PDA

View Full Version : Dread/Chivalry

Klearchos
05-17-2008, 18:23
Hail

In M:TW2 only the Kings and Emperors have "Influence" if I remember correct. The rest of the generals have this "chivalry/dread" meter. You plan to keep it this way in EB II or change it, EB I style? In Ancient times the concept of chivalry was a bit rear to find to someone...

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Irishmafia2020
05-17-2008, 20:40
Dread seems universal enough, but maybe Chivalry could be changed to education or popularity or something....

TheOmegaWalrus
05-18-2008, 00:38
Just call it "honor".

Problem solved.

Irishmafia2020
05-18-2008, 04:50
Just call it "honor".

Problem solved.

Seconded... Honor vs Dread...

lobf
05-18-2008, 05:47
Honor seems too vague to me. Influence is fairly definite. I mean, you can draw distinctions in amount of influence between two people, but not to much honor. Who's to say Caesar was more honorable than me?

Irishmafia2020
05-18-2008, 06:40
Well honor vs dread represent different types of influence I suppose. Dread rules through fear, and Law and order are increased, whereas "honor" rules through love/loyalty and public order is increased through happiness... These are traits that affect the ability of a general to govern, and also these traits have morale effects on the battlefield... I admit that the definition of "honor" is vague...

The General
05-18-2008, 08:05
Honor seems too vague to me. Influence is fairly definite. I mean, you can draw distinctions in amount of influence between two people, but not to much honor. Who's to say Caesar was more honorable than me?
Why couldn't a dreadful person also have a lot of influence?

Honour would seem okay-ish imho.

ziegenpeter
05-18-2008, 08:45
Please don't use this system for EBII. A ruler has to use both, dread and love.

The Celtic Viking
05-19-2008, 14:09
Please don't use this system for EBII. A ruler has to use both, dread and love.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Have you ever seen "Platoon"? Awesome movie. I love it. Anyway, there's these two characters in it, Sgt. Elias and Sgt. Barnes. If you have seen the movie, look at at them to see the difference, where Elias would obviously be on the "honour-scale" (I don't think that's a good name for it, though) while Barnes would be on the dread side. If you haven't seen it, go see it now. But to put it more simply for you, see it as "strongman" vs "win hearts and minds".

That's not to say that someone on the "win-hearts-and-minds" side would never try to use fear, or that someone on the "strongman" side wouldn't care what people thought of him. It's just which method they believe most in, which method they prefer. And how well they pull it off.

I Am Herenow
05-19-2008, 17:40
Dread all the way! Oderint dum metuant and all, eh?