PDA

View Full Version : About settlements

Anonymous II
05-11-2008, 01:13
Will there be any "rebel" settlements (or similar) like in M2TW, or will all settlements be owned by a faction? I'm mainly thinking about Europe here.

I hope there will be some rebel settlements, because it's not so funny starting up a game where one can't expand without declaring war on some other multi-province faction.

Csargo
05-11-2008, 03:31
I don't believe this has been said as of yet. It could be the same as M2TW or be made up of small kingdoms like in Germany at the time.

PBI
05-11-2008, 11:07
I would have thought there will be relatively few rebel provinces in Europe, such that expansion in Europe will always be a difficult undertaking; thus to expand quickly, you will have to look overseas.

PS Yay post number 200!

Anonymous II
05-12-2008, 00:42
I would have thought there will be relatively few rebel provinces in Europe, such that expansion in Europe will always be a difficult undertaking; thus to expand quickly, you will have to look overseas.

Yes, but since the number of provinces will be higher than in M2TW (I believe this has been said), this will be rather "unfair" to landlocked countries. This due to the fact that there will be no immediate access to coastal provinces.

Countries like Austria for example, became big during this period, and it would have been nice to be able to expand "according to history" without declaring war on another faction. Areas like Lombardia, Dalmatia, Hungary, etc. shouldn't be a part of Austria from the start, but rather rebel settlements that are likely to be reached by Austria first.

I don't think the game would be so much fun if you have to pick typical colonizers like England/United Kingdom, Spain, France or Portugal in order to be able to expand without engaging in a European "great war".

That's my opinion anyways... ~:cheers:

Csargo
05-12-2008, 02:03
Yes, but since the number of provinces will be higher than in M2TW (I believe this has been said), this will be rather "unfair" to landlocked countries. This due to the fact that there will be no immediate access to coastal provinces.

Countries like Austria for example, became big during this period, and it would have been nice to be able to expand "according to history" without declaring war on another faction. Areas like Lombardia, Dalmatia, Hungary, etc. shouldn't be a part of Austria from the start, but rather rebel settlements that are likely to be reached by Austria first.

I don't think the game would be so much fun if you have to pick typical colonizers like England/United Kingdom, Spain, France or Portugal in order to be able to expand without engaging in a European "great war".

That's my opinion anyways... ~:cheers:

I believe that is correct. Like I said I don't believe CA has said any specifics about this, but I'm assuming that they'll include small kingdoms as well. Not having access to the coast just makes the game more difficult and challenging, which most people enjoy.

Usually TW games aren't exactly historically accurate. They'll probably add diplomatic options to possibly diplo-annex countries, but that's just what I think CA may do. Anything that hasn't been confirmed by CA is just speculation at this point. I can't say I agree with you there. Maybe giving minor nations a downgraded status, so that most of the Great Powers do not look at this as a great threat to their country. Except for those in the immediate area(ex:Like you said with Austria taking over Hungaria would make the Ottoman Empire wary of you).

I agree with you there. I'm looking forward to playing Prussia, which at this time has nothing in the way of a navy for colonial expansions. I plan on changing that :beam:

Hopefully this is helpful.

pevergreen
05-12-2008, 02:40
Agreed. I think there will be a few rebel provinces, at least 1 for each faction.

Lord Winter
05-13-2008, 04:08

Austria already had reached its major power stautus right before the game (or right as the game), starts hungry had been a part of austria for many years. Not to say there isn't room for some rebels in the HRE, but it was preaty much major power vs major power with smaller power allies durring this time.

Anonymous II
05-13-2008, 18:43
Austria already had reached its major power stautus right before the game (or right as the game), starts hungry had been a part of austria for many years.

Yes, I know my history, no worries. :cool4:

But, as mentioned above by Ichigo, TW games aren't the most histrical games out there (I'm a paradox-gaming veteran, and that is something completely different), and I thought it might be a good Idea to let Austrian players be able to take some rebel provinces, and not only let colonizing powers be able to do that.

:ballchain:

Since the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648, the concept of a nation state was well consolidated, and there weren't any city that could be called "rebel" anyways... It would have been wrong to just put some rebel cities only in HRE-area, which was made up of hundreds of tiny states at the time.

My point is, that CA could well make some of the less central/important cities within an empire start out as rebel cities. And also hardcode that "this and that" AI-player would want to take "this and that" settlement. This to make sure of a "natural" development of the nationstates, but to also give the player a challenge in racing the AI to snatch some cities before their eyes.

Areas like Poland, Transylvania, Balkans, and similar border-regions could well be neutral areas from the beginning.

~:wacko:

Rhyfelwyr
05-13-2008, 20:47
I certainly hope Poland isn't just a border area, Poland-Lithuania is a worthy faction in the ETW-area.

I expect the Italian city states will be represented by Rebels. As will most of the German states. Although with a 50 faction limit hopefully some like Bavaria and Saxony will join Prussia and Austria to compete for dominance.

seireikhaan
05-15-2008, 04:03
One thing I'm a bit curious about...

How are overseas territories going to be represented from a European point of view? For example, France claimed half of North America, even though they barely controlled 1% of it. Essentially, America bought land that was 'owned' by the French, but in reality was 'owned' by Native Americans. But if the natives are going to be a faction, than how exactly is the territory going to be 'dual owned', if you will?

pevergreen
05-15-2008, 10:48
Aaggghhh this is why I'm glad I dont have to figure it out.

I think I'm content to sit and wait to see what they bring up.