PDA

View Full Version : elections in EB 2

JRG
04-14-2008, 21:40
I remember in MTW2 there was some sort of election for pope. I was wondering if there would be any way to use that to have elections for roman consuls instead of the current sytstem where you are basically just king. I know that that's not EB's fault, but it seems to be the main innacuracy in the game for me.

Patriote
04-15-2008, 00:31
I'm no expert here but reading your post had look at the files to find the mechanism beyond the election of the pope. I haven't it so far but I found this line in the descr_sm_factions.txt:

has_family_tree no

I wonder if it can be of use somehow :idea2:

Only two factions have no on this line, Papal States and Slaves. Did anyone do tests with this option? if yes, what possibilities are there ? :book:

Also, what about the capability of the Pope to promote Priests to Cardinals?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-16-2008, 01:47
Pope and Cardinal elections require a faction slot be used as an unplayable faction...

The Teuton Kingdom Campaign uses a no family tree feature however, which could be used for certain factions in EB2.

Hax
04-16-2008, 09:33
I believe I can hear someone shout "Romani" now. Perhaps also for the Koinon Hellenon?

JRG
04-16-2008, 21:17
or Quarthadistim. they elected their sophet, but he didnt have any military powers.

Flying Pig
04-18-2008, 13:07
You would need koinon hellenion to elect a number of archons (at Marathon in 490 it was 10 from Athenai) and the Consuls would need to be two in number. It's a good idea; I must get M2TW

antisocialmunky
04-19-2008, 04:15
Its neat, but I don't think it would be particularly fair to give any one faction over the others unless it was an absolutely defining characteristic of a faction.

Though I guess that the KH probably would be the best choice for such a thing.

Intrepid Adventurer
04-21-2008, 11:15
Its neat, but I don't think it would be particularly fair to give any one faction over the others unless it was an absolutely defining characteristic of a faction.

Though I guess that the KH probably would be the best choice for such a thing.

Well it's not supposed to be fair. Different states had different political structures, some of which worked better than others. It's historical accuracy that counts, not fairness.

antisocialmunky
04-21-2008, 13:03
Well, if two states equally warrant it, then who gets it?

JRG
04-21-2008, 13:36
i think that the Romani should get the election, seeing as the Koinon Hellenon was a combination of different city-states with their own unique government, as opposed to the Romani, whose government was focused on elections.

Foot
04-21-2008, 16:07
So was the Aedui, so was Carthage ...

We won't be using the papal system to represent elections for any one faction.

Foot

sgsandor
04-22-2008, 22:18

Foot

good call!

Ayce
04-29-2008, 15:14

Foot

Bah...so were the Getai....

But I saw in an earlier post that the Teutons don't use a family tree, do they use an election system of somekind?

Captain Trek
05-04-2008, 10:13
But I saw in an earlier post that the Teutons don't use a family tree, do they use an election system of somekind?

Indeed they don't... It's in the Teutonic campagain in Kingdoms... In it, the "Teutonic Order" faction still have a 'faction leader' (the Hochmeister, head of the Teuronic order) (they also have a 'Grosskomtur', the Hochmesiter's second in command), but instead of a family tree, you would instead occasionally get a 'cadidate for recruitment', very similar to a 'cadidate for adoption' in that you get a new general, but different in that it does add anything to your family tree (actually, you don't even have one)...

If you fire up a Teutonic Order game, don't be discouraged by the starting Hochmeister and Grosskomtur having the 'faction leader' and 'heir apparant' traits, repsectively. When the Hochmesiter dies, the title is not necessarily given to the Grosskomtur (and subsequent Hochmesiters and Grosskomturs won't have the 'faction leader' and 'heir apparant' traits, either). I don't know how the AI determines who gets to be Hochmesiter next, but it is not necessarily the Grosskomtur who gets it...

Anyway, it seems to me that the Teutonic Order's family treeless general system could work reasonably well to simulate political system like that of the Romanii. Of course, it still would be historically inaccurate for any one Roman to have the same title all their life, but it's a start, particularly if it can be applied to more than one faction in the same campaign...

Captain Trek
05-04-2008, 10:22
Sorry for the double post, but I've just had a brainwave and for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to edit my above post...

Anyway, using the Teutonic Order general system, even if we have to keep the system of having a 'faction leader', maybe the EB team could make it so that the trait is merely a placeholder for the benefit of the game's engine so that, for all intents and purposes, the Romanii faction wouldn't actually have a fixed 'faction leader' at all... That way, the title of 'Consul' could still move around, as it does in EB 1.1... When the placeholder 'faction leader' dies, the placeholder trait would simply be given to one of your other generals, the same way the 'Hochmeister' trait is given to one of your other generals when you're playing the Teutonic Order...

What do you think? Could this workaround be viable? ~:confused: