PDA

View Full Version : Books to read before Empires is released

batemonkey
08-13-2008, 17:43
I love a good history book (I'm sure I'm in good company round here!)

So i thought we could compile a list of good books about the general history and tactics deployed in the time period to be covered by Empire.

I'll start off:

Command of the Ocean - N.A.M. Rodgers

As you would expect by the title this is a book (part of a trilogy) about the Royal Navy, this particular volume is esp concerned with the time period covered and is bloody ace.

I read it when it came out a couple of years ago, but will defo read again before Empires is released.

Cheers

Alex

ThePianist
08-15-2008, 05:19
Empires of the Sea: the Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto and the contest for the center of the world
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vuXEhyr%2BL._SS500_.jpg

I read the whole book. About as exciting as action movie script, with plenty of historical details, written like some intense AAR.
This is a little before ETW's time era, from the early 1500s to the late 1500s. The book is made in three parts, a bit like a trilogy.
1 - Siege of Rhodes
2 - Siege of Malta + pirate wars
3 - Siege of Cyprus + Battle of Lepanto

Those who played RTW would know exactly where Rhodes is (with one of the Seven Wonders of the world). Malta is a little island south of Syracuse; the distance between Malta and Syracuse is about the same as from Lilybaeum to Carthage, and closer than from Crete to Sparta. In other words, very close. Cyprus, well, every RTW fan knows where that is. And Lepanto is a bay on the Greek coast, roughly around Thermon.

Siege of Rhodes, Siege of Malta and Siege of Cyprus are all land battles, and each one is like Alamo, multiplied a thousands times. It's siege warfare with arquebus and cannons, trench battles and a lot of sword and hand-to-hand battles. Different ways of resisting a massive Ottoman amphibious invasion. Some won and some lost. For spoilers I won't say which one (though you can simply find out by Wikipedia, but it's better to not know and read the book).

Battle with the pirates and battle of Lepanto were naval wars, and very exciting to read. Also, the book talks about the origin and rise of the Barbary Pirates, also the origin of the vestigial fear&awe associated with pirates. They were, in the mediterranean at least, Islamic jihadis and raided coast destroying towns and carrying captives to be sold as slaves in North Africa. Barbarossa (red-beard) was a actual person, a Turk by the name of Orcun with red hair. Orcun however was enslaved by the Knights of St-John, so the sides are not all black and white, unfortunately. The states of Europe were very weak at that time, and the Ottoman Empire (named after Osman, or Uthman, the 3rd original Caliph of the Muslims) was expanding till the gate of Vienna. It had roughly the land area of East Roman Empire at the start of BI, plus North Africa because of Barbary pirates. In the Mediterranean, the Ottomans were expanding till the coast of Italy.

It's a very well written and researched book of epic battles, both land and sea.

Excerpt that I don't remember word for word, so I paraphrase:

during the battle of Cyprus:
Venetian (from city-state of Venice) commander decides to lay an ambush for the Ottoman Turks after several days of siege. In the meantime, a Venetian fleet came rampaging through the Ottoman fleet off shore, but the Venetians didn't have enough ships to end the blockade of Cyprus. After some combat, the Venetian fleet left during the night.
Before daybreak the Venetian commander (in a besieged city on Cyprus) ordered that all the flags be taken down and no one is to stir and no smoke or any sign of life be revealed. After sunrise, the Turks saw that no one was on the city ramparts, no flags were flying and there was no sound whatsoever. They then assumed that all the Venetians were evacuated by sea during the night with the departing Venetian fleet. There was a massive rush towards the city walls.
When the Turks were in firing distance, the entire Venetian garrison stood from behind the ramparts where they were hiding, and sent volleys into the massed ranks of totally surprised Turks....And that way they beat back another attack on the besieged city.

during the battle of Malta (or, should I say, Thermopylae):
It was terrible trench warfare and tunneling (RTW vocabulary: sap point) by the Ottomans to take over the fort of St. Elmo (lol, several hundred years ago, they probably didn't expect a stuffed animal to be named after the same name). The Turks had many hundreds of sharpshooters aiming their arquebus all day ready to shoot anything poking over the ramparts. Anyone firing muskets or throwing hand-grenades (they actually made those) or trying to halt the construction of siege equipment had high probability of getting shot. The casualties were mounting and each dead Turk had another ten stepping up to take the place, but each dead defender of St. Elmo fort had no replacement. They used fire rings (I forgot the name in the book), rings that were used around wine barrels, were dipped in tar, dried, painted over with flammable substance, dipped in tar again, dried, painted over again, dipped in tar again, and so on. The result were rings thick as tires. [some pages in between I don't remember] The Ottomans mounted another assault with the elite janissaries troops leading, the defense was breached and innumerable Turks poured over the outer wall, the combat went by the sword and hand to hand. Fire rings were lit, and thrown among the assault waves. It lit the Turkish soldiers on fire, then screaming and running they lit others on fire. The fiery rings went rolling and bouncing among the Ottomans....and they somehow drove back the Ottomans. Some hundreds of janissary troops lay dead in the ditch, along with a substantial portion of the defenders.

during the battle of Lepanto (of 1571), the largest naval battle in the world at that time, and the largest casualty rate until WWI:
The Italians, Spanish and Venetians had musket soldiers on their ships. The Ottomans had soldiers with musket as well as many archers. The archer can fire 30 arrows during the reload time of a firearm. In battle [some ship from Europe] was struck by some many arrows that they seemed to grow out of the mast. [pages in between] Then moorings were thrown and soldiers from both sides swung aboard the other ships with swords and scimitars. The admiral (or some general, I think Don Juan)'s pet monkey was seen, during the rain of arrows, pulling them out one by one from the mast with its teeth.

HopAlongBunny
08-17-2008, 02:13
Birth of the Modern World, 1780-1914

Mount Suribachi
08-17-2008, 14:58
Rifles by Mark Urban. Written mainly using the letters and diarys of 6 members of the regiment of Rifles, in a style very similar to Band Of Brothers, it follows them from formation in England, to fighting in the Peninsular War, to Waterloo. Because so much of the book quotes directly the words of the men themselves, it has a realism that is unforced. And if you ever read Sharpe and thought it was far-fetched, think again. Those boys were proper soldiers.

Also 1812, about Nappys invasion of Russia (and the retreat). Again, quotes a lot of primary sources, and the story of the retreat is very harrowing - human tragedy on an epic scale which only reinforces by lack of admiration for Napoleon.

Laudon
08-18-2008, 07:43
The military experience in the Age of Reason by Christopher Duffy. Excellent small book. Also, for readers more interested in Seven Years War all other Duffy´s works, especially his new By force of arms.

batemonkey
08-18-2008, 13:58
Some great suggestions so far, i've got my holiday leave coming up so i think a trip to the bookshop is in order.

Rifles sounds good, esp if i team it up with the Sharpe boxed set i've just bought ;)

JR-
08-20-2008, 12:46
Dreadnaught: Britain, Germany, and the coming of the Great War
Robert K. Massie

DisruptorX
08-23-2008, 01:35
Empires of the Sea: the Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto and the contest for the center of the world
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vuXEhyr%2BL._SS500_.jpg[IMG]

I read the whole book. About as exciting as action movie script, with plenty of historical details, written like some intense AAR.
This is a little before ETW's time era, from the early 1500s to the late 1500s. The book is made in three parts, a bit like a trilogy.
1 - Siege of Rhodes
2 - Siege of Malta + pirate wars
3 - Siege of Cyprus + Battle of Lepanto

snip.

All fascinating stuff, that I'd recommend anyone read up on. But thats actually stuff that can be recreated in Medieval 2, which lasts well into the late 1500s.

Another good book I read on the seige of Malta was "The Great Seige: Malta 1565".

RodeoX
08-30-2008, 17:43
I would add "Master and Commander" although it takes place after the time of the game, it is informative about naval warfare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander

The_Doctor
08-30-2008, 18:03
Sharpe.:2thumbsup:

Sol Invictus
08-31-2008, 21:26
I agree, Wellington's Rifles by Urban is a really good book. The Military Experience in the Age of Reason by Duffy is also excellent. From Flintlock to Rifle by Steven Ross is a small book that I never tire of re-reading. I also really like The Age of Battles by Russel Weighley and With Musket, Cannon, and Sword by Brent Nosworthy.

Ishmael
09-02-2008, 04:08
"Turn around and run like hell"

its a book of unortodox miltary tactics, and two or three apply to or are set in the time period of empire.

Hosakawa Tito
09-19-2008, 19:36
Here's an interesting history on the privateer war on British shipping during the American Revolution. I enjoyed it and would recommend this book by Robert Patton.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/hoppy84/patriotpirates.jpg

Martok
09-19-2008, 21:04
Thanks for the reference, Hosa. :thumbsup: I take it I'd be able to find this under non-fiction/historical, then?

Hosakawa Tito
09-19-2008, 21:42
Thanks for the reference, Hosa. :thumbsup: I take it I'd be able to find this under non-fiction/historical, then?

Yes you should Martok. Here's a link to Barnes & Noble: Patriot Pirates (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Patriot+Pirates)

Martok
09-19-2008, 21:51
:bow:

Will see if I can find myself a copy, methinks....

LadyAnn
09-20-2008, 06:30
For one of the most famous battles of the Era:

The Battle, by Alessandro Barbero (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Battle/Alessandro-Barbero/e/9780802714534)

The book is not an easy read, but it shows the circumstance of the battle. English Empire fans take note: the author wasn't too kind on the notion of "English supremacy" in the battle, nor on Sir Wellington. While Napoleon did make several mistakes that day, the book also shows why he made some of these mistakes. The book only focus on the days of the battle, not the entire Napoleonic Wars.

Annie

Monsieur Alphonse
09-20-2008, 07:04
C. S. Forrester Hornblower the entire series. Nice fiction but an excellent account about naval warfare and sea men's life during the Napoleonic era.

Julius_Nepos
09-25-2008, 06:56
The book I'm reading right now might in fact be relevant here. It's called Religion, Commerce and Liberty: 1683-1793 by J. W. Jeudwine. Just started it myself. Of course its out of print and might be hard to find but I'm using it as a primer for ETW too since my knowledge of the 18th century post-Spanish Succession War is sketchy at best. I could also recommend A History of Europe 1715-1814: by W. F. Reddaway. That's also out of print but it is quite relevant to ETW's time frame.

I might also mention one other book, but it could be even more difficult to come by. This one is called Rise and Fall of the Mughal Empire by R. P. Tripathi. I haven't had a chance to read it yet and my copy was printed in India (first such book I've come across). It covers a period proximate to 1500-1800. Since ETW deals with India and the Mughals in one sense or another this might be worth looking into.

ljperreira
10-18-2008, 06:29
Sharpe.:2thumbsup:

I agree, Cornwall's "Sharpe" series is great. Im actually reading them through again (Im on "Sharpe's Battle"). Ive read them all once before, but since theres 20 books Ive forgotten enough details to make the second time through just as interesting as the first (its been a while since reading them the first time).

Narhon
10-23-2008, 16:14
Clausewitz's on War, "Horatio Hornblower", "Rifleman Dodd", Moltke "On the Art of War" :book:

Hosakawa Tito
10-27-2008, 19:38
Six Frigates :The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
Ian W. Toll

A good read, and not just the founding of the US Navy. There's lots of information on the global political climate as well.

Oleander Ardens
10-27-2008, 21:06
On War, Clausewitz

Yeah, Clausewitz is always a fine and entertaining read. "On War" is an evergreen and ever lasting work about war, with the added premium that Clausewitz had hand-on experience with Napoleonic warfare. Without any shade of doubt the most influential treaty on warfare and its implications ever written.

Nelson
10-28-2008, 04:11
The Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler.

If you read just one book about Napoleonic warfare this ought to be it. Chandler covers strategy and tactics in detail.

Ituralde
10-28-2008, 09:46
I'm currently reading: "Iron Kingdom, the Rise and Fall of Prussia, 1600-1947" by Christopher Clark.
A lot of it is outside the timeframe, but man do I want to play Prussia now! :2thumbsup:

Hosakawa Tito
11-16-2008, 12:09
Just started Champlain's Dream by David Hackett Fischer.

Fisherking
11-16-2008, 16:05
If you like a good narrative history and want background on North America then try The Winning of America Series by Allan W. Eckert.

It is mostly pre-American Revelation and very readable.

Eusebius86
11-16-2008, 22:59
These lists have been rather helpful. I just created an amazon wishlist for Christmas with many of these books in it.

What do people consider to be the BEST book on 18th century naval tactics? I want to learn them like the back of my hand so that I can try to implement them in ETW...

Alexander the Pretty Good
11-17-2008, 03:43
Almost done re-reading another David Hackett Fischer book, Washington's Crossing. Not only does it describe in detail the battles of Trenton and Princeton, but much of the New York campaign leading up to it, as well as the guerilla war in New Jersey following the crossing. A very good read, I wonder if ETW will deal with guerilla warfare at all...

Hosakawa Tito
11-17-2008, 16:14
Just started Champlain's Dream by David Hackett Fischer.

I'm a little over 100+ pages in and am thoroughly fascinated with this book. There is a wealth of information on the European colonization of the New World, concentrating on but not limited to New France and the part that Samuel Champlain played in this. There are many maps & diagrams of the period penned by Champlain & others included in this work. History buffs rejoice. I definitely recommend this book; especially for those that are interested in ETW and the period in history this covers. Looking for a good Christmas gift for yourself? Ask for this book.

Veho Nex
11-17-2008, 17:26
The charge of the light brigade (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXzCOlPHFmc)?

Don't know who its by(There are several) but, for those of you who don't know the light brigade was a cavalry group who charged into a bunch of artillary and theres a famous poem about it.(again I have no idea if this was a true event or a really good story but none the less.)

Wikipedia: The second column of Russian cavalry was then smashed by the British Heavy Brigade, in an illogical uphill charge that greatly enhanced the image and prestige of the British cavalry, forcing the Russians to retreat to their artillery, which was strategically positioned along the ridges above the valley. Raglan ordered the Light Brigade to "prevent the enemy carrying away the guns", a notably badly-worded instruction that prompted the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade.
The Light Brigade was saved from total destruction by an intervention from the French 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique.

The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

batemonkey
11-18-2008, 14:27
Rifles by Mark Urban. Written mainly using the letters and diarys of 6 members of the regiment of Rifles, in a style very similar to Band Of Brothers, it follows them from formation in England, to fighting in the Peninsular War, to Waterloo. Because so much of the book quotes directly the words of the men themselves, it has a realism that is unforced. And if you ever read Sharpe and thought it was far-fetched, think again. Those boys were proper soldiers.

Also 1812, about Nappys invasion of Russia (and the retreat). Again, quotes a lot of primary sources, and the story of the retreat is very harrowing - human tragedy on an epic scale which only reinforces by lack of admiration for Napoleon.

Finaly got round to getting Rifles, just over halfway through.:book:

Bloomin' Brilliant!

It's like sharpe but better because it's all true.

Thanks for the heads up

Alex

gardibolt
11-19-2008, 18:38
Not a book, but I watched Sergei Bondarchuk's movie Waterloo (1970) last night, and I couldn't help but wonder how you would recreate that battle with ETW. Pretty spectacular for the pre-CGI era.

seskins
11-21-2008, 07:48
The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgewood. Great background on the social, political, and strategic concerns at the beginning of the period of the game.

batemonkey
11-21-2008, 11:39
The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgewood. Great background on the social, political, and strategic concerns at the beginning of the period of the game.

Thanks Seskins! [pops it on crimbo list:san_cheesy:]

Don't really know much about that period so good to mug up

Alex

LadyAnn
11-22-2008, 20:57
The Charge of the Light Brigade was during the Crimean War (March 1854–February 1856). This is an important major conflict contemporary to the American Civil War (1861-1865). This could be an interesting Era for a E:TW expansion pack (E:TW ends with the Napoleonic War, or around 1812).

The Charge was part of the Battle of Balaclava (1854), a battle fought between British and Russian forces. The British Light Brigade has about 650 men. Only 195 survived (with their horses).

There is no need to reinact such a blunder: it was a mistake of command Charge of the Light Brigade Wiki (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2067623) and nothing was gained from that charge.

Anniep

Fisherking
11-23-2008, 12:58
The Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) is a bit on the early side for this game.

This might be of some interest to you. Maps of Europe and North America in the general starting period. :http://www.euratlas.com/history_europe/europe_map_1700.html,
http://etc.usf.edu/Maps/pages/7400/7482/7482.htm
http://www.ambrosevideo.com/resources/documents/113.jpg
Native American Tribes
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/united_states/early_indian_east.jpg
http://www.evolpub.com/ALR/GallatinmapE.jpg

If you have an interest in North American History and don’t know who William Johnson was, you may want to read up on him.

Oleander Ardens
11-24-2008, 13:49
I have reread parts of On War and I'm more deeply impressed after the first read. No wonder it is the most influential book in current military thought. New thoughts spring into your eyes everywhere. John Keegan sadly truly exposes his utter ignorance when criticizing it and seems to have never read it. Even for some "scholars" the philosophy of science is a hard beast to tackle, especially for Angloamericans with their sombre reliance on positivism.

macduro
12-07-2008, 03:58
Those three books are very recomendable for those interest in the Napoleonic era , now I'm looking for some nice books about the American Revolution , but they are hard to find in Spain , were I live.

Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/assets/images/EAN/Large/0349116326.jpg

Fighting Techniques of the Napoleonic Age 1792– - 1815: Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cuzBDSaRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Russian Campaign of 1812 by Carl von Clausewitz

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/16580000/16581674.JPG

Lord Nelson
12-14-2008, 14:26
I would like to suggest a book. For those of you wishing to play as the british. Empire by Niall Ferguson. It helps you get a feel for how the british empire came to be, how they acted, and what there ultimate demise was. Cannot reccomend this enough. If your feeling brave try tackling world at war by him as well. its not really the same timeline. but still a cracking read about war.

Alexander the Pretty Good
12-15-2008, 04:02
Almost done with Champlain's Dream, asked for Patriot Pirates for Christmas.

:2thumbsup:

JR-
12-15-2008, 23:13
My uncle was in the RTR with Allan Mallinson and recommends him as an author.

Hosakawa Tito
12-16-2008, 01:19
I'm currently reading 1777: Year of the Hangman by Glenn F. Williams.
A good read on the bloody frontier wars and Washington's revenge attack on the Iroquois Nation.

Next on the list. Your Fyre Shall Burn No More by Jose Antonio Brandao
Iroquois policy toward New France and its native allies to 1701

Nelson
12-19-2008, 18:59
The Anatomy of Victory: Battle tactics, 1689-1763 by Brent Nosworthy

I just finished this one. Nosworthy gets into the details of what happened during battles. He describes how armies deployed, how they moved and charged and fired. The transition to infantry formations with pikes to without pikes is covered as is the habit of cavalry early in the period to fire prior to melee. He also discusses the differences between the armies and how they evolved during the 18th century. Where the author is particularly strong is the way he tells the reader WHY things were done as they were. There was always a reason.

Bottom line, this book is a real eye opener. Considering the time frame, this as about as good as it gets for a would be Empire:TW player.

Fisherking
12-20-2008, 14:48

I just finished this one. Nosworthy gets into the details of what happened during battles. He describes how armies deployed, how they moved and charged and fired. The transition to infantry formations with pikes to without pikes is covered as is the habit of cavalry early in the period to fire prior to melee. He also discusses the differences between the armies and how they evolved during the 18th century. Where the author is particularly strong is the way he tells the reader WHY things were done as they were. There was always a reason.

Bottom line, this book is a real eye opener. Considering the time frame, this as about as good as it gets for a would be Empire:TW player.

Looks like I won’t be reading that one!

A quick search on amazon.uk reveals only one used copy for 165.95 pounds! I am sure it is good, but we are in a serious finical crises, don’t you know.

Tomisama
12-28-2008, 02:13
Ok! After reading up a bit on the following, I ordered:

1. Fighting Techniques of the Napoleonic Age 1792– - 1815: Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics

(No, this is not Fighting Techniques of the Early Modern World: Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics, although they look the same)

2. Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle

3. The Battle: A New History of Waterloo

(Annie’s recommendation – but cheaper at Amazon :wink: )

They will probably keep me busy for a while (very slow reader), but am also looking at Osprey’s:

British Napoleonic Infantry Tactics 1792–1815

French Napoleonic Infantry Tactics 1792–1815

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/

(Again cheaper at Amazon)

Anyone familiar with Osprey’s 18th century or Napoleonic titles who can make other recommendations?

Lorenzo_H
12-29-2008, 16:52
@Macduro, I used the Trafalgar: Biography of a Battle you mentioned, as a source for my IB Extended Essay. The title of my study was Of what significance were the Royal Navy and the Peninsular War to Napoleon’s fall from dominance in Europe?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trafalgar-Biography-Battle-Roy-Adkins/dp/0349116326/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230565592&sr=1-10

Other sources I used were (and all were very interesting reading):

Redcoat Richard Holmes - a very interesting, deep and comprehensive look at the British soldier, and his life in this entire era. Shows how discipline, training and leadership made these guys the best. Lots of informative and entertaining anecdotes, for sure.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redcoat-British-Soldier-Horse-Musket/dp/0006531520/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230565690&sr=1-1

Trafalgar: The Men, the Battle, the Storm Tim Clayton and Phil Craig - an alternative to the Roy Adkins account, published in the same year. Basically the same, except uses different sources, and is a longer book, giving perhaps even more information, while being written in a more formal, heavy style.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trafalgar-Tim-Clayton-Phil-Craig/dp/034083028X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230565592&sr=1-2

1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow Adam Zamoyski - a beast of a book which pretty much covers everything on this subject (Napoleon's invasion of Russia). Very readable and interesting, gives the impression of being a well balanced account.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/1812-Napoleons-Fatal-March-Moscow/dp/0007123744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230565853&sr=1-1

The Napoleonic Wars Gunther Rothenberg - excellent in terms of background knowledge and getting a feel for the Napoleonic period, illustrations and maps aplenty (that may be why I like it).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Napoleonic-Wars-Cassell-History-Warfare/dp/0304352675/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1230565822&sr=1-2

The Spanish Ulcer: A History of the Peninsular War David Gates - in my opinion the best book on the Peninsular Wars. Quality, coherent and comprehensive. (see, with that illiteration, i could be a journalist).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Ulcer-History-Peninsular-War/dp/0306810832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230565728&sr=1-1

Not all of these books are availible from Amazon.co.uk - but if you really, really wanted to acquire a copy I doubt that would stop you.

Oleander Ardens
01-02-2009, 14:48
Excellent thread so far, with a lot of books to look at.

Hosakawa Tito
01-07-2009, 00:56

I looked this book up on Barnes & Noble and all I could find were used ones for $100. Dang, that's a bit high priced for buying a book sight unseen. Where did you come by your copy, Nelson? Did it really cost that much?

Nelson
01-08-2009, 04:59
I first discovered Nosworthy when I stumbled upon another of his titles, With Musket, Sword and Cannon, at a miniatures convention flea market. When I found out that he had published a similar book about the 18th century I looked for it too and like you and others was dismayed to find just 2 used copies online: $180 and $210! That was the end of that.

Weeks later, at another convention, I searched for a copy among the many book dealers in the exhibit hall. Lo and behold, there on a shelf was a soft cover edition of The Anatomy of Victory. The marked price was $20! But wait! A sign on the shelf said to take another 10% off! So I nabbed it for $18.

I remained unrepentantly smug for the rest of the weekend! :grin:

I looked this book up on Barnes & Noble and all I could find were used ones for $100. Dang, that's a bit high priced for buying a book sight unseen. Where did you come by your copy, Nelson? Did it really cost that much?

Tomisama
01-08-2009, 12:58

$205.25 on Amazon for hardcover, with paperback not available :dizzy2:

On a cheaper note:

I just recived and am very happy with, Fighting Techniques of the Napoleonic Age 1792–1815: Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics (hardcover) for $19.77. It was everything I had hoped, covering 20 battles in detail. It provides full explanations as to why things were like they were, how things worked, and what happened (full enough for me anyway :smile: ).

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Techniques-Napoleonic-Age-1792%C2%96/dp/0312375875/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231414650&sr=1-2

P.S. Great color battlefield graphic diagrams, not shown in Amazons "Search this inside book". But they are there :2thumbsup:

Hosakawa Tito
01-09-2009, 00:49
I first discovered Nosworthy when I stumbled upon another of his titles, With Musket, Sword and Cannon, at a miniatures convention flea market. When I found out that he had published a similar book about the 18th century I looked for it too and like you and others was dismayed to find just 2 used copies online: $180 and $210! That was the end of that.

Weeks later, at another convention, I searched for a copy among the many book dealers in the exhibit hall. Lo and behold, there on a shelf was a soft cover edition of The Anatomy of Victory. The marked price was $20! But wait! A sign on the shelf said to take another 10% off! So I nabbed it for $18.

I remained unrepentantly smug for the rest of the weekend! :grin:

:2thumbsup: Good man that was a steal.

On a cheaper note:

I just recived and am very happy with, Fighting Techniques of the Napoleonic Age 1792–1815: Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics (hardcover) for $19.77. It was everything I had hoped, covering 20 battles in detail. It provides full explanations as to why things were like they were, how things worked, and what happened (full enough for me anyway :smile: ).

Thanks Tomisama! That's more my price range.

Northnovas
01-13-2009, 20:01
Thanks for some of the recommendations. I picked up Urban's book on the 95th. I finally have time to read it! :book:
Hopefully this will be enough of a distraction till the game is released!

Tomisama
01-19-2009, 03:03
Just a follow up for whoever might be interested.

The Fighting Techniques of the Napoleonic Age 1792–1815 proved to be a bit slow going. It is full of great information, but because it is presented in categories rather than chronological order, I found it hard to digest, and started skipping text, and started just reading the battle plates.

My disaffection with the above may have been aided by my simultaneous reading of The Battle: A New History of Waterloo, by Alessandro Barbero. With an unusual style that reads like speaking more than writing (and takes a bit of getting use to), the author masterfully paints out the history of this epic battle of battles, page by page.

I find myself picking it up whenever I can, just to get another page in :yes:

Sol Invictus
01-19-2009, 06:08
Agreed Tomisama, "The Battle" by Barbero was an excellent read. I plan to re-read it befor ETW is released.

batemonkey
01-29-2009, 23:05
HAH, i just went on Amazon to buy this book: Warfare In The Eighteenth Century (Cassell'S History Of Warfare), and it said customers who bought this also bought.... Empire Total War!!

Sir Beane
01-29-2009, 23:08
HAH, i just went on Amazon to buy this book: Warfare In The Eighteenth Century (Cassell'S History Of Warfare), and it said customers who bought this also bought.... Empire Total War!!

A lot of Orgahs must be buying history books to get an edge on battle strategy. :laugh4: It can be scary how good Amazon and other sites are at predicting what you might buy based on purchasing history and search words. :laugh4:

Rufus
02-12-2009, 20:38
1776, by David McCullough. It's easy to forget how perilously close things were to falling apart completely for Gen. Washington and the Continental Army during that celebrated year.

Emperor of Graal
02-12-2009, 21:16
The Sharpe collection (books)
The full name of all the books are

Sharpe's Christmas
Two short stories by Bernard Cornwell (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=39)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Story (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=48)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Tiger (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=1)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Triumph (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=2)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Fortress (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=3)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Trafalgar (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=4)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Prey (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=5)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Rifles (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=6)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Havoc (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=36)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Eagle (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=7)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Gold (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=8)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Escape (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=40)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Fury (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=46)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Battle (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=9)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Company (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=10)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Sword (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=11)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Enemy (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=12)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Honour (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=13)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Regiment (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=14)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Siege (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=15)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Revenge (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=16)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Waterloo (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=17)

The Sharpe Books Sharpe's Devil (http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=18)

USS Providence 1972
02-13-2009, 03:45
Castles of Steel by Massie is an excellent book about naval warfare in WWI. Many of the tactics of naval warfare which will appear in this game are discussed in this book.

USS Providence 1972
02-13-2009, 04:38

I haven't read it but I understand one of the soldiers gets executed by his own comrades. What did he do?