PDA

View Full Version : Technologies

PBI
04-27-2008, 01:04
James Russell: For the first time, we are actually having a technology tree that lets player's research pure technologies as well as construct and upgrade buildings.

We have a host of different technologies that the player can choose to focus on. Some will give units new abilities on the battlefield, or allow your artillery to develop new types of ordnance. Some will improve ships' sailing and fighting performance, others will develop your economy and enable new buildings and infrastructure, and others will advance the educational level of your nation and speed up future research.

I was intrigued to see this piece of information in the latest interview, and to be honest I am still in two minds as to whether it will work; although I suppose there were nations in this period who put a lot of effort into technological development and reaped the rewards, so it would seem odd for new technologies to always be introduced for everyone at the same time by a scripted event.

However, since this feature has been announced, what technologies do you think we are likely to see?

From the screenshots I think we can assume Watt's steam engine is a shoe-in; I would guess things like rifles and bayonet technologies are also pretty likely.

Otherwise, how about the first hot-air-balloon flight, which would give access to observation balloons to use in battle?

Or maybe the invention of Harrison's chronometer, which would make long distance voyages easier?

I was interested (although not hugely surprised) to see the mention of later 19th-century technologies being accessible; maybe ironclad ships, or even early machine guns, might sneak in as top-end technologies?

Matt_Lane
04-27-2008, 11:21
[QUOTE=Poor Bloody Infantry] However, since this feature has been announced, what technologies do you think we are likely to see?

From the screenshots I think we can assume Watt's steam engine is a shoe-in; I would guess things like rifles and bayonet technologies are also pretty likely.

Otherwise, how about the first hot-air-balloon flight, which would give access to observation balloons to use in battle?

Or maybe the invention of Harrison's chronometer, which would make long distance voyages easier?

I was interested (although not hugely surprised) to see the mention of later 19th-century technologies being accessible; maybe ironclad ships, or even early machine guns, might sneak in as top-end technologies?[/QUOTE=Poor Bloody Infantry]

Steam trains and ironclad ships are a little out of the time frame but if you invest in technological development I don't see a problem in them being available towards the end of the game. I would be sorely disappointed if machine guns made an appearance as they would require several additional technological steps to acquire them.

Some technological steps I would like to see would be;

Newcomens Atmospheric Engine
Watts Steam Engine
Spinning Jenny
Flying Shuttle
Power Looms
Trevethicks High Pressure Steam Engine
Paddle Steamers
Steam Railways

I'd imagine that each step would increase a nations productivity but for certain government types public unrest would increase as jobs were lost and economic migration kicked in.

Military technology developments could also include;

Socket Bayonets
Rifles
Rockets
Shrapnell shells
Horse Artillery
Observation balloons
Minie Rifle

And at sea;

Bomb ships
Marine Chronometer
Copper sheathed hulls
Cannonade
Submarines

I'd love to see observation balloons and submarines make an appearance but I can't imagine the games engine would be able to handle them. Also it would open the possibility of the AI spawning stacks filled only with balloons or subs.

rajpoot
04-27-2008, 12:33
Submarines? In 1800s?! :inquisitive:
Btw, what about the Gatling gun, that was invented in the early 1800s right?

Matt_Lane
04-27-2008, 16:12
Submarines? In 1800s?! :inquisitive:
Btw, what about the Gatling gun, that was invented in the early 1800s right?

The first submarine I know of was made by Drebbel in 1620. Apparently it was demonstrated before King James 1st traveling up and down the Thames several times. The first military use of a submersible vehicle was by David Bushells 'Turtle' in 1776 when it attacked, unsuccessfully HMS Eagle. I also read somewhere that the French built a submarine called 'Nautilus' during the Napoleonic Wars.

Richard Gatling took out his patent on the Gatling Gun in 1862:hmg: . His machine utilises breach loading, percussion caps and a firing pin system, all more advanced than the flintlock muzzle loading weapons available in the 1820's.

Jolt
04-27-2008, 17:37
Submarines were anything but reliable in this period. Plus they were used sporadically, at best, and they never were into major naval battles like the ones CA seems to want to implement in ETW. It would come from the same drawing table as the Head Hurlers.

Furious Mental
04-27-2008, 17:45
Rifles were invented well before the game starts. On the other hand the Minie ball was invented after it is likely to end.

Matt_Lane
04-27-2008, 18:06
Submarines were anything but reliable in this period. Plus they were used sporadically, at best, and they never were into major naval battles like the ones CA seems to want to implement in ETW. It would come from the same drawing table as the Head Hurlers.

Definitely, these were the only examples I know of up until the American Civil War but I don't think that means they should be discounted. Total War has always had a quirky unit or two, Myan Bee flingers, Panze-phants, Greek flame throwers. All have been based on facts but their historical influence has been less than CA would have us to believe. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for rocket powered Zeplines or musket toting dwarfs in ETW but these odd units have also made me chuckle and I'll admit to touring the Middle East searching for Elephants for hire. I therefore think that Submarines, Observation Balloons and Rockets (also not so successful period innovations) could be a welcome addition to the ETW armory.

russia almighty
04-27-2008, 18:38
Oh hell, there were even primitive breech loading rifles in this period. Had problems with keeping pressure, but, apparently they did there job good enough.

Flying Pig
04-28-2008, 17:47
I would prefer more like:

Improve artillery accuracy
develop fusil technology
improve farming

et cetera and perhaps you can eventually, with enough 'points' in artillery and fusils make a gatling gun, so you don't know what you're getting, like no-one set out to invent a hot-air balloon, they wanted to fly and came up with it. Sic idem!

Matt_Lane
04-29-2008, 08:22
Rifles were invented well before the game starts. On the other hand the Minie ball was invented after it is likely to end.

Rifles were about but I think they weren't used militarily except for militia's using their own weapons. It would seem odd to have them invented half way through the game but I just can't see them being available from the beginning if for no others reasons than game balance and tech tree development.

I'd have liked to stretch the time line to include the Minie ball, again as it adds development to the somewhat stagnant small arms technology.

I didn't realise that there were breach loading rifles in this period so that is something I'd definitely love to see in the game. The ability to reload in a prone position would add an advantage to light infantry.

Lastly, Flying Pig, whats Fusil Technolgy, is it related to Fusiliers?

RLucid
04-29-2008, 10:38
According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle#Origins it was 3 1/2 centuries after "invention" in mid-15th that it became practical for Infantry use due to the precision required in manufacture.

They should be around towards the end of the game at least, Wellington's rifle regiments took a significant role in the Iberian campaign, thats about 1800; even if the "sharpshooter" was actually over-hyped after a certain colony rebelled 20-25 years previously.

It doesn't really matter when something was invented, it's when it can be practically used & supplied in the field that matters. So actually precision engineering and manufacturing techniques are more important, even if they aren't headline grabbers.

On Fusilier ( according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusil ) was a soldier type deploying a lightweight type of musket called a fusil.

Furious Mental
04-29-2008, 11:40
Well my understanding is that rifled muskets were in use at least since the mid 17th century in siege warfare. There were also rifled wall guns in use at that time.

As well as researching technologies, development should also depend on creating the state apparatus to handle a modern society. For instance, capitalism depends on laws relating to property, contracts, and corporations, so developing a legal system should be part of it. The cost of this might be that in spite of your megalomaniacal aspirations you have to tone down your absolutism and concede some power to courts and parliament.