PDA

View Full Version : LotR - Royal Wedding

deguerra
07-10-2008, 02:01
Please note: This is to be a short-term thread akin to the Hippodrome. All posts are to be IC, and can include actual speeches, conversations, thoughts or whatever. Note that this is the wedding party at the ex-Mavrazomis, now Kalameteros residence in Konstantinopolis. For the actual ceremony, see theFlax's post in the Stories thread which will link to here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1964851&postcount=90). Once again, please keep this strictly IC. Thanks

You have been invited to the biggest social event of the year. The new Kalameteros residence is laid out like a Roman villa of old, in a rectangular pattern with a large enclosed courtyard in the centre. Having come through the front gate, you find yourlself in this courtyard, bustling with people. Its garden, well kept and brimming with colors interweaved in a multitute of bright patterns, led to an ornate fountain, behind which lays the entrance to the House itself. The doors are wide open, to display a large hall to the world, filled with tables and, of course, more people.

deguerra
07-10-2008, 02:02
Placeholder for possible speech by the Basileos

deguerra
07-10-2008, 02:03
Ioannis Kalameteros rises from the main table, looking around him rather nervously. He waits for silence until he begins speaking, his voice getting slightly more confident as he goes on. By the end, it is hardly shaking at all.

I am humbled to be here today. I am a young man, lacking in the experience and knowledge of many of my elders. I am a minor noble, lacking in the wealth and power of many of my betters. As such, I have been given great honour to be able to stand in this place today, and fear myself incapable of ever returning the favour I have been granted.

I hope that, in his exalted eyes, my loyalty to the Basileos and the loyalty of my House is beyond question. Rome has accomplished much these past years and the accomplished shepherd who has so skilfully led his flock towards restoring the glory of old deserves the allegiance of all his subjects.

But I wish to restate that as I am bound now to his daughter, beautiful not only of appearance and surely more gifted a wife than I ever dared dream of, as I am bound to her, House Asteri is and shall be bound to the Basileos, shall stand by his side, serve him faithfully, and support him unconditionally. I hope this conveys, in a small way, the thanks I owe him this day.

At last, I do wish to thank you all for coming to celebrate such joyous an occasion. I will keep you no longer with extensive words, and instead attempt to compensate you for your attendance with food, drink and entertainment.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 03:05
Makedonios enters the residence. He stands straight and proud. His clothes are still plain, but they almost glow white. The fabric is not fancy but of high quality. His cape adorns his back and has the purple Orthodox cross on it. In one hand is a cane of silver. In the other, a silk napkin that he periodically coughs into. His blond hair almost bounces as he walks into the room.

He isn't one for dressing up but this is a special occasion. In fact, this was probably the last place on the planet that he wanted to be. But, to not come would have made a very strong statement. One that could not be easily taken back or repaired. Plus, this was supposed to be her day. And he wanted to be here for her even if it was in a very different capacity than he had hoped.

He moved through the crowd with ease. People tend to back off when a tall coughing man with a cane walks by. Finally he found a table where he could sit and rest. While he thought he was getting better, the sickness still left him exhausted most of the time. A servant came and Makedonios asked for a large pitcher of water and some mint tea. While waiting for his drinks to arrive, he simply sat back and people-watched.

deguerra
07-10-2008, 03:25
Haiving waiting for a lull in the congratulations of well-wishers and polite conversations that these dreadful social events always required, Ioannis stood and made his way over to the man in white. The chair beside him was empty, and Ioannis sat, saying nothing, just sitting next to Makedonios in silence for a while.

After a few moments he spoke softly, still looking straight ahead

I want to thank you for coming. I know it was not for me. I know you do not regard me very highly, Grandmaster, and this he shrugged well it is hardly likely to endear me to you any more.

Ioannis eyed the blond man from the side and continued

I am not your enemy, Makedonios. I know you care for her, and for what it's worth you have my word that I will endeavour to make her happy. And as I know she cares for you, know that I will not stand in the way of your friendship.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 03:35
Makedonios simply sat there sipping his tea. He couldn't believe the man had the gall to say these things in public. Another sip. Makedonios forced the man to wait in silence. Finally he spoke.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you have me mistaken for someone else.

With that, Makedonios gets up to leave.

Congratulations by the way.

Makedonios bows his head, turns, and with his cane, walks over to the food table.

deguerra
07-10-2008, 03:38
Watching him leave Ioannis could not but look stunned for a brief moment. Then, shaking his head, he returns to his table.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 03:43
Anna looked at her husband, perplexed.

"What was that all about?" She continued in a sanctimonious tone. "You didn't start another fight, did you?"

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 03:44
Makedonios stood in front of a giant table of food. Picking a large chicken leg, he plopped it onto his plate. He shook his head at the absolute lack of tact he had just witnessed. Surely a man who had run spies would know a thing or two about subtlety. He returned to his table and was pleased to see it was once again empty. The chicken was very tender and juicy. Makedonios was careful to not get the juices onto his clothes.

rossahh
07-10-2008, 04:03
Zigavinos nervously plucked at the immaginary dirt on his sleeve. There were sooooooooooo many people mulling about. He hated crowds, especially ones full of people he didn't know, and tried to hide off to one side.

Surveying the scene, he couldn't help but notice how poorly organised and arranged the tables were. Whoever had organised this party had done a terrible job. The table placement was all wrong wrong wrong.

Zigavinos sighed. He had so much work to do. Hypatios was an excellent commander but didn't know how to organise a darn thing. He couldn't wait to get out of here and back to his parchment and plans.

deguerra
07-10-2008, 04:07
Ioannis looked over to his new wife and shook his head, giving a wry smile

No. Apparently I simply mistook someone for Makeondios. Funny old world, isn't it.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 04:24
Devouring his chicken, Makedonios downs a good part of the pitcher of water. With a fresh mint tea in hand, he gets up. Looking around, he spies the doors to the balcony. Anyone who is paying attention will see him walk outside for some air.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 04:44
Anna smiled faintly at his comment.

"How... odd." Becoming more serious, she added "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll see to our guests."

No waiting for a reply, she left the tables and mingled in the crowd.

Ignoramus
07-10-2008, 05:27
There is subdued hush as the Caesar, Ioannis Komnenos, enters with his wife, Eupraxia.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 05:34
Anna makes her way to her brother and addresses him with a smile.

"I'm glad you could make it brother!" She looks over to Eupraxia. "And you brought your lovely wife! How good of you to come my dear." Turning back to her brother, she continued. "I've taken the liberty of seating you next to my husband and I. Is that satisfactory?"

Ignoramus
07-10-2008, 05:55
Embracing Anna, Ioannis responds warmly.

It will honour me and my wife to be seated next to you. I must say I am very curious to meet your new husband. Strator Mavrozomis has told me many interesting things about him.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 06:09
Anna led them both to the table.

"I'm sure he'll be as pleased to make your acquaintance. I apologize if I cannot tarry with you now, but there many guests. I promise to return before you miss me brother."

AussieGiant
07-10-2008, 06:36
Apionnas observes proceedings from a corner of the hall, while alone he is at ease with his surroundings. He is wearing the familiar blue officers cloak of his Mansuriyyan regiment. Arabic writing embroider both it and the black bands of cloth on his upper arms. In contrast to this is the Byzantine court armour beneath. The badge of service to the Basileus clearly visible.

A few odd stares are sent his way but most in attendance are aware of who he is and keep any remarks to themselves.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 06:52
Anna moves to greet Apionnas with a warm smile.

"It is good to see here, Apionnas. I hope you will enjoy yourself."

AussieGiant
07-10-2008, 06:57
Bowing deeply Apionnas returns the smile.

Assalaam Alaikum my Lady.

My congratulations. It is truly an impressive event. It reminds me of some of the Egyptian Sultan weddings. He has had many.

Raising an eyebrow in amusement he wonders if the Princess will respond to the jest.

Zim
07-10-2008, 07:07
Kosmas enters the wedding hall. He seems to be recovering from his illness, still looking thin but stronger and more sure of himself again. He is wearing a chlamys cloak, dyed gold, over a long, dark red divetesion with a gold Chi Rho emblazoned on the chest. On his head sits a black trapezoidal hat. Nodding towards Kalameteros as he passes him by, Kosmas walks over to the banquet to pour himself a glass of wine before wandering off to a relatively empty corner of the room.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 07:15
Anna chuckled lightly at Apionnas' words.

"I am glad you appreciate it."

Noticing Kosmas, she motioned him to join them.

Zim
07-10-2008, 07:56
Seeing Anna wave towards him Kosmas moves over to her and Appiona, bowing towards the former and nodding to the latter.

"Congratulations, Princess. I wish you many happy years with your new groom."

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 08:17
Anna also extended her warm smile to Kosmas.

"And I am glad to see you getting better Kosmas. I hope you will enjoy this evening."

AussieGiant
07-10-2008, 08:30
Turning to Kosmas, Apionnas says:

So my lord. What are your thoughts on the progress of the Empire and the new Megas?

The Empire has expanded rapidly. Where do your see things going in the next few years?

_Tristan_
07-10-2008, 08:32
Methodios enters the hall. For the occasion, he has dressed in his best clothes, a dark chlamys with gold filigree worn over a simple tunic of a stunning white. From his belt hangs a golden-hilted dagger. His long blond hair is tied back from his brow by a black band of cloth. But most of all it is his ice-blue eyes that get the most notice, standing out from his sun-tanned face. Mutters can be heard as he enters the room, though he either doesn't hear or care.

Seeing Mavrozomis in conversation with the Princess and the former Muslim, he discreetly bows his head to him. Then he makes his way to an empty table and sits himself, considering the people in attendance.

AussieGiant
07-10-2008, 08:37
Glancing over his shoulder at Methodios as he enters, Apionnas remarks to Anna and Kosmas.

Interesting. The "noble most provocative" has arrived. Maybe this will create some interest in proceedings.

Andres
07-10-2008, 08:43
Savvas enters the wedding hall. The fast ride back from the Belgrade region had exhausted him. He walked towards one of the tables and took a goblet of red wine. He was wearing a blue cape and shiny silver colored boots. He seemed eager to dance.

He saw Makedonios going to the balcony. Savvas took a second goblet of wine and followed him quickly.

"Grandmaster!" Savvas said, jovial while giving Makedonios a slap on the shoulders. "You really dislike these sort of events, don't you? Man, you Order guys should leave those ascetic ways and enjoy life. Have a drink, old chap. You look like you need it!"

Savvas offered the goblet, in the meanwhile looking at Makedonios' cane.

"Is that your dancing partner for the night?", Savvas asked, a large grin on his face.

Zim
07-10-2008, 09:01
Kosmas chuckles at Appionas' comment, after nodding in return to Methodios Tagaris.

"Strator Methodios does indeed provoke a wide range of emotions from many people, but the one I found most common on my recent trip to Belgrade was admiration. His victory over the catholic rebels there was nothing short of magnificent.

As for your question, Strator Apionnas, I suspect much of the coming years will be devoted to rebuilding the Empire's infrastructure and bringing the Imperial armies back up to the level of quality they were once renowned for. Of course, there is also the matter of the war on the Turks the Senators voted for last Magnaura. After the Seljuks have been pushed from Christian lands the focus of the Empire might turn back inward for a time. Then again, the Turks are not the only ones to hold land that once belonged to the Empire. The Venetians still hold Crete as well as much of the land of the Exarchate of Italy, and only a small portion of the Levant is yet under the Order's protection.

The only thing I am absolutely sure of is that any predictions I make are as likely to be wrong as correct. What do you think the Empire's likely course is to be in the coming decades, Apionnas?"

AussieGiant
07-10-2008, 09:19
"Indeed Kosmos, I found Methodios opportunistic tactic of selling Zagreb to the Hungarian's to be a very astute move. He certainly is an asset to the Empire. I just wonder if he could pursue his career in a less adversarial fashion.

There has certainly been more than a few 'shining lights' dimmed by issues other than skill and daring."

Pausing for some time Apionnas finally continue.

"The Empire is solidifying. The opening moves have been made with little impact to our way of life. While all is well I expect everyone to be at peace with each other. However, once the cogs of war really begin to turn and the pressure mounts, then I expect to see the separation of chaff and wheat to occur. That is what I am eagerly waiting for my Lord."

Ibn-Khaldun
07-10-2008, 09:59
Efstathios walks in to the room. Without the formal wedding invitation he felt like a little bit unwanted here. But then again, it must be some postal service mistake. He hoped.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 15:30
Makedonios resisted the urge to assault Savvas when he slapped him on the shoulders. As much fun as it might be, jamming his cane into one of Savvas's orifices would probably be frowned upon tonight. Exercising self control, Makedonios calmly turned and sipped his tea.

Greetings... Comes. Makedonios put stress on the title to make clear that they were of a different rank.

That was very kind of you but I must refrain. I'm sure you can manage both drinks yourself. And I see you have noticed my cane. My illness has left me needing it to balance myself. So, I ask that you please refrain from slapping me hard on the shoulders.

Turning to leave, Makedonios turns his head after taking another sip of his tea.

I'm going to get back to the party. I would tell you to enjoy your evening but it looks like you already got started on that front.

With a nod, Makedonios leaves the jovial Savvas and goes back to the main hall. He leans against a wall, sips his tea, and scans the room.

_Tristan_
07-10-2008, 16:32
Seeing Makedonios coming back into the room, Methodios joins him.

Makedonios, good seeing you here... How's your health ? Getting better I hope...

What a lovely bride, isn't it ? But what do you make of her husband ? Strange alliance, if you ask me... Though I can see the political implications...

I always thought the Princess would stand up to her father on this matter, whatever her professed will to obey...

Kalameteros is in for a hell of a ride, I guess... His world has just been turned upside down without him knowing it yet...

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 16:40
Makedonios smiled and nodded at Methodios. Very much aware that the walls have ears, he is careful about what he discusses in here.

Methodios, congratulations on your victory at Belgrade. News of it reached all the way over to Antioch.

As to my health, I wonder when this wretched illness will end. Who ever heard of 20 year pnuemonia?

As to the new couple, I think the Emperor made a very... calculating gamble. We'll see if it pays off in the long run...

Makedonios sips more tea.

Rowan
07-10-2008, 19:48
Vartholomaios Ksiros enters the banquet dressed in the white and purple of the Order. He stops briefly at the doorway, making a curt bow towards the happy couple, then looks around searching for familiar faces. Spotting Makedonios and Methodios he proceeds to join their company.

Grand Master, Sir Methodios. How nice to see some familiar faces, these social gathering are really not my cup of tea. Congratulations, Sir Methodios, for your brilliant victory in the north-west. It almost matches the one made by our host Kalameteros in conquering the heart of the princess, eh?

Seeing the strained expressions of the older men Vartholomaios realizes he has made some kind of a social gaffe and retreats quickly towards the food tables.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 19:51
Makedonios smiles as he sees the first Order member finally arrive at the party. He politely excuses himself from Methodios's company and reminds Bart that he has kept a table vacant for Order members. He then signals a servant for another cup of tea and goes and sits at the table to rest.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 20:18
Anna politely excuses herself from the two men in conversation and makes her way to the table of the Order. For an instant she flashes him a radiant smile, before returning to a more serious expression.

"Grandmaster Makedonios, it is a pleasure to see you here. I had feared your health would not have permitted you a trip to the capital. I am glad to see I was wrong."

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 20:26
Upon the arrival of the Princess, the Grandmaster uses his cane to help him stand up. After standing up straight, he gives a deep bow, while putting the cane in front of himself for stability. After bowing, he stands back up and holds onto the top of the cane with both hands to steady himself.

Your Highness, it is an honor to come and celebrate this happy occasion with you and your husband.

Makedonios pauses for a moment to pull his silk napkin out of his breast pocket and cough into it.

I beg your pardon but my illness forces me to pause periodically to cough. But enough about that. How are you this fine evening?

With that, he smiles but the Princess, and only the Princess, will notice a twinkle in his eyes.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 20:40
"Woefully unprepared." She chuckled lightly. "As you say, it is a fine day, but made finer still by all who have attended." She glances at Methodios Tagaris briefly and she then continues in mock awe. "Even the most esteemed hero of the Balkan has seen this occasion worthy of his illustrious presence."

Her playful smile indicated she was not serious.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 20:46
Makedonios chuckles.

You unprepared? I find that hard to believe. You've been preparing for this your whole life.

Turning over to gesture towards Methodios.

As for "the hero of the Balkans", he certainly has made a name for himself. I think the Megas will have kittens when he sees that he is here. Should provide for an... eventful evening...

He smiles and sips his tea.

TheFlax
07-10-2008, 20:56
Anna returns his smile.

" "Eventful" might be an understatement in that case. I do hope you will be able to appreciate this event, even in your state. Sadly, I cannot tarry in one place too long at this moment."

She leaves the table without making an effort to correct the ambiguity in her choice of words.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 21:00
Makedonios gives the Princess a nod before returning to his seat. The evening was certainly shaping up to be interesting indeed.

flyd
07-10-2008, 21:21
An Officer of the Office of the Megas Logothetes enters. His hair and clothes are neat enough, but his eyes show unmistakable signs of acute weariness. He finds Ioannis Kalameteros

Antypatos Ioannis Kalameteros, I bear a personal message from the Megas Logothetes, Markianos Ampelas. He apologizes, as most profoundly as it can be done, that he is unable to attend your wedding. Things are very busy, as always. He wishes you and your bride all the happiness that a marriage such as this can provide, and more so than even that. <He pauses. He is unsure if that last part made any sense. So tired.> He was hoping that he would get the chance to meet you in person, but that day is yet to come, hopefully at the walls of a certain Anatolian city. Send his regards to your wife as well.

Having successfully performed the function of a fancy, talking letter, the Officer leaves.

Cecil XIX
07-10-2008, 23:01
Armatos arrives at the wedding, quickly taking some food and a seat at te Order's table.

Privateerkev
07-10-2008, 23:07
Still amused that the Megas had basically snubbed the whole royal family, Makedonios smiled when he saw Armatos walk in.

Brother Armatos! I'm glad you could make it. Bart is around somewhere gathering food. He must be gathering enough for three meals.

Ibn-Khaldun
07-11-2008, 00:15
If there is something good about these big social gatherings then it is the food, Efstathios said to himself while taking another peace of pork.

He turned around and saw the officer saying something to Ioannis. What was it about he did not know but seeing that Makedonios smiled while listening the officer Efstathios was sure that it must of been something about the wedding. But this was not his business. He turned and looked around what food to take next.

Zim
07-11-2008, 00:23
Kosmas walks up to the banquet table as well, pouring himself another glass of wine. Noticing Efstathios, he nods towards him and smiles.

"It is good to see a familiar face. I was beginning to worry that aside from the groom himself, all of the other Asteri members here would remain lost to me in the crowd. I trust you are enjoying the festivites?"

Ibn-Khaldun
07-11-2008, 00:55
Efstathios nods to Kosmas.

So far this have been a very enjoyable event. But to be quite honest I try to avoid parties like these because there are just too much .. people!
Efstathios sighs.

He pours himself a glass of wine too and continues..

Let's just say that I once I have eaten as much as I can I go home and rest and then travel south to Smyrna. There is a war ahead of us and I can not just party in these circumstances.

TheFlax
07-11-2008, 01:04
As Efsthatios utters his last sentences, Anna drifts near the two men and gives then a polite smile.

"So there will be a war? Well, there isn't much you can do this evening save enjoying yourself as much as possible, who knows what lies ahead?"

Zim
07-11-2008, 02:21
Kosmas bows to Anna.

"You are quite wise, Princess. Matters of war can be dealt with later, for now we deal with a much more pleasant event."

Kosmas suddenly starts, realizing he has forgotten something. "Forgive my lack of manners. This," He smiles warmly and motions towards Efstathios, "Is Efstatios Laskaris, the newest member of House Asteri. Efstathios, I am sure you know Anna Komnenos."

deguerra
07-11-2008, 02:32
Taking some time away from talking to Caesar Ioannis seated next to him, Ioannis Kalameteros listens politely to the messenger from Markianos Ampelas with an expressionless face and nods at the man slightly when he is finished. Taking advantage of the silence around him, he moves out to the balcony to find Savvas ek Militou.

Thank you for coming Savvas. I do hope you are enjoying yourself. In fact, I believe I still owe you that drink I promised you during the last Senate session. Or was it the one before? In any case, would you care to join me for it now?

Askthepizzaguy
07-11-2008, 02:40
Efstratios Monomachos is nowhere to be seen... at the wedding, in the Senate, or at the hippodrome.

As the recently appointed ruler of one of the houses of the Roman Empire, he was expected to attend... where could he be?

BananaBob
07-11-2008, 03:30
Nathanail ek Korinthou enters dressed in a fancy red tunic with dark hose. On his breast is the Orders insignia: a shield with a purple cross. He sees his fellows gathered with Makedonios and gravitates over.

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 03:32
Makedonios takes a pause from conferring with Armatos about Order business to greet Nathanial with a warm smile.

Sergeant! Please get some food and join us. If you happen to see Bart at the food table, be sure to let him know that the table of food isn't going anywhere and he can sit down to eat.

BananaBob
07-11-2008, 03:40
Nathanail gives a delighted laugh
Of course grandmaster! I must say, after years in the levant I am overjoyed to be back, for the time being.
You look in better much physical condition, Makedonios.

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 03:44
Makedonios sighs at the thought of his decades long illness but maintains his smile.

I am feeling a bit better. I'm not over it by any stretch of the imagination but I believe the resting in Antioch has done some good.

He then sips some tea.

BananaBob
07-11-2008, 03:52
Nathanail gives Makedonios a sideways glance, picking up on some form of unease eminating from the man. Not sure if it was his comments or something else, he gives a nod and moves to the food table, giving Makdonios some space.

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 03:55
Makedonios notices Nathanail tense up and quickly says something before the man leaves to get food.

Oh no, it isn't you. I guess I'm just tired of being sick all the time. Go get some food and we can talk some more.

With that, Makedonios gives the Sergeant a comforting smile and proceeds to sip more mint tea.

Ibn-Khaldun
07-11-2008, 08:15
Efstathios bows to Anna and smiles.

Yes I know who she is. I have seen her many times in the city.

Suddenly realized something..

Where are my manners! My congratulations!
And about that war.. Perhaps you two are right. Let's leave it to the future and celebrate tonight.

He smiles and offers a glass of wine to Anna.

Andres
07-11-2008, 11:12
Savvas turns to Ioannis and smiles.

Ah, my dear Ioannis. Allow me to congratulate you wholeheartedly.

I would never refuse a drink from you.

Savvas gives Ioannis a friendly slap on the shoulder and takes a goblet of wine. He sips a bit wine and then looks at Ioannis wedding and engagement rings.

Ah my friend, nice engagement ring and a very nice wedding ring. I hope you'll like the third one as well: the sufferring...

Savvas grinned.

ULC
07-11-2008, 11:17
Iakovos finally makes his way to the ceremony, and although in his best, his clothes, a knee length red chlamys and a white chiton with the Order's purple cross stitch upon the chest, emanate the same weariness that crosses his face. Iakovos spies both food and Makedonios, and decides to speak to Makedonios first.

"Grandmaster, it is good to see you. Forgive me for being tardy, I have had another...jarring experience earlier. How are things proceeding, and were is the lovely bride and her groom? I'd like give her my congratulations and best wishes.

Iakovos's tone of voice makes it very clear, perhaps to much, about his opinions on the matter.

deguerra
07-11-2008, 13:00
Ioannis shoots Savvas a wide grin but as he looks over to where his new wife is entertaining their guests his features turn more serious.

She is a headstrong woman to be sure. But one must endure minor sufferings sometimes.

He grins at Savvas again.

And you yourself. Any sufferings that you are having to endure?

Rowan
07-11-2008, 14:49
Vartholomaios ambles back to the Orders' table with a tray laden with food and drinks.

Fellow brothers, nice to see you here! The food is most excellent, I warmly suggest you to get some while it lasts.

He offers the Grand Master a glass of orange juice from his tray.

I seem to have gathered some extra supplies for myself, please have this one! I would have brought some more but I didn't know you had arrived. But now, I have some food to attend to.

Bart dives into the food like he hadn't seen a decent meal in years. After a while he eases up somewhat and starts to pay marginal attention to the conversations around him.

Andres
07-11-2008, 15:05
And you yourself. Any sufferings that you are having to endure?

Savvas shrugs.

Apart from the occasional hangover after a night of, eh, increasing morale of the troops and eh, enhancing my, hmmm... conversational skills with women, not much really.

I came back from the Belgrade region for your wedding, since I hold both you and the Princess in high esteem. I guess this says much about the amount of action I get over there. Apart from patrolling the area and guarding the frontier, nothing really happens. It's been too many years since my last serious battle. I'm usually a man of peace, who enjoys the pleasures of the flesh, but my sword arm starts itching, especially in the face of those damnable Catholics with their fanatic nutjob of a pope...

Savvas came closer to Ioannis and whispered, glaring at Makedonios.

Talking about religeous nutjobs, it seems that our good friend the Grandmaster should consume stronger beverages then tea and orange juice. He doesn't look quite happy today. I tried to make him laugh, but my little joke made him even more unhappy. The guy should really lighten up a bit more. Drinking wine won't send his eternal soul to hell...

Savvas shakes his head in disapproval.

Privateerkev
07-11-2008, 15:14
Makedonios had just started sipping his tea after Nathanail left to procure food when Iakvos arrived. He smiled at his Sergeant.

Ah Iakovos! Glad you could make it. Don't worry about being tardy. I have a feeling this party will last for quite a while. The Princess is around here somewhere attending to guests and I think I saw Ioannis head out to the balcony.

Just then, Bart arrived with a large amount of food and drink. Makedonios smiles jovially.

Bart, we were worried you got lost.

Makedonios happily accepts the orange juice.

And thank you. It's not easy to get many kinds of fruits where we are.

Realizing orange juice and tea probably wouldn't go well together, he sets the tea down and gulps the refreshing OJ.

TheFlax
07-11-2008, 18:12
With a soft gesture of her hand, Anna declines the offered wine.

"I'd rather not."

Her features becomes inscrutable as she studies Efstathios.

"So this is the newest addition to House Asteri then. We should ensure we are off to a good start then, since you will be seeing much more of me from here on end."

A faint smile appears on her thin lips.

"A toast?"

AussieGiant
07-11-2008, 20:19
Noticing the now near full hall but no sign of the Basileus, Apionnas makes he way out onto the balcony for some air.

Ibn-Khaldun
07-11-2008, 22:35
A toast to our beatiful princess and her noble husband! May you two live long and prosperous life.

Efstathios raises his glass of wine and drinks it to the bottom.

But now could you excuse me because I think I saw an old friend.

Efstathios bows to Anna and nods to Kosmas and hurries to the place where he thinks he saw his friend.

ULC
07-11-2008, 23:37
Iakovos thanks Makedonios and begins weaving his way through the crowd to find the Princess. he spots her with Kosmas and Efstathios.

"Princess, it is good to see you after so long. How have you been..oh, and my heartfelt congratulations to you."

TheFlax
07-12-2008, 00:20
Anna smiles as Iakovos approaches.

"I have been well enough, it is good to see you as well."

Motioning to Kosmas.

"Are you acquainted with my good friend Kosmas Mavrozomis?"

ULC
07-12-2008, 02:11
Iakovos offers his hand to Kosmas.

"No, I don't believe we have met before, but I have heard much."

Zim
07-12-2008, 05:05
Kosmas shakes Iavkovos' hand

"I have heard much of you, as well. You are the one spearheading the effort to build a university in Antioch, are you not?"

ULC
07-12-2008, 05:24
Iakovos smiles and nods at Kosmas

"Yes, and things seem to be going exceptionally well. The Princess's patronage has helped greatly in the speed of it's construction, but if not for the zealousness of the workers, we wouldn't even have as much done as we do now. I do hope the Princess will take the offer of being Dean for the first term.

Iakovos smiles, raising a glass, that he had picked up on the way over, to Anna before sipping from it. Iakovos turns to Kosmas and continues.

"I've heard you stepped down from leading House Asteri, may I ask how you've kept yourself busy for so long?"

Zim
07-12-2008, 05:34
Kosmas finishes off the rest of his glass and sets it down.

"Oh, I've been spending a lot of time traveling of late, to Belgrade to meet the man that rescued one of my House's settlements, and to Constantinople. Mostly, though I spend my time looking for manuscripts to add to my library, from time to timetrying my hand at copying one or two."

OOC: Just been informed that since this wedding is frozen in 1101, Kosmas' has not taken place yet. Congrats will have to wait a bit, I suppose. :D

_Tristan_
07-12-2008, 22:13
Heading over to where the princess is going from one guest to the next, Methodios bows low when he reaches her.

Your Highness, please receive my most heartfelt congratulations on this day...

Sir Kalameteros is a most fortunate man to have you by his side for the rest of his life...

Here's to you and your new husband lifting his cup To a happy and fulfilled life !!!

TheFlax
07-12-2008, 22:26
Her polite smile seems to grow as Methodios pronounces his toast.

"That is most kind of you Senator Tagaris. I have heard quite a bit of you of late; tell me, how goes your campaign in the Balkans?"

_Tristan_
07-12-2008, 22:32
Seeing the warm smile on the princess's lips, Methodios smiles back, though a brief sadness passes in his eyes.

My pleasure, your Highness...

As for my campaign, it is quite calm at the moment... Our Megas doesn't hold me in his heart to say the least, so I have no means to go to the rescue of Zagreb... I feel I've let these people down... The Hungarians have not been able to protect them...

But enough of this sad news... Today is a day for rejoicing... Could I hope to invite you for a dance, your Highness ?

TheFlax
07-12-2008, 22:58
She held back a soft chuckle.

"My, how very forward of you. I fear you ask the wrong person, only my husband may grant you that request."

Andres
07-13-2008, 00:54
OOC: I'd love to congratulate the bride, but I can't walk away from the groom just like that. That would be rude... Not that he's much fun, it's been two days since he has said anything on his own party. I'm just imagining myself how Savvas is standing there for 2 days, next to a silent guy, both gaining dust on the balcony :laugh4:

deguerra
07-13-2008, 00:56
:laugh4: The groom apologies profoundly, he has been busy.

Savvas, have you met my new wife yet? Come, I will introduce you.

Andres
07-13-2008, 19:21
I still haven't congratulated the bride!

Savvas follows Ioannis

_Tristan_
07-13-2008, 19:59
Methodios smiles a mischievous smile at Anna.

Forward... Yes, you're not the first to say I push a bit too far, your Highness...

I will ask your husband for his permission, then.

By your leave...

Methodios bows then goes to find Ioannis, turning back once towards Anna.

deguerra
07-14-2008, 00:22
Ioannis leads Savvas over to his wife and gives her a brief smile.

Anna, this is Comes Savvas ek Militou. I suggest you watch your tongue around him, he is quite capable with language.

Giving a cheeky grin to Savvas he continues.

Savvas, my lovely wife, Anna.

TheFlax
07-14-2008, 01:09
Anna gives a knowing smile to both men and addresses her husband.

"Dear husband, Savvas and I are already acquainted."

Then she turns to Savvas.

"It is a pleasure to be in your presence once more. I do hope you are enjoying yourself?"

Andres
07-14-2008, 09:05
Savvas makes a perky bow for Anna, smiling at her.

"Mylady, my congratulations on this beautiful day."

Savvas slaps himself on the forehead.

"Oh, I completely forgot! I have a present for each of you. Mylady, one of the mercenaries in my army, is a former arabic horse merchant. I took him with me on the market at Constantinople were one of his former colleagues sells the finest horses and guess what? Tomorrow morning, an arabic mare will be delivered for you at the Palace."

Savvas takes a parchment out of his sleeve.

"This document contains information about the bloodlines of the horse."

Savvas turns to Ioannis.

"And for you, my friend, I have something that, just like marriage, gets only better with age. 8 barrels of my finest wine. I've asked my servants to deliver it at your estate."

Savvas overlooked the wedding party.

"I'm hoping your father arrives soon mylady, so that we can start with music and dance."

Savvas turns back to Ioannis.

"I hope the groom wouldn't mind me dancing with the bride later on this evening? Unless the groom prefers me to dance with him?" Savvas said, slapping Ioannis on the shoulder in a jovial manner.

deguerra
07-14-2008, 09:11
I thank you kindly for the wine, it is much appreciated.

I think the Basileos may not grace us with his presence this night, Savvas. So drink and be merry now, before it is too late.

Ioannis grins at Savvas

As for the dance, you know I would never refuse an offer from you. But in any case, you have my permission to dance with my wife, on condition that you tell her about my "suffering".

ULC
07-14-2008, 09:45
Savvas, Ioannis, it is good to see you. The ceremony is off to a good start, and the drink and food is delicious, it reminds me of my mothers cooking.

Andres
07-14-2008, 10:04
"It's highly unfortunate that our esteemed Basileus can't be present tonight."

Savvas turned towards Anna.

"I sincerely hope he's doing well, mylady. Didn't he...?"

Savvas stopped at the interruption by Iakovos.

"Ah, dear Iakovos. Your mother must be a real cooking princess. The ascetic lifestyle of the Order must be difficult for you..."

Savvas' suddenly face lightened up when he heard the musicians setting in the hasapiko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasapiko) and he immediately offered his arm to Anna.

"Dear Iakovos, dear Ioannis, can you please excuse me? Duty calls... Mylady, can I escort you to the group of dancers?"

TheFlax
07-14-2008, 12:53
Anna takes the offered arm and gives a radiant smile to Savvas.

"Since you ask so nicely and have my husband's leave..."

Andres
07-14-2008, 13:20
Savvas returned the smile and escorted Anna towards the dancers.

"It's good to see you smile, princess!"

Having approached the dancers, Savvas grabbed Anna's hand and the hand of another dancer in the circle, jumped up and shouted: "And hop we go!" and joined the fast version of the hasapiko, constantly singing and with an expression of pure joy on his face.

ULC
07-14-2008, 13:21
Iakovos taps Methodios on the shoulder to get his attention without attracting it from everyone else. He whispers his next words.

"Methodios, may I speak with you? In private?"

_Tristan_
07-14-2008, 21:31
Turning to see who so unceremoniously tapped him on the shoulder, Methodios turns with a glare. Seeing that it is a man in Order cloths, his face softens.

But of course... Lead on, my friend... Order sergeants are always welcome by my side.

The garden, perhaps ?

Excuse me, with so many men in the order, I can't exactly place your name and rank...

Waiting for an answer, Methodios leads the man towards the garden.