PDA

View Full Version : LotR - Order of St. John

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 14:47
OOC: This is an IC thread for members of the Order of St. John. IC letters from other nobles are allowed. But please keep requests to join the Order out of this thread. Any request to join can be sent to the Grandmaster in the form of an IC PM.

Order of St. John

https://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9950/orderap2.png

You walk through the doors and see a great hall. While alcohol is absent, a good meal and good company can always be found. The Order has it's headquarters in Antioch and a chamber in the Senate building in Constantinople. The Order's Charter is framed and on a wall in the dining hall. A small chapel is off to your right and a library is off to your left. Feel at peace Brother, for you are among friends now.

The Order of St. John

I.) Purpose: The Order of St. John is named in honor of Saint John Chrysostom. We exist to protect the Holy Land and to spread the Orthodox Faith.

II.) Membership: The Order will consist of sergeants and knights.

-A.) Any man who agrees to follow the rules can join the Order as a sergeant by swearing to a member of the Order's feudal chain.

-B.) To be a full knight, a sergeant must be single, possess at least 2 chivalry, at least 3 piety, no female retinue, at least one province, and must be accepted by at least 2/3 of the current knights of the Order. Once a knight, the man will be addressed as Brother. For the purposes of the rules, knight and Brother are used interchangeably.

-C.) If at anytime a knight fails to meet one of these requirements, their status may change depending on what requirement has been violated.

--1.) If a knight loses a province due to it being conquered, the Brotherhood must do what it can to get that person a province. Excess provinces can be given to satisfy the requirement. New conquests can be authorized if excess provinces are not available. During this process, the person remains a knight and can keep the position of Grandmaster or Marshall.

--2.) If the knight drops below 2 chivalry or 3 piety, he has 10 turns to rectify the situation. If he does not raise his stats to the required amount within 10 turns from the date of his violation, then the person drops in standing to a sergeant and loses the position of Grandmaster or Marshall. Once the sergeant gets his stats to the required amount, he is automatically brought back to the status of knight. This rule does not apply if the reason for the stat drop is illness.

--3.) If a knight gains retinue that are not in keeping with the Order's values, they must remove that retinue immediately or they will be demoted to sergeant and lose the position of Grandmaster or Marshall. Once the retinue in question is gone, the man is automatically brought back to the status of knight.

--4.) If a knight ever gets married, they permanently drop back to sergeant and lose the position of Grandmaster or Marshall.

--5.) If a member of the Order ever becomes Caesar, they are immediately demoted to sergeant and must give their provinces and relics to members of the Order. They will also lose their position as Grandmaster or Marshall.

--6.) If a member loses their position of Grandmaster or Marshall, a new one must immediately be chosen.

-D.) Breaking from the Order's feudal chain, without immediatly reswearing to another Order member, will result in automatic expulsion from the Order.

III.) Voting:

-A.) Changes in the feudal structure and in the Charter can happen at any time as long as there is no dissent from among the Brothers.

-B.) If there is dissent, there will be a vote among the Brothers at any time, but no less than 1 "turn" before the Senate goes into session.

-C.) In voting, one Brother will equal one vote.

-D.) Changes in the feudal structure of the Order, as well as it's Charter can be changed with a vote from 2/3rds of the Brothers.

-E.) The decision of this vote will be binding on all including the Grandmaster.

-F.) A vote made be made without a Knight if they have been inactive for 48 hours. (OOC: "inactive" means not on the board for 48 hours or, if the person uses invisible mode, no posts for 48 hours.)

IV.) Grandmaster:

-A.) The Grandmaster will be at the top of the feudal structure of the Order. When the Grandmaster changes, the feudal structure will reorder itself to place him at the top.

-B.) He will be chosen from amongst the other knights by either unanimous consent or a 2/3 vote to reorder the feudal structure.

-C.) When captured, Jerusalem will be the province of the Grandmaster and must be transferred to the new Grandmaster if the title changes hands.

-D.) When relics are acquired, the Grandmaster gets first pick from among the relics possessed by members of the Order. When the title changes hands, the new Grandmaster will then get first choice from among the relics.

-E.) Upon the Grandmaster's demotion, death, or retirement, a new one will be chosen immediately from amongst the knights.

V.) Marshall:

-A.) The Marshall is expected to be the Grandmaster's second in command and shall swear directly to the Grandmaster. When the Marshall changes, the feudal structure will reorder itself to place him as second in the chain.

-B.) He will be chosen by the Grandmaster from amongst the other knights. This can not be contested by a vote to reorder the feudal structure. If the members wish to contest a the Grandmaster's pick for Marshall, they will have to pick a new Grandmaster.

-C.) The Marshall will have the province of Antioch when it is captured. Antioch will transfer to the new Marshall if the title changes hands.

-D.) When relics are acquired, the Marshall gets second pick from among the relics possessed by members of the Order. When the title changes hands, the new Marshall will then get second choice from among the relics.

-E.) Upon the Marshall's demotion, death, or retirement, a new one will be chosen immediately by the Grandmaster from amongst the knights.

VI.) Rules: Rules are binding upon sergeants and Brothers alike.

-A.) All members of the Order will release all prisoners.

-B.) All members of the Order will occupy all settlements.

-C.) All members of the Order will make sure that the church and Ikoner's studio in their settlement is at the highest level possible before building something else. Wall upgrades are the only exception.

-D.) All members of the Order will attempt to have no tavern line buildings in their settlements. If necessary for public order, only the lowest level of tavern possible is allowed. But if a choice must be made between lowering taxes, and building a tavern, then building a tavern is allowed.

-E.) All members of the Order will expel negative retinue as soon as they appear. This includes the adulteress, outlander adulteress, foreign fruitcake, and pagan magician.

-F.) All members of the Order will ask that the Megas deny all marriage requests for their person. Adoptions and "Man of the Hour" are allowed.

-G.) Territory and relics belonging to Order members is forever the property of the Order.

--1.) Therefore, while a member may leave the Order at any time, he must first give his land and relics back to a member of the Order.

--2.) Property and relics in wills must be left to members of the Order.

--3.) At no time may an Order member give his provinces or relics to a non-Order member.

--4.) The only exception allowed is if a member of the Order leaves the 1 province and 1 relic minimum to someone that they know will join the Order. (OOC: This means the player can give 1 province and 1 relic to their next avatar if that avatar is going to immediately join the Order once the player switches over.)

-H.) Thieve Guilds and Assassin Guilds are not allowed within the territory of the Order. The Megas will be requested to deny any requests of this nature. If the request is accepted, the offending Guild building must be destroyed immediately.

-I.) Members of the Order are expected to behave in an honorable manner.

--1.) No member is to disagree with another member in public.

--2.) A member should expect his edicts and CA's to be seconded by his fellow members.

--3.) Members are not to verbally fight with other senators in the senate.

--4.) If a member is having a problem with a senator, he is to go to the Grandmaster with his concerns so the Grandmaster can talk to the offending senator's lord.

--5.) Members may go to the Hippodrome but must act in a manner that is in keeping with the Order's values. No gambling is allowed.

VII.) Punishment: Failure to follow these rules may result in the demotion or expulsion of the member.

-A.) Punishment will be decided from amongst the Brothers not being considered for punishment. Punishment can come about from a unanimous decision or a 3/4th vote at the normal voting time. A brother in question can not vote regarding his own punishment.

-B.) Demotion will consist of the knight being demoted to a sergeant. The sergeant may be considered to be a full knight again once all of the knights agree.

-C.) Expulsion will consist of the subject's lord breaking fealty with him, as well as the subject's vassals breaking fealty with the subject.

-D.) Anyone who refuses to break fealty with the subject will be expelled as well.

-E.) The expelled subject will be asked to leave the Order's lands and to give back any land to the Order. Land not given back to the Order will be taken back by force.

Grandmasters:

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1081 - 1138
Armatos ek Naksou: 1138 - Present day

Marshalls:

Armatos ek Naksou: 1090 - 1138

Knights:
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos
Armatos ek Naksou
Nathanial ek Korintou
Vartholomaios Ksiros
Vissarionas ek Lesvou
Stavros ek Amarinthou

Sergeants:
Theophylaktos Petzeas

Land:

Nicosia: Castle
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1081 - Present day

Antioch: Large City
Armatos ek Naksou: 1090 - Present day

Aleppo: Wooden Castle
Nathanial ek Korintou: 1102 - Present day

Adana: Wooden Castle
Iakovos Kallipoleos: 1110 - 1126
Vartholomaios Ksiros: 1126 - 1132 and 1137 - Present day
Lost to Turks: 1132 - 1137

Cairo: Large City
Vissarionas ek Lesvou: 1128 - 1129
Lost and then retaken by House Korakas

Thebes: Wooden Castle
Vissarionas ek Lesvou: 1129 - Present day

Tortosa: Castle
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1137 - 1138
Stavros ek Amarinthou: 1138 - Present day

Dongola: Castle

Acre: Castle

Relics:

Iron Crown of Lombardy:
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1128 - Present day

Bridle of Constantine:
Armatos ek Naksou: 1128 - Present day

Feudal structure:

Antypatos Armatos ek Naksou
-Domestikos Makedonios Ksanthopoulos
--Comes Stavros ek Amarinthou
--Strator Theophylaktos Petzeas
-Comes Nathanial ek Korintou
-Domestikios Vartholomaios Ksiros
--Comes Vissarionas ek Lesvou

Honor Roll:
Iakovos Kallipoleos

Retired:
Koulianos Vourzos
Aerovindos ek Samou

ULC
05-30-2008, 15:35
I, Strator Iakovos Kallipoleos, here by swear an oath of fealty to Comes Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, to become his vassal in exchange for his wise lordship.

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 15:40
I accept the oath of fealty and hope that the Lord will give me strength to be worthy of such trust.

Strator Iakovos Kallipoleos, you are hereby a Sergeant of the Order of St. John. Stand and be recoginized!

From letters I have recieved, I believe we will be joined shortly by more comrads.

Come, let us eat in celebration and talk about any questions you may have.

Cecil XIX
05-30-2008, 16:56
Let it be known that Strator Armatos ek Naksou hereby swears fealty to Comes Makedonios Ksanthopoulos.

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 17:00
I hereby accept. You are now a Sergeant of the Order. Stand and be recognized!

Welcome Armatos! It is good to meet you at last after all the letters we exchanged.

BananaBob
05-30-2008, 17:59
I, Stratos Nathanial ek Korintou, hereby pledge my elegance to the Grandmaster Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, in an effort to protect the Holy Lands from the fanatic grasp of Catholic and Muslim alike, and to spread to word of the Orthodox church and the glory of Byzantium.

PrinceofTroy
05-30-2008, 19:50
I, Strator Koulianos Vourzos, pledge my sword and allegiance to Comes Makedonios Ksanthopoulos and the Order of Saint John Chrysostom.

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 19:53
I happily accept both oaths of fealty. Both of you are now Sergeants of the Order of St. John. Stand and be recognized!

With such a group of good and noble warriors, I do not see how we can fail.

Also, all of you should feel free to wear the Coat of Arms of the Order. (OOC: It is in my signature. Just right click on it, copy it's image location, then put it as an "image" in your own signature. Let me know if you have any questions about it.)

ULC
05-30-2008, 20:43
Iakovos makes his way to the library with a mug of coffee in one hand, intent on a relaxing afternoon after having just arrived at Nicosia mere hours ago. He sets his coffee to the side and begins pouring over the books and scrolls pertaining to Outremer, it's history, its people, and it's battles. Iakovos flips another page as he takes a sip from his mug, thoroughly enjoying the quiet, contemplative atmosphere.

Ramses II CP
05-30-2008, 21:24
I, Strator Vissarionas ek Lesvou, hereby declare my fealty to Grandmaster Makedonios Ksanthopoulos and swear my might at arms to the Order of St. John! May God grant us victory where-ever battle calls!

:egypt:

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 21:27
I accept. You are hereby a Sergeant of the Order. Stand and be recognized!

(OOC: Thanks to all of you for writing out your full names so I can just Cut and Paste them into the OP. :beam: )

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 21:40
I should probably also announce a couple of changes to the Charter since some of you have only seen older versions.

Clause II:D has been added.

As has Clause III:C.

In Clause VI:C I have added the Ikoner's Studio.

And keeping the presence of the Hippodrome in mind, I have added Clause VI:I:5.

And finally clause VII has had the process of demotion added to it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

PrinceofTroy
05-31-2008, 01:55
Koulianos steps into the library where he sees Iakovos reading intently. Koulianos takes up a book on Mathematics, deciding not to disrupt his fellow Sergeant.

ULC
05-31-2008, 02:24
Iakovos decides to take a break from reading, rubbing sore eyes, but is surprised when he looks up to see Koulianos. "Oh, Strator, I did not see you. Are you Koulianos Vourzos by chance? I am not acquainted yet with all members of the Order. I am Iakovos ek Kallipoleos, how do you do? I have not disturbed you, have I?"

PrinceofTroy
05-31-2008, 02:37
"No, not at all, I don't even like math!"Koulianos throws the book aside."I have heard of you before Strator"He studies what Iakovos is reading"Have you ever been to the Holy Land?"

ULC
05-31-2008, 02:48
"No, sadly, I have not been to the Holy Land. I have always aspired to though, and now my chance has come. I hope I may serve the Order well as a leader and soldier, as my father was before me." Iakovos gathered up the books and scrolls he had left lying around as he continued to speak to Koulianos. "May I ask as to where you have heard tale of me?"

Rowan
05-31-2008, 17:27
I, Vartholomaios Ksiros, swear fealty to the Order of Saint John and its Grand Master Makedonios Ksanthopoulos.

PrinceofTroy
05-31-2008, 20:32
'I have only heard of you,Iakovos, in the Senate, only your name though." Koulianos replies, putting the Math book back and picking up one on the History of Byzantium.

Privateerkev
05-31-2008, 22:48
I accept Vartholomaios. You are hereby a Sergeant of the Order. Stand and be recognized!

And now we are seven! It touches my heart to see so many men of such caliber gathering together for such a noble purpose.

Privateerkev
06-01-2008, 07:25
Makedonios returns late in the evening from being out all day. He quickly heads through the Order's chambers to a small room set aside as the Order's chapel for when the Senate is in session. Giving orders to an aide to not be disturbed, the Grandmaster kneels before the alter. Praying to the Lord for strength, he also asks for forgiveness for the thoughts he had in his mind tonight. No one sees him leave the room for hours.

Privateerkev
06-01-2008, 16:58
It is nearly morning before Makedonios emerges from the chapel. He walks over to the basin and pours cold water over his face. Feeling refreshed he takes a seat in the great hall where a cup of tea and a bowl of stew are waiting for him. He mulls over what to do today and whether to go to the race or not.

BananaBob
06-01-2008, 21:32
Nathanail ek Korinthou quietly enters the Great hall and sits across from the grandmaster. Setting the stew he has already poured on the table in front of himself, Nathanial nods in acknowledgment to Makedonios Ksanthopoulos.

"I have a question for you, Grandmaster, pertaining to our Order's situation once we have captured Outremer. Will we have a policy of expansion into Turkic and Egyptian lands, or will we maintain a vigil over the holy lands from potential attack? How many provinces do we intend to incorporate into Byzantium until our mission is complete?"

Privateerkev
06-01-2008, 21:43
OOC: I guess we will just have to pretend Makedonios is warping all over the city. :laugh4:

Makedonios pauses over his stew for a moment and thinks.

That is a good question. I don't have any sort of set plan. For now, we just need to get over there and get a foothold. Then we can expand enough to protect the Holy Places. After that, I don't know. I suspect it will take decades before we even have to worry about it.

The Levant basically consists of Adana, Antioch, Acre, Tortosa, Jerusalem, Aleppo, and Damascus. I think that is a reasonable goal for the Order's territory. That should give every Order member a province to watch over and steward. Each knight will be responsible for the defense and religious needs of their area.

Beyond that, I don't really know. Perhaps other Orders or Houses will form to protect Egypt or Baghdad. Perhaps they will never be captured and we will have to maintain a defensive position. I doubt we will have to consider these questions in our lifetimes. Now is the time to establish something lasting. What others do with it, we will just have to trust in God and in our fellow man.

BananaBob
06-01-2008, 22:00
Nathanial nods in agreement, looking at no one in particular as he contemplates his future.

OOC: yeah I face palmed pretty hard when I realized that your avatar was in senate :sweatdrop:

Cecil XIX
06-01-2008, 22:49
At long last, Armatos sets foot in the Order's headquarters in the City. He pauses to reflect on the peaceful reading and reflecting going on.

[Liquid Snake]Brothers![/Liquid Snake]

I hope you are all ready to spread the Good Word as far east as our horses can take us! I see from the records that there's already been some discussion about what the future of the Order might look like, which I'm happy to see.

He turns to the Grandmaster.

My Lord, where shall we strike first? I dare say Jerusalem itself should be our first target, lest we end up having to wrest it from the Saracens!

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 00:05
OOC: We'll just pretend all of this happened in the morning. Otherwise, I'll have to add "time warping" to the Grandmaster's powers under the Charter. :laugh4:

Makedonios turns to Armatos and replies.

I'm afraid Jerusalem might be a long ways off. We simply do not have the forces or infrastructure set up to take and hold the city yet. We need to take this in steps. I am going to ask the Baselius to set us down by Tortosa or Adana this "term". Once we take a third settlement, we'll have a legal army. With that we will take the 4th. Which will give us a second army. By then we'll probably have Adana, Tortosa, Antioch, and Aleppo. Acre is the obvious next province. Then we can split and go for Damascus and Jerusalem. After that, we consolidate, evaluate threats to the area, and dig in. By that time I hope we'll have up to 5 legal armies to watch the borders.

Tortosa and Adana are the first targets simply because they will be the easiest. Each are small castles that have only half a dozen military regiments at best and we can take them with what we have. Which is good because it makes what we are asking for to be "cheap" which will mean it will be more likely for the Baselius to grant. The less we impact the Empire's finances, the better. I prefer to take Tortosa first only because the Templars need to be stopped now or they will spread. If they spread, they will be even harder to dislodge.

Ramses II CP
06-02-2008, 01:38
OOC: Following the pretend it's the morning bit:

Vissarionas ek Lesvou enters and holds a conversation in whispers with the steward about what's been discussed before his arrival. Hoping that he has a clear grasp on matters, he bolsters his courage and pipes in his ideas.

'My fellow Ordermates while I certainly acknowledge the good and wise advice of our Grandmaster I must say that I personally would advocate devoting our resources first to the capture of Antioch. I am no mighty strategist, just a simple third son and soldier, but it seems to me the terrain around Antioch is highly suitable for a wise defense, such as the vile rebels currently holding the city are incapable of making. Additionally the city has great trade potential and prestige. If we were to muster out in force with a small army and a quantity of our own guardsmen to lay siege in haste I believe the city could be taken quite quickly, and it's resources then devoted to the cause of securing further lands and training facilities in the Levant.

Additionally, of course, Antioch is not a nation but a sad little collection of rebel warlords. Attacking it would earn us not a war or even the irritation of our neighbors, but their approval and favor for removing the threat of pirates and desert raiders from their lands. The city can be quickly reinforced from our current island holdings, and the people there yearn for a single political and religious authority.

Please brethern, consider my plea, Antioch first and then a sweep down the coast towards the more doughty Catholic and Muslim held lands.'

Vissarionas finishes his impromptu speech looking slightly embarassed by his own forwardness. Having spoken so abruptly he then blushes and follows it by saying,

'Err, by the by, my name is Vissarionas if I haven't met you previously, and my brethern may of course call me Vissa, as my Mother did, for short.'

A deep bow hides his deepening blush as he waits for a response from his fellow members of the Order.

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 01:59
Makedonios smiled and nodded at Vissarionas.

Your right, Antioch is a priority. I'm just afraid we might not be able to take it first.

We have only a small force on Cyprus. Maybe 3 or 4 regiments of soldiers and the 7 of us with our personal guards. That leaves us three choices.

1.) We wait until we can build facilities on Nicosia that can field and equip a large advanced army.

2.) We recruit mercenary regiments both on Nicosia, and over in the Levant.

3.) We look at provinces that we can take with what we currently have.

The downside of choice 1 is that it will take years, maybe decades before Nicosia is capable of fielding a large army.

The downside of choice 2 is that it is very expensive to hire mercenaries. And persuading the Baslieus to spend thousands of florins when so much of the Empire needs money will not be possible.

The downside of choice 3 is that it limits our options. Basically only Adana and Tortosa can be taken quickly with the force we have. But the upside is that it is cheap. By being cheap, it is more likely that the Emperor will let us go through with our plans this term. All we really need is for the navy off the coast of Cyprus to shuttle us over to the Levant. At most, we might ask to hire one or two regiments of mercenaries to bolster our forces.

If you guys believe Antioch can be taken with the forces we have, and maybe a regiment or two of mercs, then I am certainly open to the possibility. Lets keep throwing ideas around and we'll see if we can hash out a plan.

Cecil XIX
06-02-2008, 02:47
Armatos regards the two men before him.

You both make good points. Methinks I shall go to the map room to get appraised of our situation.

Cecil XIX
06-02-2008, 03:30
Armatos walks briskly back into the Grand Hall.

Well, the good news is that Nicosia currently has two regiments of Byzantine spearmen, two regiments of Trebizond Archers, and one unit of Spear militia. Add that to the fact that the Grandmaster will want at least one Sergeant to accompy him, and we have seven companies already assembled. Since nobles of our caliber can only command a total of ten units anyway, we're pretty close to reaching our maximum size. All we would need to do is recruit a few mercenaries and we would have a large enough army to proceed.

Once that's done, we can have Admiral Dionysios ferry forces over to the mainland. The margin of error is small, but if we embark from the most north-eastern corner of Cyprus and disembark upon Antioch's primary fishing villiage then we can lay siege to Antioch by 1083. I must say that that city is indeed an ideal first target, as Vissarionas suggested.

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 03:47
Makedonios hears his sergeant's report and sits back in contemplation.

I would prefer if Antioch was the first settlement we take. My only worry is that we won't be able to assault the city without massive losses. We will most likely have to siege the city and wait for them to sally.

Your right that I want to bring as many sergeants as possible. After we see how many mercenaries we can get, we can bring as many generals as possible to meet the 10 regiment limit. Just keep in mind that we can only shuttle 4 regiments at a time. We only have 2 ships and each one can only move 2 regiments.

So it would take 2 trips to bring 8 regiments over. Then we could ask to recruit two mercenary units over in the Levant. That group could siege the city while we keep shuttling over sergeants, and any mercenaries we're allowed to hire in Nicosia, to form a reserve force.

Cecil XIX
06-02-2008, 04:02
Very good, my lord. In fact, if we're careful there will be enough time for Admiral Dionysios to transport twelve units across the sea before the enemy can react.

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 05:52
Makedonios walks into the Order's chambers and addresses the assembled sergeants.

Events in the Senate have reminded me that I should warn all of you from getting caught up in some of the "theater" that goes on. While you have every right to speak up and make yourself heard, you can also leave some of the trickier bits of parliamentary maneuvering to me. That way I get to insulate you from some of the ire of the others.

What some of you just witnessed was someone attempting to play a little power game. Which is a regrettable waste of time. And a couple of you played right into it. No one has any right to question your loyalty to the Emperor other than the Emperor himself. And since all of you have sworn to me, that makes it my responsibility to then swear our Order to the Emperor. And swear I shall. But it will be on his terms! Not any third party, no matter who they may be.

Ramses II CP
06-02-2008, 14:13
Vissarionas nods his head, and remarks,

'Is it not ever thus, that it isn't enough for highly placed men to hold us on strings, but they must tug on them often to ensure they remain stuck on? I suppose it's only my youth, but my father always told me; "When cheap ceremony is called for follow it to the letter, else the price may rise."'

'Assuredly, however, I will resolve myself to follow your lead in the future regarding such silly demands.'

Vissarionas trails off muttering, '....not even the most foolish traitor would declare himself in so obvious a manner. The Prince is clearly just a manipulative...'

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 15:06
Makedonios nods in understanding at Vissarionas's words.

I guess I would amend that saying to; "Avoid cheap ceremony that goes against your principles or the price will rise to a point where you shouldn't pay."

Simply allow it to be a life lesson. That one was pretty painless as far as life lessons go.

Cecil XIX
06-02-2008, 18:33
My lords, we must discuss Edict 1.2. Obviously if it passes in it's current form our entry into the Holy Land will be delayed considerably. Let us discuss now, so that when the Basileus arrives we will be ready for the ensuing discussion.

Certainly we should try to get Antioch in there, though I must say the mention of Rhodes got me thinking. I believe we should attempt to take that island as well, lest other houses demand naval transports as well. We need to minimize the usefulness of ships to other houses and maximize their use to us, so that some will always be at our service.

Ramses II CP
06-02-2008, 19:28
Rhodes is certainly an important province, but it is sure to be a sink for funds in the immediate future, and uncertainly profitable even in the long run. My hope for the capture of Antioch is that it will so enrich the empire as to win acclaim and leeway for our Order's larger aims in the Levant.

Cecil XIX
06-02-2008, 19:57
Quite true Vassarionas, but if the Edict passes as is we will have to take what we can get.

Gentlemen, I propose we ask that Antioch replace Trebizond on Edict 1.2. Trebizond is march to far aways in any case, and if such a thing were done than the edict would surely pass unanimously. Let act once we have reached a consensus.

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 20:09
Rhodes is unacceptable to me.

a.) It is in House of Asteri's sphere of influence.

b.) It is in the exact opposite direction of where we need to go.

c.) Others are far closer to it than us so they should take it.

If we do not get Antioch on the list, then we will wait for ten years. At the start of the next term, we will be much closer to the Holy Land than if we were stuck out in Rhodes. With only two ships, there is no way we can transport a large force that far within a term.

I will lobby to get Antioch on the list. If that fails, I will present an Edict that will put Antioch on the list if Edict 1.2 passes. If that still fails, I will appeal to the Emperor himself. But mark my words, not a single regiment will leave this island to head west.

What we are asking for is very small.

Privateerkev
06-02-2008, 22:56
The Comes enters the chambers for a quick break from all of the politics. He grabs a water pitcher and downs it in big gulps.

Alright, I think the amended Edict 1.4 is the best were going to get. From what I can surmise, Edict 1.2 is most likely going to pass. With that in mind, Edict 1.4 is our best hope at getting to Antioch this term.

With voting coming up, I wish to talk a bit first. Many of you are new to this process. This is not a monolithic House. I expect you to vote your consciences. But I will make political deals in order to make sure legislation passes that will allow us to do our work. And for those deals to work, I will need your help.

Before voting, I will send you all letters letting you know what deals are in the works. If you have any questions about voting or reservations regarding deals that are made, please let me know as soon as possible.

Privateerkev
06-03-2008, 04:08
After his presentation in the Senate, the Grandmaster returns to the chambers to confer with his Sergeants.

Alright, in preparing for the presentation I just gave, I also made up a possible timetable for us to present to the Emperor.

Turn 1: Move ships to NE corner of Cyprus. Move me and 3 regiments to ships. Move ships to Antioch fishing village where I will land. Move ships back to NE corner. (OOC: this is possible if the Alt-A trick is used.) Move 2 Sergeants and 2 regiments on to the ships. Move last 4 sergeants to NE corner of Cyprus.

Turn 2: Move ships to Antioch fishing village. Unload new 4 units into old 4 units. Move all 8 to Antioch and siege it. Move ships back to NE corner and load 4 Sergeants. Move ships back to fishing village.

Turn 3: Move 2 sergeants into army. Move other 2 next to city and army but do not let them siege it.

Turn 4 to Turn 7: Keep on siegin...

Turn 8: Before turn 8, garrison will sally. Form a wall with regiments and move RBG's to pinch the sally. Try not to lose any avatars. :sweatdrop:

I also want to say that today you guys did well in the Senate. I'm proud just to be among you. We really fought the good fight and your tenacity inspired me to stand strong.

Ramses II CP
06-03-2008, 04:16
'Grandmaster you shall, of course, have my full support and service in any matter you desire. I must apologize a bit, I have been speaking more from my heart than my head, but I simply cannot comprehend the noisy opposition to what seems so obvious a matter as the capture of Antioch. And the excuses given! They are such obvious falsehoods!

More over what is the obsession with passing legislation to limit our armies and deny them options?

If I were a suspicious man I might begin to believe someone is opposing the Order out of hand. More likely, I suppose, this is some larger power struggle that I cannot see the reason of and we are merely caught up in it.

It was especially vexing to have such foolish points repeated over and over again, and by men who must surely have a better grasp of the situation than they display in public.'

Vissarionas gives a deep sigh, and takes a seat in one of the more comfortable looking chairs in the room. With slumping shoulders and a beaten posture he rests his head in his hands and appears deep in thought, or as deep as a sixteen year old soldier can delve anyway.

Cecil XIX
06-03-2008, 06:15
It's not surprising that we find ourselves opposed. After all, with seven senators the Knights of St. John have the potential to become the strongest force in the Empire. And as the Patriach would be quick to point out, power can be a horrible thing... We must be cautious, gentlemen.

In anycase, we shall follow your plan Grandmaster.

Privateerkev
06-03-2008, 06:20
Power can be a horrible thing. I've written the Charter with that in mind. The Order is designed to become more democratic, the larger it gets. As more of you get land, more of you will become knights. Then you will be able to vote on various internal matters.

Together we will build something lasting that will serve the Empire and do some good in the world.

And today we took our first step.

Rowan
06-03-2008, 08:12
Vartholomaios enters during a recess of the Senate

I have stayed silent for I believe that more voices do not add anything of value and we need to keep cooler heads and fresh voices in reserve and not succumb to the shouting match that happened before the Basileos arrived.

Speaking of Basileos, I fear all our reasoning - and I call it our even though I did not speak - falls on deaf ears. The senators seem not to listen to religious arguments and neither do they listen to economic or even military arguments!

And what is this speak of Cyprus not being an integral part of the empire and that our noble Order has abandoned the defense of empire in retreating to the island!

Vartholomaios shakes his head in disgust as he slumps to the chair, staring broodingly to empty air

Ramses II CP
06-03-2008, 14:15
Reading over the latest notes from the Senate Vissarionas notes the entrance of the Emperor, and grimaces at his comments.

It is clear now brothers, our political opponents are seeking some base political compromise over the matter of Antioch, and they have won the Basileus to their cause. Grandmaster I submit that further public debate would be fruitless, it is now time to contact the Basileus privately and offer him whatever it is he would ask in exchange for our capture of Antioch.

Else I fear the Order shall spend the first years of it's existence twiddling our thumbs and discovering which of us suffers most from sea sickness.

If a way forward can be discovered we must then begin to seek out which house opposes us out of hand, and what hold they have over the Basileus. If a way towards the Levant cannot be discovered, we must not allow ourselves to be used as a pawn in the political gambits of other houses, not even if that means serving out the current Megas' turn patiently 'preparing' for our battles in the Levant, as our opponents have suggested.

The young man looks a little ill at the thought of returning to the Senate, and retires to his comfortable chair to hang his head in his hands.

Privateerkev
06-03-2008, 14:26
Men, do not lose heart. The Senate is still in session and much can happen.

Have faith. You were strong for me yesterday, now I will be strong for you.

BananaBob
06-04-2008, 04:16
I must confess, my knowledge of the processes of bureaucracy is very limited, and I am a bit disheartened to see the happenings of the senate. The capture of Antioch will give net gain to all of the empire...

Nathanail pauses

Who is the former ghulam who is participating in the senate? Is he a follower of Islam or does he recognize our true Orthodox faith?

Privateerkev
06-04-2008, 04:20
If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask. If you have specific questions about legislation, feel free to write me a letter.

As for the dark skinned man, I don't know. I believe he is an Orthodox who was captured and forced to work for the Saracens as a slave. It's obvious that he escaped. I don't think we have anything to worry about from him. It is a guess but that is my hunch.

ULC
06-04-2008, 17:56
All I can say is I can feel only pity towards Strator Apionnas Vringas, no man should ever have his freedom simply taken away from him without true just cause. I found him to be well spoken and observant as well as quiet compared to the other Senators, somewhat of a relief, even if he is not for us or truly against us as of yet.

Iakovos smiles as he finds an open chair and sits down to open a book, and begins intently reading.

Privateerkev
06-06-2008, 16:10
Alright men, Edict 1.4 is going to pass. I want to discuss how we're going to issue our movement orders for this "turn". Keep in mind that we can only move 4 units at a time on the ships.

First, I am going to take the 2 professional spears and an archer, and get on the ships. The ships will take me to the fishing village of Antioch and drop me off to make a beachhead.

The ships will return to Cyprus. Then, I want Armatos and Vissarionas to take the other 2 regiments, and get on the ships.

Finally, Iakovos, Nathanial, Koulianos, and Vartholomaios will move to the NE corner of the island and form a "stack" so they are ready to be transported next "turn".

Now, there are a couple of ways to do this. Either;

a.) All of you change your avatar restrictions in the SoT to read something to the effect of "Avatar is not to be moved without my or Makedonios's permission." Then I will issue movement orders for all of us.

b.) Or anyone who does not do option A will have to issue very specific orders to the Emperor that conform exactly to the plan laid out above.

If you do not do this, you risk being left behind on Cyprus because the Emperor might not be able to legally move you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ramses II CP
06-06-2008, 17:42
Excellent Grandmaster, I greatly look forward to serving under your command at last!

OOC: I tried to draw up order so that you or any other member of the Order could move my as necessary, but if we're relying on the Megas to do it I'll alter my conditions to make that possible.

edit: I altered it to read thus:

My avatar can be moved by the Megas as necessary to complete any orders from the Grandmaster of the Order of St. John, can be moved by any member of the Order of St. John who starts in the same stack with him, or by the Grandmaster himself no matter what his position.

Privateerkev
06-06-2008, 17:54
OOC:

Since our movements involve ships, we need the Megas to do it. But we have a few ways to do it.

a.) we can all turn off our avatar restrictions and just trust the Megas to move us.

b.) we can turn on restrictions that are very strict. This would mean that each of us would have to send a seperate order to the Megas.

c.) we can turn on restrictions that are not as strict. This would mean that a single player could submit the order to the Megas for all the avatar movements and then he would have to follow it.

I say we go with c. But if people don't want me submitting orders for them, then maybe a combination of b and c. I will submit an order for anyone who allows it in their restriction. And then those who want to maintain total control over their avatar movement will have to submit seperate orders.

We ran into some problems in the test game and the above procedures are the best ways of gettin through it. With the new rules, it is very easy to see plans get snagged. So coordination among the players is even more important now.

Privateerkev
06-07-2008, 03:15
Here is a draft of the orders I will submit to the Emperor. Coordinates are in parentheses. Anyone is welcome to consult the maps and let me know if there is a more efficient way of doing this.

1st.) Move ships to the area just north of Nicosia. (297,82)

2nd.) Move Makedonios, 2 Byzantine Spearmen, and 1 Treb Archer to boats.

3rd.) Move ships to spot just west of Antioch fishing village. (307,87) Disembark Makedonios and men into the fishing village.

4th.) Move ships to NorthEast corner of the island. (303,85)

5th.) Move Armatos, Vissarionas, Treb Archer, and Spear Militia to ships.

6th.) Move remaining Iakovos, Nathanial, Koulianos, and Vartholomaios together in a stack to NorthEast corner of the island. (302,84)

Now, 4 of you have amended the SOT in such a way that allows me to submit these orders for you to the Emperor. Iakovos and Nathanail still have not done so. So I need you two to do one of two things. Either;

a.) amend your SOT to allow me to issue orders for you or,

b.) issue a movement order directly to the Emperor to have him do the 6th step for you.

BananaBob
06-08-2008, 02:34
OOC: done.

ULC
06-08-2008, 03:11
OOC: done as well

Privateerkev
06-08-2008, 03:41
OOC: cool. I'll wait a little bit before sending orders so we can tweak the plan if we find improvements. We'll have to wait for OK to take the save back after everyone has made their own moves. So we still have a little time.

Privateerkev
06-08-2008, 15:18
Alright, I have submitted our plan to the Emperor.

There is something else I would like to discuss. It is time for me to pick a second in command. I have been watching all of you in the Senate. And while all of you have done a fine job, one man has stood out from the rest. And that is Armatos ek Naksou. He has helped me draft our Charter and he fought hard in the Senate for our Antioch campaign. I have put him in my will to receive Nicosia in the event of my death.

Congratulations Sergeant Armatos ek Naksou!

Cecil XIX
06-08-2008, 18:02
I thank you for this immense honor, Grandmaster. I shall work my utmost to bring the Order of St. John honor and prestige.

Privateerkev
06-09-2008, 16:21
A letter arrives from the Grandmaster,

Greetings Sergeants,

I have landed in the fishing village of Antioch and am holding a beachhead. My plan is to land the troops that are currently embarked on ships and then take that combined force and siege Antioch. I then will send the ships back and will move the other 4 Sergeants from Cyprus to Antioch. If they can reach, I will move 2 of the Sergeants into the combined army and move the other 2 next to the army to provide reinforcements.

God go with you,
Comes Makedonios

OOC: Since OK has still given me permission to move the ships, I'll assume I can do all of the moves for the Order this turn. I'm at work now but I'll either go home during my lunch break or wait till after work. If anyone has a problem with this, or has other ideas, please let me know.

Privateerkev
06-09-2008, 18:55
Makedonios gathers his Sergeants at his command tent outside of the wall of Antioch.

Gentlemen, welcome to Antioch.

As you can see, we are keeping the city under siege. And we have our main force camped right outside their gate in case they sally. Get settled in because we will be here for awhile. I am shipping a regiment of peasants over to help reinforce us. Once the church in Nicosia is built, I will see about getting a priest sent here to start preaching the good Word to the locals.

Cecil XIX
06-09-2008, 19:23
Armatos eyes look a little dull, though it doesn't slow his reation.

Excellent, Grandmaster. *cough* *cough* I'm glad to be off of that ship, and I look forward to our first territorial acquisition.

Privateerkev
06-09-2008, 19:29
Makedonios eyes his second in command,

Are you ok? You seem a little under the weather.

Cecil XIX
06-09-2008, 19:42
It is just some minor fatigue from the trip, my lord. I've been worse before, and I'll get through this without difficulty.

Ramses II CP
06-10-2008, 02:09
M'lord if I may ask why are there no siege engines being prepared? Is the possibility of an assault to be so lightly dismissed? I fear for the citizens of Antioch, many of them our Orthodox brethern, suffering through an extensive siege on limited supplies. Not to mention those of our brothers here who are not completely well.

(Err, assume this was said long ago eh? I've had a lot come up lately.)

Congratulations on being named second, by the by, Armatos ek Naksou! It is quite encouraging to see the Order's structure coming together!

(Back to the current moment)

It seems somehow... ignoble to merely starve out the rabble guarding the walls at the cost of so much suffering. Might it not be better to move forward and bring the enemy to a more decisive battle?

Your pardon if I'm speaking out of turn m'lord.

Vissarionas' eyes are full of questions as the true length of the siege begins to dawn on him.

Privateerkev
06-10-2008, 02:23
You ask a good question.

I have 3 good reasons for not assaulting the city.

1.) We simply do not have the strength to do it without terrible losses. With 7 regiments, the city's garrison can hold the walls for some time against our assault. We have exactly 3 regiments of foot soldiers right now. 1 would have to go for the gates. So that leaves 2 to take the walls. The city has 5 regiments of foot soldiers and 2 of archers. The walls would be a bloodbath. If we ignore the walls, we'll get peppered with arrows. Either way, the city wouldn't fall easy.

2.) We need as many soldiers as possible to keep the peace in the city afterwards. The city will not take kindly to being ruled by those of a different faith and we will need men patrolling the streets to keep the peace.

3.) We need to preserve this army for the long-term. We are not likely to be reinforced for some time. And Nicosia only has the facilities to train peasants. So what we have is probably all we will get in terms of professional soldiers for decades.

I'm afraid that if we attack now, we will gut our army and will watch the city revolt out from under us.

Waiting allows us to bring peasants over from Nicosia to help patrol the streets. And we can bring a priest over to start preaching the Word.

There is also the possibility that if we wait, the city will simply fall without a fight. I've checked the logistics and we can keep the army supplied long enough to wait the city out.

ULC
06-10-2008, 03:41
May I ask what your battle plan is in case the foe where to sally M'lord, for I have a plan of my own. I think it can be won with less then 10 casualties from some of my simulations if we were to use the fact that the enemy completely lack cavalry. I propose pulling our infantry back and allow the archers to rain death upon the foe unguarded. If we position ourselves correctly, when they give chase to the archers, we can have a concerted charge from our bodyguard and the infantry, surrounding them and causing a mass rout with few casualties.

(OOC: Tested in game :yes:)

Privateerkev
06-10-2008, 03:45
That was the plan I had as well. But I hope not to use it. If we get enough peasants in the reinforcement force, the garrison may very well give up without a fight instead of sallying.

OOC: If we make the odds too uneven, the AI will just let us take the city without a fight when the siege is over. For many reasons, I believe this is the optimal result.

Ramses II CP
06-10-2008, 04:48
OOC: I believe it's customary not to 'scout' battles ahead of time; since this game is cooperative and competitive at the same time it's best choose your moment and take your chances on a single decisive engagement. FYI for the future. :2thumbsup:

I'll have an IC reply tomorrow when my brain isn't dead. :laugh4:

Privateerkev
06-10-2008, 04:51
OOC: I believe it's customary not to 'scout' battles ahead of time; since this game is cooperative and competitive at the same time it's best choose your moment and take your chances on a single decisive engagement. FYI for the future. :2thumbsup:

I'll have an IC reply tomorrow when my brain isn't dead. :laugh4:

OOC: It is actually perfectly acceptable. The only thing we do is put certain results in "spoilers" so people can avoid them. We did this all the time in KotR. :yes:

Next time I'll be more selective with what I put out of spoilers. :bow:

ULC
06-10-2008, 05:18
(OOC: Sorry, I was trying to put it in IC terms, seems that didn't quite work out. Well, I'll be more careful next time :bow: .)

Privateerkev
06-10-2008, 05:28
OOC: I allow normal OOC conversations to be out of spoilers in this thread. It's just that some people want to be surprised by things that happen in the game. If you ever want to play ahead to learn who the new heir will be, that is ok, but then some people will not want to know. So, we put it in spoilers. Same with battle results.

As for Antioch, so much of it required OOC mechanics, that I just talked about it OOC. What's funny is that I talked about this being a 6 turn siege many posts ago and no one said anything. :clown:

Askthepizzaguy
06-26-2008, 14:18
A letter arrives from the Order of the Silver Hawks

My lords, Senators and Heroes of the Order of Saint John,

I wish it to be known that the Order of St. John has the full and unrelenting political support of the House Tepaki, Order of the Silver Hawks. While we are but two in number, I will argue passionately for your cause in the Senate.

Nothing would please me more than to see the Order of Saint John prevail over the enemies of the Empire in the east, for this will provide the empire with the security and necessary funds for the West.

It seems we lack the political will to take on the Catholics at this time. So, we prepare defenses only, much to my personal dismay. However, we will be ready in case the treacherous Italians attack us. In the mean time, if you do what must be done, you will have friends and allies in the Silver Hawks.

The Tepaki are noting that some Senators speak of an "east-west rivalry", and from my perspective, that's utter nonsense. For one, we would never have dispute over land, nor really much dispute over foreign policy. I fear that some ambitious Senators are taking things too far, and forgetting we are one empire, and what happens in the west affects the east and vice-versa. The Tepaki will not forget that the Order of Saint John is comprised of brothers and friends, and brave Roman soldiers, and thus will never impede the noble conquests of the heathen Muslims in any way, shape, or form.

Warmest Regards,

Strator Efstratios Monomachos

"The strength of one good army..."

Ramses II CP
06-30-2008, 22:00
Brethern I know I have been quiet, and perhaps even moody, these past few years. I have been unable to stomach attending to the political games of the Senate, despite knowing their necessity. My role has, perhaps, been slight and my contributions as well. That being said, the subsequent events at Antioch have weighed heavily on my soul and the time has at last come for me to speak what I feel must be said on the matter.

I am not a man of letters, as many of my good brothers are, nor am I the mightiest sword arm in the Order, though I've earned my share of scars, nor would I claim to be the most pious of us all. No, for mosts, I fall far short. For leasts, however, I feel I may have a claim or two. I was the least enthusiastic about our plans for the siege of Antioch, though by no means did I expect the disaster which befell our foe and ourselves there. Since Antioch too I have been the least involved, the least attentive to my duties.

Now that must end. The Senate session has left me without a choice. I must and will carry on with my duties, but I cannot do so under the same terms as before. Something must change.

If this were a matter of my private error, I would go to my superior in the order. If it were a matter of a collective error for I and others, I would go before the Grandmaster. This, though, I believe is a matter of the Order's error. The Order's sin.

I am not a priest, so perhaps I am speaking out of place. In any case, I make no claim on any other member's conscience nor recommendation towards their actions. For me, though, there must be penance. Penance which can be set by only one man.

I depart now to go before the Patriarch to beg him to set me a penance that I might expiate the sin I carry from Antioch. It matters not a whit that I slew no one at the city, the men under my command, the men I spent years preparing and training, the men for whom I was responsible carried out a very great and unjust slaughter of innocents. I can no longer bear that knowledge, that stain on my soul. I can only pray the Patriarch will intercede in my name and set me an appropriate penance so I can be redeemed.

Whatever he asks of me, I will do, even unto a breach of my solemn vows to the Order, if such should be necessary to redeem myself. If this causes me to be outcast from you, my brothers, know that I have been honored to be a part of this great Order and I wish you all the greatest success in your aims!

Vissarionas ek Lesvou

Privateerkev
06-30-2008, 22:18
Sitting in a bed in the Order's chambers, Makedonios hears his Sergeant.

We are all dealing with the tradgedy in Antioch our own way. You need to do what you think is right. You have my full support. I hope His Eminence helps give you guidance.

As for acts that might breach the Order's charter, let's cross that bridge if we get to it. For now just let me know if there is anything you need.

BananaBob
07-01-2008, 01:08
Nathanial looks at Vissarionas with understanding

Vissarionas, all of us have taken the sack of Antioch quite hard, but it is important not to lose sight of the Orders goals. It is up to each of us to ensure that the happenings of Antioch are never repeated by the Order again. We must be vigilant, and teach those who are fresh to the Order self-control and piety. We must be forgiving, and show our enemies the way of Christ. The good deeds and righteousness of our order must erase its troubled beginnings from the annals of history.

Avenge those two thousand wrongly killed at Antioch by sending ten thousand on the path of righteousness. When I first saw the chaos in the city, I felt my commitment to the Order wane. I recently exchanged letters with the Grandmaster asking to resign, but he has convinced me otherwise. Where else in our empire are righteous men such as we embarked upon as noble a quest? The answer is nowhere. The other Houses clamor for more land and material wealth, while we clamor for the holy land and wealth of spirit.

I hope your faith in the Order is restored as mine has been. This group of men has the potential to be the outlet for such greatness, such beautiful acts in the name of God. Seek your penance from the Patriarch, but I encourage you to stay here to accomplish great things in the name of our Lord.

For me, this is the only penance.

ULC
07-01-2008, 01:47
Iakovos coughs into his hand to get the others attention

Just to let the all of you know, with the blessings of our Grandmaster and the patronage of the Princess Anna Komnenus, I have begun work on the construction of a University to teach those who have lost so much in our reclamation of Antioch. One of my men, Levon, and I have begun teaching the orphans of the city in a small school for now, but with time, I hope to make Antioch the intellectual jewel of the Empire, and hopefully repay for some of the tragedy here.

Cecil XIX
07-01-2008, 06:16
Ah, excellent Iakovos! I am glad that so many of us are trying to find ways to make amends for what has happened, and I pray that my own redemption will be found in leading Antioch into a new golden age. Vissarionas, I am glad that you are taking the situation seriously. I pray that you shall find the redemption you seek.

Cecil XIX
07-01-2008, 06:49
Armatos suddenly bursts into the room wearing his armor.

My lords! The Order's scouts have reported that an army of brigands and rebels has been raised northwards of Antioch, and have seized the Iron River-crossing! I have just returned from personally scouting out the enemy's disposition, and although most of the foreign natives were unwilling to divulge any information, a few friends of the Empire have informed me that they number some sixteen companies. Though I attempted to get closer and ascertain their exact makeup, I was only able to witness a company of desert archers out foraging before we were chased off by a group of fanatics.

Grandmaster, if the enemy should leave the safety of the river crossing to advance on our position I request permission to take the sergeants and our professional soldiers out into the field so that we may engage and destroy them!

Privateerkev
07-01-2008, 07:01
Makedonios looks alarmed at the news.

I heard rumors of unrest in other parts of the Empire but I didn't know it reached here.

You absolutely have permission. I know as a Comes you have limitations as to how many men you can have in an army. You take as many men as you legally can have. I can bring up the reserves.

TinCow
07-01-2008, 14:43
I know as a Comes you have limitations as to how many men you can have in an army. You take as many men as you legally can have. I can bring up the reserves.

OOC: Armatos is lord of Antioch. He can command as large a force as he wants within the borders of his territory. Since the rebel army is within the province, a split is not required. This is exactly why the rule was written that way. When you're defending your land, you have no limitations.

Privateerkev
07-01-2008, 14:57
OOC:

Your right. Thanks for clearing that up. :bow:

Looks like Mak will have to sit it out then. His command is so high, he'll take command if he is in the stack, but his stats really suck because of pneumonia. :laugh4:

Ramses II CP
07-01-2008, 15:07
OOC: Vissarionas may very well not be present for this battle.

IC: Vissarionas ek Lesvou returns to the Order HQ just in time to hear Armatos' declaration of intent to put down the rebellion. His face already bore a troubled look, which only deepens as he considers the implications for Antioch and possibly for the entire Empire. Turning to Armatos he says,

'May God grant you victory Marshal, and ward the cities of the Empire!'

Turning then to Makedonios and issuing a salute, Vissarionas continues,

'Grandmaster I must request a private audience to discuss my immediate future and the requirements of my penance.'

OOC: This will be put together as a coop story on the AHEM! board. I'll kick it off a little later. :yes:

Privateerkev
07-01-2008, 15:26
Makedonios nods at Vissa.

Of course, you can come into my chambers when ever your ready.
--------------------------------------------------------
OOC:

The first rule of the private board is that you do not talk about the private board.

The second rule of the private board... is that you do not talk about the private board!

:laugh4:

*edit*

The third rule of the private board dictates that adding "ahem" to the word "board" will not be used as a loophole to get around rules one and two.

:clown:

Cecil XIX
07-03-2008, 00:04
Sergeants of St. John, we ride to war! In anticipation of Antioch's besiegement we shall depart the city and from the hammer to the garrison's anvil! Woe betide the enemy when they face us in battle!

Privateerkev
07-03-2008, 00:09
Marshall,

You might as well take the army with as well. Leave me in the city with just enough to keep order. Lower the taxes as well during this time of troubles.

OOC:

Leave Mak, Vissa, and just enough units to keep order.

Take the army and the rest of the Sergeants out.

Ramses will remove Vissa later tonight. (so make sure the public order is high enough to survive Vissa's absence.)

Cecil XIX
07-03-2008, 01:26
My lord, even the most optimistic scenario will only allow us to take three additional regiments. Rather than split our line of battle in half, or seperate the archers from a protective line of infantry, it is best if we use the cavalry's mobility to give us a better position when the battle commences. Besides which, if something unexpected were to happen, there would be no better place for foot soldiers than inside the city walls.

Privateerkev
07-03-2008, 01:35
Your right. Then just take yourself and three Sergeants. Leave me and the army. Vissa is leaving on detached duty and he will get going himself later on.

Privateerkev
07-04-2008, 00:37
Makedonios collapsed onto his bed in the command tent at the city center. He was exhausted.

Good job everyone. We saved the city.

TheFlax
07-04-2008, 00:44
I, Aerovindos ek Samou, swear an oath of allegiance to Makedonios Ksanthopoulos.

Privateerkev
07-04-2008, 00:45
And I accept. Good job Sergeant! You were instrumental in our success today.

BananaBob
07-04-2008, 01:02
Still clad in his lamellar, Nathanail sighs deeply with exhaustion before turning and smiling at the new Sergent.

Welcome, Aerovindos, to the Order of St.John!

Cecil XIX
07-04-2008, 01:18
Armatos returns, still smiling but not quite as enthusiastic as when he left.

Well done, Grandmaster! I thought things were going to get rough when the entire line routed before contact, but that couldn't have gone much better.

Armatos turns to Aerovindos.

And welcome to you, good Sergeant! Why, I heard that when you first arrived you were on top of a hill with the son at your back, ha ha!

Now if you excuse me gentlemen, I must return to my civil duties. I've got a bit of catching up to do.

[I]Armatos salutes the Grandmaster, turns on his heal and departs.[/H]

OOC: I thought I was going to fight the battle?

Privateerkev
07-04-2008, 01:19
OOC: I got SS working again. If I couldn't you would have fought it.

Cecil XIX
07-04-2008, 01:27
OOC: Ahh, now it all makes sense. Didn't grasp the full significance of that.

Privateerkev
07-04-2008, 01:28
OOC: It actually CTD'd on me today when I loaded SS. I wiped the CD and put it back and it worked...

:sweatdrop:

Rowan
07-04-2008, 07:59
Bart enters in dusty and battle-stained clothing, having only removed his armor. He is obviously in good spirits after the battle

Ha! That was some battle. Grand Master, if that is how you fight while bed-ridden I'd like to see you once you are healthy! Ha!

I have to admit I was a bit worried about that rabble before the battle but it seems pure numbers don't matter if the quality is not there. Bart's expression goes sour And the same goes for our valiant troops... good thing the battle plan didn't in the end rely on them.

Turning to the stranger in the group
Ah you must be Areovindos. Welcome to the Order! How is Samos this time of the year? Lovely, I'd think, eh!?

Just stop wearing that dress in public, will you?

ULC
07-04-2008, 09:16
Iakovos, having been nursing his wounds, finally makes an appearance. His hair is a mess and his right arm is in a sling

Welcome Aerovindos, your help was much appreciated. I myself was surprised to see another unit upon the field and thought it Vissarionas for a moment. Your battle prowess was exceptional, and I wish I had such skill myself, otherwise I might not have suffered an injured arm and a bruised body.

Brother Bart, I think you to harsh towards our men. Yes, they did run from the battle, but with the way things have been for them, do you expect less? None of them are truly hardened to battle as of yet, and seeing so many men that they should face down, I wouldn't have doubted them to run.

Privateerkev
07-04-2008, 17:48
Makedonios allows himself a small smile when Bart speaks.

Thank you Sergeant. You'd be surprised how motivated someone can be when they are stuck in bed for over a decade.

He then turns to Iakovos.

No skill? You are being far too modest. From my vantage point, you held off hundreds of men in the enemy's center before we could get there. You fought valiantly like every man here.

Addressing everyone.

As for our army's behavior, this only drives home the importance of supplies. Now that the enemy army is gone, we need to get the army resupplied before going out on campaign. Otherwise, the army will just rout again upon first sight of the enemy.

So, unfortunately, for now, we must again sit and wait.

But the moment you men are resupplied, you will be sent back out into the field.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC:

SS's supply system takes some getting used to. All of our avatars are only "25% supplied" which inflicts big morale penalties upon the army you lead. Which is one of the reasons the whole army routed in the beginning of the battle. So, the only cure is to sit in the city and eventually the avatars will get resupplied.

TheFlax
07-04-2008, 19:08
Areovindos appears weary and battered. He seemed dismissive at first.

I wouldn't know about Samou, haven't been to that place in quite some time.

His tone turned more jovial when he addressed all assembled.

I thank you all for your kind words, it was an honor fighting this battle with such valiant men and I can only hope for more opportunity to prove my worth for all of you.

TinCow
07-04-2008, 22:06
OOC: SS's supply system takes some getting used to. All of our avatars are only "25% supplied" which inflicts big morale penalties upon the army you lead. Which is one of the reasons the whole army routed in the beginning of the battle. So, the only cure is to sit in the city and eventually the avatars will get resupplied.

OOC: Sorry for butting into your thread, but I think it's possible to manage this in your favor. Instead of taking all avatars on every campaign, you could let some rest up while the rest go out. Then when the campaigners need to resupply, the rested avatars can take over. That way you've always got people ready when they're needed. There are plenty of Order members to accomplish this.

Privateerkev
07-05-2008, 00:02
OOC: Sorry for butting into your thread, but I think it's possible to manage this in your favor. Instead of taking all avatars on every campaign, you could let some rest up while the rest go out. Then when the campaigners need to resupply, the rested avatars can take over. That way you've always got people ready when they're needed. There are plenty of Order members to accomplish this.

OOC:

Feel free! :beam:

I think your absolutely right. But we couldn't avoid all of the avatars using their supplies since we needed them all for the original siege last term.

Once all of the avatars are rested up, we'll start rotating them as you've suggested.

BananaBob
07-07-2008, 17:39
OOC:

Areovindos ek Samou doesn't meet the orders chivalry requirements :sweatdrop:

EDIT: to become a knight... man I get the sergeant and knight requirements confused

Privateerkev
07-07-2008, 17:44
OOC:

Yup, anyone can be a Sergeant. He can have 10 dread, no piety, and be married. As long as he swears to the feudal chain and follows the Charter, it is fine. This was done to a.) broaden the recruitment pool, b.) follow the example of history, and c.) allow "redemption" scenarios for characters.

Say you have butchered thousands of people. No problem. Go to the "Kingdom of Heaven" and work for forgiveness. :2thumbsup:

Cecil XIX
07-09-2008, 01:06
OOC: I've just finished planning the Siege of Aleppo, and we have a problem. Next turn the Sergeants (except for Areovindos) will run out of supples. Because of that, the turn after they'll get the trait 'Bad Logistician' which results in -1 Command and -2 Troop Morale. It's not an anti-trait of logisticalskill, so the only way to get rid of it is with the console.

Privateerkev
07-09-2008, 01:13
OOC: Crap...

I didn't know that because I've stopped playing ahead like people asked... ~;p

Well that sucks.

Maybe we can ask TC to take the traits out like he did with the unwatched traits. This supply system has elements of it that really sucks...

Cecil XIX
07-09-2008, 02:00
In my defense, I figure our characters would know IC how the supply system works even if we don't. :sweatdrop:

BananaBob
07-09-2008, 03:51
The supply system is driving me crazy...

Also: happy 1000th post Cecil!

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 03:29
Members of the Order,

There will be a wedding party tonight to celebrate the union of Princess Anna and Ioannis Kalameteros. Attendance is mandatory. We will go and honor the royal family. Dress up and behave yourselves.

And please... don't make me sit there alone... I will be bored out of my mind...

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 04:58
OOC:

Since people are starting to get concerned, I've PM'd TinCow and asked him to remove the "Bad Logistician" trait from people's avatars, when they appear. I told him he can give it to Makedonios if he wants. As the man in charge, Mak should be the one that gets that trait, if anyone.

Have I mentioned that elements of this supply system really sucks? :wall:

Ramses II CP
07-10-2008, 15:33
A well worn letter arrives from Vissarionas ek Lesvou intended for the eyes of all the Order members who would be interested.

Brothers,

I pray nightly that things are going well for us in the Levant, and what little news reaches me seems positive. I understand a new member has come to serve the Order, so I wish him welcome and will be pleased to meet him on my return!

My work here has been difficult, and challenging. The path I walk is unclear from step to step, and I have little guidance but what I can glean from prayer. Despite all that, I am certain I am doing the work of God and advancing the cause of our faith. The day will come when I return triumphant and redeemed, and can stride the streets of Antioch without being overwhelmed by my shame. I have sworn it will be so, and whatever must pass to reach that goal will see my hands turned to the task willingly!

I am still not at liberty to fully discuss my location, but I do wish to convey that the name of the Order is known even among heathens and infidels. The fame of the captors of Antioch, and the knowledge of our growing power, are even causing some to question the existence of an Orthodox crusade. I, of course, put down such rumors as absurd where possible.

May God and the Patriarch guide your noble hands, my brothers in the Order!

Vissarionas ek Lesvou

BananaBob
07-11-2008, 03:45
OOC:

this supply system really sucks

I've fixed it a bit for you. :smash:

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 03:49
I've fixed it a bit for you. :smash:

OOC:

Yeah... well... I was trying to be generous...

BananaBob
07-11-2008, 04:07
Well...Um...In my opinion, not necessarily yours of course... This supply system, subjectively, has some elements that some, not all, people may possibly find, not to there tastes, of course this is just an opinion.
Its total 'poop'

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 04:12
OOC:

*sigh*

And to think I argued for SS because I wanted the shiny titles...

Boy did I get more than I bargained for...

Ramses II CP
07-11-2008, 14:17
OOC: The old man creeps out of his cave, raises his rag clad arms to the sky, and proclaims, 'I warned ye! I warned ye! Ye'll be sendin' yer armies out wi' only captains now, jest as I said!'

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 15:14
OOC:

Knowing our luck, the captains will rebel...

Cecil XIX
07-11-2008, 16:07
As far as I'm concerned, the only problem is that 'bad_logistician' isn't and antitrait of 'logisticalskill', and you can't get rid of it except with the console. I'm perfectly fine with the other aspects of the system.

Privateerkev
07-12-2008, 03:14
OOC:

Alright Cecil, I think your up for the Aleppo sally. Neither FD or Ig have mentioned who the commanding general is for the sally but I'm pretty sure it's you.

Good luck. :2thumbsup:

Privateerkev
07-12-2008, 05:18
Makedonios summons every noble in the Order to Antioch. In the great hall of the Order's chapterhouse, the Grandmaster stands with the aid of his cane.

Marshall Armatos! Well done with your victory at Aleppo! That was masterfully executed.

Now, Sergeant Nathanail, come forward.

Brother Armatos and I have decided that you will be the next Knight of the Order of St. John. I hereby grant you the province of Aleppo. Serve those people well, spread the Word, and build up the settlement to help our mission here.

Congratulations Brother Nathanail!

Privateerkev
07-12-2008, 06:13
OOC:

I just had a look at the save. Makedonios is finally free of the dreaded Pneumonia that wouldn't die. :2thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Nathanail picked up the "slave to superstition" trait which whacked 2 of his piety. I propose we take everyone but him out of Aleppo and send them to Antioch. That will leave him in Aleppo and he can build churches and recruit priests to get his piety back up.

Plus, getting everyone back to Antioch will get them in position for the war that is about to start. Adana has been taken from the Turks and we'll hit them when the war starts. Plus, Antioch is now 47% Orthodox so we should be able to resupply soon. :beam:

I'll take the save and make moves tomorrow. So, feel free to take a look at the save and let me know what you think.

Rowan
07-12-2008, 10:54
OOC: We might need to keep some BGs in Aleppo to keep order. If you are doing the moves could you move Bart to the northern river crossing as he can't make it all the way to Antioch.

Privateerkev
07-12-2008, 17:22
OOC: The peasants should help Nathanail keep order. Cecil already moved Armatos. I'll move Bart like you asked. And I'll move Aero into Antioch and Iakovos as close to Antioch as possible.

Privateerkev
07-12-2008, 18:19
OOC: I moved Bart and Iakovos to the north river crossing. And I put that small rag-tag collection of men they call an army in their stack. I moved Aero to Antioch, Mak to Cyprus to resupply, and left Nathanail in Aleppo with the peasants.

Nathanail needs to update his SOT and ask for the castle to be upgraded and for a small chapel. This will help ensure he can keep public order by himself.

BananaBob
07-13-2008, 00:11
Nathanail strides into the Order chambers. An ornate cross hangs around his neck and his hands are covered in religious rings and tokens. He wears a white robe over his red tunic and equally iconic sword is sheathed at his left.

I hereby break my oath to Makdonios, and swear an oath of fealty to Armatos
OOC: yes, this is already in the Magnaura but i figured Cecil would see this here first.

It brings me joy to finally be able to call myself a full fledged Knight of our glorious Order!

Cecil XIX
07-13-2008, 00:13
I accept your oath.

Privateerkev
07-13-2008, 09:38
For paperwork purposes, I accept that Nathanail has broken his oath with me. This act has my full permission and blessing. Congratulations to Armatos for his promotion to Domestikos.

OOC: TC has made clear that when a vassal breaks from a lord, the lord needs to make clear if it was sanctioned or unsanctioned.

Ramses II CP
07-16-2008, 15:03
Vissarionas ek Lesvou returns at last to the chambers of the Order of St. John. After so long an absence he has grown into a tanned and confident young man. There is something else as well, something that perhaps only a warrior monk could recognize; the light of fervency shines out of Vissa's eyes.

Immediately on entering Vissa greets his brothers and goes in haste to the chapel to pray. Questions will evidently have to wait.

TinCow
07-16-2008, 15:06
OOC: TC has made clear that when a vassal breaks from a lord, the lord needs to make clear if it was sanctioned or unsanctioned.

OOC: For practicality, silence will be presumed to be sanctioning the break. The Lord only needs to speak up if it is unsanctioned. This is simply because the vast majority are sanctioned, so it saves us all some chores.

Privateerkev
07-16-2008, 15:07
When Vissa gets done from praying, the Grandmaster is waiting in the main chambers for him.

Vissa!

It's good to see you!

Makedonios walks up and warmly clasps arms with Vissa.

You look good!

Please tell me all about what happened.

Ramses II CP
07-16-2008, 15:32
Returning from the chapel Vissa's eyes shine brightly, and it is clear that he feels a great weight has been lifted from him. Vissa executes his usual textbook salute with a snap before speaking.

My Lord it is a pleasure to see you again after so long! My journey has been far more extensive and consuming than even I expected. I spent all of that time in Cairo, as you have surely heard, and the city is one of wonders, though full of infidels. My goal there was simple: To find a way into the power structure and discover what I could of the Caliph's intent.

As has been revealed, his intentions are black with regard to Orthodoxy, and Christianity as a whole. I must say I found the people of Cairo to be a cheerful and generally healthy lot, accomodating of strangers and with few obvious drunkards or otherwise dissolute members of the society. Islam's prohibition on alcohol has much to commend in it, though there are tolerated exceptions and... other substances which destroy a man's soul.

Oh! Before I forget, I have returned with a few small gifts.

Vissarionas fetches a series of small wooden boxes out of his travel bag, presenting five of them to the Grandmaster and one each to his brothers.

The box with the green design on top is a strange form of tea the Muslims favor, it brews very dark in boiling water, and there is a kind of reed net in the top to filter out the ground up bits. It serves remarkably to awaken the senses! (OOC This is the one everyone got.)

These other boxes, Grandmaster, are unusual spices and seasonings popular in the Muslim world. I have only heard their names in Arabic, so I cannot say what we might call them here in the west.

I have one more gift, for the library. It is in Arabic, which I have learned to muddle through somewhat, but I am told it is a precious thing, hand copied from a masterwork over a hundred years old.

Here Vissarionas produces a book bound in leather with a reddish cast, the pages of good quality papyrus, with a large Arabic title on the cover. I'll render it as best I can: Kanza al-fawa'id fi tanwi' al-mawa'id.

After the presentation of these gifts Vissa falls silent, perhaps lost in some recollection of the gathering of these gifts.

Privateerkev
07-16-2008, 16:15
Makedonios smiles widely.

Ah Sergeant, you were on a dangerous mission and did not have to bring gifts. Never-the-less, I am honored you did. Thank you.

He gives a head nod to the Sergeant.

I look forward to trying some of this fine tea.

Dafuge
07-16-2008, 17:13
Here do I swear feality and service to the Order of St. John, and to the Grandmaster Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to come and to go, in need or plent, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, untill death takes me or the world end, I swear and unbinding oath. So say I Stavrer ek Arasidthou.

Privateerkev
07-16-2008, 17:15
I accept Sergeant Stavrer. Stand and be recoginized!

I had heard you were coming. It seems the Crusade has spurred many good men like yourself to get involved with politics.

Come! Let us adjourn to the Order's private chambers and we will get you up to speed on current events.

Dafuge
07-16-2008, 17:16
OOC Woops messed up my name, I'll do it again,

Here do I swear feality and service to the Order of St. John, and to the Grandmaster Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to come and to go, in need or plent, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, untill death takes me or the world end, I swear and unbinding oath. So say I Stavrer ek Amarinthou.

Privateerkev
07-16-2008, 17:18
OOC:

I think it was close enough. :2thumbsup:

Also, I PM'd TC to see if he'll allow this oath swearing in the beginning of the senate session. If he doesn't allow it, then it technically won't take affect until the senate session is over. But for IC purposes, we'll act as if it was allowed.

Dafuge
07-16-2008, 17:21
OOC: Crap completelty messed it up, wish I could edit.

Stavrer walked slowly through the magnificent wooden doors of the Order. He took off his helmet and basked in the humidty of Asia. Slowly he walked forward, and entered a great room. He saw the Grandmaster near by, he walked up to him and kneeled. He held this postition for a minute before getting up and taking a seat next to Makedonios.

'Greetings Grandmaster, I am interested in the current events of the Order and Empire, it would be a please to hear them from you.'

Privateerkev
07-16-2008, 17:23
Of course Sergeant, like I said, let us adjourn to the Order's meeting place. We'll fill you in on everything.

Dafuge
07-16-2008, 17:27
I will gather my stuff and head there now.

Privateerkev
07-16-2008, 17:35
OOC:

TC just made clear that the "oath" is not valid at this time. We don't allow the feudal chains to change during senate sessions. However, we'll just RP as if it already happened. Just do it again when the voting ends. :beam:

Privateerkev
07-22-2008, 16:29
OOC:

KP, Since TC has put Stavros in the feudal chain in the Senate Library, we'll just assume you don't have to re-swear once the Senate session is over. :beam:

ULC
07-23-2008, 04:22
I hereby break my Oath to Grandmaster Makdonios, and swear an Oath of Fealty to Brother Nathanail.

Privateerkev
07-23-2008, 04:27
After the two battles for Adana, Makedonios walks into his command tent with dented armor and dust coating his usually clean cape. Iakovos is summoned to him.

Sergeant Iakovos!

That was very well done! You fought well and saved my hide a few times.

The other Knights and I have been talking about you. Because of your service to the Order, and your decision to stay behind and protect the people, we have decided to make you our next Knight. I am here by giving you Adana. Serve the people well, protect them, and build up the settlement so it can aid us in our Holy Mission. And as a point of bureaucracy, I accept your breaking of your oath to me with my full blessings.

I hereby Knight thee Brother Iakovos!

Come! Let us celebrate!

BananaBob
07-23-2008, 16:03
And I accept your vow, Iakovos.

Privateerkev
07-24-2008, 19:07
Iakovos, I require you to apologize to the Emperor and the whole Senate for your outburst. Whether you apologize to Kantakouzinos is up to you. But your actions were conduct unbecoming. I expect better out of you.

And Stavros, I saw you try to stomp on Kantakouzinos's head. Consider yourself warned. I better not see that again.

Dafuge
07-24-2008, 20:17
I apologize fully Grandmaster. Rage overtook me and I did not control myself, I take whatever punishment you give me.

Privateerkev
07-24-2008, 20:23
You didn't make contact and it seems no one noticed. I simply do not want to see it again.

There will be no punishment but I ask that you attempt to combat these fools with words, instead of fists, when your in the Magnaura.

Like I told Iakovos, you are better than that idiot Kantakouzinos, and he is simply not worth your time. You have much better things to do, like go on Crusade to save innocent lives.

Privateerkev
08-04-2008, 06:37
I'd like to announce that Iakovos Kallipoleos is planning on getting married this year. As per our Charter, he is hereby a Sergeant. Being a Knight requires a certain commitment to the Order and the Lord that is incompatible with marriage. Iakovos has found new priorities in life and I wish him all the best.

He is still a member of this Order, just at a different capacity. He retains Adana in recognition for his faithful service to the Order.

If anyone has any questions about this, they may ask myself or Iakovos.

OOC: The avatar isn't getting "married" in the M2TW game but the character is getting married. So, for IC purposes, Iakovos is now married to Veronica.

Privateerkev
08-26-2008, 02:22
Makedonios finally leaves his room. With the aid of a cane, he slowly walks into the great hall. His hair is disheveled and he is in dirty robes. He hobbles over to the main wall where the charter and roll is. He looks at the roll with a pained expression. His hand darts into his belt and he pulls out a dagger. His guards get alert but don't move. Looking at Iakovos's name for a long moment, Makedonios peels the name off of the wall and moves it to a new spot. He drops the knife on the floor and turns around.

Scribes! Take this down...

I hereby grant Adana to Vartholomaios Ksiros. I ask that he break his oath of fealty with me and swear to Armatos ek Naksou.

Makedonios heads back into his room and he is not seen for days.

Rowan
08-26-2008, 08:27
Vartholomaios enters the Chamber. There are dark casts under his eyes. He is clearly expecting to see some of his brothers here but the hall is empty except for a couple of servants and scribes. Staring at the parchments on the wall he shakes his head up as if to clear his thoughts and then intones loudly and clearly.

I hereby break my oath to Makedonios Ksanthopoulos and swear a new oath to Armatos ek Naksou.

Dropping his head again the whisper is too silent to be heard even a few feet away.

I will keep the castle safe in your honour, my friend and brother.

Privateerkev
08-26-2008, 21:44
Makedonios walks into the great hall of the Chapterhouse. He is cleaned up and looks to be in a slightly less dark mood than he has been in the past few weeks.

Sergeant Vartholomaios,

Marshall Armatos and I have made a decision. Since Brother Nathanail is absent, the decision is up to us. You are now a full Knight of the Order of St. John.

It is long overdue. You have been with us from the beginning and your decades of service has not gone unnoticed.

Congratulations Brother Vartholomaios!

Cecil XIX
08-26-2008, 22:50
Gentlemen! The Jihad Army wrecked much damage upon us, but is a Jihad arm no more. I must give considerable praise to Nathanail, who despite losing his entire bodyguard fought with exceptional valor. It was he who slew the Emir of Mecca as well as many of his bodyguards.

Rowan
08-27-2008, 05:39
Grandmaster, brothers. I thank you.

Privateerkev
08-27-2008, 16:06
Makedonios walks into the great hall and approaches the wall with parchments on it. He sees the dagger he dropped weeks ago. He pulls out the letter that the Caesar sent Pavlos and Kalameteros and tacks it to the wall with the dagger.

All of Apionnas's inane chatter is serving to distract from the real matter at hand. It's not every day we discover that someone is plotting our death. Let us keep the Caesar's letter up here as a reminder of his hatred and fear.

Greetings, dear friends.

I will soon ascend to the throne. The Order have insulted me and the royal family flagrantly and yet we have been powerless to bring them to account.

What is more, the Order have shown themselves increasingly disloyal as a whole.

For the good and stability of both the empire and the nobles, I have a proposal I wish to offer to the both of you.

It is simply this:

As soon as I ascend to throne, we three form a Triumvirate. The Order's insults are a legitimate and just causus belli for us to declare them traitors and their land confiscated. Once we have defeated them, we shall be able to redistribute the land of the empire amongst ourselves. If the independent nobles, such as Methodios and Micail remain out of the conflict, then they shall keep their land. If they cast their lot with the Order, then their land shall be forfeit too.

As a result, the Asteri would control the western half of the Empire, the Komnenodoukai the East, and the Imperial family the centre plus all the patriarchates.

This would require some exchanging of land between House Asteri and House Komnenodoukai, but I'm sure negotiations could be entered into.

Imperial Provinces:
Constantinople
Rome
Nicaea
Dardanellia
Antioch
Jerusalem
Alexandria

House Asteri:

Athens
Thessalonica
Corinth
Arta
Dyracchion
Belgrade
Bucharest
Rhodes
Zagreb
Sofia

House Komnenodoukai:

Sinop
Caesarea
Smyrna
Adana
Tblisi
Yerevan
Nicosia
Diyarbakir
Aleppo

We would then control the Magnaura and be able to propose legislation which would change the structure of the empire.

War may only be declared by the Basileus.
All new provinces are at the disposal of the Basileus.
The cities of Rome and Constantinople can never be held by anyone but the Basileus.
The Basileus army consists of a minimum of 8 infantry units, 2 missile units, 2 heavy cavalry units, and two artillery units.
The Imperial Fleet is under the command of the Basileus.
The Imperial Fleet consists of a minimum of 8 ships.
The Caesar’s army consists of a minimum of 6 infantry units, 2 missile units, 2 heavy cavalry units, and two artillery units.
A member of the House Asteri is always the Lord High Chancellor
A member of the House Komnenodoukai is always the Lord High Steward
The Caesar always holds the Privy Seal.
The leaders of the Asteri and Komnenodoukai are on the Basileus’ Privy Council along with the Caesar.
Constantinople alone can recruit Varangian Guards.
The House Asteri commands the Western Legion, which consists of 12 infantry units, 2 missile units, 3 cavalry units, and 2 artillery units.
The House Komnenodoukai commands the Eastern Legion, which consists of 12 infantry units, 2 missile units, 3 cavalry units, and 2 artillery units.

What say you, my loyal friends?

Ioannis Komnenos,
Caesar of the Romans.

OOC: This will go up on the OP as well. I'm taking this letter as a "badge of honor." :clown:

Cecil XIX
08-27-2008, 16:58
Tch. The Caesar sets a wide definition for treason, doesn't he?

Privateerkev
08-27-2008, 17:01
Yes, if you don't jam your nose deeply and intensely into his rectum at all hours of the night, you are indeed guilty of treason.

Privateerkev
08-28-2008, 19:09
Sergeant Vissa,

Marshall Armato, Brother Bart, and I have decided to make you a full Knight of the Order of St. John in recognition for your years of faithful service.

I ask that you break your oath of fealty with me and swear to Vartholomaios.

Congratulations Brother Vissa!

Ramses II CP
08-28-2008, 19:57
Thank you Grandmaster, I am honored!

I hereby break my vow to Makedonios Ksanthopoulos and swear a new oath of fealty to Vartholomaios Ksiros.

Rowan
08-28-2008, 20:13
It is a great honor to accept the oath of such a stalwart man and an unswerving defender of the faith! Welcome, brother!

Ibn-Khaldun
09-11-2008, 16:44
Theo walks into the room and declares..

I, Theophylaktos Petzeas, hereby swear an Oath of Fealty to Makedonios Ksanthopoulos!

Quite amused that he said his name right he stands aside to wait Mak's response..

Privateerkev
09-11-2008, 16:46
I accept. Welcome Sergeant.

Follow me and we'll get you caught up.

Privateerkev
09-14-2008, 17:17
Sergeant Stavros,

Come forward.

Because of your years of loyal service, the other Knights and I have decided to make you our next Knight. A Knight needs land so I hereby give Tortosa to Stavros.

Congratulations Brother Stavros, you have earned it.

Dafuge
09-14-2008, 20:08
Stavros bows infront of the Grandmaster.

I thankyou so much.

Privateerkev
09-15-2008, 04:01
Members of the Order,

It has been a long journey. And it has been a hard one. I first conceived of the Order not long after Manzikert. Our defeat there made me realize we needed a group who could defend the Holy Land and spread the Word.

I inherited Nicosia through my family and a plan formed. A Charter was written that would codify a group who would be up to the Holy Task. I sent letters out to like-minded men and got our first Sergeants. The first Senate Session was a challenge. I learned that many saw the Order as a threat to their own plans. Legislation was proposed that would keep us from fulfilling our duty.

Through a lot of hard work, legislation, yelling in the Senate, politicking, and some luck, the Emperor allowed us to sail over to Antioch. The city was taken but not without tragedy. Slowly, we expanded throughout the Levant despite supply problems, lack of army units, and neglect.

A rebellion flared up through the Empire and we were the first to re-secure our area. A Crusade was called and we sent more members than any House. A Jihad was called against the Empire in response and we have fought more Jihad armies than anybody.

But despite the enemies without, we have also learned about the enemies within. We suffered from criminal neglect from our Caesar when he illegally and immorally denied us our rightful armies in a time of war. And we uncovered a plot by this same criminal to declare war on us and kill us all. Together, as we always have, we voted as a brotherhood and made it much more difficult for this evil plot to come to fruition.

Another enemy within we have fought is the evil Organization. Like cowards in the dark, they took one of us from this world. Iakovos exemplified what it was to be in the Order. But like we always have, we suffered that loss together and recruited new members.

Finally, we have defeated the first "faction" in the known world in these times. The Templar thought we were weak. They struck when we were spread out and had just lost the province of Adana. But, like all of our enemies, they underestimated us.

For our strength comes not in our armies or castles. It comes from our Brotherhood. For we are all Brothers. Forged through the hot crucible of battle. We have all saved each other's lives more times than we can count. The other Houses have plotted, schemed, and stolen land from each other. But the Order has stood as a cohesive force for good.

But there comes a time when one must take medium-term gain and turn it into long-term gain. For the Order to survive as a long-term force for good, there must be changes. While I was the obvious choice to create the Order and get it started, I believe someone new should usher us into the next phase.

With this in mind, I enthusiastically pass the torch on to my second-in-command, Marshall Armatos. While fire-breathing rhetoric and blunt stubbornness were needed in the early Senate Sessions to get us started, his even temper and softer touch will guarantee that the Order will continue to do it's good work through the generations.

I hereby break Marshall Armatos from his oath to me. And I now swear an oath of fealty to Grandmaster Armatos.

I also hereby give Grandmaster Armatos the province of Dongola.

I brought forth the proposal to pass on the torch to a new Grandmaster and the Knights of the Order of St. John have supported this decision. I will serve the Order, as I always have, for the rest of my life. It will simply just be in a different capacity.

With the warmest and sincerest of regards,

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos,
Knight of the Order of St. John

TinCow
09-17-2008, 20:39
Note: I am updating the Library and Bananabob is now officially inactive. Aleppo is hereby given to Armatos ek Naksou (Cecil XIX) in accordance with the rules. There is no room to add Aleppo to Armatos' retinue.

Privateerkev
09-17-2008, 20:43
Note: I am updating the Library and Bananabob is now officially inactive. Aleppo is hereby given to Armatos ek Naksou (Cecil XIX) in accordance with the rules. There is no room to add Aleppo to Armatos' retinue.

Since BB has only missed one real vote, can we give him until the end of this session's voting? I'll shoot him an email and hope he gets it while he is at work.

TinCow
09-17-2008, 20:44
Sure, he won't technically lose it until he misses this coming vote, but he hasn't logged onto the Org in over a month, so I think the odds of him returning are slim.

Privateerkev
09-17-2008, 20:46
Sure, he won't technically lose it until he misses this coming vote, but he hasn't logged onto the Org in over a month, so I think the odds of him returning are slim.

Alright, I just shot him the email. He doesn't have internet at home but he can get email while at work. We'll see if he sees it in time.

Him and I have been talking a little. He wants to come back but has been busy and has lacked internet access.

Rowan
09-18-2008, 19:19
Vartholomaios Ksiros walks into the Order chambers. Usually they are full of life with servants and orderlies scurrying about but now they are silent. He walks to the center of the room and announces

In the absence of Grandmaster Armatos I am taking over the administrative duties of the Order. When the Grandmaster returns he shall review all my actions in this capacity and judge me accordingly.

Few servants have entered the hall at the sound of his voice. Vartholomaios begins issuing them orders and slowly a little of the former activity returns to the room.

OOC: Cecil mentioned on the (now possibly defunct) Order private board that he hasn't been able to connect to .org for a while.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-19-2008, 00:42
Vartholomaios Ksiros, please tell me.. is the Order falling apart?
I have heard stories about something like that.. is this true?

Theo looks disappointed..

Rowan
09-19-2008, 07:07
Vartholomaios looks up from his papers.

Theo, the Order is not falling apart. At least not yet. The times are tough but we must persevere.