PDA

View Full Version : Generals & Admirals

Martok
06-12-2008, 18:16
Has anyone seen any info as to how they'll be implemented in Empire?

I know that generals will be necessary in order to recruit troops, but I've read few details on how that'll actually work. I'm also curious as to whether they'll be family members like in RTW/M2TW, whether you'll only have certain "hero" generals that appear (ala Shogun and MTW), or if it's a new system entirely. In addition, I'm wondering if generals & admirals can be bribed away by other factions and/or rebel against their ruler.

And as a more basic question, will admirals and generals essentially be treated the same (i.e., characters in your faction's "court")? Or will admirals function differently (e.g., will they always remain on water, etc.)?

Would love to see some answers from CA on this. :yes:

pevergreen
06-13-2008, 01:50
Good point. I'd like to think that certain characters could be trained or pay for the ability to have thier own ship. Thereby becoming admirals as well.

I think they will be family members again though.

rajpoot
06-13-2008, 06:05
The choice ought to be something available to the player. If he wants an Admiral who is also a General on land, he should have this option. If my history is right, there were Generals, who commanded fleets during wars, and also, when needed commanded troops on the ground.

IrishBoy
06-25-2008, 20:31
Will we see the lifespan of Generals increase?(Dying of old age). It would definitely be a huge advantage having Generals & Admirals live to an older age than their mid 60s as in M2TW.:yes:

G^2
06-25-2008, 22:21
I want to say that each turn will be 6 months but I can't remember. Thus, if each turn were six months, mid sixies would be a resonable time span for a general to live. I think the scope of the game only includes about 100 years, so a player would only use about two or three generations of characters, which in my opion would be awsome. I hate in RTW and M2TW taking all that time to creat an awsome general only to have him die of old age.

I too have wondered about the general system. As far as monarchies go its a no brainer, but what about constitutional monarch? or democracy where the ruling class was not related? This would particulary be a problem in America were the founders were completely unrelated and their offspring (execpt for John Adams) were lost in the pages of history.

One thing I definetly miss from STW and MTW was the heros that would appear. Man it was great playing as the English and comanding Strongbow Fizgerald and William Marshal, or in STW comanding Takeda Shingen and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. I hope such historical figures as William Pit, Laffete, and Fracis Marrion will be included.

PBI
06-26-2008, 01:43
I think one of the FAQs mentioned that the generals will be recruitable, so that would suggest they can't just be family members. I remember a CA dev mentioned that the system for generals and governors is being totally overhauled, but they were rather coy about the specifics so I fear they might not be too forthcoming about it. I certainly hope there will be lots of scope for famous generals and admirals.