PDA

View Full Version : More Events?

brymht
07-08-2008, 22:17
One thing that I really like in EB are the events. I've even scripted a few myself. The limitation here is that many events; such as "add province" type events will screw up the AI for other factions; so this limits me to writing events for the slave faction.

Is this same limitation in M2TW Kingdoms? Will we be able to see many more?

If so I would love to assist in the scripting or Teutonic Invasions, Helveti Migrations, and such!

Foot
07-08-2008, 22:44
We have a very strict approach to events. Generally, if they appeared during our timeframe within our map then they don't appear as events (unless the causes can be reasonably addressed in the game). If appear during our timeframe but outside our map (or haves causes outside of our map) then we can add them. We can do this because we assume that the world largely follows the same course as it did in history.

The Teutonic Invasions, Helveti Migrations both don't seem to fit the criteria.

What events do you have in mind, and what ones are you thinking of in particular from EBI?

Foot

/Bean\
07-09-2008, 15:18
We have a very strict approach to events. Generally, if they appeared during our timeframe within our map then they don't appear as events (unless the causes can be reasonably addressed in the game). If appear during our timeframe but outside our map (or haves causes outside of our map) then we can add them. We can do this because we assume that the world largely follows the same course as it did in history.

Foot

Is this beacuse they would either have to be shown on the map or not shown and it would be an empty event...both which mess up the gameplay?

Foot
07-09-2008, 15:23
Is this beacuse they would either have to be shown on the map or not shown and it would be an empty event...both which mess up the gameplay?

What?

Um ... probably yes to that question, but if you could clarify I might be able to answer slightly better.

Foot

Jolt
07-09-2008, 20:40

What events do you have in mind, and what ones are you thinking of in particular from EBI?

Foot

What about historical natural disasters of great proportions? There isn't really something which can be done within the game to alter it.

Krusader
07-09-2008, 20:58
What about historical natural disasters of great proportions? There isn't really something which can be done within the game to alter it.

We will probably make it random events. I still remember from vanilla RTW that I recruited as few men as possible from the Macedonia province, because an earthquake was scripted to hit it at some point reducing the population, making it even longer before it would reach 12000 people.

Basically, if people know disasters will strike at that and that time, they will simply reduce the garrison in cities that will be hit when they see a year approaching knowing a disaster will strike. As I recall, volcanoes and earthquakes did reduce the number of soldiers.

Jolt
07-10-2008, 22:23
It wouldn't be bad to do them both. It would be historical enough at least. And not many people will know the exact dates they hit. (Heck, I played RTW so many times, and I don't know when Etna erupts, Vesuvius erupts, Macedonia catches plague, Alexandria catches plague, Pontus gets hit by an earthquake)

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-12-2008, 06:46
Earthquakes and volcanos maybe, but plagues still have a huge human factor. Maybe a particular plague in history was brought from Persia to Hellas, but in your particular EB game you are at war with someone in between and there is no overly active trade routes to bring the plague to Hellas...

brymht
07-13-2008, 16:33
I think it would be better to set conditionals. Like set Hannibals invasion of Italy dependent on Carthage having a sufficiently strong hold over Iberia and safe relative status elsewhere.

Some of these would be dependent on the AI being a bit better than in RTW or Alex. Really hoping it will be in M2TWK

Ludens
07-13-2008, 17:30
Apart from that being very hard to script satisfactorily, it's also rather Romano-centric. Why Hannibal? Why not any other general? Hannibal's march is remembered because it was something very extraordinary, dependent on the decisions and daring of one man. Scripting it in assumes that it would have happened even when Hannibal himself would not have been born.

In any case, Hannibal and his army did not appear out of nowhere. They had been campaigning in Iberia for a decade or more, and directly provoked the war which Hannibal's march was intended to win. I don't see that happening with a script. He'd just materialize in Italy (cause I imagine the A.I. won't be inclined to march him to Italy if he appears in Iberia).

Foot
07-13-2008, 17:32
I think it would be better to set conditionals. Like set Hannibals invasion of Italy dependent on Carthage having a sufficiently strong hold over Iberia and safe relative status elsewhere.

Some of these would be dependent on the AI being a bit better than in RTW or Alex. Really hoping it will be in M2TWK

That will never happen. This expedition was a one off based upon the circumstances of a great and charismatic general. Hannibal's life story itself played a great role in the campaign and to recreate it without him is blatantly silly. As Hannibal was born after the game's beginning and as his hatred of the Romans, upon which the campaign's fervour was based, came from the death of his father, Hannibal will not be spawned event.

On a personal note I would find it dull were that the case. Extremely dull. "Oh look, for no apparent reason here come some elephants over mountains. Crazy!"

Foot

Jolt
07-14-2008, 14:35
Earthquakes and volcanos maybe, but plagues still have a huge human factor. Maybe a particular plague in history was brought from Persia to Hellas, but in your particular EB game you are at war with someone in between and there is no overly active trade routes to bring the plague to Hellas...

Yeah, I spoke about the plagues to bring up the point that I knew they existed in RTW, but didn't know exactly when they'd hit. I'm not an advocate for historical plagues. Just natural disasters.

Majd il-Romani
07-29-2008, 20:55
This is Total War, where you make your own events!