PDA

View Full Version : Traits and Recruitment

lobf
07-20-2008, 00:00
I was thinking about this while reading about Quintus Sertorius the other day. I am pretty ignorant of the man and his exploits, but I read that the force of his personality inspired locals to fight with him, and allowed him to create a stable, if short-lived, governorship. I personally don't believe that any individual men can change much in the long run in history, but I was curious if some short term benefits could be extended to particularly influential or heroic characters in EBII.

I've never modded these games, so these suggestions may be entirely possible, but it can't hurt to throw them out there.

Can traits/ancillaries be attached to recruitment in any way? For instance, a trait/ancillary that says this man is very popular with the Iberian masses. It could enable recruitment of special units for that character in designated cities. Or a trait that allows the construction of a special MIC while he's in the city that could enable recruitment of those units. If I'm not mistaken, M2TW allows a cap to be placed on how many of a certain unit are produced, so that could keep the option from being exploited. Or perhaps if traits/ancillaries could be tied to the mercenary pool to enable hiring of special units.

These units could be small groups of high-end nobles or piles cheap levy spear men, but have their recruitment/upkeep discounted. If this is possible it could add a bit of spice to recruitment and make role-playing a little more interesting.

So, possible?

cmacq
07-20-2008, 10:17
About this Quintus Sertorius, don't believe everything you read. Much of it is recent revisionist BS, based on some anti-something or another (which I'll not go into), with no historical basis. Please read both Sertorius and Pompey, in lives by Plutarch. He was not a heroic characters.

BozosLiveHere
07-20-2008, 16:28
Yes. Check Byg's Grim Reality for Stainless Steel for an example. We probably won't use it though, as the code demands a lot of monitors (as in, thousands) in the script and that can severely slow down turn times.

TWFanatic
07-25-2008, 16:13
We probably won't use it though, as the code demands a lot of monitors (as in, thousands) in the script and that can severely slow down turn times.

And we can't have that can we!

Foot
07-25-2008, 17:01
And we can't have that can we!

We do try to keep the balance of the script down and weigh the benefits of a given script against the lag it will apply in game.

Foot

TWFanatic
07-25-2008, 18:11
Will there be far less script in M2TW then?

Foot
07-25-2008, 18:28
Thats impossible to say that this moment in time. But as always we balance lag against benefits to gameplay.

Foot

lobf
07-29-2008, 09:58
About this Quintus Sertorius, don't believe everything you read. Much of it is recent revisionist BS, based on some anti-something or another (which I'll not go into), with no historical basis. Please read both Sertorius and Pompey, in lives by Plutarch. He was not a heroic characters.

I was more interested in the idea of particularly influential or charismatic men having special recruitment options, but I appreciate the heads up. Would you (or anyone) PM me about what this revisionism is about?

Yes. Check Byg's Grim Reality for Stainless Steel for an example. We probably won't use it though, as the code demands a lot of monitors (as in, thousands) in the script and that can severely slow down turn times.

I played M2 a few times and was not impressed enough to shell out the cash for it until some good realism mods came out, so I don't know much about the game or it's current projects. It's too bad to hear that this idea is so resource-heavy. I just always figure it can't hurt to put out whatever ideas I have for EB2. Who knows what you've considered or not?