PDA

View Full Version : LotR - House of Asteri

Zim
05-30-2008, 22:56
House of Asteri

https://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4563/shieldsunblack2ao7.png (https://imageshack.us)
The House of Asteri started in meetings in the dining hall of Kosmas Mavrozomis’ estate in Athens, born of heated political discussions between the Comes and his friends. There they meet still. If you enter you will find a spacious hall, the walls covered in tapestries depicting famous battles spanning from Thermopylae to the Battle of Kleidion. About every 15 paces stands a statue in the style of Classical Greece, some worn with age, others in such perfect that they were likely well made copies. The bulk of the Hall is taken up by large table, upon which sits a feast almost fit for an emperor. It is seated at this table that you may find the members of the House of Asteri, drinking wine and still discussing the politics of the Empire. You may even find Kosmas himself at the head of table, ready to greet you. Guests of noble stature are always welcome at his table, although non-House members are asked to be polite to the regulars.

At the end of the table opposite of Kosmas' seat you find a scroll containing a roster of House members. They are familiar names, mostly senators, although next to each is an odd nickname.

-Antypatos Ioannis Kalameteros (deguerra)
-Hypatos Hypatios Machonios (Elite Ferret)
-Domestikos Zigavinos Vasilakios (rossahh)
-Strator Nevoulos ek Philadelphias (Smowz)
-Strator Kosmas Mavrozomis (Zim)
-Comes Anastasios Neokaisareitis (The Lemongate)
-Efstathios Laskaris (Ibn-Khaldun)

Ferret
05-30-2008, 22:59
I hereby swear fealty to Strator Ioannis Kalameteros

deguerra
05-31-2008, 01:38
I hereby gratefully accept Hypatios Machonios' oath of fealty, and in turn swear fealty to Comes Kosmas Mavrozomis

Ιωάννης Καλαμετερoς

Zim
05-31-2008, 01:40
I gladly accept Ioannis Kalameteros' oath of fealty, and welcome my fellow House members to this hall.

rossahh
05-31-2008, 01:56
I hereby swear an oath fealty to Hypatios Machonios.

Askthepizzaguy
05-31-2008, 02:48
A weary knight wanders into the hall.

I am Efstratios Monomachos, knight of the Roman Empire, a veteran of wars past against the rebellious traitors of the region.

I seek lands to call my own, and a lord to serve. Would anyone here have use of a nobleman? I have a small group of war veterans I used to command who now serve as my loyal bodyguard. We are skilled in battle and ready to fight against the enemies of the Empire.

I don't have any money or other troops to contribute, but I bring experience and strong arms. I am ready to lead, and to follow.

Who desires my sword? Name your price.

OOC- I am willing to contribute to other's quests for land, but until I have my own land and soldiers I will not risk my avatar under anyone else's direct command but my own. The more soldiers I command, the more risks I am willing to take for my master.

Kagemusha
05-31-2008, 03:39
So what does this house own?

Zim
05-31-2008, 03:47
Athens right now.

I'd prefer OOC statements in this thread be stuck in spoilers, please. As for your statement, we've all read the rules, and understand them quite well. Thank you :yes:

So what does this house own?

OOC: fAMILY MEMBERS DONT MEAN SQUAT NECESSARILY IN THIS GAME. Land will be far more important then place in the family tree.

deguerra
05-31-2008, 03:55
If the most noble Ioannis Kantakouzinos wishes to draw attention to the fact that the Empire is currently but a shade of its former glory, then that point is duly noted. Perhaps he will one day realize that the best course of action in that case is to go and conquer the heathen Turks, not conquer our ears with problems we are well aware of.

loαννις Καλαμετερoς

Zim
05-31-2008, 09:23
Kosmas smiles to the newcomers. I welcome you all, even our odd friend Senator Kantakouzinos.

Efstratios Monomachos, I do believe there is a man planning on joining the House who might have need of your services. However, I must warn you that the House is still small in resources, a mere seed of something that will become great. It is entirely possible that you may have to fight alongside or even under a fellow House member before we can provide you with soldiers. Whether that condition is too hard to accept or not is up to you. :bow:

Ferret
05-31-2008, 09:50
I hereby swear fealty to Hypatios Machonios.

Of course I accept.

edit:OOC: Isn't the title meant to be 'House of the Asteri', otherwise it doesn't make sense...

Kagemusha
05-31-2008, 17:31
Ioannis Kantakouzinos marches in the building with gray face and confused expression n his face.

"Gentlemen. I believe last nights banquet might have been bit too much for me. It seems my last coherent thought was the clear need of land and in my drunken state i decided to come ask if you had any, after i stumbled upon your esteemed building. Social drinking is a trait which can get out from control, specially in metropol like our Capital is, Im sorry for causing inconvenience."

Zim
05-31-2008, 17:45
Thank you four your courtesy, Ioannis Kantakouzinos.

Gentlemen, I have urgent business to attend to but I shall return in two days. In my absence, Ioannis Kalameteros will head the House fo Asteri.

Askthepizzaguy
06-01-2008, 01:17
Efstratios Monomachos sits quietly, reading the letters he has received from many noblemen requesting his services.

"HAH!" he snorted as he read one of the letters. He sets those letters aside, and stands up to announce:

I have decided to align myself with the House of the Asteri, for now. I will swear whatever oath of fealty you wish, although I should preface that oath with a minor note: I may decide later on down the line to surrender my arms and territories to the House and become a hired mercenary.

Nothing that I gain from the House of the Asteri will come with me. My services will expand your House and bring you wealth, arms, and title, and the only reward I seek is the right to command my own forces, whenever possible. I've spoken with two members of the House and they find permission to command the troops on the field to be an acceptible condition.

If I should serve my House well, I would ask my lords who will profit much from my work to serve as a good reference, should I ever seek employment elsewhere. Should my contract expire with the House of the Asteri, I will grant my lords plenty of notice and turn over command of their armies, lands, and whatever other materiale to my feudal lord.

Being a soldier, a mercenary general, I do not expect to be positioned high on the chain of command. I will accept employment from Anastasios Neokaisareitis, himself a servant of our lord Kosmas Mavrozomis.

OOC- in order for it to be more realistic retaining command on the battlefield, I will need command stars. This means that those of us who have higher command rating may serve as reinforcements, which actually makes them safer anyway, because I'll still control them and they won't rout even if my general dies, they have their own command so therefore my units' morale doesn't affect them. If it looks like I will lose for some reason I can always make them flee without being harmed. They will still travel with the main army for protection.

If these terms are acceptible to my Lords of the Asteri, my sword is yours. Name your target.

(send me the target privately)

The Lemongate
06-01-2008, 02:34
Hmmph! I, Anastasios Neokaisareitis swear fealty to Zigavinos Vasilakios...

And I retain the services of Efstratios Monomachos. My friend, God willing, we will accomplish great things.

rossahh
06-01-2008, 06:02
I accept the oath of Anastasios. May his word be as true as his sword.

pevergreen
06-01-2008, 06:07
Michail walks through the shadows, noting the rather impressive statues.
Coming across no one he simply leaves a note on a table, and dissapears outside, not being seen. The note reads:

"Contact Michail, and you may gain an ally."

I thought that would be more fun and fit in with my guy more than a PM.

Smowz
06-01-2008, 10:49
After a long ride from Anatolia, the nobleman Nevoulos ek Philadelphias arrives in Athens. The young man fresh from a recent pilgrimage of sorts to Constinantinople walks in wearing a rather tattered robe worn from the several days travel. A native of these parts Nevoulos gasps with stunned surprise at the exquisite designs of the magnificent tapestries and statues.

With as much granduer as he can muster Nevoulos strides into the hall, standing astride a bench, he clears his throuat loudly and has the following to say

I return a changed man from two years serving out in frontier lands to the East.
The Turks to the east are a grave threat to Rome and I have survived some of their attacks with mixed success. I am a man who grew up in these parts, when I left I confess I knew little of the politics and intrigue of the empire. I know now the path I must take - the glories of Rome must be reborn and here I notice the men around me whom can do such a thing.

I therefore wish to pledge myself and my loyal guard to the services of the House of Asteni.

pevergreen
06-01-2008, 11:06
Michail notes the newcomer to the House of Asteri, raising an eyebrow in interest. Staying in the shadows, he walks slowly around the man, appraising him. Obviously something triggers in his mind, as Michail steps forwards and initiates a conversation with the frontier general, gleaning that his name is Nevoulos. With a satisfied half-smile, Michail walks off to find a mug of mead, to ponder the possibilities of service, newcomers and his own fate...

deguerra
06-01-2008, 11:35
Nevoulos ! May I extend a warm welcome to you, and say that I would be honoured to have you in our house.

I will leave the formalities for Comes Kosmas, but in the meantime expect a private message from me.

Ferret
06-01-2008, 17:49
Efstratios Monomachos sits quietly, reading the letters he has received from many noblemen requesting his services.

"HAH!" he snorted as he read one of the letters. He sets those letters aside, and stands up to announce:

I have decided to align myself with the House of the Asteri, for now. I will swear whatever oath of fealty you wish, although I should preface that oath with a minor note: I may decide later on down the line to surrender my arms and territories to the House and become a hired mercenary.

Nothing that I gain from the House of the Asteri will come with me. My services will expand your House and bring you wealth, arms, and title, and the only reward I seek is the right to command my own forces, whenever possible. I've spoken with two members of the House and they find permission to command the troops on the field to be an acceptible condition.

If I should serve my House well, I would ask my lords who will profit much from my work to serve as a good reference, should I ever seek employment elsewhere. Should my contract expire with the House of the Asteri, I will grant my lords plenty of notice and turn over command of their armies, lands, and whatever other materiale to my feudal lord.

Being a soldier, a mercenary general, I do not expect to be positioned high on the chain of command. I will accept employment from Anastasios Neokaisareitis, himself a servant of our lord Kosmas Mavrozomis.

OOC- in order for it to be more realistic retaining command on the battlefield, I will need command stars. This means that those of us who have higher command rating may serve as reinforcements, which actually makes them safer anyway, because I'll still control them and they won't rout even if my general dies, they have their own command so therefore my units' morale doesn't affect them. If it looks like I will lose for some reason I can always make them flee without being harmed. They will still travel with the main army for protection.

If these terms are acceptible to my Lords of the Asteri, my sword is yours. Name your target.

(send me the target privately)

Hypatios ignores the man's apparent ramblings at first but after he hears the outrageous speech he cannot contain his loud laughter.

Of course you can retain command of your own forces my lad! You'll just have to make sure that your orders match the orders of the man in command of the army!

I am glad you at least see sense in the Feudal Chain, if you decide to join you will be placed at the bottom and hold the privileges of that rank, which ,I'm afraid, does not include command of any army. If you truly wish to be given such great responsibility then you will first have to prove your skills in battle and loyalty to the House by serving the Comes under his command (or the command of the General he appoints) and by looking after any settlement you are considered worthy to govern.

I am sorry to disappoint you but you cannot storm in here and demand to control our armies and be given wild targets to heroically combat like the Greeks of ancient mythology. For your information this House already holds a Head of the Military and as far as I can see Strator Kalameteros is a far more worthy man to hold that position than yourself. Though of course I am willing to see you prove me wrong. If not I am sure you can find employment elsewhere, the Empire is a large place after all.

Smowz
06-01-2008, 22:05
After long discussions with Ioannis about some of the protocol of the house Nevoulos retreats to a small room for prayer and contiplation of his situation.

There is much to be mused, in his time in the East he had made friends that had now politically formed a new order. However he felt somewhat honour bound to at least return home and contribute toward rebuilding there. The rather mixed crowd that he has met here somewhat dismays and confuses Nevoulos. He is unsure in which direction the house is being led and is concerned with some of the attitudes of the fellows around.

Nevoulos scolds himself not to judge a book by its cover and hopes to evaluate his comrades soon on the battlefield where true compainship can be realised.

Meanwhile news has arrived that a senatorial session has been called in Constantinople.

Nevoulos sighs to himself, another occasion of regal importance, politics and bureaucracy. He wonders how he will conduct himself at such an event of high importance and ceremony. He feels barely part of this new house and it seems so shame on his bodyguard whom he was looking forward to showing the benefits of a good greek life. Some of his hardy servents had been plucked from the streets of the great city and he feared another return would send the wrong message.

Still it is all part of a noblemans lot and he feels he must show solidarity for the cause of his home. He calls in his most loyal retinue and tells him that he is to remain with much of the guard and to call on two of his longest serving servants to prepare themselves for the journey back to the capital.

Nevoulos then sets his mind to his conduct in the city itself, he muses on earlier discussions with the young Michail a young sturdy pup whom he recognized much of himself in some 4 years earlier. He bemoaned the politics and the chatter and he wondered aloud how he would cope with such a purpose. With a chuckle Nevoulos suddenly felt more comfortable with his plight realizing that many would be in the same boat as him.

It was then that the servents arrived with suitable robes - simple and plain - no need to attempt to exhibition himself on his first arrival to such a place. Without further ado Nevoulos mounted his horse and rode with his two servents into the sunset.

Ferret
06-01-2008, 22:13
Hypatios smiles widely.

Ah Nevoulos! Kosmas has spoken highly of you, it is good to finally meet the man I have heard so much about. Tell me how are you finding life in the Western edge of the Empire? I hear the East is very different indeed. Please excuse my rage at the madman over there, not all understand Feudal structure as well as you and me.

Askthepizzaguy
06-02-2008, 00:52
Efstratios hears of the words spoken in his absence from the other members of the House.

Hypatios would seem to disagree with some of his loyal knights as to who should retain command of the army, which is fine. Should he wish to command the forces in battle himself and risk his neck, that's his noble right.

I couldn't be more disinterested in politics, and I'm in no position to argue. So my forces will serve, reluctantly, as heavy cavalry, until such time as a command position becomes available, or my services are retained by another master.

With that, Efstratios leaves the House, in search of something.

Zim
06-03-2008, 05:37
Hello,
I have returned from my errand. I would like to thank Ioannis Kalameteros for watching the House while I was away. I am glad to see some new faces in here, and welcome all new members, as well as our guest Michail. The House roster will be updated within the day. :bow:

pevergreen
06-03-2008, 07:34
Indeed! I wait upon a message from you Kosmas, I was promised one.

Zim
06-03-2008, 07:40
For give me Michail, it has bee hard work catching up on what has happened while I was away*. I will see to that message for you immediately.

* Especially while stuck on a dial-up connection. :furious3:

pevergreen
06-03-2008, 07:45
Thank you Kosmas.

I do however, have a point to make to my soon allies. The Order. They have numbers, we need to band together.

I propose one of two edict ideas:

1. something delaying how fast the order can expand
2. going for the immediate surroundings of us, Arta and Durazzo.

I have no military power here yet, what troops do we have at our disposal.

I put myself forward to lead the fight towards Arta.

Askthepizzaguy
06-03-2008, 07:49
If we begin attempting to make edicts which hinder other areas of the empire, even our rival houses, we could set a precedent which will hinder our own efforts.

We are in the west, a superior position over the east. Let the East have what they want, and let the West have what they want.

Should we start by making enemies of our own people, or friends?

-Efstratios

pevergreen
06-03-2008, 08:04
True Efstratios, you may not be the man you claim to be...

I have, however proposed Edict 1.7. I do suggest everyone take a look, as it benefits all who reside in the House of Asteri.

Zim
06-03-2008, 10:27
Fellow House members, I believe it is time we discuss the edicts proposed in the Senate.

Here are my own opinions on them:

Edict 1.1 I am not sure about. It seems an odd thing to make a law for, as we all have pledged our loyalty to the Emperor, or we wouldn't be Senators. It is up to each of us to individually decide whether to support this edict.

Edict 1.2 I support wholeheartedly. The empire needs to grow to face it's enemies. Our House in particular is well situated to serve the Empire by taking Rhodes and Smyrna.

Edict 1.3 I support this Edict strongly as well, but that is a personal matter of piety.

Edict 1.4 I would like the House to support this one as much as 1.2 Antioch remains a great city, and was a seat of a Patriarch. It could easily be in Roman hands again, and should be.

Edict 1.5 I support this one as well, although it would be faster were we given temporary use of the navy in the Aegean sea than to build a new port at Athens for new ships or rely on a single mercenary ship.

Edict 1.6 A project of two of our House members, I believe we should support this.

Edict 1.7 This one is tempting, giving one province to our friend Michail and one to a member of our House, however I believe House Tagamata has an especially strong interest in Arta. While the attempt of one of their members to push the Order into expanding in our direction was vexing, it is not so that I would attempt to take their only easy avenue of expansion. I cannot ask my House to support this Edict.

I welcome discussion on any of the recommendations I have made.

The Lemongate
06-03-2008, 12:43
I doubt few people will vote for edict 1.6.

They will rather wait until the Normans are on our own shores before realizing it would take 4 or 6 boats to bring an army of decent size into Italy. And by that time we will not have the necessary resources to fight such a war and will be forced to appease them. If we already had a presence in Italy however, things would be different. And if that presence just happened to include generals of any sort of skill, it would take little over 500 men to completely reduce the Normans.

And all it would've taken to start with is a single ship and a single unit of spearmen...

I'm not even sure I will move to Durazzo. I might simply stay in Constantinople and sulk.

deguerra
06-03-2008, 15:16
Now where is your fighting spirit? Politics is not that different from the battlefield, in order to succeed, one requires patience and perseverance. Do not discount and edict until the votes are in!

The Lemongate
06-03-2008, 15:37
I plead irreconcilable differences with most parties in the Senate.

And I rest my case.

Smowz
06-05-2008, 07:46
The bodyguards of Nevoulos ek Philadelphius are packing their things ready to leave the house.

Their orders received a few hours ago perplexes and disappoints the men who were growing accustomed to the lush Greek climate. However their master had been quite urgent in his message from Constantinople, there was no place in this house for him.

Theirs was not the place to question their master, however it seems it became a matter of internal politics.

As they shuffle to the door another messenger arrives, assuming this surely cannot be for them the bodyguards shuffle past. The messenger makes an announcement.

People of the House of Asteri, Nevoulos ek Philedelphias wishes to announce this:

He will swear an oath of fealty to one Zigavinos Vasilakos of the Asteri.

With that the messanger retreats, the bodyguards are rooted to the spot stunned by the sudden and highly irregular statement. It was their understanding that their master was to swear to another man Anastasios. Confused the order was given to return their masters personal belongings and settle down once again. For how long who knew, one thing was for sure these men were happy they were not part of the political process!!!

Zim
06-05-2008, 08:22
I am pleased to see we have another new member for our House.

I also have an announcement to make. The Emperor has made his opinion on Durazzo clear. I ask that members of this House respect his wishes, whatever Edicts may be passed. I have no doubts that he will pick the right man for the job.

Askthepizzaguy
06-05-2008, 08:32
With a bow, Efstratios wishes the House of the Asteri well, as he has joined Michail's faction as second in command.

We will be your honourable allies. Do not hesitate to contact us, friends. Godspeed you to victory!

Ferret
06-05-2008, 16:47
who rated this thread 'asteri'? A new feature?

Askthepizzaguy
06-05-2008, 17:05
There's a bunch of new features if you look around. But uh... where are the USER PAGES????

Vote ATPG best user page of 2008

rossahh
06-06-2008, 08:40
I shall accept Nevoulos's oath as soon as he publicly offers it.

Smowz
06-06-2008, 21:24
Now well accustomed to the long journey between the Center of the empire and Athens, Nevoulas ek Philadelphuis has made good time on his return journey. He is eager to pass on his analysis of his time in Constinantinople and pass on news to his loyal bodyguard.

However he has one pressing matter of engagement on his mind. He has a duty to perform.

After much soul-searching and discussions with various nobleman including the highest names in the House of Asteri Comes Kosmos and Strator Anastasios. Nevoulas has found a lord to follow, in these exciting times of reawakening... he is now eager to set any lingering doubts aside.

He has some of his finest robes available at the doors entry to great halls of the Asteri and quickly moves to some side quarters to allow his servents to clean and dress him. Whilst he feels the pressing need he knows this is a moment of great importance to himself and wishes to make the right impression.

Once he is happy with his appearance Nevoulas strides into the great hall and is delighted that his lord is there with a good crowd of retainers.

Nevoulas approches Zigavinos and falls with relative grace to one knee....

My lord Strator Zigavinos Vasilakos I hereby officially swear an oath of fealty to you.

I promise to uphold with the best of my ability the chivalrous and loyal nature that you have shown. I will put all my efforts into protecting you and your interests within the house of Asteri.

Whilst we are both young I am sure we both must be looking forward to the fight to bring the Roman empire and our house to full glory.

With that he remains one knee until the formalities of the ceremonies are over, Nevoulas savors the moment it has been a long couple of weeks for the young Strator. This moment he was sure was one that would be the first step toward a many fruitful adventure.

The Lemongate
06-06-2008, 21:39
With Senator Vasilakos' permission I shall break my oath to him and swear fealty to Comes Mavrozomis.

rossahh
06-07-2008, 03:07
You have my permission Anastasios.

And you Nevoulas, stand. I accept your oath. Long may we serve the House of the Asteri together. With voting nearly concluded, soon it shall be time to actively serve the House and the Empire. I trust you are ready and willing?

The Lemongate
06-07-2008, 05:29
Then I officially swear an oath of fealty to Comes Mavrozomis.

If I understand the rules correctly, there is no problem here since it was all agreed upon. And really, this move has more to do with OOC considerations then IC ones. I don't feel like creating an IC explanations.

Ferret
06-13-2008, 15:44
Hypatios storms into the chambers.

This is ridiculous, why were there only two regiments on that boat! I was under the misconception that another two were supposed to be there to assist in the siege of Rhodes, now how is Ioannis to get into the Castle? I really see no need for 4 units of spearmen to be guarding Athens, the populations is happy and the nearest enemies are holed up in Arta, this is absurd...

he leaves muttering curses

edit: an aide walks in

I apologize, no matter how hard I try he cannot be convince that it is not possible to fit so many men onto just two ships.

Askthepizzaguy
06-14-2008, 00:50
OOC-

not to be picky, but you have to BOLD your oath swearing from now on.

Zim
06-14-2008, 01:06
OOC:

I'd like to see OOC stuff spoilered if possible, please. :bow: He forgot to use the word "oath" as well. Cursed new rules. :clown:

Smowz
06-20-2008, 22:44
Nevoulas ek Philadelephius is standing on the battlements of the castle looking over Rhodes city, he looks back at his most faithful bodyguard. His bodyguards looks betray him, his features look somewhat bitter to be still here the sight of the loss of one of his friends in the assault.

The assault itself from a logistical standpoint had been a success, indeed it was Nevoulas' segment of the assault that had made the critical breakthrough. Ioannis' original assault on the fortress had failed, as in the meantime Nevoulas' squadron had been cleverly been directed to the side the climb the wall. It was here where Nevoulas knows where his loyal troops may have questioned his order, as the spearman opened the side gates he charged his cavalry in through into the heart of the defending force.

Nevoulas chides himself, for questioning his orders now... he knows to be a good commander he must be decisive. He must also be prepared to lose some troops, even loyal long-serving ones for the good of the empire. In fact he has been busying himself in the settlement, with Ioannis resting up, readying himself to make a move across the seas to Anatolia, Nevoulas has been overseeing new constructions and the full assimilation of Rhodes into the Roman empire.

In truth over the siege much of the word had been passed on to the people on the island as whilst the garrison held on in the castle, Ioannis and Nevoulas had been passing on the word to the people of this island.

Finances had now been sent and a small church was being built on the island. In addition to this.... well time to show my mourning bodygaurd what we have won...

Nevoulas strides purposfully back inside motioning his bodygaurd in, as he walks through into the hall he is delighted to see Ioannis sitting at the table, looking healthier by the day feasting on the food. Here painstaking work has been done to replica the hall in Rhodes. The people of the island have done a fine job with tapestries, depecting great times of both the Roman empire and indeed the island of Rhodes.

On the centre of the far wall is the newest monument, two lances of fallen knights in Nevoulas' regiment that have been retrieved and decorated on placed on the far wall. Seeing this now a tear comes to both Nevoulas and his bodyguards eye, it is a suitable testament to the mens courage. Leaving his minor aside, Nevoulas joins his companion at the table.

Zim
06-23-2008, 06:48
A great feast is had at the Kosmas estate, to which not only members of House Asteri are invited, but any who wish to come. Midway through it, Kosmas raises his glass for a toast.

"I wish to congratulate all the members of our House who have been on campaign this past years. Nevoulos and Ioannis, who showed great bravery in the assault of Rhodes, Hypatios and Zigavinos for their defeat of the garrison of Smyrna in a sally, and Anastasios in his lonely trek to the northwest to take Belgrade."

"I would like to officially designate Hypatios as Comes of Rhodes and Zigavinos as Comes of Smyrna. Anastasios, of course, will be Comes of Belgrade. Again, I commend all of you for your bravery in these recent years."

Andres
06-25-2008, 15:43
Savvas ek Militou enters the Kosmas estate. Apart from the seemingly more expensive clothes and a slightly darker tan, he hadn't changed much since the last Senate session.

"I just got back from Arta and heard there was a party going on over here. Thanks for the invitation, dear Kosmas Mavrozomis," Savvas said and he took a goblet of wine.

"I congratulate House Asteri on their many victories during the past campaign."

Savvas lifts the goblet and looks at Kosmas Mavrozomis.

"To House Asteri!"

Savvas drinks.

Smowz
06-25-2008, 18:18
In strides Nevoulas ek Philadelphius - having grown out a little in his campaign to subdue and educate the populace of Rhodes - ready to join the celebration.

Usually an understated man, Nevoulas surprises by raising a glass and joining Savvas and Kosmas in the celebrations.

These victories have been hard earned gentlemen I will enjoy a some time of decadance with my fellow Romans.

In truth Nevoulas is unsteady about the coming week in which he knows he will have to travel to the Capitol and sit through and perhaps even contribute to the discussions of the Senate. His boat journey from Rhodes had hardly settled those nerves either, a good drink with the jovial Savvas and the leader of his house already merry, what else is there to be done but PARTY on :)

Zim
07-06-2008, 01:45
Fellow House members,
I have updated the House roster to take into account Asteri's current membership and ranks. :bow:

Ibn-Khaldun
07-06-2008, 08:20
Efstathios Laskaris walks in and looks around to see some familiar faces. Seeing one, he smiles and walks towards him.

In the presence of all these great warriors I, Efstathios Laskaris, swear an oath of fealty to Hypatios Machonios.

Ferret
07-06-2008, 21:06
We would love to have you in the House Lord Laskaris, but it would be more beneficial to us if you were to swear to Kosmas, keeping the Feudal chain linear rather branching. Thank you for coming here, you are most welcome.

Ibn-Khaldun
07-08-2008, 08:29
OOC: Can I simply change my Oath and swear it to Kosmas then??
From EF's postI understood that he did not accepted my oath of fealty and I should be free to swear it again? :inquisitive:

deguerra
07-08-2008, 08:44
go right ahead. An oath doesn't count until it is accepted.

welcome to the House. It is always good to see fresh faces!

Ibn-Khaldun
07-08-2008, 09:06
For the good of this House I will swear Oath of Fealty to Kosmas Mavrozomis.

Efstathios looks Kosmas and waits wether he accepts or declines this.

Zim
07-08-2008, 09:08
Kosmas nods towards Efstathios

I accept Efstathios' Oath of Fealty.

Zim
07-09-2008, 22:20
OOC:Fixed the ranks on the first page. I was wrong about Belgrade having been taken, it was still under siege when Methodios relieved the garrison.

flyd
07-15-2008, 23:24
I hereby swear an oath of fealty to Ioannis Kalameteros

Ferret
07-15-2008, 23:31
I break my oath to Ioannis Kalameteros and instead swear an oath of fealty to Markianos Ameplas.

flyd
07-15-2008, 23:37
I grant Scopia to Kosmas Mavrozomis

deguerra
07-15-2008, 23:51
I accept Hypatios breaking his oath to me, and accept the oath of fealty of Markianos Ampelas

flyd
07-15-2008, 23:53
And I accept the oath from Hypatios Machonios

Ferret
07-15-2008, 23:58
And we shall all live happily ever after.

rossahh
07-27-2008, 04:06
I break my oath to Hypatios Machonios and hereby swear an oath of fealty to Markianos Ampelas.

flyd
07-27-2008, 04:16
I accept the oath of Zigavinos Vasilakios and reject the oath of Hypatios Machonios

Ibn-Khaldun
08-01-2008, 21:45
And so the Great house of Asteri starts to fall apart???

rossahh
08-02-2008, 02:19
No, it's just Hypatios falling out of the house and us boarding up the windows behind him.

Ferret
08-02-2008, 12:06
I warn you all now, Kalameteros is tightening his grip upon you all. When this house was first founded it was a joint, three way, expedition between Kalameteros, Kosmas and I. However it was not long before Kosmas was driven into retirement, Ioannis putting on too much pressure for him to cope with. He then called himself the head of the House, forgetting the founding trio, and this fake title allowed him to take the hand of a princess thus securing a royal family for himself. But this was not enough, to him I was still questioning his total power too often, still behaving as one of the three, when he wanted there to only be one. My breaking of one law was his perfect opportunity, while many in the Magnaura only wanted a temporary ban of army control, or for me to be confined to an island for a term or so before taking up my usual duties he saw a chance. He went one step further than any other had suggested and ruined me, he removed me from the house leaving all the power to himself, giving him total command over you all, and leaving me with nothing but a small island and a band of peasants. He has no care for any of you, only power. He took the power of two of his supposed friends for his own. And I am not fooled by his excuse for that, I did not see one comment degrading the Asteri as a whole. No one saw it as a fault of the house only a fault of me. I had not lowered the reputation of the house, only my own reputation. It is Kalameteros who is twisting this house to suit him, and now has it blindly following him.

I thought you Zigavinos would have had more loyalty to me, we have been together for two and a bit terms now, yet you remove me with no comment and little apparent feeling. I tell you now that if it wasn't for me you would never have been invited to this house, I may have not been the one to send the letter but I suggested your name and campaigned heavily to have you invited. It seems that loyalty to people means nothing here though, only loyalty to power, which leads to you following tyrants like Kalameteros. The man is a snake, he has manipulated us all and become the most powerful man in this empire and you are the men who have let that happen. I am sure a time will come when he will do something that will make you regret following him and I plan to try my utmost to stop it from happening.

This is one power hungerer that I will not allow to live, while I may not have much I can, and will, still try. You have betrayed us all Ioannis, even those who thought of you as a friend.

deguerra
08-03-2008, 02:52
Harsh words from a man who just recently thanked me for continuing to help him and proclaiming he was not worthy of my continued support.

I have been accused of much Hypatios, but power hunger hasn't yet been an issue. I took over from Kosmas rather unwillingly and at his own request. I had never expected to lead and believed then and still believe I am not half as good at it as he was. But I try my best.

Likewise, marrying my lovely wife, a decision I have not regretted for a second, was not some sort of long-term plan of seizing power but merely an opportunity that arose when I took over Asteri. I suppose I can be accused of opportunism. That would be more accurate.

Expelling you, however, was no opportunism. It is quite true that you had challenged my authority on quite a few occasions, but let me expand. You agreed on the incorporation of Markianos Ampelas into the House and then get angry about it later. Likewise, you agreed on our military plan for Anatalia and then vented your anger about it being implemented. Throughout your tenure your criticisms were seldom constructive and never civil. But that is not why you were expelled.

You were expelled, as I stated in the Senate, because you made House Asteri look stupid, unable to control its own members and willing to sacrifice thousands for some member's personal agendas. That could not stand then, and will not stand so long as I am in Asteri.

You may remember, however, that far from exerting my whole influence to hurt you, I allowed you to keep Rhodes, did not seek further action against you in the Senate for your breaking the law and agreed to support you in whatever endeavour you chose for your future.

However, I suppose I should thank you for this latest criticism as it is by far your most constructive. I wish this to be known to all members of House Asteri:

I do not want to lead without your support and I do not wish to lead a House of followers. I have tried hard to take on board any criticisms that have come forward thus far and will continue to do so, and I encourage you to vent them at me. I also encourage you, as I have told you all before, to conduct yourselves by your own accord. You need not vote as I do, speak as I do in the Senate and do as I do away from it. All I ask is that you keep in mind the interests of the House as you do so. Finally, if my leadership has become inacceptable to you, I will hand over my duties to Markianos Ampelas.

I do hope to have dispelled some of your fears and worries with this, but I am free to be contacted at any time, by any one of you on any issue.

Ioannis

rossahh
08-03-2008, 03:08
Harsh words indeed, Hypatios. Long did I serve you dutifully, keeping everything in order while you campaigned for the good of the house, the empire, and most of all yourself. I more than anyone know that harsh measures were needed in Anatolia - having long fought the Turks I saw that there was no hope of a peaceful coexsistance, it was either us or them - but you went too far. We had always seized the property of the vanquished and evicted the resident Turks from each settlement we took, and while there while resistance, there was never wholesale slaughter. Yet at their capital you gave your orders and they were wrong. I could not stand by you after Iconium and my loyalty to you wavered. I still remained loyal to the house and to the empire and I chose the Empire over you, Hypatios.

Get over it.

:clown:

flyd
08-03-2008, 03:24
One point of clarification that I would very much like to hear is what exactly is the meaning of this particular statement:

This is one power hungerer that I will not allow to live, while I may not have much I can, and will, still try.

Ibn-Khaldun
08-03-2008, 09:26
Markianos is dead!!!
This is a great loss to our House!
I would like to know what this does to our chain of hierarchy?
Kalameteros is now without any vassals unless Vasilakios swears an Oath to him!
This brings him back to the rank of Antypatos. Am I right??

Ferret
08-03-2008, 10:31
Harsh words from a man who just recently thanked me for continuing to help him and proclaiming he was not worthy of my continued support.

I have been accused of much Hypatios, but power hunger hasn't yet been an issue. I took over from Kosmas rather unwillingly and at his own request. I had never expected to lead and believed then and still believe I am not half as good at it as he was. But I try my best.

Likewise, marrying my lovely wife, a decision I have not regretted for a second, was not some sort of long-term plan of seizing power but merely an opportunity that arose when I took over Asteri. I suppose I can be accused of opportunism. That would be more accurate.

Expelling you, however, was no opportunism. It is quite true that you had challenged my authority on quite a few occasions, but let me expand. You agreed on the incorporation of Markianos Ampelas into the House and then get angry about it later. Likewise, you agreed on our military plan for Anatalia and then vented your anger about it being implemented. Throughout your tenure your criticisms were seldom constructive and never civil. But that is not why you were expelled.

You were expelled, as I stated in the Senate, because you made House Asteri look stupid, unable to control its own members and willing to sacrifice thousands for some member's personal agendas. That could not stand then, and will not stand so long as I am in Asteri.

You may remember, however, that far from exerting my whole influence to hurt you, I allowed you to keep Rhodes, did not seek further action against you in the Senate for your breaking the law and agreed to support you in whatever endeavour you chose for your future.

Ioannis

That is my point, your authority was mine to challenge. This house was founded by three men, each with equal say on house matters, we trusted each other. You betrayed that trust and now have the entire house to yourself.

I never agreed to Markianos joining the house, (OOC:I only did OOC :tongue3:) I accepted his lordship as a favour to you.

And I say again, I did not make the Asteri look any different than it already did. There was not one comment in the senate degrading this house, only comments about me, loss of respect for me, and then again only from a small minority of overly pious senators.

And you did hurt me as much as you could. This house was everything to me, and you did not have the power to take Rhodes anyway, when Kosmas rewarded me with that island it became mine forever. You can tell yourself that if you want but you did everything in your power to destroy me, I cannot even reach Rhodes, I have no ship. I have nothing left.

Harsh words indeed, Hypatios. Long did I serve you dutifully, keeping everything in order while you campaigned for the good of the house, the empire, and most of all yourself. I more than anyone know that harsh measures were needed in Anatolia - having long fought the Turks I saw that there was no hope of a peaceful coexsistance, it was either us or them - but you went too far. We had always seized the property of the vanquished and evicted the resident Turks from each settlement we took, and while there while resistance, there was never wholesale slaughter. Yet at their capital you gave your orders and they were wrong. I could not stand by you after Iconium and my loyalty to you wavered. I still remained loyal to the house and to the empire and I chose the Empire over you, Hypatios.

You did not choose the Empire as a whole, were you present at the Magnaura you would understand that not everyone hated me for what I did, only one or two people went to that extreme, one even offering me a place afterwards. You chose Ioannis, and my newfound opinion of him has already been made clear.

One point of clarification that I would very much like to hear is what exactly is the meaning of this particular statement:

(OOC: I would reply but you're dead :laugh4:)

Though I do now see what is happening to the Asteri since I "left". I'll enjoy watching the house collapse.

rossahh
08-03-2008, 13:00
Having read through all of the posts, only 2 people supported you and your actions ET. The rest were trying to choose the best way to punish you.

I chose the house and what it does for this Empire over everything else. While you hide away on Rhodes, we'll still be fighting the Seljuks in Anatolia as it's the right thing to do for the Byzantium Empire and its people.

Ferret
08-03-2008, 17:41
Having read through all of the posts, only 2 people supported you and your actions ET. The rest were trying to choose the best way to punish you.

Didn't notice my name is shortened to ET now :laugh4:

Andres
08-04-2008, 12:28
Kristophors, one of Savvas' bodyguards, arrives at House Asteri.

Esteemed members of House Asteri, Comes Savvas ek Militou sent me to offer you his deepest condolences with the loss of Senator Markianos Ampelas.

He hopes that House Asteri will recover quickly from this blow.

Northnovas
08-07-2008, 23:21
Message from the Duke of Corinth

Members of the House of Asteri and the Duke of Athens I require your assistance in breaking the siege in Corinth. I require some of your garrison regiments in Athens to join Comes Savvas ek Militou Duke of Arta who is enroute to Corinth to lift the siege. The garrsions will be returned when the enemy is removed from both Corinth and Athens Regions.

I understand their fleet was destroyed so they have no escape route by sea. Please contact us by messenger if it is possible to lend us 2 regiments.

Aleksios
Duke of Corinth

Ibn-Khaldun
08-10-2008, 08:34
My Lord Kosmas Mavrozomis have died after the battle in Alexandria..
Another loss to our great House!
Why are we under the Gods wrath!

Ferret
08-10-2008, 12:34
I have told you Laskaris, it is because of the man you follow, he has led you away from God's blessing and the House suffers greatly because of it. His two rivals from power are now dead or banned from the House. Perhaps you had better consider your future, men of the Asteri, would you continue to follow this man into darkness and death? Or would you be led back into God's good graces with my own guiding hand.

TinCow
08-10-2008, 14:31
OOC: As with the death of Markianos Ampelas, I will assume that Kosmas' Lord and Vassal will swear fealty to each other to maintain the integrity of the chain. Those people only need to post if they do NOT wish this oath to be sworn. The oath is: Anastasios Neokaisareitis (The Lemongate) swears fealty to Nevoulos ek Philadelphias (Smowz). Note that The Lemongate will almost certainly be declared inactive and lose his province at the next Senate session.

Ibn-Khaldun
08-10-2008, 16:26
OOC: Then it should be considered that Efstathios also swears Oath to Nevoulos ek Philadelphias (Smowz).

TinCow
08-10-2008, 16:36
OOC: I will do the same auto-swearing when TLG is declared inactive. If you want to change the oaths before then, you'll have to break them. Also, for the record, when TLG goes inactive, his province will go to Smowz.

Zim
08-10-2008, 20:21
Efstathios was sworn to Kosmas, not to TLG's character. :yes:

OOC: I will do the same auto-swearing when TLG is declared inactive. If you want to change the oaths before then, you'll have to break them. Also, for the record, when TLG goes inactive, his province will go to Smowz.

TinCow
08-10-2008, 22:51
Efstathios was sworn to Kosmas, not to TLG's character. :yes:

I know, but Kosmas was sworn to TLG. Thus, by my make-you-life-easier-by-assuming-a-continuation-of-the-oath-ladder actions as noted above, Efstathios became sworn to TLG's character upon Kosmas' death (unless someone protests this). The same kind of thing will occur again when TLG is officially declared inactive in 1125.

Zim
08-11-2008, 00:02
Kosmas has never been sworn to TLG's character Anastasios. Anastasios and Efstathios were both sworn to Kosmas.

I know, but Kosmas was sworn to TLG. Thus, by my make-you-life-easier-by-assuming-a-continuation-of-the-oath-ladder actions as noted above, Efstathios became sworn to TLG's character upon Kosmas' death (unless someone protests this). The same kind of thing will occur again when TLG is officially declared inactive in 1125.

TinCow
08-11-2008, 01:26
Ah, er... ok. So if I change the Library to show both TLG and Ibn-Khaldun now sworn to Smowz, would that be correct way of repairing the chain with Kosmas gone?

Zim
08-11-2008, 01:51
I think so, although TLG did mention he was considering leaving Asteri once here in the OOC thread, before disappearing. Not sure if that would count as a protest against reforming the chain.

Ah, er... ok. So if I change the Library to show both TLG and Ibn-Khaldun now sworn to Smowz, would that be correct way of repairing the chain with Kosmas gone?

deguerra
08-11-2008, 01:59
stop blowing holes in my ship!

TinCow
08-14-2008, 04:01
The Lemongate is now officially inactive. In accordance with the rules, Nevoulos ek Philadelphias (Smowz) has gained control of Belgrade. In addition, since this disrupts the feudal ladder, I am considering Efstathios Laskaris to have automatically sworn an oath of fealty to Nevoulos ek Philadelphias. If this oath is not desired, please let me know.

Ferret
08-14-2008, 10:53
And the House shrinks yet again, have none of you noticed that the House is only half it's former size? And it has only lost members during Kalameteros' reign. I tell you in a few terms he will be the only member of this house if he has his way.

deguerra
08-14-2008, 13:12
I do not recall you being welcome in these halls, nor you being worthy of boasting the Arms of the most noble House of Asteri. I have replied to your idiocies once, I will not lower myself to that level again. Begone!

OOC: :clown:

Ibn-Khaldun
08-14-2008, 13:28
Could someone draw me the chain of vassalage in the House of Asteri, please?
It's not clear who is in what position and who owns what and who is someones vassal.
Well.. it's not clear to me.

deguerra
08-14-2008, 13:35
I think everything is simple now.

Zigavinos has sworn fealty to Ioannis (me).

Nevoulos has sworn fealty to Zigavinos.

You have sworn fealty to Nevoulos as per above.

As for positions, I won't bother, they will change soon anyway. I think I am Hypatos :beam:

Ferret
08-14-2008, 13:42
OOC: if you do want to officially ban Hypatios from these chambers than that is within your rights and I wouldn't blame you, his unheard ramblings must be getting boring by now :clown:

rossahh
08-19-2008, 08:31
I hereby break my oath to Ioannis Kalameteros.

If my lord should accept, I hereby swear an oath of fealty to Savvas ek Militou.

deguerra
08-19-2008, 09:00
I release Zigavionos of his oath.

Andres
08-19-2008, 10:16
I hereby break my oath to Ioannis Kalameteros.

If my lord should accept, I hereby swear an oath of fealty to Savvas ek Militou.

I accept your oath.

Andres
08-20-2008, 18:05
I hereby swear an oath of fealthy in the name of Aleksios Ikoniou to Ioannis Kalameteros.

The legal documents have been handed over to the authorities, as prove that I am allowed to swear an oath for Aleksios by proxy.

(OOC: TinCow knows about this and it is valid. I am allowed to swear an oath for NN, because he's on a holiday and doesn't always have interent acces).

EDIT: Happy birthday deguerra ~:cheers:

deguerra
08-21-2008, 00:47
And I accept Aleksios Ikoniou's oath.

Furthermore, I would like to announce the following:

For his great services in working for the good in that most hurt of cities, I grant Iconium to Zigavinos.

For his great patience with both me and the Imperial Navy, and his unfaltering support and undivided loyalty, I grant Belgrade (it seems to be his already, but I just want to make sure) as well as Scopia to Nevoulos.

_Tristan_
08-21-2008, 11:55
OOC : Scopia belongs to Methodios through Kosmas' will... Sorry...

rossahh
08-21-2008, 13:16
OOC: No need to be sorry about it, it's just Scopia.

I grant Iconium to Efstathios Laskaris.

Ibn-Khaldun
08-21-2008, 13:19
I am honored! I will govern Iconium the very best I can! May all the bad things from past be forgotten!

deguerra
08-21-2008, 13:54
Fair enough. I believe you, although that was never mentioned to me. I assume TinCow can verify this for me. Not that I dont trust people. :clown:

rossahh
08-21-2008, 13:56
Ah, I see our old "friend" Hypatios, has joined the Komnenodoukai. How interesting...

TinCow
08-23-2008, 01:30
Fair enough. I believe you, although that was never mentioned to me. I assume TinCow can verify this for me. Not that I dont trust people. :clown:

Scopia was indeed given to Methodios. Zim never changed Kosmas' will after the first time he wrote it, and Methodios was his legal heir at the time of his death.

deguerra
08-23-2008, 02:15
No worries.

IC:

Caesarea is granted to Efstathios Laskaris for loyal services to the House

Ibn-Khaldun
08-23-2008, 09:46
I am grateful for this. I hereby declare that I give Iconium back to Nevoulos just like I agreed to do.

rossahh
08-23-2008, 12:21
Nevoulos or Zigavinos, my friend?

Ibn-Khaldun
08-23-2008, 14:00
To Zigavinos, that is to you! Well.. It was you who gave it to me after all!

OOC: Sry.. I forgot who is who:shame:

rossahh
08-29-2008, 11:29
Oh dear, the lord does not favour this house. We have lost 5 members now - 3 in battle. Perhaps we need some better training protocols?

Ibn-Khaldun
08-29-2008, 12:15
OOC: Next time I'll take something like this :hmg: with me.

TinCow
08-29-2008, 14:07
As Efstathios Laskaris did not have a will (correct me if I am wrong on this) Caesarea is hereby given to his Lord, Nevoulos ek Philadelphias. Note that loss of a landed vassal has resulted in rank changes.

Ibn-Khaldun
08-29-2008, 14:38
No he didn't have a Will :shame:

Privateerkev
08-29-2008, 15:14
A letter arrives from the Office of the Megas.

House of Asteri,

I have offered my condolences on the loss of Laskaris but I will do so again. He was a good, if complicated, man. We are worse off without him.

But there is something that must be dealt with. His loss does drop Zigavinos down to a rank that does not get a private army. I will thus make the following decree:

The units that were heading for Iconium for Zigavinos are hereby declared to be "Savvas's Army." With no entry in his SOT, it is up to me to define what is Savvas's Army. Since Savvas has no orders for his army, I will give orders using the authority of my office. Savvas's army, consisting of the units that were to make up Zigavinos's army, is now under the control of Kalameteros, and any person he designates. If no orders are given, I will simply send these units to Iconium where they will wait until picked up.

The units in Greece that were to make up Savvas's army will be disbanded or used to replace the Emperor's losses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Megas Makedonios

Warmaster Horus
09-01-2008, 13:07
Nikiphoros opens the door to the House of Asteri, enters and declares:
"As per the Charter of House Korakas, I will break my oath of fealty to Methodios Tagaris. He has accepted his punishment and thus accepts my oath breaking. I now swear an oath of fealty to Nevoulous ek Philadelphias, if he will have me."

_Tristan_
09-01-2008, 13:32
Methodios stride in, visibly angry...

I accepted my "expulsion" from the House... This doesn't mean that I accepted you breaking your oath... The only way I could accept this would be if you returned Scopia to me, you sneaky thief...

Either that or you will suffer the consequences of your oath-breaking...

Your new oath is void.

You know where to find me, Manouelitis.

Methodios strides out.

Warmaster Horus
09-01-2008, 14:28
Nikiphoros looks at the departing figure of Tagaris, and turns to the rest of the chamber. He then says:
"Forgive me. I must tend to this business first."
And leaves as well.

rossahh
09-02-2008, 03:16
Zigavinos looks at Nevoulous with a besumed smile after the intrusions

Well I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever agreed with Methodios on anything. I musn't be feeling well...

Smowz
09-02-2008, 18:39
There, there Zigavinos. These are indeed trying times.

I wonder really of the future for our house if we resort to accepting oaths from such conniving fiends as Nikiphoras.

Warmaster Horus
09-02-2008, 19:16
Nikiphoros enters the hall again. He walks up to the scribe first, to check on what happened since he left. He then looks around, mostly in direction of Zigavinos and Nevoulos. Finnally, he speaks:
"I am sorry if my acts have been perceived that way. In retrospect, I understand it, and it's very logical that you would react so.
Since I am apparently not welcome in these halls, I shall remain out of them. The situation between Tagaris and I has not evolved, and whatever I do I will be branded with my treachery for life.
May the Asteri know glory and honor, for I will most likely not."
He sighs, and leaves muttering something. Most of it is impossible to hear, but one bit was clear: "... never wanted to betray..."

deguerra
09-02-2008, 22:22
Nikophoros!

Stay, please. I must admit I do not agree with my two co-members in this point. I must admit I am a pragmatist and I think you are too. You saw an opportunity to right a wrong and you did. Granted, you did not do so in a gentlemanlike fashion. But in my opinion, then end can sometimes justify the means.

In any case, I would like to talk to my co-members some more before you take your final leave from us. You have stood by me at Markianopolis and I would not reject such a man out of hand.

Nevoulos, Zigavinos. I would like to hear from the two of you a more exact criticism of Nikophoros. Make points that can be debaed, and please do not reject him outright.

rossahh
09-02-2008, 23:03
I have no objection whats so ever to Nikophoros or what he did to Methodios (who deserved it). My objection is WHERE he chose to break his oath. Clearly his lord was never going to release him when it was clear he was joining another house. Now we have to wait several years until the oath can be accepted because Methodios will try and hold onto the one last ounce of power over Nikophoros.

I did try to warn him by pm to break his oath when he left the IK as Tristan might have accepted it then and there, as he would never have given permission when WH joined another house. Tristan has every right to be pissed IMO, which is why I posted.

However just because you went about it the wrong way doesn't mean I/we don't wont you here.

deguerra
09-02-2008, 23:16
Ah. Granted, that observation was quite correct.

Smowz
09-03-2008, 07:45
I, also have similar feelings to Zigavinos. Its all very well, Nikiphoras wishing to punish Methodias by leaving the IK, but to then return 'steal' a province and promptly run again is from where I sit not the sort of thing that is to be encouraged or cherished by House Asteri.

Ioannis, I know that you have worked with Nikiphoras and you are desperate indeed to raise our ailing financial and prestigious might by increasing the noblemen in our house - but we must retain our own dignity and pride. Had we stole the province of Scopia in this fashion it would not have gone unnoticed and we would have made an enemy for life out of the new realm establishing itself out of Egypt.

rossahh
09-03-2008, 07:59
I do not see it as Nikophoros stealing Scopia from Methodios. Methodios bestowed the settlement on Nikophoros, and then violated the founding rules of his own house. During the course of his punishment, the house fell apart with each going their separate ways with their own belongings. I would have preferred it though if they had sorted their differences in private, or at least not in the atrium of our house, that's all.

Smowz
09-03-2008, 21:54
My sources tell me different Zigavinos, Nikiphoras left the house then returned and gained Scopia and then left again.

Hell he could repeat such a procedure in all the houses of the empire and he wished us to be next - I for one do not wish for our land to passed off in such a way.

deguerra
09-03-2008, 23:59
Granted, Nevoulos, but the matter of the fact is we would not need to give him land if he already has it and if we are to judge him on past actions, we should note that he took the land as a result of a breaking of the law, and in accordance with the laws of the House he was in.

So the way I see it, so long as we don't break the law, and don't make silly rules we should be fine.

rossahh
10-01-2008, 09:15
With this new era I think it's time to write my will, just in case.

In the event of my death my cities of Iconium and Smyrna are to go to Ammonathas Kalamateros. Any senator of the Empire is free to take any one thing from my retinue.

TinCow
10-29-2008, 15:20
OOC: Please note that due to Aleksios ek Ikoniou's (Northnovas) actions in the Magnaura, there is currently a hole in the Asteri/Tagamata feudal structure. Due to the nature of the situation and how it occurred, I will consider Savvas ek Militou (Andres) to now be sworn to Ioannis Kalameteros (deguerra) to fill this hole and keep the structure intact. If this oath swearing is not desired, please inform me ASAP.

Andres
10-29-2008, 15:33
Dear colleagues.

This is a dark day.

I will put my final decision about this matter on hold.

Marcus Agrippa
11-01-2008, 18:55
I swear an oath of Fealty to Nevoulos ek Philadelphias and to House Astrei.
I will serve with honour, Bravery and truth.

Smowz
11-02-2008, 18:08
Makadonias ek Philadelphius enters the halls of the Asteri. He is carrying his brothers shield and Asteri crest.

I am sorry for entering your inner sanctum my lords. I am returning my brothers effects and invite you to ride down in a few days and attend his funeral.

Know this he died with honor.

Wiping a tear from his eye, Makadonias leaves the effects on a table nearby and exits quickly.

rossahh
11-03-2008, 08:12
Oh dear, the curse has struck again.

Marcus Agrippa
11-14-2008, 14:18
I swear an oath of Fealty to Zigavinos Vasilakios and to House Astrei.
I will serve with honour, Bravery and truth.
Let house Astrei rise to greatness.

rossahh
11-15-2008, 02:18
I accept your oath, and grant you control of the Castle Belgrade. Go there, raise an army and show the Venetians what the Empire can do.

Alerion
11-15-2008, 13:20
Sophronius Komnenos enters the halls of the House and looks around.

"I hereby swear an oath of fealty to Zigavinos Vasilakios and to the House of the Asteri. I will serve and do my best to gain glory for the Empire and the House."

rossahh
11-16-2008, 02:56
Ah, Sophronius, good of you to come.

I am sorry but I would now ask you to swear an oath to the son in law of Kalameteros, Andreas Dermokaitis, who like you is another new addition to the house. I think the Smyrna would be fitting of a man of your name. Once you and Andreas have sorted out the details, the city is yours.

rossahh
11-17-2008, 02:41
Zigavinos is about to leave but stops

Wait Sophronus. I accept your oath of fealty and give you governership of the city of Smyrna.

you can now put Smyrna into your SOT, and promote yourself to Comes

Alerion
11-17-2008, 12:36
Sophronius nods and bows before leaving the Halls.

rossahh
11-20-2008, 12:20
I break my oath to Savvas ek Militou and swear a new oath of fealty to Magnetios Kalameteros, charmingly known as "Magnetios the Bastard".

Zim
11-22-2008, 21:26
I, Magnetios Kalameteros, declare my oath of fealty to Savvas ek Militou.

rossahh
11-23-2008, 06:09
I hereby place the castle of Markiople under the governership of Magnetios Kalameteros.

Andres
11-24-2008, 12:17
I, Savvas ek Militou, am sick and tired of this oath breaking.

An oath of fealthy is something very special and very important and is not to be used to lightly as a tool to let a certain senator gain a few ranks.

What has Magnetios Kalameteros ever done to obtain such a high rank in our feudal chain?

War against Venice was decided by the Magnaura and because of the tax policy of the Asteri, a tax policy set without any form of negotation with House Tagamata, there are not sufficient funds for this war and lifes are wasted.

One can disagree with certain matters, but when a decision is reached through the proper legislative procedure, then one should do its' best to allow the Megas to execute those decisions.

I do NOT agree with my vassal breaking his oath.

I never swore an oath of fealthy to Ioannis Kalamateros and I will never swear an oath to that opportunistic swine.

Those who "assumed" that I swore an oath to Ioannis are wrong. For as much as necessary: I hereby break any oath which would relate me to Ioannis Kalamateros and I am not bound to him by any oath of fealthy.

I do NOT accept Zigavinos (rossah) breaking his oath to me and every single nasty effect of oath breaking without the approvement of your Lord will come into effect.

I do NOT accept Magnetios Kalameteros' (Zim) oath.

I am disgusted by all of you.

rossahh
11-24-2008, 12:25
Suit yourself Savvas, but what do you know of our relationship with the Megas? Where do you think your reinforcements and your former lord's troops came from?

I trust you will enjoy being a lowly Comes.

Zim
11-27-2008, 07:28
Interesting take from Sir ek Militou. I quite agree that other than my name I have done little to earn such a high rank. Indeed, it seems that names and politics have as much to do with where one ends up in House chains as one's accomplishments, and not just in my own case. Anyhow, should the members of Asteri wish me to I shall join at the bottom of the House.

So, if I wish to earn for myself my own name rather than my fathers and the respect due to one wishing to achieve rank, where shall I go and who shall I fight? I would do so immediately.

Andres
11-27-2008, 09:15
Interesting take from Sir ek Militou. I quite agree that other than my name I have done little to earn such a high rank. Indeed, it seems that names and politics have as much to do with where one ends up in House chains as one's accomplishments, and not just in my own case. Should the members of Asteri wish me to I shall join at the bottom of the House.

So, if I wish to earn for myself my own name rather than my fathers and the respect due to one wishing to achieve rank, where shall I go and who shall I fight? I would do so immediately.

We are at war with Venice and there will be war with the Seljuks soon enough. Plenty of opportunity to prove yourself.

Achieve a victory on the field of honor and I will happily accept your oath.

Be warned though, I will never accept an oath breaking by someone who assumes that I'll agree i.e. if I don't give my permission explicitly, then don't assume you have it.

Zim
11-27-2008, 09:22
A war against catholic heretics? That sounds like a worthy testing ground indeed.

I admit being confused by the feudal chains, however. Are you still in the same chain as Asteri, Sir ek Militou? If so I would seek instruction from the man that would be my master, either directly as per an oath of mine ot him, or indirectly due to my being much lower on the same chain as he is. If not, then I should speak to the heads of Asteri for direction. :bow:

We are at war with Venice and there will be war with the Seljuks soon enough. Plenty of opportunity to prove yourself.

Achieve a victory on the field of honor and I will happily accept your oath.

Be warned though, I will never accept an oath breaking by someone who assumes that I'll agree i.e. if I don't give my permission explicitly, then don't assume you have it.

Andres
11-27-2008, 10:37
A war against catholic heretics? That sounds like a worthy testing ground indeed.

I admit being confused by the feudal chains, however. Are you still in the same chain as Asteri, Sir ek Militou? If so I would seek instruction from the man that would be my master, either directly as per an oath of mine ot him, or indirectly due to my being much lower on the same chain as he is. If not, then I should speak to the heads of Asteri for direction. :bow:

I am no longer part of House Asteri because I am disgusted by how they boycot the Empire with their tax policies.

However, if a decent explanation is given, our quarrels might be resolved soon.

In the meantime, if you would need any help from me, feel free to ask, without obligations.

Zim
11-27-2008, 10:43
I greatly appreciate that offer, knowing that once House leader Kosmas Mavrozomis spoke highly to you in the few times he spoke to me as a child. I hope we are within the same House again someday.

I am no longer part of House Asteri because I am disgusted by how they boycot the Empire with their tax policies.

However, if a decent explanation is given, our quarrels might be resolved soon.

In the meantime, if you would need any help from me, feel free to ask, without obligations.

deguerra
11-27-2008, 23:35
My explanations for the tax policies was given and it has not changed.

I joined the war because I felt legally obliged to do so. However, I was disgusted at the idea of Asteri resources being used to kill fellow Byzantines. I cannot disallow Asteri resources being used, so instead I limited Asteri resources.

That is all there is to it, and the tax policies will end when they are no longer necessary. Which seems to be soon anyway.

Ioannis

KnightnDay
12-03-2008, 03:18
If it be acceptable to the members present, I, Ammonathas Kalameteros, wish to be formally be recognized as a member of the house of Asteri and further to swear the oath of feality to my brother, Andreas Dermokaitis.

I would also wish to express my great satisfaction that the storm clouds over the empire appear to be passing based on the most recent discussions in the Magnaura. The wise course of action taken by my father has allowed peace to prevail throughout our lands.

I shall await a decision on how best I may serve our people. I ask for nothing but an opportunity to prove myself a worthy strator.

Marcus Agrippa
12-08-2008, 00:30
I accept you oath Ammonathas Kalameteros. I welcome you to the House of Asteri.
I will speak to the house lords about your command.

Zim
12-08-2008, 23:39
If possible I would like to swear in at the bottom of the House, and then if God wills it work my way up. Barring the objection of my father or little brother, that would mean swearing to Ammonathas Kalameteros. :bow:

deguerra
12-09-2008, 00:18
I have no objections.

I apologise for the long period of quiet. Members of the House will be hearing from me privately to ge things back on track.

Zim
12-09-2008, 00:23
OOC: Bah, have to work something out first.

rossahh
12-09-2008, 03:06
Hold on there Magnetios. Ioannis's first child was a daughter, and she is married to Andreas, so Andreas should have a place in this house. However, Ioannis's first son - the one who will take over his estate and his position as is tradition - is you. Therefore, it makes sense if you were to be the second-highest ranking member. The first born son of any family is always the most important, how do you think the Basileus became Basileus? By being the first born son of course. Ioannis's next son, Ammonathas, of course belongs in the House of the Asteri, but his earn his place like every other second born son. No doubt coming from his family he will earn a high place in this house, however.

Zim
12-09-2008, 03:12
I respect the importance of tradition, but am not adverse to making my own way. I will gladly serve the House in whatever capacity, high or low, is wished of me.

I shall wait until this is sorted out with the other House members before making any oaths, then.

deguerra
12-09-2008, 04:18
Zigavinos,

While it gladens my heart to see all three of my sons in House Asteri it is House Asteri, not House Kalameteros. Position in this house has not in the past depended upon ancestry and lineage and I do not believe it should do so now.

I would be more than happy for my three sons to work out amongst themselves how they would integrate themselves within the feudal chain, making note of the fact that the chain, in the past, has proven largely symbolic in any case.

As far as Kalameteros matters, carrying on my heritage, my estates and my affects, I believe my will should take care of that upon my death.

rossahh
12-11-2008, 01:17
I re-swear an oath of fealty to Magnetios Kalameteros. Does Savvas wish to block this move again?

Andres
12-11-2008, 09:23
I re-swear an oath of fealty to Magnetios Kalameteros. Does Savvas wish to block this move again?

You can swear an oath of fealthy again. I have no objections anymore.

I hereby swear an oath of fealthy to Aleksios ek Ikoniou.

Zim
12-11-2008, 09:32
If all is settled and this is decided to be my place within the House, then I swear an oath of fealty to Savvas ek Militou.

I also accept the oath of Zigavinos Vasilakios

Andres
12-11-2008, 10:39
If all is settled and this is decided to be my place within the House, then I swear an oath of fealty to Savvas ek Militou.

I also accept the oath of Zigavinos Vasilakios

I accept young Kalamateros' oath.

I'm looking forward to your actions in battle.

Northnovas
12-11-2008, 12:51
I accept your fealthy oath Savvas. :jester:

I swear an oath of fealty to Ioannis Kalameteros.

deguerra
12-11-2008, 22:44
I accept Aleksios' oath.

Now for our junior members....Andreas? Sophronios?

Marcus Agrippa
12-12-2008, 23:33
I swear an oath of fealty to Zigavinos Vasilakios.

rossahh
12-13-2008, 02:05
I, again, accept your oath Andreas.

TinCow
01-21-2009, 14:59
Due to the death of Magnentios Kalameteros (Zim), the oath gap has been automatically closed by an assumption of a new oath with Aleksios ek Ikoniou (Northnovas) as the Lord and Zigavinos Vasilakios (rossahh) as the vassal. If this is not desired, either party can prevent it from occurring by stating so in this thread. Note that Northnovas and rossahh have met the TIR requirements for advancement to their next ranks, however with the death of Zim, there are no longer sufficient vassals to support an Exarch-led chain.

Northnovas
01-23-2009, 23:07
Members of the Asteri House,

I thought we should get some land matters straighten out to clarify our holdings. If each member of the house can confirm their land titles. We can look at surplus to recruit new members.

Aleksios ek Ioniou (Northnovas) - Corinth, Zagreb, Markianople

KnightnDay
01-24-2009, 00:02
Ammonathas has Thessalonike.

The other members of the house aside from Magnentios and Ioannis have been silent for some time.

KnightnDay
01-24-2009, 14:04
In accordance with the standing orders of the antypatos that any member of the house can move his troops as long as it is in our collective interests, I will be joining his with mine. They will remain together until such time as Lord Vasilakios instructs otherwise.

rossahh
01-25-2009, 02:31
I have no objections. You are young - fighting is for your generation.

TinCow
02-05-2009, 15:56
OOC: Sophronios Komnenos (Alerion) is now inactive as per this post. Zigavinos Vasilakios (rossahh) now owns Smyrna, and an auto-reswearing has been presumed to fill the gap left by Alerion's inactivity.

KnightnDay
02-12-2009, 17:59
Lord ek Ikoniou,

I have been in communication with Senator Nikitas Moschos. I firmly believe him to be a loyal servant of Byzantium. It would be most beneficial to the interests of both house and empire if you will provide him with all available assistance so that he in turn may render valuable service to our people.

Ammonathas Kalameteros

rossahh
02-13-2009, 04:08
Just to add to our list - I have Smyrna and Iconium, Ioannis has Athens, while Belgrade is also nominally within our house and loosley under my control.