PDA

View Full Version : AGE!!

Jorduan
04-20-2008, 14:25
Im very sorry if this has been discussed before, but I recently thought of the issue of ages within EB.

For example, family members, admirals, diplomats etc. all age.
Units, on the other hand, are exempt from this: you can start off a campaign with an elite unit, which you can use for an unlimited amount of time.

Obviously, this is not a totally accuate representation of reality, and although I can comprehend the great difficulties presented through trying to account for such an 'age' mechanism within the game, I do feel that this would add an interesting dimension into the experience.

Perhaps demographics of cities/regions could be accounted for, with certain percentages of males/females and different age groups. This always pops into my mind when dealing with small towns which lack the numbers to add to or retrain your armies. Also, various class-strata of society could be considered, as this is relavant to the units themselves, and could aid a realistic proportion of wealthy/elite units against lower class/basic units within armies.

Again, I am compelled to point out that I am aware of the complexity of the situation which I am pointing out. However, I am interested if any other people have considered these kinds of issues within EB.2.

If so then please leave your thoughts here.
Cheers.

:idea2:

General Appo
04-20-2008, 14:28
Nice idea, but it´s hardcoded. It´s impossible to keep track of individual units that way, trust me, I proposed this as well.

Jorduan
04-20-2008, 14:31
cheers.

do you have any thoughts concerning demographics at all?

Korlon
04-21-2008, 04:07
Hardcoded as well. Can't do anything about it.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-22-2008, 08:00
I just roleplay that the old men retire and new guys make their way in, especially when I take them to a core town and retrain them. Sometimes, if I'd had an army sitting around for a generation, I just consider them the sons of the guys I had last time I used the army, since there was a military class for most factions.

Parallel Pain
04-24-2008, 19:22
According to Yuuki one of the programers of MTW actually made the code for it and Activision told him to remove it ><

I think as long as there's an "auto-retrain" option it's not that hard to compensate for it.

Ludens
04-24-2008, 19:55
According to Yuuki one of the programers of MTW actually made the code for it and Activision told him to remove it ><
I think you are talking about an old mechanism in M:TW 1. Basically, when generals died of old age they would be replaced by an identical general. A bit of code was added to make the successors be slightly weaker, but Activation didn't want the game to become to difficult so it was deactivated. However, by adding a command-line to the shortcut one could reactivate it (and IIRC this was responsible for introducing the 56-year bug ~:shrug: ). This has been confirmed by the developer in question, although I cannot find his post right now.

Ayce
04-29-2008, 15:10
Speaking of age, can units loose experience over time (not below 2) in M2TW to reflect the replacement of individuals in the unit? Or can it be modded in?

blacksnail
04-29-2008, 16:29
Think of a unit less as X specific men, but as X warm bodies who operate under a banner. Natural attrition and replacement is a part of the upkeep cost.

General Appo
05-09-2008, 12:11
Speaking of age, can units loose experience over time (not below 2) in M2TW to reflect the replacement of individuals in the unit? Or can it be modded in?

No. As I explained in my first post in this thread the game cannot keep track of how long individual units has existed, and so cannot no matter what you try recognise any difference between a freshly recruited unit and one that has been rotting in a backwater province for 300 years. Sorry.