PDA

View Full Version : Fortified defending position

vasilisguru
05-04-2008, 19:52
I wish I could make my own defending fortifications that compatible with the modern warfare. Like having the option to deploy ditches and stakes or sand sacks in a strategic point on the map in my territory. I remember an option in RTW where you could wave a look at a settlement with no meaning at all. Imagine something like that with an ability to deploy some features or destroy a bridge for example.
Anyone finds this idea exiting? :idea2:

Ibn-Khaldun
05-04-2008, 19:59
I think this is good idea ..
In M2TW you can deploy stakes when using archers .. so deployng sand sacks or something like that wouldn't be that much diffrent .. altough I do not think that they used those options that much in 18th century .. perhaps I'm wrong :embarassed:

vasilisguru
05-04-2008, 20:36
I think this is good idea ..
altough I do not think that they used those options that much in 18th century .. perhaps I'm wrong :embarassed:
Im not 100% sure, I have seen films and they did

Lord Winter
05-05-2008, 01:12
Trenches were vital in Seige warfare as for in the field? You had a few instances but mostly it was out in the open with each unit firing untill the other broke.

Matt_Lane
05-05-2008, 07:58
I don't see trenches as applicable for general battles but I would love to see them as part of the preparations for a siege. Where as MTW2 gives you the option to build towers, ladders and rams I'd like ETW to ask you to build ladders, earthworks and trenches. When you come to battle these should give cover to your cannons and provide staging areas for your assault parties.

For the defenders I'd like to see defense upgrades available such as blockhouses, redans, bastions,counter scarps, redoubts and star forts. With ETW locating more features outside of walled settlements smaller fortifications such as blockhouses and redoubts will hopefully be available to defend them.

RLucid
05-06-2008, 10:55
Reading accounts of Marlborough's battles, whilst some were battles of "opportunity" where both armies encountered each other. In general one side "offered battle" at a particular position, and indeed these were strengthened by defensive works. The allied forces would move forwards with fascines (wood bundles) to fill in ditches and such, and their pioneers would have picks to tear at defenses, to reduce them.

A game excluding features is giving a slanted impression.

Flying Pig
06-10-2008, 17:16
I'd love to build a zariba on a hill, post my redcoats and open fire on the foe... but that needs fortifications. Just simple ones, but if an army can build a seige tower, thay can build the field fortification from American Conquest - Divided Nation. Or am I the only one with that?

Martok
06-10-2008, 18:29
Well I'm certainly all for armies being able to build field fortifications, but the real question is whether CA's included anything like that. If they haven't by now, then it's almost certainly too late to do so.

TigerVX
06-12-2008, 00:20
I'd love to see the ability to "Dig In" implemented in Empires, it was used during the day, just look at the Battle of New Orleans, and redoubts were used frequently such as in the Battle of Borodino.

The_Reckoning
06-12-2008, 13:09
If they haven't by now, then it's almost certainly too late to do so.

Unfortunately true.

However, if they have left in the archer deploy-stakes code, or have a similar siege-weapon building code, maybe they could be modded in?

Salazar
07-14-2008, 14:28
If you look at their new FAQ (http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2008/07/14/empire-total-war-faq-5/) you'll see that they have included field fortifications, and more general awesomness.

The_Reckoning
07-23-2008, 01:19
This game seems like it will really exceed expectations.

I hope.

Didz
07-23-2008, 10:30
As a rule troops of this era were not equipped to construct field fortifications. However, if given time and the site of the battlefield was know in advance they could be issued with spades etc. and required to construct breastworks and redoubts etc. The Battle of Borodino is probably a good example where the Russian's had put a lot of effort into preparing the gorund before the arrival of the French.

This would suggest something more closely akin to the 'Build Fort' option on the strategic map. Perhaps, awarding a fortification point everytime its clicked which can then be spent during deployment on various fieldworks, a bit like the construction system for seige engines.

Didz
07-23-2008, 10:30
As a rule troops of this era were not equipped to construct field fortifications. However, if given time and the site of the battlefield was known in advance they could be issued with spades etc. and required to construct breastworks and redoubts. The Battle of Borodino is probably a good example where the Russian's had put a lot of effort into preparing the gorund before the arrival of the French.

This would suggest something more closely akin to the 'Build Fort' option on the strategic map. Perhaps, awarding a fortification point everytime its clicked which can then be spent during deployment on various fieldworks, a bit like the construction system for seige engines.