Savvas : « Old man »

30 is not "old" :stare:

No!

IT IS NOT!

:bigcry:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 12:46
Looks at his own age...

Yes, it is old, Savvas. We're at least halfway through our lives. On our way to the great beyond, that black void of nothingness.... to be ultimately forgotten.

The only immortality is memory, and even that fades in time.

Piety -1

Could you think of a better name for Pizzaguy's character???

_Tristan_
06-11-2008, 12:51
Could you think of a better name for Pizzaguy's character???

I couldn't believe it when I stumbled upon it... :laugh4:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 12:57
As for you, I dub thee "Method Man", after the contemporary musician and 21st century philosopher of "da hood".

_Tristan_
06-11-2008, 12:58
As for you, I dub thee "Method Man", after the contemporary musician and 21st century philosopher of "da hood".

I had the same idea crossing my mind when I found it... :laugh4:

Smowz
06-11-2008, 13:12
I am kinda relieved my name is not Philippos... my secret is safe for now :charge:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 13:15
UGH! UGHH!!! OH THATS DISGUSTING!!! TERRIBLE!! AWFUL!!! UGH!!!

....it is, isn't it? I mean, it's not entirely ambiguous what you're driving at there, is it?

Don't worry, we all have our little secrets... :quiet:

ULC
06-11-2008, 14:12
Yea, I checked my name out beforehand, and it's actually Greek for Jacob, which will play a little on in my character in the near future. I must say though, what the heck does "Kallipoleos" mean? It seems related to Cyprus...it must be me, but my character seems full of odd coincidences...

Rowan
06-11-2008, 14:29
I must say though, what the heck does "Kallipoleos" mean? It seems related to Cyprus...it must be me, but my character seems full of odd coincidences...

Reminds me of Gallipoli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli). Combined with the ek it could mean Gallipolian.

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 14:34
what's funny is that I wrote Makedonios as being "tall" without knowing what the name meant. I also gave him his habit of drinking mint tea before discovering that mint is huge on Cyprus.

woot... :2thumbsup:

ULC
06-11-2008, 14:46
I see, well, that seems to clear things up, since I could only ever find "Kallipoleos" connected to a University in Cyprus :dizzy2:, still even that works into my character. At least your not alone in it PK, of course, the mint thing really is kinda intriguing :inquisitive:, what motivated it in the first place?

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 15:00
I see, well, that seems to clear things up, since I could only ever find "Kallipoleos" connected to a University in Cyprus :dizzy2:, still even that works into my character. At least your not alone in it PK, of course, the mint thing really is kinda intriguing :inquisitive:, what motivated it in the first place?

I personally love mint. Spearmint, peppermint, ect... In the Hippodrome, I just wrote it in for fun. Then when I was researching Cyprus cuisine for our story, I read that mint is put into just about everything because the plant grows so well on the island.

Ituralde
06-11-2008, 15:48
So Pavlos means "small", maybe that's why he's so disgruntled all the time. :inquisitive:

_Tristan_
06-11-2008, 15:51
What's funny about your avatar's name Ituralde is that it translates almost exactly as Paul Goldsmith... not very Byzantine, if you ask me :laugh4:

Ituralde
06-11-2008, 15:54
So Chrysovergos is Goldsmith? Already wondered what it meant...

_Tristan_
06-11-2008, 15:55
If fact Chryso means Gold and Ourgos means Smith so I surmised that it was a variant of the same Vergos=Ourgos...

Ramses II CP
06-11-2008, 16:02
Hah! If you search for 'Vissarionas' and meaning on Google one of my posts is the top result. Guess I'll have to make my own meaning, eh? :beam:

:egypt:

_Tristan_
06-11-2008, 16:06
Yes, Ramses or find somebody with enough fluency in Ancient Greek to derive meaning from your name, if there is some meaning to be found...

Ituralde
06-11-2008, 16:24
Ah, googling the name, why didnt I think of that.

According to these sources:
http://www.stlukeorthodox.com/html/iconography/korsunmotherofgod.cfm
http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/calendar/los/October/09-06.htm

Pavlos will get on the family tree, get a son named Oscar, who gets a son named Luke Chrysovergos who will become Emperor and Patriarch of the Greeks! :charge:

Strange links those up there too. Couldn't find an Emperor Luke anywhere else, ah well. Just have to alter history I guess. Yeah, because we're strictly following history, that's what we do here...

TheFlax
06-11-2008, 17:06
Nice list!

So, I have "ressurected" uh? I wonder how I can tie that in a story, especially with Anastasios meaning "ressurection"... :clown:

A part from that, it was interesting reading what most of the character's name meant, gives a new perspective. :yes:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 22:30
I think Anna has "resurrected" lots of Senators, mine included.

New perspective indeed!

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 22:35
I think Anna has "resurrected" lots of Senators, mine included.

Then how does that jive with Anastasios's "resurrection"?

:clown:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 22:42
Perhaps Anastasios is hiding something underneath his sticharion...

I will not be volunteering to look.

Ferret
06-11-2008, 22:45
What you mean the new Jesus is down there! I'll look right away.

Moments later...

That is Jesus? Ewwwwww

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 22:46
:laugh4:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 22:48
Efstratios changes his mind and looks.

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is. Looks pretty full of life to me. I'd say it's a very successful resurrection.

looks down...

It's spreading!!!

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 22:51
Yes, Anna does indeed raise everyone's "moral"...

*edit*

That is meant to read "morale" but I'll leave the originally sentence as is so the following posts make more sense.

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 22:52
Yes, Anna does indeed raise everyone's "moral"...

I don't know about morals, but certainly their morale.

And who said anything about Anna? Anastasios is the one I find most uplifting. Yes, I've gotten quite a boost from him, and now I'm all smiles.

:grin:

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 22:54
I don't know about morals, but certainly their morale.

And who said anything about Anna? Anastasios is the one I find most uplifting. Yes, I've gotten quite a boost from him, and now I'm all smiles.

dang my lack of spelling prowess... :clown:

well, if you don't have morals, she won't personally raise your morale.

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 22:55
Meh, my morale is raised up pretty high right now anyway.

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 22:56
Meh, my morale is raised up pretty high right now anyway.

what, did you raise it yourself?

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 22:57
I told you already, I witnessed Anastasios' resurrection and it filled me with new life.

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 23:00
I told you already, I witnessed Anastasios' resurrection and it filled me with new life.

Have you told him yet how you feel about him?

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:02
I think, deep down, he already knows what I feel like.

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 23:03
I think, deep down, he already knows what I feel like.

Ok I give up. There is no way I can continue this without getting slapped with a whole slew of warning points. :laugh4:

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:05
The winner, and still champion of the innuendo!!!

crowds cheering!

Innuendo is where the finest resurrection belongs.

:smash::smash::smash::smash:

Ferret
06-11-2008, 23:07
You two just ruined Tristan's thread!

And made me laugh...

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:10
We were simply discussing the various meanings, intentional or otherwise, of Anna and Anastasios.

Those were some very greek meanings.

Do you think there will be any resurrections in the house of the Asteri?

:laugh2:

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 23:12
We were simply discussing the various meanings, intentional or otherwise, of Anna and Anastasios.

Those were some very greek meanings.

No, the meanings of Efstratios and Anastasios were very greek meanings.

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:13
We used only the finest Greece.

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 23:16
We used only the finest Greece.

can't take the pain?

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:19
Oh, trust me, I've fallen upon the gladius many times, and have the scars to prove it.

Draw your swords, gentlemen! I challenge you to taste my steel! I shall strike whilst the iron is hot!

Csargo
06-11-2008, 23:20
Philippos hides in the corner

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 23:22
I challenge you to taste my steel!

I doubt you've sharpened it enough on the wheel.

If you really want some good innuendo, try this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=104626

(don't worry, it's not in the backroom)

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:23
Philippos hides in the corner

Don't be frightened. We're just engaging in some man to man action, an expression of our brotherly love, Phillippos. I thought of all people, you'd understand.

Csargo
06-11-2008, 23:25

If you really want some good innuendo, try this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=104626

(don't worry, it's not in the backroom)

Philippos : « Lover of horses »

Escapes into the night...

Privateerkev
06-11-2008, 23:26
Don't be frightened. We're just engaging in some man to man action, an expression of our brotherly love, Phillippos. I thought of all people, you'd understand.

Unless your claiming to be a horse, he might not understand.

Askthepizzaguy
06-11-2008, 23:34
I have a fine black stallion which I ride daily to get to the Senate, perhaps I'm referring to him?

Perhaps I intend to bludgeon you mercilessly with my blunt broadsword.

:knight:

Ferret
06-12-2008, 09:44
Do you think there will be any resurrections in the house of the Asteri?

Fear not! As far as I can feel every member of my House has been resurrected at some point during your serious conversation. I must say I never realised it felt so good...

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2008, 09:46
Well, when the members of your house spring to life, it's definitley a good feeling that you want to share with someone in a serious and intimate way.

Ferret
06-12-2008, 09:59
Indeed...

*approaches Efstratios and begins to rub himself against him*

How long does this ressurection take? Every time I think it is done it carries on and brings even more new life to me.

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2008, 10:07
WOAH! Woah! Woah! Woah!

Hey, man, thats not cool. That's totally unacceptible, and inappropriate, and you should be ashamed.

You didn't buy me a drink first. Completely classless. If I'm not falling down drunk, it ain't happening, buddy.

I mean, what I meant to say is, I like womens. Completely into women. Yeah.

*Elite Ferret stops the rubbing*

I didn't say stop!

Ferret
06-12-2008, 10:17
Sorry guess the ressurection makes me behave different from normal.

Here I think I can make you a drink if this ressurection carries on a bit longer, a little more rubbing ought to do it...

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2008, 10:20
And Efstratios and Hypatios walked hand in hand off to the local inn, and weren't seen again for quite some time. But mercifully, no one here had to hear about it.

:focus:

Ferret
06-12-2008, 10:22
So....good army eh? Got a good sword to go with it :eyebrows:

Oh right that's over now...

Anyone got any ideas on the meaning of Machonios? If I google it I either get one of my posts or the list of Byzantine names from the SS mod at TWC :laugh4:

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2008, 10:25
you mean Monomachos?

Mono means one, and macho means manly. So I am one manly guy with one hell of a good army, if you catch what I'm throwin. Which apparently you do.

MOVING ON....

edit: as for Machonios... you got... I dunno. Something greek and manly I guess.

:book:

_Tristan_
06-20-2008, 16:55
Seeing as some of you wondered about their last names (with reserves...) :

Eirinikos : "Victor of peace"
Monomachos : "Strength of one"
Chrysovergos : "Goldsmith"

Privateerkev
06-20-2008, 16:56
Monomachos : "Strength of one"

I don't think ATPG could have gotten a more perfect last name for his avatar...

ULC
06-20-2008, 17:02
Actually, his name sounds like an ad for the US army...

Privateerkev
06-20-2008, 17:06
Actually, his name sounds like an add for the US army...

I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere but I still haven't woken up yet...

:coffeenews:

Askthepizzaguy
06-21-2008, 03:27
Is it entirely possible that I have the greatest (7 asterisks) name ever conceived on God's Green Earth???

Now bow before your lord and master Efstratios Monomachos, The Grand Army with the Strength of One. That's right, I am the lone warrior who can beat the living rectal excretion out of Rebels, Turks, Venetians, Sicilians, Hungarians, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, heretics, and just plain guys from Montana! I don't need to command a vast and noble force, I can ride my personal bodyguard out onto the field, unsheath my massive sword, and impale your soldiers lengthwise, hacking them all to tiny bits and sneezing their remains back in your direction.

I am an army of one.

Cue the music:
Be all that you can be in the Byzantine reserve! HOW ABOUT IT?

ULC
06-21-2008, 04:08
I think I'll call you Uncle Efstratios from now on :clown:

Askthepizzaguy
06-21-2008, 04:23
Now, am I your actual uncle, or is this some kind of borderline thing where the experienced veteran tutors the younger man? Because I already have one of those ambiguous relationships with Tarasios.

ULC
06-21-2008, 18:47
*shivers* err, I was actually trying to think along the lines of Uncle Sam...we could put up posters across the Empire. "Uncle Efstratios wants you!"...then again, I think we might get more then recruits :clown:

Askthepizzaguy
06-22-2008, 00:29
If you put up signs around the Empire that read "Uncle Efstratios wants you", then I think in less than 24 hours, there will be no one left in the empire. And correction, we will get NO recruits.

AussieGiant
06-22-2008, 10:49
Now, am I your actual uncle, or is this some kind of borderline thing where the experienced veteran tutors the younger man? Because I already have one of those ambiguous relationships with Tarasios.

LMAO.