PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Mixed Units?

brymht
05-21-2008, 21:25
Historically, Barbarian armies didn't simply consist of units of "axemen" and units of "swordsmen" and units of "heavily armored swordsmen". They were a bit of a mixed bag, typically.

Will EB 2 attempt to hold barbarian factions to this, at least at the warband level, or will be still be seeing units of identically armed and armoed infantry/ cavalry for barbarian factions?

blacksnail
05-21-2008, 21:29
In general, due to hardcoding, we cannot mix the weapons within a single unit.

brymht
05-21-2008, 21:43
Ah well. At least the units are going to be prettier :)

Blacksnail, do you anwer ALL questions from annoying fans in this section?

blacksnail
05-21-2008, 21:49
I don't answer annoying fans. ~:)

MidevalLoRd
05-21-2008, 22:27
In general, due to hardcoding, we cannot mix the weapons within a single unit.

well, hardcoding doesnt let you have a spear unit along with a swordsmen unit, But, i am pretty sure you can multiple swords skins in the same unit, just how there are different coat of arms in m2tw.

Tellos Athenaios
05-21-2008, 23:14
The problem is a bit beyond the immediately obvious. You see if you can get the engine to show different weapons, the question arises: can you have the engine use different stats per soldier based on what weapon and other equipment this particular soldier carries? (AFAIK: no.) Can you have the engine use different animation for a soldier with an axe from a soldier with a sword within the same unit? (Again: AFAIK: no.)

While the statting issue might eventually be considered a trade-off; the animation problem is much more serious as it'll make for quirky and jarring glitches on the battlefield (the axehead never being used, for instance).

blacksnail
05-21-2008, 23:15
As far as I know that is correct - skins are unaffected, but weapons that use different models (such as spear, sword, short sword, etc) cannot be mixed.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-22-2008, 01:29
Since different weapons had different tasks on the battlefield, even a "barbarian" general would probably separate them out so that they could be better exploited for the given task...

Foot
05-22-2008, 01:39
Since different weapons had different tasks on the battlefield, even a "barbarian" general would probably separate them out so that they could be better exploited for the given task...

Are you sure. Hollywood have always taught me that Barbarians were immensely stupid, especially when it came to battlefield tactics. Because of this I find it hard to believe that Barbarians would organise their men into formations that would best maximise the strengths of a particular weapon and also minimise the weaknesses of said weapon. Didn't they just charge at the enemy in the hope that the enemy might pity them for their stupidity. Please don't tell me that Hollywood lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious3:

Foot

Detritus
05-22-2008, 06:46
Hello, I'm a first time poster, long time lurker.

What I want to know is if there are plans for factions to have seperate "levy" units of spear and non-spear infantry. Would there be non spear-weaponry given to non-missle levies? And I mean as a faction unit, not a local one. Because it always seemed that with swords and daggers (of whatever quality) would be too exprensive to equip cheap infantry, so would there be mixed units of 1-handed axes and clubs (the ones with seperate heads).

I know, I know, it's pretty much word salad, but it's a first post, and I want to know if the lowest non-spear inf. will still have pitchforks (I know peasants are out) or be used as cheap high damage inf. with felling axes and the like.

MidevalLoRd
05-24-2008, 01:53
The problem is a bit beyond the immediately obvious. You see if you can get the engine to show different weapons, the question arises: can you have the engine use different stats per soldier based on what weapon and other equipment this particular soldier carries? (AFAIK: no.) Can you have the engine use different animation for a soldier with an axe from a soldier with a sword within the same unit? (Again: AFAIK: no.)

While the statting issue might eventually be considered a trade-off; the animation problem is much more serious as it'll make for quirky and jarring glitches on the battlefield (the axehead never being used, for instance).

I agree with that, but I don't think you understand what I am saying. Imagine a group of the "Swordsmen" from RTW on a MTW2 engine. Now all the individual solders in the unit have the same weapon TYPE, like longswords, but different looking longswords. there would be no axemen or spear-men in that unit, just swordsmen with differnt looking, but same animated motioned, longswords. I have am not saying there should be a axemen and swordsman, along with a spear men in one group.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-24-2008, 22:38
Having different looking weapons from the same type of weapon seems like something that will be done as long is it is within the ability of the model/skin variation of the engine.

Aodhan
05-28-2008, 06:17
Are you sure. Hollywood have always taught me that Barbarians were immensely stupid, especially when it came to battlefield tactics. Because of this I find it hard to believe that Barbarians would organise their men into formations that would best maximise the strengths of a particular weapon and also minimise the weaknesses of said weapon. Didn't they just charge at the enemy in the hope that the enemy might pity them for their stupidity. Please don't tell me that Hollywood lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious3:

Foot

I agree, I’ve noticed that about Hollywood to, and being a "Barbarian" I am waiting the movie version of “Terry Jones’ Barbarians.”