PDA

View Full Version : Unit Limit : Compaign

brymht
04-28-2008, 19:47
One thing you can do in EB2 K is to allow only so many of a certain type of unit. I'm really looking forward to this option. Therefore, a player will simply not be allowed to spam Agyaspides, in that they can have only one unit of them.

Will this be used?

brymht
04-28-2008, 21:24
Truly, my spelling ability is astounding.....

bovi
04-28-2008, 21:28
I think we'll rather use the replenishment numbers to limit the amount of certain units; levy troops will replenish quickly while elite ones will be available a lot more rarely. Hard limits on a given unit won't make much sense, after all if a kingdom has one province it will be able to support less of an elite than if it has vast tracts of land and manpower.

brymht
04-28-2008, 21:35
I think it would make a lot of sense, especially for regional units.

Scordisci Infantry, Spartan hoplites, Praetorian Guard, etc. Especially for the exceptionally rare regional unit.

Foot
04-28-2008, 23:15
It is far too early to tell. In vanilla I can see it being used as a gameplay device - who can get that powerful unit first - but in EB it would be used as a balancing device. If we can achieve a more realistic result through respawn rates then we will go for that, rather than artificially limiting it.

Foot

brymht
04-29-2008, 02:15
Hmm. Could it be possible to increase the total maximum number by, say the population of the territory which they originate from?

For instance, if Sparta is a tiny town, it may support 1 hoplite unite, when it becomes a massive metropolis, it may support 8?

OF course, this leads intothings that would be far mroe difficult in dev. Perhaps respawn is far better after all. :)

Foot
04-29-2008, 10:32
Again, as I said, if we can achieve the same result with fewer pieces of code I will be happier.

Foot

Lysimachos
04-29-2008, 10:59
One thing you can do in EB2 K is to allow only so many of a certain type of unit.

Never realised it has this option... How is this used in Vanilla?

Cartaphilus
04-29-2008, 11:49
That would be a great advance.

I am tired to fight Argyraspides and company turn after turn. That is no realistic (when the hell have the romans had a Legio composed only by triarii?).

(excuse my poor english, I'm a barbarian from the Islands)

brymht
04-29-2008, 17:32
The unit limit is used primarily in the Crusades campign, i believe. You can only have 1 unit of a few of the unit types; such as Templar GRandmaster, and the Hostpitlar badasses with the two handed swords.

Belisarius12
04-29-2008, 18:03
it is still a game if you are going to restrict units it won't be as great to play it is still a game fine that it is historical accurate but that's why i downloaded it but you d'ont have to aexagerate

eggthief
04-30-2008, 01:02
Why not do the same as DLV? With the unit_index, basicly all your settlements combined have a certain number for your faction depending on their type and size and then a unit like heavy cav for example will count for 2 points while a unit of light inf will count as 1 and u cant cross the the number from your settlements.

Krusader
04-30-2008, 12:02
We don't know yet how we will exactly use the limitation/replenishment system, but I can assure you no unit will be only limited to solely one unit.

However, elite units will most certainly have a low replenishment rate and if we can limit units to say 6-10 or something, maybe a few units will be limited that way, like Sacred Band units or Basilikon Agema.

But nothing has been decided yet, remember that.

Belisarius12
04-30-2008, 14:46
i now there will be always people complaining but can you putt it in a separate folder just for the ones that don't wan't it please

Foot
04-30-2008, 15:07
If we make a choice on how to use a certain mechanic from MTW2, we won't be making alternative version for people who don't want. That takes time, and we already spend enough of our time on the mod.

Foot

brymht
04-30-2008, 16:13
I agree. We will all love whatever mod you guys put out, and I don't think anyone was criticizing. Thanks again for all your unappreciated hard work.

:yes:

Rovert
05-02-2008, 23:28
Why not do the same as DLV? With the unit_index, basicly all your settlements combined have a certain number for your faction depending on their type and size and then a unit like heavy cav for example will count for 2 points while a unit of light inf will count as 1 and u cant cross the the number from your settlements.

Please Do Nothing Like DLV and there 5 min Turns

Patriote
05-05-2008, 03:23
I can't remember, its been such a long time since I've played M2TW but... does retraining a unit use one of this unit pool point or no ?

Anyone know ? :yes: because then it would make proper fighting and unit preservation even more important and not just "industrialized troops spamming" as it is right now in all TW games when empires get bigger :wall:

Anyways, keep up the good work guys :clown:

Leviathan DarklyCute
05-05-2008, 11:27
Correct me if I wrong, but EB1 use 430 unit slots out of the 500, right?

Krusader
05-05-2008, 13:14
Correct me if I wrong, but EB1 use 430 unit slots out of the 500, right?

Yup.

Plus in EB2 some units will be removed. Mostly due to that we can use the upgrade feature for some units, like Liby-Phoenician infantry and Thureophoroi -> Thorakitai.

Irishmafia2020
05-05-2008, 17:28
I think that the elite units should just be kept on a lower replenishment frequency. I mean, you might be able to train two militia hoplites a year, but to equip the Companion cavalry unit might take five years (20 turns!) and a general might only be available every ten years. I am more interested in if culture affects the units that are available (like in Kingdoms Britian campaign). Also, will princesses be available? I loved being able to marry a hired general into my family... Frankly, money and replenishment rate should be plenty of a limitation on the ability of each faction to recruit units. If agrypasides are only available every four years, then it would take decades to create an all agrypiside army - plus they would be expensive to maintain and retrain. Most armies would only have 3-4 units of elites in them anyway, but they would make brutal work of the spam/cannon fodder that quickly replenishes itself (realistic in that sense). I am curious though, given the division between castles/towns, will we be able to specialize our cities for military functions? I know that medieval castles did not exist, but if they were renamed as fortresses, or military settlements, then we would still be able to use them, and modify the nature of our cities to reflect the regional needs...