PDA

View Full Version : French Court (IC Thread)

TinCow
04-22-2008, 17:36
This is the IC Thread for the Test Game. Since we won't have any 'Diet' sessions at all, there's no need for this to take place in some kind of voting body area. We'll just call it the 'French Court' for convenience, and we can assume it's in Paris.

Please remember that as of this moment, army compositions and precise avatar placement are not yet known, so it would be best to avoid talking about those topics.

Ferret
04-22-2008, 17:42
Bonjour mes amis.

Privateerkev
04-22-2008, 17:46
Count Guillemot de Lyon walks into the court. With purpose he strides to the center to speak. Serious yet sad, he addresses the body.

Fellow countrymen,

It is with great regret that I come to inform all of you that House Gascony has declared war upon House Anjou. Our grievances are simple.

While the King's father, God rest his soul, saw the importance of the Iberian theater, his son does not. The Moors are at the gates of Europe! And who do you trust to stop them? The Spanish? The Portuguese? No! It should be us!

House Gascony has served loyally and has protected France for years! And what do we get? How are our sacrifices rewarded? By neglect...

I'm sorry but this can not continue. We will re-balance the power of the Houses. And then, and only then, we will get back to the business of conquering Europe, as is our place as Frenchmen.

I wish it to be known that those in House Anjou will be given full quarter. Any who wish to be left out of the current hostilities will be given asylum in my House. I wish for this war to be short and quick. No need for great amounts of bloodshed. But we do wish to let it be known that we are to be taken seriously.

Let every other House, here and in the future, take notice! If we, loyal sons of France can be treated so badly by the King, so can you! We fight to show that while we are loyal, loyalty is a two-way street. If the King can get away with treating House Gascony such, then it is only a matter of time before House Normandy, House Albion, and yes even House Anjou are treated the same way.

Thank you my fellow countrymen and may God save France.

_Tristan_
04-22-2008, 17:48
Bohemond Chanteur :

Messeigneurs, un grand boujour à la noblesse de France assemblée ici

Que Dieu vous garde

(I had to do it... Now reverting to English :wall: )

_Tristan_
04-22-2008, 17:55
Bohemond Chanteur :

Bowing to Guillemot de Lyon.

I would answer here and now but I would not speak out of turn and will let my liege tell you how things stand between our Houses.

Sit down to wait for the arrival of his liege.

Privateerkev
04-22-2008, 18:09
nodding to Bohemond, Guillemot is seen at his desk writing many letters.

The Lemongate
04-22-2008, 20:04
Uneasy silence follows. There is clearly tension in the air.

Suddenly, from the back of the room, a man starts clapping his hands. Slowly. Deliberately.

The tension rises.

"BRAVO!"

Marquess Poitevin walks up to Count Guillemot. Claps his shoulder, smiles and turns towards the assembled nobles:

"Bravo, mon ami! You show great courage on this day. You make the House of Gascony proud. Non, par Saint-Denis, you make all of France proud! Such a show of character, such a display of righteous moral strength when a drunkard can leave the bottle long enough to declare war upon his own kinsmen! And he didn't even bring any girls with him this time! Truly Count you surprise me!"

With a grin, the Marquess looks at the de Lyon's reddening countenance before turning again to the assembly. Leaving behind the sarcasm, he takes on a more serious tone:

"Truly the House of Gascony has fallen low to resort to such antics to get the King's notice. War between Frenchmen! We shall defend our cities against your naked aggression count and we shall defend France against the Germans enemy. And if the Moors and the Arabs do threaten la mère patrie, our arms will join yours to defeat them as well!

All who love France and her King will stand tall and condemn your opportunism! May this war be quick and may God grant Anjou justice. Vive la France! Et vive le Roy!"

Privateerkev
04-22-2008, 20:13
Guillemot sits at his desk for a moment in shock at the nerve that the Marquess had in touching him. Finally he stands up and stares at Poitevin with a look that could kill.

Do not presume you can touch me. Ever. Do that again and you will draw back a stump, despite our pledge to not do violence in this sacred place.

You and the King brought this upon yourselves. You profited quite well by being his lackey. And France suffered. Our armies were left rotting for years while you gallivanted all over Germany. Someone has to put you in your place. You are but one front in the war to spread our benevolent rule across Europe. One! Yet you get the resources that almost top all of ours combined!

And the best you can do to defend yourself is attack my character. Some men in this room pretend I am the only one of us who enjoys a good French wine and the company of a warm woman. But I have seen many of you in the places I frequent. Some of you are total hypocrites. My leisure activities are not on trial here. It is our King's negligence and your enabling of that negligence that are the issue.

The next time you walk up that close to me, you better have a sword in your hand...

GeneralHankerchief
04-22-2008, 21:02
Prince Louis:

Patience, mes seigneurs. Patience and decency.

Just because we are in a war does not mean that we should not treat our fellow commanders with the utmost respect and decency. It is unbecoming of a proper Frenchman.

It appears that internal war is upon us, despite the best efforts of our diplomats. I will remind everyone, however, that we are still fighting external enemies and that they will be all too willing to take advantage of our current state of affairs. Be careful, mes seigneurs, not to draw this conflict out unnecessarily.

Privateerkev
04-22-2008, 21:08
with a nod towards the Prince and a parting glare at Poitevin, Guillemot sits back down.

Ramses II CP
04-22-2008, 21:37
The King rises to his feet, and after a quick, sharp glance at his son, addresses Count Guillemot de Lyon. While speaking the King paces slowly around the entire length of the table in the center of the chamber, forcing all eyes to turn with him and follow his progress.

Nobles of France, this is a black day to raise the spector of civil war. Hegemony has only just been established over the English while the Reich's endless riches pour forth armies against our eastern marches. I am especially shocked that the good Count would offer the Moorish threat as a rationale for weakening the very front along which the Moors would invade!

That being said, I can only lament my own lack of powers sufficient to redress these matters. My influence with the Chancellor is slight. If the men of Gascony's chief complaint is a lack of soldiers to claim new territory, then I recommend they speak with the man who can rectify that situation and leave the heart of France undisturbed.

I note that Spain stands belittled in these chambers, but do not sleep on their capacity for war. If Gascony means to threaten Spain and Anjou both then Gascony may well turn out to be a greater threat than even the Germans. That being said, I cannot and will not play favorites among my subjects.

My charge is not to satisfy the territorial aims of my nobles, but to ward an entire nation. I will look to the good of that nation first and foremost, and strike down an the external threats to it's continued existence.

At this point the King has reached the seats of the newest house, Albion, and as he passes he briefly places a friendly hand on each of those noble's right shoulders while carrying on with his speech.

With that in mind, I will make it known that I intend to personally gather an army and lead a fresh offensive against the Reich. If this squabble through the center of France proceeds it may even threaten Paris, and so I must call on one of my loyal retainers to guard my lands. I will be in touch with the man I count worthy very soon, and rest assured the potential reward will be very great.

Whether by chance or cold calculation the King's amble around the table has passed behind Loius and come to a stop just to the left of the Prince's seat, forcing him to turn his whole body around in his chair to see Philip. When the word worthy passes the King's lips his gaze falls squarely on his son and a faintly unpleasant look comes onto Philip's face.

:egypt:

Privateerkev
04-22-2008, 21:51
Guillemot sits quietly as the King speaks. It is clear he is not happy with what he hears. When it is clear the King is done, Guillemot stands but remains behind his desk.

Your majesty, with all due respect,

The lack of manpower along the Iberian front was a problem you caused, not the Prince. The Prince has tried to rectify it. Your the one that pulled men away when the corpses were hardly dry on the battlefield. Your father understood the importance of keeping a strong army in Iberia.

This is to rectify an old wound. And to ensure it never ever happens again. You claim you do not play favorites but it is clear that one House has benefited fully out of proportion with regards to the others. And another was created out of thin air when men from another House fought gloriously to win the land this new House stands on.

It is time you learn that while we are loyal, we are not dogs to be kicked. This is not something I do for myself, or my House. But it is done for the good of France. The nobles need to know they will be treated fairly by their ruler.

You reap what you sow my King...

Guillemot waits to see if the King responds.

GeneralHankerchief
04-23-2008, 01:13
Prince Louis:

Actually Father, I had planned on sending you down to Iberia to hold off the numerous enemies there. If, as you have suggested over the course of your entire career's actions, the Holy Roman Empire is the greatest threat to French sovereignty, then surely you would have no objection if her most accomplished general saw to the task of defending that particular front.

Ignoramus
04-23-2008, 03:29
Richart Marcel, Viscount of Guyenne, sighs as he rises to his feet.

All too plainly we see the pox of arrogance in our Angevin friends. They speak as if they are France herself, but as they have the King as a puppet I suppose they have a sliver of legitimacy to that claim.

We are taking this drastic action to not let the good work of our forefather, Charlemagne, go to waste. King Philippe has clearly favoured Anjou to the extent of risking the loss of French territory. Is Anjou so pampered that they the need the whole of France to march under their command before they march against the Germans?

It will be a long time before the Gascons trust their king again.

Ramses II CP
04-23-2008, 03:33
The King stands again with a wry grin, nodding to the Prince in an 'exactly what I thought you'd say' sort of way.

Which enemies in particular did you mean? The Portugese, who are trapped at Lisbon and haven't fought us for decades, the Spanish, with whom we are not at war and have quite cordial relations, or the Moors, whose lands are isolated from ours and require marching across the whole of Iberia?

Sounds like precisely the sort of plan you'd put together. Aside from an internal conflict let's put ourselves in the ill graces of the Pope and our allies by attacking a Catholic nation or marching armies across their lands to capture their former holdings from the Moors.

Turning to Count Guillemot the King raises an eyebrow and continues in an ironic vein.

It can hardly be said that I caused a lack of manpower if you feel you have enough left over to attack your fellow nobles. Indeed, it would seem I gave you a bit too much.

I have kicked no dogs but English ones lately. I suppose if the Prince has his way I'll have a few more placed beneath my feet soon enough though.

Though the grin remains the King's face hardens while he continues to gaze at the Count. He carries on in a subtly insulting tone.

'For the good of France let's kill some Frenchmen!' Oh yes, my good Count, I can see very well where you get your ideas.

A moment's glace at the Prince is more than enough to let the entire chamber know the King's meaning.

Now then, where was I? Oh yes, a fresh German offensive. New lands, new titles, who knows where it will all end? If the English campaign is any example, as I mean it to be, there may be few Germans left by the time we're done. Think well on it before you press a foolhardy assault against your own countrymen nobles of House Gascony.

GeneralHankerchief
04-23-2008, 03:38
Prince Louis:

I cannot, in good conscience, allow our large Iberian front to be abandoned totally, no matter the current situation with our neighbors. Surely your presence will be enough to keep the status quo, Father. Ordinarily, this task would fall to the Gascons, as it has for generations, but unfortunately their armies are beyond my control at the moment.

Again: No offense meant, but considering that, between the two of us, *I* am the better general, and also considering that you are placing priority on the Imperial front, and finally considering that I am loath to abandon Iberia and leave one of our four great Houses, no matter her current state of mind, to the dogs, I would be the better general to begin making these advances into Imperial territory.

Ramses II CP
04-23-2008, 03:51
(OOC aside: Do you actually have access to the save at the moment GH? I can send you some info from it if not. FYI half of House G is still 'at home' holding both ends of the line in Iberia. If you're aware of that and mean plugging the King into that space anyway, sorry, but I thought you mentioned some technical problems so I wanted to offer before you commit IC to a course. :2thumbsup: )

Privateerkev
04-23-2008, 04:51
Guillemot sits and watches the exchange. A messenger comes in and whispers something into his ear. Guillemot gets a big smile on his face, quickly subdues it, and stands up.

Your majesty, I wish to thank you for volunteering to hold the Iberian front while House Gascony takes care of internal matters. While you have starved our area of forces in the past, your generous offer to guard the southern front personally will go a long way towards mending old wounds. Even now a Spanish force makes it's way north. And yes I do have two of my men down there but they don't have anything like the forces a Royal Army possesses.

Thank you again for agreeing to go south.

Guillemot makes a long elaborate bow towards the King.

He then turns to Richart and smiles.

Richart! It is good to see you! It has been a long time old friend! We must talk later. Please come find me, we'll go hit that one place around the corner. I hear it is hopping these days.

After that, the Count's large grin, from when he heard the messenger's news, returns. He looks out at Marquess Poitevin.

Oh my dear Marquess! I have heard the most fascinating news! As you alluded to, I do spend a fair amount of time in certain places. And I have developed a bit of a network. And you would never guess who was seen keeping company with a woman of very... very dark complexion...

I think someone needs to make sure they don't live in a glass house...

Quite pleased with himself, Guillemot sits.

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 05:20
Poitevin's eyes flare, but his tone remains neutral:

"If you are alluding to the maids and servants that accompany my retinue during wartime, I do not see what shame I should take from being seen with mamluk Turks! They are after all the finest slaves one can buy in the great markets of Genoa and Constantinople, resilient, obedient and quite expendable. Would you rather have me drag poor, civilized French girls into the dark forests of Germany? Though now that I think of it, that probably happens to be a habit of yours... all those years under the sun of Iberia must have left it's mark.

Unless you have something relevant to say Count, I suggest you keep to your ill-conceived war. It suits you more then petty attempts at vendetta. You don't have any Corsican blood by any chance? Heh..."

To the assembled nobles:

"Having reviewed our situation a on the German front, I am please to assure the nobility of France that Frankfurt will soon fall into our hands. We will do what we can to facilitate its annexation to our glorious kingdom and ease its people's suffering as true Frenchmen ought to do. However, House of Anjou will unfortunately have to postpone expeditions to capture the great fortresses of Hamburg and Staufen to meet the threat of our own kinsmen who are massing near Dijon.

Of course, the Gascons could always chose to turn their arms towards the enemy and gain prestige and power for France, not to mention the German ale they seem so fond of... But I doubt they have our great Kingdom's interest much at heart."

Privateerkev
04-23-2008, 05:25
Guillemot raises an eyebrow but remains seated.

Maid? Is that what you call them now-a-days?

I hear she is very well "trained" for a... maid...

I guess she's very good at cleaning pipes...

What say you Poitevin? Does she do a good job cleaning pipes?

The Count leans back in his chair, folds his hands behind his head, and smiles.

Csargo
04-23-2008, 05:38
Thomas Maquereau sits, obviously annoyed with the current conversation...

I hardly see how this is a relevant topic to be discussing now. We have more important things to discuss.

deguerra
04-23-2008, 05:43
His face tight at his Count's latest remark, Michiel sits silently, obviously restraining himself to hold his tongue

Privateerkev
04-23-2008, 06:20
The Count bristles at Thomas's remark. But, seeing his Baronet's expression, Count Guillemot's features soften.

That is a wonderful question Baronet Thomas Maquereau! You might want to ask your Marquess why he brought it up in the first place earlier in the day. All I've done is shed some light on a certain... habit of someone's that happens to be similar to the one that I tend to get raked over the coals for.

Speaking of being over something, it seems the Marquess and I have more in common than I thought...

A mischievous little grin brightens the Count's face.

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 06:21
"Mais oui, Guillemot, mais oui! Keep on discrediting yourself at the court! What would other uncivilized nations think of us if they saw educated Frenchmen bicker like little girls rather then men talking about the future of our world?

Nobles gens, I am truly sorry to have to have inspired de Lyon to show us the depth of his earthly knowledge.

Guillemot, you should try to listen when the grown ups are talking about a serious matter. The Germans, unless decisively defeated, pose an important threat and your childish games distract all of us here. Perhaps if your household servants spent more time cleaning your clothes then, cleaning your pipes, you would not bring with you the whiff of alcohol in every court session you attend. It really does nothing for your credibility."

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 06:24
Turning to face Prince Louis:

"My Prince, the House of Anjou would be delighted to have you orchestrate the next military campaigns against the Germans. However, we must note that due to you being the next in line to the throne and the impressive threat posed by our Germanic foes, it might not be advised to send the cream of France's nobility into such dangerous territory. Especially if most of House Anjou is distracted by a petty struggle back home."

Privateerkev
04-23-2008, 06:26
Guillemot ponders what the Marquess has said. He calls over a servant. You can barely make out the words but if you listen closely you hear.

That old goat has a point. Go get Marcy, Darcy, Charlene, what? Charlene has a rash? Ok get Mary then. Tell them all to be at my place later tonight and to find a way to "clean" both things at the same time.

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 06:33
Raoulet sighs.

GeneralHankerchief
04-23-2008, 12:10
Prince Louis:

Do not doubt my military acumen, Marquess. In case you have forgotten, I have participated in numerous successful campaigns, most notably the invasion of England itself, time and time again demonstrating that I can keep myself as well as other nobles out of danger.

rossahh
04-23-2008, 13:04
Baron Arnoud stands

Please, my prince, the Marquess only meant that with threat of Gascony striking from the west, France's eastern front with the Holy Roman Empire could collapse to the ruin of us all. We do not wish our prince to be stranded and alone in the Reich's territory.

gibsonsg91921
04-23-2008, 13:05
Bah! The petty House Gascon shall learn what the noble House Anjou does to traitors.

deguerra
04-23-2008, 13:28
Michiel looks up from his bored stupor and asks sarcastically

It hurls petty insults at them?

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 14:06
Without bothering to turn around, a look of contempt on his face, the Marquess says:

"You were silent a minute ago Baronet. It suited you. Unless of course you have an enlightening point of view on the Moorish situation? Are Moslems on the offensive again? Hmmm? If so, you should hasten to call back your lord and his cronies so they can fight off this mighty threat!"

Ramses II CP
04-23-2008, 14:32
Rising again the King quirks an eyebrow at Count de Lyon and speaks lightheartedly.

You have somehow managed to completely misapprehend the situation once again good Count. I and my royal army will march for Staufen, on the German front, immediately. The Chancellor holds no sway over the men of my command.

It would be terribly unfortunate if, along the way to Staufen, I and my army encountered fighting between Frenchmen. I truly cannot predict what the consequences would be.

I will remind you all, gentlemen, to keep a civil tone in these chambers. Casting aspersions at my daughter will no longer be tolerated and men who test my resolve on that may find themselves banned from speaking in this chamber.

The King's tone darkens at the end of his speech, and his gazes come squarely back to Count de Lyon.

Privateerkev
04-23-2008, 14:40
An amused look crosses the Count's face.

So all your talk about serving all of France was just talk eh? And here I thought you were sincere...

As for aspersions on your daughter, I cast none. It is not her fault her husband prefers young Nubian flesh. The man loves to keep pointing out my "preferences" yet can't stand having his own "desires" examined. If she feels dishonored, then I say it is her husband that has dishonored her. Why should I be blamed every time he corners one of his "maids" in the chambers?

If a noble can be banned for speaking the truth about another noble, then it is indeed a dark day in French history.

I've never hidden who I am. It is a shame others have to hide who they are behind facades of God and Chivalry.

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 14:56
"Guillemot, had alcohol not deluded your senses, your words might carry some weight. But your persistance to bring up hearsay and make baseless accusations at the Court are a waste of time. I understand your pain. A warrior who spends years away from the front drinking and bedding lesser women might bear a grudge to more fortunate fellows. But making a fool of yourself will not improve your situation.

Now if anyone had anything constructive to say..."

Privateerkev
04-23-2008, 15:04
The Count just smiles at the Marquess.

Baseless? I've done some checking and you have a "reputation" among certain circles that rivals my own. It's a pretty good reputation too. Apparently your stamina is renowned throughout Paris's more colorful districts. I didn't know you had it in you, you old goat.

I'm impressed...

As for alcohol, you'll notice there is no smell left in my clothes. I tried those tips you gave me last night and they worked... wonderfully. You have my gratitude...

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 15:06
"Petit impertinent."

_Tristan_
04-23-2008, 15:16
Bohemond Chanteur :

Standing, looking first towards Marquess Poitevin then towards Count de Lyon.

Mes seigneurs,

I could remain here all day listening to you trading pleasantries if only serious matters didn' need consideration.

Civil war is at our door, ready to rip France in two and throw half its nobility against the other half with no care for the people...

For who will care for the lesser folk while we, fortunate beings that we are, fight each other for the favour of our King...

If we were at peace with our neighbours, I would leave you all to lead your petty feuds to your heart's content but the German wolf is howling at our walls...

While I won't deny the Moorish threat is to be dealt with, it is still distant and could be dealt with in due time once Germany has been brought to heel...

Chaque chose en son temps...

Now, I hope that Count de Lyon's moves were only to call the attention of our King and that he won't go any further in implementing this dangerous plan.

With a brief look towards Prince Louis.

Lastly, I hope our King's own son will not fuel the rivalry between the Houses but will rather attempt to help us all find a peaceful solution to those differences.

J'en ai fini, mes seigneurs.

Sits down, a disgusted look crossing his face.

Zim
04-23-2008, 16:50
Hugues watches the spectacle unfold before him silently. Despite all of the issues raised by the Civil War, several important to the security of all of France, he cannot help but focus on one close to home. What does this all mean for Albion?

The Lemongate
04-23-2008, 17:59
Tired of all the bickering, Marquess Poitevin sits down in his chair, purposefully keeping de Lyon out of his sight.

“House of Anjou is grateful for the King’s decision to march on Staufen. We hope the other Houses have suggestions to share with the Council concerning the Gascony’s warmongering antics or the fight against Germany. God willing, we will eventually start discussing matters of importance here.”

Ramses II CP
04-23-2008, 19:00
The question, good Count, is how in God's name I could possibly serve France by marching away from war? Burying me and my royal army in Iberia would only serve to harm France, just as your absurd ambitions will.

As to my daughter's honor, mindlessly impugning the reputation of her husband does damage to her honor. You will watch your mouth henceforth or be expelled. You walk dangerously close to dragging the royal family through the mud, and that I will not tolerate. Do I make myself clear?

Anyone who wants the King's attention need not march to war to get it. I am still willing to hear precisely what this supposed 'inequality' is and why I should act to redress it. There has been a war in the east, and the house that has fought there and taken land is now reaping the benefits. If that is inequality perhaps I should reassign the land from the prior conquest of Portugal as well?

King Philip's remarks are growing more abrupt, and it is increasingly clear that the attack on Constance disturbs him.

GeneralHankerchief
04-23-2008, 23:45
Prince Louis:

What have I done to deserve such dishonor from you, Father? Do you clearly have zero confidence in my plans as Chancellor?

I was elected by this body because they saw my past successes and they believed in my vision to further the interests of France as a whole. Unfortunately, due to this war, several cogs have been thrown in my plan and I am trying to make do with limited control over France's armies. The plan, Father, was to have you plug the gap in Iberia while Gascony resolves their conflict with Anjou. Already one Spanish army has slipped by Pamplona and could strike at our interior.

Instead you continue to insist on pressing towards Staufen, worrying about conquering fresh territories instead of defending our homelands! The Spanish, while "neutral", have clearly violated our borders and must not be allowed to do so repeatedly!

If France is to survive and prosper under my reign as Chancellor then I need full cooperation from all of my nobles...

...including the King of France himself.

Ramses II CP
04-24-2008, 00:51
The King's face colors with genuine astonishment.

Dishonor? You speak to me of dishonor? Where is the honor in sending your father away from a fight and directly into the territory of a House in the midst of civil war? Have you even sent a diplomat to speak to the Spanish, or are we about to be thrust into a war on the basis of one of their captains getting lost?

Why am I upbraided for not moving south to stop an army that House Gascony allowed into our lands by moving to attack their brothers? Where is your insult for Count de Lyon, who evidently exposed this nation to this territorial violation in his hasty ambition.

I say again there is no war in Iberia! I am moving to defend our lands from the sole aggressor in the region, the Reich. Your claims and Count de Lyon's outrageous insults appear to be combining into a collective approach towards my own good person that I am quite displeased about.

King Philip realizes his outburst was somewhat uneven, and visibly takes control of himself.

If you can provide me some proof that the Spanish, with whom we have been at peace as long as I can remember, are truly a threat then I will march south... On the condition that the castles at Toulouse and Bordeaux devote their products in trained men to my cause, on your word of honor, Louis. You wouldn't send your father to war without granting him some resources, would you?

The King then turns his back on the room to speak with some of his aids, half a dozen of whom quickly scurry out on various tasks while Philip returns to his seat.

Privateerkev
04-24-2008, 04:10
Count Guillemot de Lyon sits and watches the bickering with great amusement. Finally, he addresses the King.

Your Majesty,

We seem to be going over the same ground again and again. I will try to lay out my points in so plain a matter, that they can not be twisted.

1.) House Gascony fought for years to secure the Southern Border. Your father, in his wisdom, rewarded the House that fought and bled.

2.) When he passed, you sucked all the men and money out of House Gascony, leaving our Southern Border weak. Despite my pleas and reminders of the years House Gascony has served loyally.

3.) You did this solely because you do not like me. And that is fine, you don't have to. But you let hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen live in fear of our Southern neighbors.

4.) The Prince decided to correct this by giving House Gascony some men for the first time in years. But he will not be Chancellor forever. And I fear when his term ends, the next Chancellor will just take the troops away at your urging.

5.) So, I believe I had to act. To show you just how serious I am. You say to take this up to the Prince, but it is not the Prince who bled Gascony dry. You say I should just come to you, but I have, to no avail. You have let your personal feelings for me cloud your judgment.

But no more. Now you will understand that a French noble will bleed, kill, and die for you but we deserve some measure of respect.

As to your daughter's honor, the fact that you keep trying to blame me for the stain on her honor is just proof that your personal hatred for me clouds your better judgment. If you insist on banning me because of what another man does to your daughter, then there is little we will ever agree on and you might as well ban me and get it over with.

With that, Guillemot simply stands there perfectly straight with fire in his eyes as he waits for the King's response.

The Lemongate
04-24-2008, 04:29
Raoulet mutters:

"Oh misère! Mais il en remet en plus..."

Ramses II CP
04-25-2008, 04:03
(OOC: This will be a bit oddly OOC since I have to reply to a list)

1. Just as I have done with the House that has fought the Germans. Your complaint remains a mystery.

2. Our Southern border is unthreatened, and you clearly have far too many men if you're willing to commit them to a civil war. I stand by my decision.

3. If I do not like you, it is news to me. Surely you must confess that starting a civil war will tend to color a King's opinion of his noblemen.

4. You are exactly correct, no matter the outcome of this war as soon as a less partial Chancellor is in control I will encourage him to take troops away from houses that are likely to inflict a civil war on my nation. Does this seem unreasonable?

5. I can see what you believe, and I can see I will not sway your beliefs. Now, you go talk to Louis about the deal I put on the table just a bit ago and sway him... if you really want me to 'shore up' this oh so dangerous border your madness has left a gaping hole in.

Returning to Constance, you insult her without cause or proof. If you had raised this matter with me in private, before launching a civil war, your word might have had some credence. To bring the subject up now, in front of the whole court, is just a vapid attempt to sway mass opinion in your favor by demeaning my daughter. You run dangerously close to the line yet again, but I will allow it to pass because I am a man of honor and I meant my words exactly as I said them.

Now, run off and speak with your master, quickly, else Louis will find that he has trumped himself by failing to even acknowledge my offer.

The King nonchalantly turns to speak with his aids again, though this time none rush from the chamber.

Privateerkev
04-25-2008, 04:15
Guillemot's face twists into something close to a smile.

It is amusing to see someone get so many things wrong at once.

Alright, I've said my points. Next there will be some actions.

Some people are so far behind, they actually think they are ahead in the race...

With that, de Lyon gives a short laugh and goes to work on something at his desk.

PrinceofTroy
04-26-2008, 13:55
Baron Marcel silently takes everything in, thinking how will it effect Pamplona?

"My King, I do not think you realize the situation in the Southwest, the armies of the Moors and the Spanish are just waiting to for us to turn our backs on them so they may enter our Glorious Kingdom! You are obviously oblivious to this threat though, and I assume this stems from your hatred of House Gascony?"

Ramses II CP
04-30-2008, 18:01
After a long pause to reflect on how many times he has already addressed this issue, the King stares at Baron Marcel and says:

It was not under my orders that the Southern border armies marched north to attack their brothers. Do not presume to blame me for your Lord's folly again Baron. I have no hate for any of my noble Houses, though I increasingly wonder at the wisdom of having so many.

It is with great sadness that I greet the news of a fresh war with Sicily. While the petty matters of this civil war drag on, and wild claims of the dangerous Spanish and Moors are bandied about, Frenchmen at Ajaccio stand under siege with no forces in position to relieve them and all the professional armies of the South attacking their own. It little reassures me about the competence of our most excellent Chancellor that such a fate has befallen my loyal subjects.

May God have mercy on the men, women, and children of Ajaccio.

I must strongly caution the nobles of Gascony to treat the French citizens at Dijon with the utmost care. If I get word of massacres or rough treatment of my people I will intervene to bring it to an end.

King Philip returns to his seat with a resigned look and an elaborate sigh.

edit: Removed the bit about saving the garrison.

Privateerkev
04-30-2008, 18:33
Guillemot looks at the King.

Your majesty,

This goes for the Marquess as well. If either of you have something to say to me, say it to me directly. Leave my vassals alone. Surely two men of your statures can take a few comments from the lower ranks without getting defensive.

If any of their actions or words offend you, keep in mind, that as their Lord, I am the one responsible for them. Therefore, it is only proper to take your complaints to me and me alone. Are we clear?

As for your comment on there being too many Houses, you should have kept that in mind when you created a 4th one out of thin air.

Furthermore, did you not notice the Rebel force of 4 companies just south of Paris? With all due respect, instead of helping your "pet" conquer Germany, you could have been policing your own city...

As for Dijon, worry not. I am merely officiating an equitable transfer of property. There will be no mis-treatment of any settlements or prisoners by any of my men or they will answer to me.

Ramses II CP
04-30-2008, 20:24
The King scoffs,

You mean that pathetic and ill led band hiding out in the woods? I'd hardly call them a threat when there's a civil war drawing armies away from the German front. I suppose if you're offering to help though, then by all means I accept. March your men west and take care of that little problem for me.

Privateerkev
04-30-2008, 21:01
I promise I will treat the threat to Paris just as seriously as you treated the threat to France from the Spanish.

OverKnight
04-30-2008, 23:01
Prince Louis speaks.

What are we to do about the Sicilians, your Majesty? Surely they are more of a threat than outlaws?

I ask because Corsica is part of your personal holdings.

As for the outlaws threatening Paris, I will secure the countryside.

Ramses II CP
05-01-2008, 00:40
An excellent question my Chancellor. Since my input on matters to the south has thus far been ignored I will not pretend that I have any control over the situation. I can only pray that the unimaginably deadly threat of the peaceful Spanish which has been so often thrown in my face and which the lord of House Gascony is, err, fleeing from, will not distract us from yet another actual foreign war on yet another front.

In other words, what are your suggestions?

Privateerkev
05-01-2008, 02:55
If you had read the Chancellor Report, you would know that the Spanish have allied with the Germans.

Every time Anjou attacks the Germans, there is a chance that Spain will declare war on us. And they have an army marching north through France as we speak.

Furthermore, Germany is allied to Milan which neighbors territory you own.

And I am the one blamed with wanting to start wars with half the nations in Europe...

TinCow
05-01-2008, 12:01
Baronet Hermant Tanlay stands and clears his throat.

Noblemen of the Court, Chancellor and Prince Louis, I am but a lowly Baronet, not a man of great rank or prestige. Yet my lands stand watch at the far north of France's domain. Beyond my walls is nothing more than the untamed wilderness and wild Scotsmen. Indeed, the garrison of my city, York, is the front line of all of Western Civilization. Pagans and wolves lie to the north, and we shield true Christians from their wrath. And yet, we are vulnerable.

I have trained the men available to me to the best of my ability, but they are simply peasants and there is only so much that can be done. In the event of an invasion by the Scots or an uprising by the Welsh or other rebels, York will be powerless to resist them. Indeed, I note with concern that there is only one army in all of Albion that is even capable of confronting an enemy in the field: Viscount Henry's Private Army. Even this force is easily the weakest of all of France's armies. It is mainly composed of mercenaries, and not even ones of great quality. Indeed, in this entire army there are only two regiments of true French soldiers, a regiment of Knights and a regiment of unarmored Spearmen.

During times such as these, I hear much about concerns to the south and east, yet no one speaks for the deplorable state of our defenses in the north. True, the Scots are our allies at the moment, but they are a fickle people. The Scots have never been true friends with the rulers of England, whether those rulers hailed from London, Normandy, or Île-de-France. Give them a chance, and they will assail us, I assure you.

I ask the Chancellor to find some room in the budget for some small improvements to the defenses of Albion. I ask not for any great expenditures, simply an investment in our defense and future that may give us a small chance of success in the event of betrayal or rebellion. First, a few watchtowers to control the countryside and watch the border. Second, a fort along the Scottish border with which to delay any invasion. Third, the recruitment of some small number of true French soldiers for the border. Finally, an investment in the facilities of Caernarvon so that they may at least field the most basic of archers.

These investments may not be easy given the demands of other fronts, but I think they are small requests for the defense of an entire House. A House led by your own brother, my Prince. It should not be difficult to find a few hundred florins a year that can be diverted to cold Albion.

My thanks for your time, nobleman of the Court and my Prince.

*Baronet Tanlay bows and sits.*

Ramses II CP
05-02-2008, 14:24
The King casts a derisive glance at Guillemot.

Enough with the 'threat' of the Spanish. You stripped your border with them to show the world how much you fear them, and even now your nobles march away from them. Frankly I've begun to wonder if you didn't conclude some kind of side deal with Spain.

For me, I've marched straight at France's true enemy and laid siege to Staufen. Not wishing to waste good troops on this little assault, I have left many of my best men in the care of the Marquess. I am certain he will treat them well, as I hope and pray the rest of my nobles will as well.

I must second Baronet Hermant Tanlay in his call for northern reinforcements. The borderlands of our most recent conquests are thinly held and full of discontent peasants. A rebellion there would reverse all those dearly bought gains we secured against England.

Turning to the Prince, the King continues in a less pleasant tone.

Louis if I understand your latest report correctly you made a gift of my settlement at Ajaccio to the Sicilians by repudiating the possibility of a retaliatory strike. Can I assume you will be repaying me for my loss out of your personal lands or funds?

The King takes a seat, with a look of dissatisfaction on his face.

Privateerkev
05-02-2008, 14:41
The Count looks indignent.

Every time you attack the Germans, you increase the chance that the Spaniards will attack us. While you might not care for the citizens of Gascony, I do.

As for your comment regarding me and the Spanish, that is just as absurd as your comment about giving men to the Marquess "to care for."

You have sheltered an Anjou army unit. And now you have reinforced an Anjou field army. These are slaps in the face to all of Gascony and should give every noble in this court pause.

Your claim of neutrality is a farce. Every action you take shows you care little for hundreds of thousands of your own people.

TinCow
05-02-2008, 14:52
*Baronet Hermant Tanlay scowls at Count de Lyon and absent mindedly fingers a letter in his pocket. He looks around, impatiently, for the other noblemen from Albion, but neither can be seen.*

Privateerkev
05-02-2008, 15:13
Guillemot sees the Baronet's scowl from the corner of his eye. He simply makes a notation in a small notebook. The Count then writes a letter and hands it off to one of his aids.

Zim
05-02-2008, 18:20
Baron Hugues enters the chamber, nodding towards his vassal Baronet Hermant before sitting down.

Ramses II CP
05-02-2008, 18:49
By God, if I hear any more lies about your fear of the Spanish, the very fear that causes your nobles and armies to flee the Spanish border, I will declare war on them just to get this farce over with! Then you can spill foreign blood to get your new lands, always assuming you can make it back to the broder before they overwhelm the paltry forces you've left behind.

I am sheltering French soldiers from being slaughtered by their brothers, and I will continue to do so. Your protestations at being prevented from killing Frenchmen are very well noted indeed.

Presuming I am not about to be assaulted from behind for the crime of looking after my subjects, I will adjourn from this purposeless session and see to the siege of Staufen. Good day all, I can be reached by private letter if necessary.

The King departs the chamber without a backward glance.

Privateerkev
05-02-2008, 19:07
Anyone who is paying attention will notice the Count smile as he watches the King leave.

Privateerkev
05-05-2008, 14:38
Yelling and crashing is heard from outside the door in the hallway. The Count bursts into Court in full battle armor. His normally silver plate is dusty, dented, and covered with blood. With aides tugging at his cape, he advances towards the throne.

PHILLIP!!!!!!!!!!

I should !@#$'ing kill you right here you !@#$'ing coward!

Guillemot's aides get in front of him. They can be heard pleading with the Count to not do anything in Court.

You abused your neutral status to walk across the bridge with men that you then gave to my enemy to strike at my back!

What ever happened to your pathetic notions of chivalry!?! You cast your own values aside for a man who cheats on your daughter with an African !@#$

Pausing for a brief second. Guillemot unsnaps the scabbard at his side and begins to draw his sword. His mercenary captain sees the move and hooks his arm inside of Guillemot's and pulls it back. "My lord no! The King's men will kill you where you stand," the mercenary captain says to attempt to calm down his friend. Guillemot notices the King's bodyguards tense and move forward to be closer to Phillip.

Alright, you want to play? Let's play your majesty. I am sick and tired of your meddling. It almost got me killed today.

As of this moment, House Gascony is now at war with King Phillip.

If you want me dead, your going to have to be a man and do it yourself on the !@#$'ing battlefield!

Guillemot storms out of Court with his men in tow.

TinCow
05-05-2008, 14:57
*Baronet Tanlay shifts uncomfortably in his seat. He makes a point of meeting Count de Lyon's eye and bowing his head respectfully.*

Ramses II CP
05-05-2008, 17:56
(OOC: Err, as noted, the King is not present. :laugh4: I guess I'll get him to send a letter to court or something?)

Privateerkev
05-05-2008, 18:14
OOC: In KotR people floated from Outremer to Russia to Rome and back again all the time. I figured some time had passed so I thought the King had returned to preside over "Court". Oops... :embarassed:

Ramses II CP
05-06-2008, 21:56
The King returns to the Council Chambers in Paris, still wearing travel stained garmets. On his face can still be seen the shock of the utter defeat of his allies.

Gentlemen of the court it is my opinion that the Civil War has gotten out of hand. I had hoped to see it settled decisively and honorably with a single battle, but given the outburst that I am reliably informed has just happened here and the declaration of war against my own person...

Well, it seems clear that the war is widening into a broader conflagration which may well consume all of France. To prevent that I am forced to call for an Emergency Diet session with the goal of impeaching the Chancellor, who is the hand behind Guillemot the puppet.

I hope that those who favored the Prince's Chancellorship can now see how he has abused the power granted to him to promote and exacerbate a destructive civil war.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a few more matters to attend to, but I'll return soon.

The King once more adjourns the chamber.

deguerra
05-06-2008, 23:39
With all due respect your majesty,

How can you accuse your son of abusing his power, given your own role in that "decisive" battle you sought to create?

How can you accuse your own son of promoting the civil war, when he does no more than you, albeit favoring the opposite faction.

mumbling to himself

sadly, YOU cannot be impeached...

Privateerkev
05-06-2008, 23:57
Count Guillemot comes into Court in time to hear his Baronet speak. The Count is calmer now than when he left and walks up to his table. His aides fill him in on what the King said and you can hear de Lyon chuckle and respond with "wow, he really has grown desperate." The Count then addresses the Court after giving a welcoming nod to Michiel.

I find it amusing that the King didn't try to impeach his son until after his son had to legally retrain the King's army. I'm sure the King will just say it is a coincidence...

But no matter. It seems the world stops because the King is disappointed that his little trap for me failed. I have something to say about this so called impeachment proceeding that everyone would do well to keep in mind.

The King is not long for this world. One day, in the near future, Father-Time will come and claim our dear beloved King. And on that day, Prince Louis will claim the throne. And he will then, by our laws, be allowed to claim the Chancellorship automatically.

Therefore, it would be good for everyone to remember that when they vote later today. The Prince has a long memory. As do I...

And if anyone thinks we will forget between now and the King's death remember this. The King could die sooner than we expect. He has insisted on putting me in the regrettable position of declaring war on him. Therefore it is inevitable that we will meet in battle. While I will do my best to spare him, for he is the King, battles are very messy and chaotic places...

With a cold smile, the Count sits.

OverKnight
05-07-2008, 05:35
Louis enters the room.

I will not waste my breath arguing the King's accusations.

Let's bring this impeachment attempt to a vote so I can continue with my term.

OOC:

*3.8 – Impeachment: The CHANCELLOR can be impeached and removed from office by a two-thirds majority vote of the GOVERNING BODY. Impeachment takes effect immediately after the vote is passed. After impeachment, a fresh election is held to elect a new CHANCELLOR, although the FACTION LEADER may also exercise his power to become CHANCELLOR at that point. The nobleman replacing the impeached CHANCELLOR serves out the remainder of the impeached CHANCELLOR’S term. All Edicts passed in the GOVERNING BODY session that elected the impeached CHANCELLOR remain valid, unless overturned by new Edicts at the Emergency Session that impeached him.

OverKnight
05-07-2008, 23:41
Louis glances over at the Baronet de Plaisians.

Et tu, Bertin?

I will remember this.

Ferret
05-08-2008, 16:30
Remember what my Prince? I was not aware I had done anything wrong.

Privateerkev
05-08-2008, 16:38
Then your either an idiot or a liar.

Either way your not very useful...

Ferret
05-08-2008, 18:49
Well I am certainly not the latter and dearly hope that I have not been infected by the former. I'm sure this is a big misunderstanding and will soon be resolved.

Bertin cannot help but let out a quick smirk before resuming his very serious composure.