PDA

View Full Version : Duelling

pdoyle007
07-24-2008, 08:55
The latest Video shows how the animators worked to develop duelling between two characters. Some is obviously when two soldiers engage each other in melee combat in a battle, however some looks to be more formal.

Could there be an option where one of your Generals can 'call out' another character? This could be used to increase his dread/chivalry depending on how the developers see it, but also to eliminate annoying family members on the end of your sword? Or call out enemy generals to either rid yourself of them, or if they decline make them lose face infront of their troops?

Not all duels would have to be to the death but would allow familt members to gain a new type of positive trait away from the battlefield?

pevergreen
07-24-2008, 10:35
I would doubt this system could/would be implemented. I believe a CA rep said that footage was partly in game stuff and some CGI stuff.

Edit: Welcome to the .org!

Mailman653
07-24-2008, 17:17
I thought it only applied to agents (spies, diplomats, etc)

Martok
07-24-2008, 19:16
Yeah, I was under the impression that the dueling scenes were for between agents.

PBI
07-24-2008, 19:24
Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about the agent movies. Will Empires definitely have them?

Maybe there could be a trait such as "Fearsome Duelist" which would give bonuses against assassination.

pdoyle007
07-25-2008, 14:43
I can't see how duelling could apply to agents, if wouldn't fit to have two merchants duel, or an assassin duel a priest/princess. Even assassin on assassin wouldn't work as they basically want to put themselves in the least amount of danger.

I though duelling would be a public way of increasing you family members traits, 'Fearsome Duellist' would inspire his men and have a high chivalry rating. If you got wounded in a duel it might affect your movement points or hitpoints.

Kobal2fr
07-25-2008, 20:18
I could see a duellist assassin - basically a swordsman who'd go to such and such court, insult the target so bad he has to redeem his honor by a sword or pistol duel, then the trained duellist dispatches him "legally", without causing such a diplomatic fuss, à la geisha. Deniability, deniability, deniability :). Regular assassins would get the usual hijinks with gunpowder plots and sniper shots.

I don't think that's what they're going to do though, the duel thing is probably more for intro movies, or maybe guards catching spies... Still, one can dream.

Caius
07-30-2008, 20:01
From my point of view, those dules will be applied to naval battles, if the systems allow it. When the ships are very near one and the other, one could try to "abord" (not sure about the right word to describe it) the other ship. They could use powder-guns, and then use swords and engage in fight (and duels maybe). And the generals could use a bit of training to improve their skills.

Or they could use the real duels to make good animations for battle in-game.

RoadKill
08-06-2008, 06:55
Sorry to poop your party, but the game won't be having diplomats. They also stated that the number of agents will decrease DRAMATICLY. Meaning they arn't of much importance anymore. A little off topic, but now you can just talk to any nation you want. Also the dueling seems to be for admirals for the navies, and the generals on the battlefields.

Mailman653
08-06-2008, 21:43
Also the dueling seems to be for admirals for the navies, and the generals on the battlefields.

Perhaps, but if you watch the motion capture video, you can see briefly what the two duelist look like in cgi and they look more like "agents" or "noblemen" than generals or naval officers.

rajpoot
08-07-2008, 06:00
Sorry to poop your party, but the game won't be having diplomats. They also stated that the number of agents will decrease DRAMATICLY. Meaning they arn't of much importance anymore.

That does not mean that they can't have movies for them. They said it'll be a whole new system all right, and the none of the agents would be on the world map, but they can still have a video clip playing for them.

SirGrotius
08-08-2008, 19:13
That's a cool idea--I'd like to have "dueling" traits.

Galapagos
08-09-2008, 11:52
It would be nice to have a duel between two generalls and the one that loses should surrender his army or something.

Mailman653
08-09-2008, 18:42
It would be nice to have a duel between two generalls and the one that loses should surrender his army or something.

That would suck if you had a massive army and lost all of it cause your general was a crappy duelist :laugh4:

Trait:Bad duelist: Will cower in the face of a gun, -10 leadership plus surrenders army.

Sabuti
08-09-2008, 21:04
The clip showed a carage and the setting was some kind of park in a city or estate. Maybe it's possible for two generals from the same faction to have a rivalry that eventually leads to a duel in a duel. It could also involve a lathario trait.

Galapagos
08-10-2008, 11:06
That would suck if you had a massive army and lost all of it cause your general was a crappy duelist :laugh4:

Trait:Bad duelist: Will cower in the face of a gun, -10 leadership plus surrenders army.

Well you could accept or not accept if someone challenges you.

Mailman653
08-10-2008, 20:44
Well you could accept or not accept if someone challenges you.

You could still be looked upon as a coward :laugh4:

Trait: Coward: Is seen poorly in the eyes of his men, -5 leadership

Caius
08-10-2008, 22:33
Trait: Coward: This man weakness is the enemy. He would prefer to surrender before fighting
There you go.

Mailman653
08-11-2008, 01:31
There you go.

Imagine if a faction leader had that :surrender2:

Naefen
08-15-2008, 08:47
I want:

Retinue
Cassanova
+5 Charm
+5 Duel
All princesses fall for you

koko198
08-17-2008, 02:32
Wait would chaos, skaven etc they fight by the rules and it wouldn't be very realistic. Maybe if a human fights a rebel human general...

pevergreen
08-17-2008, 10:07
Perhaps you are mistaken koko, this is not a Warhammer Fantasy mod, rather an 18th Century game. Chaos and Skaven would not quite fit into a world with ships of the line.

Hopefully a mod/Tosa can use their Warpstone powers? :laugh4: