PDA

View Full Version : Complete newb (In modding) seeking help!

Socy
04-14-2008, 18:52
Hail fellow EB players!

I've recently begun modifying my EB game as to make it more fun for myself to play, as many of you others do. Now, I've got a couple of questions that I hope you, the community, can answer. Remember, I'm a complete newb when it comes to modding having only done simple things such as changing single scentences in one or two files.

What I'd like to know is:
- How do I alter unit recruitment? For example, I want Arche Seleukeia to be able to recruit Galatian Heavy Swordsmen in Thebais with a level 3 regional MIC. Wich files do I have to modify, and how?
- I've seen that MAA switches the colour and names of factions in the middle of his campaign to add flavour to his AAR's (Wich I'm a great fan of, by the way:smash:). How is this possible? How do you do it
- How do i change the skins on units? Or rather, swap. For example, I'd like the Makedonian Klerouchoi Phalangitai to swap skins with the Seleukid one. How do I change it?

I hope that my questions are not too cumbersome to answer, as I'd really like to modify EB for a even greater experience than it already is! Looking forward to hearing from you. :2thumbsup:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-15-2008, 07:10
1- Recruitment is in the export_descr_buildings.txt. It is very complex and very hard to edit by hand. Take a look at it (lower half of the file), if you've never modded the files before it could give you a heart-attack.

2- Color changes are done in the descr_sm_factions.txt. Change the RGB values in the primary and secondary colors under the faction's internal name.

3- Skins would be under the descr_model_battle.txt. Just look for the section for the unit you want and switch info on the lines for the factions you want to change.

Note 1:
Always backup your files before making changes because mistakes are always bound to occur.

Note 2:
Remember that internal names and the factions' ingame names don't always line up. For example, "seleucids," is actually the Romani faction.

Socy
04-15-2008, 16:12
Thank you for the reply Marcus. While I've never modded the files before, it actually didn't gave me a heart-attack. Rather, I became even more interested in trying to mod it! My problem is that I don't really understand all the variables in the texts. My guess is that all of the different hidden resources found, for example, stands for different things such as skins etc?
A guide with pointers or the like would very much be appreciated, if there is one, that is. I do realise that it's alot of work to be done if changing by hand, but the results could be interesting.

Skin swapping isn't too hard, neither is changing the colours of factions. However, is there a list available as to what faction is wich? As you said, Seleucids = Roman (Julii?).

About safety such as backuping files is info I'm already aware of, though thank you for pointing it out. It's really important. But even then, if everything goes to hell, the worst case scenario is that you have to remove EB (Savegames aswell, wich probably is the big fear) and RTW and reinstall it all, eh?

Hope that I'm not too bothersome and that my questions are not impossible to answer.:beam:

Lysander13
04-15-2008, 21:20
Thank you for the reply Marcus. While I've never modded the files before, it actually didn't gave me a heart-attack. Rather, I became even more interested in trying to mod it! My problem is that I don't really understand all the variables in the texts. My guess is that all of the different hidden resources found, for example, stands for different things such as skins etc?
A guide with pointers or the like would very much be appreciated, if there is one, that is. I do realise that it's alot of work to be done if changing by hand, but the results could be interesting.

Skin swapping isn't too hard, neither is changing the colours of factions. However, is there a list available as to what faction is wich? As you said, Seleucids = Roman (Julii?).

About safety such as backuping files is info I'm already aware of, though thank you for pointing it out. It's really important. But even then, if everything goes to hell, the worst case scenario is that you have to remove EB (Savegames aswell, wich probably is the big fear) and RTW and reinstall it all, eh?

Hope that I'm not too bothersome and that my questions are not impossible to answer.:beam:
I know how you feel. All that code mumbo jumbo has that effect on some. Rather than scare you off, it spikes the interest to learn how to mod. If only as a little hobby to suit yourself as opposed to making a full blown mod or be part of a team. Be warned though, once you start, you can't seem to stop.:tongue: You will find yourself fiddling around with the files all the time because there's always something else you want to change or add. Sometimes you'll even do things not necessarily because you want to but just to see if you can.:dizzy: Take my advice, just stop it and play!! Or you'll put yourself at risk of becoming a file junkie and realize that "your" installation of EB apparantly only works in Notepad++, Textpad, or Photoshop.:tongue:

However, if you insist..:smile:
1)The variables in the text you mention found in the EDB as it's relative to unit recruitment. Is in fact the code for the hidden resource as it relates to where that particular unit can be recruited. I don't have the files in front of me or I'd give you an example. But for instance all those n1,y2,..etc..etc..is code for the regions where that unit can be recruited. Listed under which MIC level it can be recruited from. However in EB, it's also a little trickier than most mods because EB has the goverment system in place as well. You can mod it by hand as I do it all the time. If you want to make mass changes then modding it by hand perhaps wouldn't be the best idea. However, if you know exactly what you want to i.e...change the recruitment of one or two units it's not really all that difficult. You just need to familiarize yourself with the MIC structure and the code for the regional hidden resource. You can find the file that gives you the relevant hidden resource information in the world folder somewhere, IIRC. I forget the exact name of it. But look in there. If you can't find it, I'll tell you exactly where to look later.

As far as a guide:
Their is no EB relative guide for this that I know of. Luckily, the EB Team saw it fit to provide us their fans with an Unofficial Mod Forum. Where we all get to butcher each other's installations for fun.:tongue: So just come back here and ask away. Someone will be by to help you out. Of course you could always familiarize yourself with the modding of files in a general way over at the scriptorium if your so inclined.

2) Skin swapping isn't hard at all. Presuming of course your swapping textures on a shared model. Don't forget to switch UI's and relevant sprites (if necessary) for your faction as well. As for the internal faction names: I don't have a reference in front of me so I'll give them to you by memory since I've often played around with this stuff. If I get a few wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. If not I'll reference it later and make the proper corrections if necessary.
Aedui-gauls
Arveni-scythia
Sweboz-german
Carthage-egypt
Ptolemioi-numidia
Makedonia-macedon
KH-greek_cities
Romani-seleucid
Pontos-carthage
Sauromatae-armenia
Saka Rauka-pontus
Saba-saba
Hayasdan-romans_scipii
Baktria-romans_brutii
Eleutheroi-slave
Pahlava-parthia
Casse-briton
Lusotann-spain
Arche Seleukia-romans_julii
Epeirote-thrace
Getai-dacia
I think that's all of them. I'll check for you later to make sure.

3) Backing up:
Definately back up what you do. If all goes to hell as you say. You could always use 7-zip on your EB installer and get files you may need and forgot to back up there. Good luck man and have fun. :thumbsup: