '' legio '' doesn't show up anymore.

Did you make a fresh install of EB? In this case you have to replace the EDU in the SP folder (Trivia Script) with the one from the download.

Titus Marcellus Scato
12-02-2008, 15:20
Is this mod compatible with EB 1.2?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-03-2008, 08:17
I'm pretty sure, it is not.

Vermin
12-16-2008, 14:36
Hi Konny,

Any chance of updating this for 1.2?

Please! :)

cultist
01-03-2009, 19:42
MarcusAureliusAntoninus

I'm pretty sure, it is not.
I wonder how this mod was incorporated into 1.2 minimod...and working too.
And i too await a confirmation,if the mod is working with Eb 1.2 :laugh4:
Oh and,can this mod be considered historically accurate?,a historian might like to answer this one

||Lz3||
01-04-2009, 03:53
Well... I did it myself :smash:

I updated the mod in order to add it to the others =P

and about the accuracy... I'm no historian,but, it's the best we can get... It is true that sammnites and bruttians weren't all over the peninsula, but it is true that only the romans (from Rome) were able to join the hastati, princeps and triarii, the allied forces were... diferent, in equipment and battle armor etcetera, so... for me is better to recruit true romans from Rome Only

cultist
01-04-2009, 09:14
well its working for 1.2 also if anyone is wondering
recruited brutii infantry and samnites,and the units have their province legion name.

PS: i played a mod just like this one for RTR,but it was quite complex,having modified infantry for all of the italian provinces,except rome,and you couldnt recruit etrurian units for example anywhere else.

a completely inoffensive name
01-04-2009, 14:00
I haven't been able to look through each page, but I wanted to know if anyone else, when recruiting allied legion units (i.e. not the Roman Camillian ones) if they just get "Legio" after the name and nothing else after it.

mp84
01-04-2009, 22:53
I haven't been able to look through each page, but I wanted to know if anyone else, when recruiting allied legion units (i.e. not the Roman Camillian ones) if they just get "Legio" after the name and nothing else after it.

Ya I get the same thing as well.. Ironically, when I installed the mod, about a couple of days ago, it actually not only said Legio, but also had a number and the city where they were recruited.

In the end, it felt a bit weird, as no matter what, if I recruited 2 units, the first unit would be Legio I "City Name", the 2nd unit "Legio II "City Name" .. But I did a complete reinstall of the mod, to go with the mini-mod pack, and all its other mods it has recommended to download, which in fact all of them are great, so excellent job.

Not sure whether I prefer just the "Legio" or if that's a bug, I'd be curious to find out as well.

thanks!

MP

||Lz3||
01-04-2009, 23:49

Delete the map.rwm, let the engine create a new one, then copy paste the newly generated rwm to SP edu backup Folder, you should get the legion number and city after doing so :yes:

mp84
01-05-2009, 01:18
Delete the map.rwm, let the engine create a new one, then copy paste the newly generated rwm to SP edu backup Folder, you should get the legion number and city after doing so :yes:

EDIT: Well, fixed it, but I had an extra step there, I also had to delete not only the map.rwm in the base folder, but also the map.rwm in the SP edu backup folder.. Loaded the game, popped up a little error that it couldn't copy the map.rwm or something.. However, it still proceeded to load up the game, then started a new single player game, and the Legio and Cities were there. Then exited it, and copy and pasted the map.rwm it generated in the base folder into the SP edu backup folder.. And then loaded up my saved game, and it still had "legio" only on my existing units, however, every new unit created after would get the "legio" and "city" name attached so its fixed.

Now I do have a curious question whether this is intended or not.. Let's say as an example, I create one Hastati Saminite in Capua, end turn, the unit would appear as "Legio I Campainia" , then I go ahead and create another Hastati Saminite, and end turn that would appear as Legio II Campainia" basically the question I have, is this intended? is it suppose to get to the next number after creating another unit in that same settlement? and it would also do this in rome as well, when I create a Hastati it would say Legio I, then I create a Principes, it would say Legio II..

thanks,

MP

trumf
01-29-2009, 12:49
Hi,

i think someone has to update this good minimod, because the "export_descr_buildings.txt" from this mod has no entry of the new client ruler script.

So, if you build a type 4 gov (in my current rome game) you cant build a client ruler with the txt from the mod.

Can someone handle this?

sorry for my englisch.

darkangel87
02-13-2009, 13:02
Konny,
I´m still playing EB 1.1 with all available fixes installed. In order to enjoy your mini-mod without any problems… what exactly must I install or, alternatively, delete from my files? Is this mod really save-game compatible? I just advanced in the Marian era and already trained some “First Cohorts”, Is this a problem?

Regards
Marcel

konny
02-13-2009, 18:38
what exactly must I install or, alternatively, delete from my files?

It should work without deleting anything.

Is this mod really save-game compatible?

Yes, as far as I recall I did this in an onging Romani campaign and everything works fine.

I just advanced in the Marian era and already trained some “First Cohorts”, Is this a problem?

I don't know, but when you are already in the Marians this mod wouldn't do anything for you: this one only changes the pre-Marian units.

darkangel87
02-13-2009, 19:07
Do you know what I have to change in the script that my Marian First Cohorts at least get Legion Numbers (I, II, III etc.)?
Regards Marcel

P.S. the legionary_name trait is already in the unit-description script

Vasiliyi
03-27-2009, 05:09
Is this compatable with 1.2?

konny
03-27-2009, 18:26
No.

Do you know what I have to change in the script that my Marian First Cohorts at least get Legion Numbers (I, II, III etc.)?

You need to go to descr_regions.txt, what is in the folder ...\data\world\maps\base. There you search for Latium2 and add legion: to the entry:

Latium2
legion:
Rome
seleucid
Roma_Latium
52 13 198
bigport, tradeport, italy, rome, variantro, SW, B, y1, y2, y4, n8

Atilius
04-05-2009, 07:45
No.

You need to go to descr_regions.txt, what is in the folder ...\data\world\maps\base. There you search for Latium2 and add legion: to the entry:

Latium2
legion:
Rome
seleucid
Roma_Latium
52 13 198
bigport, tradeport, italy, rome, variantro, SW, B, y1, y2, y4, n8

I don't think that's correct konny.

I'm pretty sure I put that in sometime before 1.2 was released. It references the tag Latium2LegionName which is currently assigned the value "" in imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

Svenn
04-15-2009, 17:14
Is there a way to make this compatible with EB BI?

If you didnt already know, the Eb for BI installer changes the unit spacing and adds shield wall to units (including many roman)

When i add this mod it overwrites the roman units to thier original state (original spacing and takes away shield wall)

But if i install the 'Eb for BI' AFTER 'Allied Legions' it changes the recruitment of Hastati, Princeipes and Triarii to most of Rome. (IE. pretty much removing the changes made by Allied Legions)

konny
04-15-2009, 18:17
You need to make it manuelly than (what is also a good opportunity to learn some modding) But backup your files before!!

I don't think that's correct konny.

I'm pretty sure I put that in sometime before 1.2 was released. It references the tag Latium2LegionName which is currently assigned the value "" in imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

This entry was missing when I did this mini mod - but this was allready with the original 1.0 version (April, last year). Adding it fixed it.

It is of course not required for the actual version (but neither compatible either).

Svenn
04-15-2009, 18:35
Ok il try,

But could you tell me exactly what changes i need to make?

Aemilius Paulus
05-09-2009, 20:19
One question konny: I love the naming of each unit aspect, but I do not care for the other features of this mini-mod. So which files do I need to replace to only implement the unit naming?

Thanks in advance.

konny
05-11-2009, 10:44
export_descr_units.txt and descr_regions.txt

Aemilius Paulus
05-14-2009, 04:38
export_descr_units.txt
D'oh! I have that heavily modded, with both the stats and the unit models changed. can you be more specific about the changes in EDU? Such as the units and the parts of the unit entry changed? Because it will be easier to implement your stuff manually than it will be to reinstate all my modding after writing over the current EDU with yours.

Mithick666
05-14-2009, 06:40
D'oh! I have that heavily modded, with both the stats and the unit models changed. can you be more specific about the changes in EDU? Such as the units and the parts of the unit entry changed? Because it will be easier to implement your stuff manually than it will be to reinstate all my modding after writing over the current EDU with yours.

Hola Aemilius Paulus it is easy in EDU in the line attributes jus add in the end of the line legionary_name

attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, legionary_name

Ejergard
09-21-2009, 08:10
Hi,
Is there a way to change the legion-attribute given to each unit to say for example "Cohort I Etruria" instead of "Legio I Etruria". As some mentioned earlier in this thread, having lots and lots of cohorts pumped out from the same town called upon as a completely different legion on its own just doesn't feel right.

Thanks for a great mod otherwise!

Robertus Zimmermanus
05-31-2010, 08:17
hey

does anyone know if this works with EAEM.exe alex mod????

AstroCat
10-31-2010, 21:20
I noticed that Triarii are not available by default in Roma, but require the next building upgrade at a cost of 12000. Is this intended? I was wondering the justification for no Triarii.

AstroCat
11-08-2010, 22:57
Does anyone have the original files for this mod hanging around. I'd like to take a look at them and see how they were used in the Alex minimod. Thanks.

Pedro
06-15-2011, 07:53
if there is anyone who have the original mod and works in the eb 1.2 pleasee cant upload and put some screenshot

b0Gia
02-06-2015, 15:04
See here:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?660026-Submods-Compilation-Europa-Barbarorum-Release-v1-for-EB-1-2-by-b0Gia