PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions | Wishlists thread for the EB 2 Website!

Tellos Athenaios
06-12-2008, 05:54
This thread serves to help the EB2 team to design the EB2 Website. By disucsssing how it should look, what it should 'do', what you'd like to read on it and where; as well as other idea's or wishes you may have had in mind -- you can influence its 'final' outcome.

So please take the time to post below and share your thoughts with us! :smash:

PLEASE NOTE: There is an EB1 Website (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=104693) thread over at the EB1 Forums (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70).

V.T. Marvin
06-12-2008, 10:09
Generally I think that the basic structure of the EB1 site was both very nice and informative, so you cannot go wrong by sticking to that. However, I would welcome more info on the game features (MICs, governmnets, "quests" etc.) beside the faction/unit info.

Best luck and many thanks to the whole Team for your continuing effort for the benefit and fun of us all!

lobf
06-12-2008, 17:16
My only suggestion would be to put me on it somewhere prominent.

I Am Herenow
06-12-2008, 17:18
Will it be a new section in www.europabarbarorum.com or a totally different website?

Ibrahim
06-12-2008, 20:51
show the units as they are made (so right now you all made a hoplite unit, show us a hoplite unit on he website)

Tellos Athenaios
06-12-2008, 21:37
Will it be a new section in www.europabarbarorum.com or a totally different website?

It will likely co-exist with the EB1 website as a separate site of its own; so as a visitor you could view it as a totally different website.

Long lost Caesar
06-13-2008, 18:10
An EB2 website?! Whoaa :dizzy2:

Quest info, unit rosters and any other lil thangs you lot can think of

Olaf The Great
06-14-2008, 05:04
A flash game where you shoot enemies depending on level

Levels 1-3 Flaming pigs
Levels 2-6 Screeching women
levels 5-9 Segmentata legionaires
levels 8-12 Arcani
levels 11-15 Armenians that magically turn into Bartixian Pikemen when they get closer
Levels level 15(final boss)Boss Abokasee, who shoots samnite spearmen out of a rocket launcher and a mini-onager that shoots lightbulbs and CT cruisers.

Err...In all seriousness, I'd go with a much more detailed Buildings list along with a similar overall design to the normal EB site.

FalloutBR
06-14-2008, 14:25
Hello everyone, my first post here, and I'll start by making a sugestion to my favorite Rome Total War mod, and soon probably my favorite Medieval 2 Total War mod :).

I really like the EB1 website, and I wouldn't complain if you make the EB2 website just the same. However, one of my favorite game sites, even though it's so old, is the Age of Empires: Rise of Rome, which you can find with google (I can't post the link yet, first post :P). Sure, it's old and simple, but I really like how they blend the real gameplay screen with the background. I think it would be nice tho show the new graphics and units somehow if it were possible.

Anyway, hope it helps you guys decide. And don't worry about the website too much, even if it's just a white text in a black background with the download link I believe everyone would be happy !

Perturabo
06-14-2008, 15:28
Honestly, the EB1 website layout is just fine for me.. actually a little above expectations really. Maybe a little more obvious building browser/tree or summary of reforms would be nice but not essential.

Cheers

Irishmafia2020
06-14-2008, 21:47
I refer to the unit documentation and the recruitment viewer a lot... if they could somehow be added to the website it would be a genuine addition...

Ibrahim
06-14-2008, 22:12
Honestly, the EB1 website layout is just fine for me.. actually a little above expectations really. Maybe a little more obvious building browser/tree or summary of reforms would be nice but not essential.

Cheers

they should have a unit natural history museum (for units that got deleted-with reasons they were included and deleted)

Krusader
06-15-2008, 00:50
Obviously some people didn't see this page:
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/downloads_guides.html

So for EB2 maybe make it more prominent =)
But yeah one idea we have for EB2 is to have one section for each faction with any faction specific things, like reforms and hints.

Jolt
06-15-2008, 01:27
A flash game where you shoot enemies depending on level

Levels 1-3 Flaming pigs
Levels 2-6 Screeching women
levels 5-9 Segmentata legionaires
levels 8-12 Arcani
levels 11-15 Armenians that magically turn into Bartixian Pikemen when they get closer
Levels level 15(final boss)Boss Abokasee, who shoots samnite spearmen out of a rocket launcher and a mini-onager that shoots lightbulbs and CT cruisers.

I'd support this idea, with the replacement of the Segmentata legionaries (Who for all purposes did exist!) with Head Hurlers.

And for the ones who manage to end the game with the top score, I'd suggest a new level where they face the entire Bartixian Army!

PS: 200th post!!! Weeeee!

Ibrahim
06-15-2008, 02:57
Obviously some people didn't see this page:

So for EB2 maybe make it more prominent =)
But yeah one idea we have for EB2 is to have one section for each faction with any faction specific things, like reforms and hints.

No that was not what I meant-I meant units that existed in earlier betas (like beta .7 or .8), but were deleted later on for whatever reason. after all, I said Natural history, not historical progression...

I Am Herenow
06-15-2008, 08:52
Ooh, ooh, I have an idea (and I'm actually being serious here)! Why not arrange those units in order of disappearance, as it were, starting with all the Vanilla units who have no equivalents in EB, moving on to units dropped after 0.7, then the old Sweboz units or the Roman units before they were reskinned or whatever - just arrange them chronologically.

Incidentally, having them all in a box of somekind in the middle of the page with a horizontal scroll bar should give the impression of walking along a museum corridor. Each 'display' could have the unit's picture with a brief description of what the unit is and why it was scrapped at some point (or, in the case of the Vanilla units, never included) underneath.

Er ... unless you guys want to hide all traces of old units, that is.

Ibrahim
06-16-2008, 01:34
Ooh, ooh, I have an idea (and I'm actually being serious here)! Why not arrange those units in order of disappearance, as it were, starting with all the Vanilla units who have no equivalents in EB, moving on to units dropped after 0.7, then the old Sweboz units or the Roman units before they were reskinned or whatever - just arrange them chronologically.

Incidentally, having them all in a box of somekind in the middle of the page with a horizontal scroll bar should give the impression of walking along a museum corridor. Each 'display' could have the unit's picture with a brief description of what the unit is and why it was scrapped at some point (or, in the case of the Vanilla units, never included) underneath.

Er ... unless you guys want to hide all traces of old units, that is.

that was exactly what I meant! only herenow phrased it better.:yes:

I Am Herenow
06-16-2008, 10:21
Oh, I wasn't trying to steal your idea, as it were, but rather add to it - I posted that after having read your post and just wanted to add more to the suggestion ~:).

blacksnail
06-17-2008, 16:17
The mausoleum is a neat idea. I don't know if we'd have the time to update it, but that would certainly be a cool thing to think about.

Jolt
06-18-2008, 11:47
Mausoleum is so conoted with the ruler who built it. Why not...Barbarosoleum? >_>

Ibrahim
06-19-2008, 21:07
Oh, I wasn't trying to steal your idea, as it were, but rather add to it - I posted that after having read your post and just wanted to add more to the suggestion ~:).

I'm not angry-but very happy-someone got thee idea..:balloon2::balloon2:for you

well, mosoleum is a concoction of Masolos and leum=> barbaroleum is better

Tellos Athenaios
09-11-2008, 18:04
A good old bump up from a few pages gone. For the benefite of the newer forum users; and of course the people working on the EB Website.

Post (more/new) ideas here!

Remco
09-11-2008, 20:38
How about a section with building and unit stats.

Mithridates VI Eupator
09-15-2008, 11:32
The "unit trees", as it were, for the various factions could perhaps be somewhat clearer. For example at which MIC level they can be built, and wether they are regionals or not.
Maybe the "features"-section could be divided into more specific chapters, describing how, for instance, the new temples will work, or the AOR-system etc.
Otherwise, I think the EBI-page is quite good.

Ravenic
09-17-2008, 21:15
Something that could be done relatively easily (and probably with just a few days of work) would be to include something like a 'Historical Armies' category, whether it be on the EB2 site itself, or otherwise somehow included in a barrack's description. The idea is that this would give a brief overview of what the 'average army' should look like for your faction, perhaps including stock formations that certain factions historically used.

For example, you say "The Polybian Legion can be reflected with four units of Hastati, Principes, Triarii each, with two velites, etc. ...they fought in a maniple formation, here is a picture and an example of how it was used. At this time period, the Romans maintained -x- number of legions, at this time period they mained -y- number of legions."

Now apply that to Pontus... "By 240 BC the Pontic army was organized mostly along the lines of the Diadochi armies, with heavy phalanx troops, light supporting troops complimented by cavalry. But by 140 BC they had switched to a much more mobile force, and the phalanx was phased out slowly, bit by bit. This can be reflected in game by having an army with -x- number of phalangites, -y- number of pontic heavy inf., etc."

I think that this helps add some depth and additional roleplay value for players to try and play as historically as possible. It might even be a good idea to try and include 'official' troop numbers for factions to go by. For example, historically the Ptolemies maintained, say, 10,000 Agema troops. Then say that a huge unit scale plays at, say, 1:2000, then you can try to match the historical army size of ptolies by having five or so units of Agema, and so on down the line.

Ibrahim
09-17-2008, 21:20
Something that could be done relatively easily (and probably with just a few days of work) would be to include something like a 'Historical Armies' category, whether it be on the EB2 site itself, or otherwise somehow included in a barrack's description. The idea is that this would give a brief overview of what the 'average army' should look like for your faction, perhaps including stock formations that certain factions historically used.

For example, you say "The Polybian Legion can be reflected with four units of Hastati, Principes, Triarii each, with two velites, etc. ...they fought in a maniple formation, here is a picture and an example of how it was used. At this time period, the Romans maintained -x- number of legions, at this time period they mained -y- number of legions."

Now apply that to Pontus... "By 240 BC the Pontic army was organized mostly along the lines of the Diadochi armies, with heavy phalanx troops, light supporting troops complimented by cavalry. But by 140 BC they had switched to a much more mobile force, and the phalanx was phased out slowly, bit by bit. This can be reflected in game by having an army with -x- number of phalangites, -y- number of pontic heavy inf., etc."

I think that this helps add some depth and additional roleplay value for players to try and play as historically as possible. It might even be a good idea to try and include 'official' troop numbers for factions to go by. For example, historically the Ptolemies maintained, say, 10,000 Agema troops. Then say that a huge unit scale plays at, say, 1:2000, then you can try to match the historical army size of ptolies by having five or so units of Agema, and so on down the line.

nice idea:yes:

though I recommend smaller proportions (so you can fit more in a stack)

Ravenic
09-18-2008, 00:18
Oh, I wasn't paying much attention to the ratio, I was trying to say that one unit = 2,000 troops, not one man = 2,000, haha. In terms of what one man represents you could maybe say 1:20 or so.

ludwag
10-06-2008, 22:10
When i (a long time ago) decided if i was going to play eb or rtr, i looked very much at the screenshots on the web page. they maybe told much about the units, but they diddnt attract me at all. and i decided i wanted to play rtr instead. even though they dont have screenshots and almost no unit models at their webpage.

I think the screenshots at eb1 webside diddnt look epic at all, and looked very boring, becouse you focused on showing the new units in action. in eb2 webside i think you should spend very much time on taking new screenshots, and mybe you should wait untill the users of the forum has taken many and posted them in the new "post eb2 screenshots here"-thread.

Spartan198
10-13-2008, 05:14
How about detailing ships and siege machines available to factions along with its units?

Megas Methuselah
10-13-2008, 07:18
I am inclined to agree with ludwag on this matter. The only reason I chose EB over RTR was because of the opinions I heard about the two games. I'm glad I chose EB, too...

But yeah, you need more epic pictures, lots of light, swords, shields, warcries, littered battlefields, etc. Everything that is needed to attract a senseless noob, in general. :yes:

Oqlanth
10-13-2008, 22:22
Building Tree...Building Tree...Building Tree!
It takes many time to familiarise building tree and method of EBI and I know it will be same for EBII :D so a building tre for each faction will be great addition to website.

Cihan

Foot
10-13-2008, 22:33
We already have them on the EBI website and as part of the EBI install.

Foot

Oqlanth
10-13-2008, 23:28

Foot

You mean building tree?... There is no building three in EBI website or install (at least I can't noticed).

Foot
10-13-2008, 23:41

And they should also be found in the documentation folder inside the EB folder you installed.

Foot

Mithridates VI Eupator
10-14-2008, 10:21
They are.

And another thing: This is really low priority, and may not be worth while the trouble, but could there possibly be a better map-section on the EBII site? The current one is ok, but its a bit hard to get the whole picture, when one has to scroll around.

Oqlanth
10-14-2008, 19:35

And they should also be found in the documentation folder inside the EB folder you installed.

Foot

Uhh!...I am sorry... My mistake!... Just after you gave link I remembered I downloaded some when I am playing v. 08 months ago...
These are because of 'long night stands' ... I have to take a sleep :D

Sorry again

a completely inoffensive name
10-14-2008, 23:52
Put a teaser trailer on it somewhere to get people more interested. Maybe even put that teaser trailer for the Gaza Campaign on it.

Skandinav
10-15-2008, 17:39
Perhaps use as a part of the website theme some of all that neat concept art your talented artists have made.

Ibrahim
10-15-2008, 18:20
me still thinks that the natural history of the EB units (when they were added, when they were dropped out of the mod) is a good idea.

also, a bigger gallery should be made, with the monthly screenshot winners. now that would be cool.

ludwag
10-16-2008, 23:08
you should, in "about eb" point out more that you started creating the mod before rome actualy was released. that whas what made me try the mod. i have played it constantly cince. but the screenshots and stuff made me want to try another mod instead.

^RaGe^
10-17-2008, 19:05
Some high detail wallpapers. The EB1 ones are great but I can't use them because my screen's native resolution is 1680x1050 and the wallpapers are 1024x768.

Nachtmeister
04-22-2009, 15:14

Foot

True, and they are very much appreciated...

An Idea for the EBII ones, though: IMHO they could use a more printer-friendly format...
Playing on a machine where alt-tab ing is not something fast to do and with no dual-monitor setup, it can be a real joy to just have print-outs of all the essential info before you (notes taken from recruitment viewer, ludens' temples guide printed out - and maybe also a printed build tree for your faction. With the current ones I can't figure out how to get them evenly distributed across three DIN A4 paper sheets and so I would need something like an HP plotter to get an image with sufficiently large letters for reading.

On a more general note, any "technical" game documentation should be included (in a printer-friendly version) on the new site - maps for mines, ports, elephants, river-ports, Hayasdan reforms, etc. (and pleeease tie KH phalangites to a factional reform rather than, of all foreign enemies, the Romaioi).

One off-topic (not counting my KH palanx spam) question: Is it possible to have previous enemy factional MICs "converted" (one round or "as soon as new government better than type5 is established") to another faction's regional MIC? I think this would make for even more realism - maybe plus a public order penalty (severe) for regional troop garrisons...
[/off topic]

I love the Idea about recommended historical army setups - however, they would have to be (rather than at some ratio set to fit a full stack) in proportion to the troops the AI usually fields. Like percentage values for army composition (wild guess to make an example: "10%of the total Ptolemaioi army were pezhetairoi")...

04-24-2009, 06:41
Does a six month old thread qualify to be considered necro'd when someone posts in it?

Ludens
04-24-2009, 18:03
The .Org as a whole does not have specific rules against necro-posting, only certain subfora do (off course necro-spam is not allowed). Personally, I prefer it if people post relevant information in old threads about the subject: this way information doesn't get scattered over multiple threads.

Tellos Athenaios
04-24-2009, 23:29
Think this may have to do with a discussion on the EB 1 boards about the aesthetic appeal of the EB 1 website. (A link was posted to this thread, as well as an EB 1 website suggestions/wishlist thread.) :shrug:

Majd il-Romani
04-26-2009, 18:43
how about the winner of each month's screenshot competition goes on the main page and into the Screenshots link as well

and I second the compsition of armies and trailer idea

Nachtmeister
04-29-2009, 01:29
Does a six month old thread qualify to be considered necro'd when someone posts in it?

:oops: I looked at the DAY but I OVERlooked the month and YEAR...

Sorry about that - in turn, I would feel better if adressed directly about such things, as in "opposite to implied third person form", thank you very much oh inoffensive one. Makes me look less like a total idiot, y'know.

Sincere thanks for the kind support, Ludens! :2thumbsup:

Actually, I did somehow find my way here while browsing the EB1 forum although I do not exactly remember how. I will pay more careful attention to datestamps from now on.

04-29-2009, 07:30
Sorry about that - in turn, I would feel better if adressed directly about such things, as in "opposite to implied third person form", thank you very much oh inoffensive one. Makes me look less like a total idiot, y'know.

Alrighty then.

geala
05-05-2009, 14:36
Maybe it's already discussed and rejected because it may be too ambitious, but:

Could you expand the unit documentation? And name your sources (or better: examples of your sources) on which you base the armour, weapons, clothes, shoes etc. of a certain unit. Also inform when a feature of a unit is based on speculation (in a game about a time far away with often scarce findings speculation is entirely justified, otherwise we would often have empty parts on the soldiers).