PDA

View Full Version : Will Philetaerus make babies?

General Appo
07-25-2008, 21:10
Greetings. I realise this can be quite a sensitive subject, and so will try to get right to the point.
The ruler of Pergamon at the starting time of EB was as the EB team is no doubt aware Philetaerus (or Philétairos) and as the EB team is probably also aware, Philetaerus was according to all known sources a Eunuch.
The reason for this can perhaps be left untouched, but what I am wondering is this: How exactly will this be implemented in the game? I understand if some people (say Eumenes I) will be put as his sons because the engine won´t have it any other way, but will Philetaerus have a trait revealing his state?
Now that I think about it Philetaerus will probably be too old when the game starts (let´s see here... 61 years old?) to actually make kids, and he would probably be the only one with the trait, so maybe it´s not needed. A simple mention of it in his biography would probably do it. Yes, I guess that would be most convinient. Damn. :wall:

Tellos Athenaios
07-25-2008, 22:12
The fact that Philetairos was a Eunuch wouldn't have mattered much from a strategical-political perspective; not even in his ability to "get kids"... As to what we will do about traits and stuff: wait & see...

General Appo
07-25-2008, 23:48
Yeah, my originally worry was that he´d be able to get kids of his own in the game, which would be horribly wrong, but considering how old he´ll be that is unlikely to be a problem.

Hax
07-26-2008, 01:03
Actually, this is something that has been troubling me in my own mod. I guess there's no way to make people not marry, is there? Now that I've come to think of it, IIRC, Philetairos had two brothers, named Eumenes and Attalos.

Now, Eumenes had two sons, named Eumenes and Philetairos.

Attalos had a son, named Attalos (father to Attalos I). That Attalos had a son too, which he named Attalos (Attalos I). Attalos I had two sons, named Philetairos and...Attalos! Apparently, the Attalids had very little inspiration when it came to names.

TWFanatic
07-26-2008, 03:27
Marrying doesn't really matter that much AFAIK. Can't you just give him some -100% fertility trait? Is there such a thing? If there isn't perhaps you could create a "eunuch" trait that simply decreases fertility by 100%.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-26-2008, 08:12
One problem is that no matter how much you decrease fertility, if you have no other way of gaining more family members, the game will force the person to have children.

I Am Herenow
07-26-2008, 09:05
Maybe you could just give them all an Adopted trait if their father has the Eunuch trait?

Tellos Athenaios
07-26-2008, 09:48
Actually it shouldn't be all that much of a problem if you make sure Pergamon starts with adult FM's aplenty; the significantly decreased fertility of the father + the fact he has "children" already would make the game focus on the other FM's when it gets to securing the family line...

I Am Herenow
07-26-2008, 18:07
I see - but what about on the off chance that he did inexplicably have children (i.e. on that one out of every hundred campaigns, to invent some numbers, that it does happen), or can the probability be made 0?

On a related note, will there be a Eunuch trait for non-starting FMs? If so then, again, what about them?

TWFanatic
07-27-2008, 03:32
Ah, I see. Tricky this traiting busines.