PDA

View Full Version : Blade runner.

InsaneApache
05-16-2008, 23:58
Double-amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius has won an appeal to compete for a place in the Beijing Olympics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7243481.stm

Yes!

They should let him play with all the drug cheats, that might show the buggers. Go man, go.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-17-2008, 00:14
It will make for a nice story, but come on. The man is running on huge springs that never get tired. What's next, letting someone compete on a moped?

The original decision was the correct one, IMO.

Crazed Rabbit
05-17-2008, 00:46
Heh, I think he still has to qualify and isn't even slated to go yet. I agree with BKS on the decision, though.

CR

Adrian II
05-17-2008, 10:37
Shoe manufacturers will be having wet dreams if this contraption is ever admitted. Think of the possibilities.

So yeah, I agree with BKS. Of course if you consider the 'medical regime' of so-called regular athletes there is no big difference, but they too are disqualified when caught.

Craterus
05-17-2008, 12:07
It will make for a nice story, but come on. The man is running on huge springs that never get tired. What's next, letting someone compete on a moped?

The original decision was the correct one, IMO.

Surely that just puts more of the strain on his thighs. Having no legs is hardly an advantage in a sprint competition.

InsaneApache
05-17-2008, 12:34
Having no legs is hardly an advantage in a sprint competition.

:laugh4: Talk about an oxymoron. :2thumbsup: Someone's gotta siggy that. :laugh4:

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-17-2008, 12:58
Surely that just puts more of the strain on his thighs. Having no legs is hardly an advantage in a sprint competition.

Have you ever run a 400 metre race? Your calves feel like lead during the final 100. That won't be a problem for this fellow. In fact, I believe his second split time is actually better than his first split, which shows you what's going on.

For all we know he'd be slower if he was running with actual legs.

Crazed Rabbit
05-17-2008, 16:02
He's on springs, for crying out loud, a flexible piece of metal does the job his calf muscles would otherwise do. Tis not like running on peg legs or anything.

CR

Sasaki Kojiro
05-17-2008, 16:14
Seems certain he won't qualify:

Pistorius is hoping to make the Olympic 'A' standard time of 45.55 seconds for the 400m or the 'B' qualifier of 45.95 if no other athlete from his country attains the higher one.

His best time over the distance in 2007 was 46.56 and his personal best is 46.46.

They do have a para-olympics for handicapped people (which he competed in in 2004).

I think it's silly personally

Pistorius added: "My focus throughout this appeal has been to ensure that disabled athletes be given the chance to compete and compete fairly with able-bodied athletes.

Because this is baloney. He's on some quest to prove the abilities of disabled athletes when the running legs are really only good for track running. There was a one legged guy on american gladiators and he had a lot of trouble with the obstacle course. They had to stop the treadmill on the travelator (final obstacle) and then when he finished they were going on about what an inspiration he was and how he proved you can do anything. It was kind of sad and mean I thought.

Adrian II
05-17-2008, 16:31
They had to stop the treadmill on the travelator (final obstacle) and then when he finished they were going on about what an inspiration he was and how he proved you can do anything. It was kind of sad and mean I thought.It's the same with that disabled guy who in 1998 heroically 'climbed' Mount Everest - only with the help of four sherpas, and only after he had been rescued from pulmonary edema-induced death by a team of able climbers.

Offen such efforts are admirable, but the ensuing claims are pathetic.

Craterus
05-17-2008, 16:48
:laugh4: Talk about an oxymoron. :2thumbsup: Someone's gotta siggy that. :laugh4:

I'd be honoured ~;)

Have you ever run a 400 metre race? Your legs calves feel like like during the final 100. That won't be a problem for this fellow. In fact, I believe his second split time is actually better than his first split, which shows you what's going on.

For all we know he'd be slower if he was running with actual legs.

Of course. But I actually used to run 1500m.

My post was kind of ironic. I'm actually entirely indifferent on this issue.

Rhyfelwyr
05-17-2008, 16:59
Seems very silly to me.

The only reason it does not blatantly break the rules is that it is so absurd nobody ever thought to make a rule against it.

Are there rules against jetpacks? I reckon I could have a go in Beijing...

Tribesman
05-17-2008, 18:52
OK a simple post to show the claims of Pisto to be bollox .
He claims he should be eligable despite the scientific studies showing that he uses 25% less energy using his springs as a normal athlete uses to achieve the same speeds .
Lets take it to another paralympian who wanted to get to the Olympics . A British swimmer (and a bloody good one) with only one lower leg missing rather than Pistos two , now I am sure you know that in swimming a foot is not as important as it is in running .
Now this fella had good times , damn good times , he was really in with a chance . He didn't make the cut off (sorry Gregoshi) though in the trials .
If however he was allowed to put a flipper on his stump he would have been faster(OK a straight line in the final sprint would have been hard to maintain and he would have ended up screwing his arm stroke on the ropes) , but if it was fair for him to use a flipper then it would have been fair for everyone else to use them too .
So in this case in hand , if Pisto is allowed to use springs that reduce his effort by 25% then other athletes must also be allowed to use them ...which means his times will be way out of the qualifying pocket if everyone uses them .(though he might have a small advantage in reducesd wind reistance as there is a bit of him that has negligable resistance)

Devastatin Dave
05-20-2008, 04:19
OK a simple post to show the claims of Pisto to be bollox .
He claims he should be eligable despite the scientific studies showing that he uses 25% less energy using his springs as a normal athlete uses to achieve the same speeds .
Lets take it to another paralympian who wanted to get to the Olympics . A British swimmer (and a bloody good one) with only one lower leg missing rather than Pistos two , now I am sure you know that in swimming a foot is not as important as it is in running .
Now this fella had good times , damn good times , he was really in with a chance . He didn't make the cut off (sorry Gregoshi) though in the trials .
If however he was allowed to put a flipper on his stump he would have been faster(OK a straight line in the final sprint would have been hard to maintain and he would have ended up screwing his arm stroke on the ropes) , but if it was fair for him to use a flipper then it would have been fair for everyone else to use them too .
So in this case in hand , if Pisto is allowed to use springs that reduce his effort by 25% then other athletes must also be allowed to use them ...which means his times will be way out of the qualifying pocket if everyone uses them .(though he might have a small advantage in reducesd wind reistance as there is a bit of him that has negligable resistance)
He should try out for the swim team and have a torpedo propeller installed out of his anus. :yes:

Vladimir
05-20-2008, 14:06
He should try out for the swim team and have a torpedo propeller installed out of his anus. :yes:

He's back! :jumping:

Adrian II
05-20-2008, 14:31
Yeah - but within the rules, the anal propellor would have to be manually operated.. https://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8717/puzzledfd8.gif (https://imageshack.us)

atheotes
05-20-2008, 16:54
Yeah - but within the rules, the anal propellor would have to be manually operated.. https://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8717/puzzledfd8.gif (https://imageshack.us)
:laugh4:

Have lost interest in Athletics after the myriad of doping cases... so really dont care...

Alexander the Pretty Good
05-21-2008, 04:59
I used to play bass for Anal Propellor.