PDA

View Full Version : Idea : Unit Composition changing

brymht
05-05-2008, 16:20
I very much suspect that this is impossible due to hard coding, but really you EB folks habitually perform feats we were impossible and they turn out flawlessly.

Historically, many Romani units, especially the Legions but also the Auxilia to a certain extent, were created in one area. It might then be stationed in another, and the composition and fighting style of the unit might change.

For instance, an infantry unit which might have originated from Italia and stationed along the Dacian Borer would see its unit composition gradually change to look more like the native Thracians over time. This might also apply to Gaul, Germania, and the east.

Will units from certain areas look a bit different than the same unit from a different area? Could this be scripted to change over time?

Suspect this is impossible due to code restraints, but I don't know Med 2 total war code at all, only RTW.

Mithridates VI Eupator
05-05-2008, 17:05
I don't know for sure, but I think that this is hardcoded. However, there were already in EB1 some regional auxilliaries for the romans, that were roman-ish, but still with typical local traits, such as weaponry and armour. Maybe some additional units of this type would do the trick?

blacksnail
05-05-2008, 21:48
Specific stacks of units altering over time is an awesome idea, but I suspect it's hardcoded to prevent that. Which is a shame, as that is an awesome idea.

Megalos
05-05-2008, 23:51
I very much suspect that this is impossible due to hard coding, but really you EB folks habitually perform feats we were impossible and they turn out flawlessly.

Historically, many Romani units, especially the Legions but also the Auxilia to a certain extent, were created in one area. It might then be stationed in another, and the composition and fighting style of the unit might change.

For instance, an infantry unit which might have originated from Italia and stationed along the Dacian Borer would see its unit composition gradually change to look more like the native Thracians over time. This might also apply to Gaul, Germania, and the east.

Will units from certain areas look a bit different than the same unit from a different area? Could this be scripted to change over time?

Suspect this is impossible due to code restraints, but I don't know Med 2 total war code at all, only RTW.

It's possible to have the same unit in a faction change it's skin dpending which region it is stationed in, but with a serious lack of skinners and modellers this won't be happening anytime in the next ten years. :)

Intrepid Adventurer
05-06-2008, 11:17
If the only problem is skinning and modelling you ought to do well. I would think the game engine is your biggest problem, neh?

Slim_Ghost
05-13-2008, 01:27
I really would like to see my Germanic noble swordsmen ditch their furcoats when they are traveling in the Saharan deserts.