PDA

View Full Version : EB2 Armor

brymht
05-19-2008, 20:48
One of the things I love about MTW2 is the dynamic look of armor and how different units can look once thier lord has psrung for a bit of chainmail.

OUtside of the outlandish colors, how is this going to be different in EB2? Will different smithies in different areas be able to upgrade different units in different looking armor?

I honestly hope you are not going to try and depict ALL ancient armor reqalistcally, as while this would be awesome, this would take years.

Just curious.

Foot
05-19-2008, 21:15
We probably won't include armour upgrades. A firm decision hasn't been made yet, but the hardcoded armour bonus makes it difficult to implement while maintaining balance in the stats.

Furthermore, even if we did implement it, it certainly wouldn't be done in the way that MTW2 does it. In most cases a faction did not equip its armies with any regular consistency so the idea of "their lord [springing] for a bit of chainmail" is not accurate for this timeline. If it were to be used it would represent the slow increase of certain types of armouring techniques in certain areas over a timeperiod. If one area or faction historically went from using no metal armour to a more predominant use of metal armour in our timeperiod for reasons that we could replicate in EBII then we would use armour upgrades for that purpose.

However the fixed bonus makes this very difficult.

Foot

brymht
05-19-2008, 23:26
Ouch. Did not realize the armor bonus was hardcoded. It was always a bit weak, honestly. Very sorry to hear that.

Mithridates VI Eupator
05-20-2008, 11:17
I see, so there will be no blacksmith-ish thing at all?
But after all, when you think of it, it is actually somewhat strange that you, as a ruler, buy better equipment for your men, when, in reality, most ancient warriors had to supply their gear themselves.
Will weapon upgrades, and such, also be removed then?

blacksnail
05-21-2008, 20:48
We're still looking at that, so we can't give a definite answer. We should know more after we hit an internal milestone.