PDA

View Full Version : ReduxVI/2.01 beta/debug thread

Axalon
08-17-2008, 22:48
The MTW-Redux 1.0 VI-upgrade pack (Beta A) is now available. In order for anyone who might be interested in playing redux with a MTW version 2.01, this upgrade pack must be applied after MTW-Redux 1.0 is installed. (The mod itself is available at the regular redux thread, just around the corner).

It is for the sake of clarity I have started this new thread since I wanted a separate and obvious place for debugging-issues regarding only the VI/v2.01-end of things in redux. If you have any posts regarding bugs or other errors (ex. spelling and such) in redux, and you are running it upon a VI/v.2.01 version of Medieval Total War, right here, is without doubt the best place to do it in. Any “VI/v.2.01” bugs and such I find on my own and all related potential fixes for ‘em, I will post such here on this thread. All other stuff (questions, remarks etc.) regarding redux are supposed to be posted at the regular redux thread.

Now, you can get the “MTW-Redux 1.0 VI-upgrade pack (Beta A)” here:

Download link1:
Removed

Download link2:
Removed

- Enjoy

Axalon
08-24-2008, 07:59
TACTICAL UNIT BUG FOUND (in Redux-SPC):

It appears that we finally got our first valid “kill”. Courtesy of Baron von Manteuffels vigilance and good Intel, I finally became aware of this really sneaky and nasty bug and "killed" it for him. When in action this bug truly destroys the design of redux; blocking access to over 30 tactical units, that are supposed to be active or recruitable in the redux-SPC! Due to discrepancies between MTW V1.1 and V2.01 on how they operate on the same “commands” in CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.TXT this bug was born. This is of course utterly unacceptable and a fix has been made for it.

My hat is off to you; Baron von Manteuffel! You just earned yourself a well deserved credit in the coming “official” Redux VI-compatible pack! Many thanks; your hawk-eyes served us all this day! Good Work!

SOLUTION:

To get of rid of the bug and play redux the way it is supposed to be, as in; get about 30+ “new” tactical troops available and active all over in the redux-SPC. Download, install the contents of “MTW-REDUX 1.0 VI_TAC_UNIT_FIX.zip” and play some real redux instead! You can get it here:

Link1:
Removed

Link2:
Removed

(I have also “officially” unlocked all order-related units in this VI-BETA fix (except the foot-knights), making them available with an “Order Palace” built. This way you get about 8 extra recruitable units available as well for the Redux-SPC-VI.)

- Cheers

Baron von Manteuffel
08-25-2008, 05:42
The Germans start with a unit of Feudal Cavalry in Franconia which cannot be upgraded or recruited.

Axalon
08-25-2008, 19:37
Noted and logged.... Thanks. This error is too small for me to do something about it for the time being. Any future fix, I will include this one as well in that.

(For those of you who are not interested in waiting for it; start up GnomeEditor and edit reduxes CRUSADE_UNIT_PROD11.TXT, row: 133, column: 50 and add: “FN_GERMAN_HRE”.)

- Cheers

Baron von Manteuffel
08-25-2008, 20:41
The Germans have ownership of the following units: Footknights, Feudal Footknights, and Imperial Footknights, however in the CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.TXT there are no buildings assigned for the recruitment of these units. Same with the Royal Footknights for the following factions: ENGLISH, FRENCH, ITALIAN, POLISH, SICILIAN, SPANISH, ARAGONESE, BURGUNDIAN, TURKISH, again no buildings assigned for the recruitment of this unit. ~:)

Baron von Manteuffel
08-26-2008, 03:16
Well sorry for double posting. Pagan cultures Norse, and The Lithuanians cannot build a Brothel, so they won't be spying on anyone.

Axalon
08-26-2008, 03:53
This is correct, and it is supposed to be like that. If you want any of these guys (and playing as HRE) you will have to first recruit and then dismount; Frankish Knights, Feudal Knights and Imperial Knights (in that order). This applies to the royal foot Knights as well (dismounted Royal Knights in this case).

Regarding the brothel and pagans (the Norse and Lithuanians), this is also accurate. They won’t be spying anyware. Norsemen don’t spy, they do other stuff…. Basically, it’s all in order there. None the less, keep those sharp eyes of yours open.

(Double post away! Just keep it interesting as you have so far.)

- Cheers

Baron von Manteuffel
08-29-2008, 07:00
Some feedback: The Polish infantry could use a heavier spear unit to hold a battleline. Right now the best they have is a Basic Spearmen. Kind of strange they have Royal Knights but not Royal Spearmen, Royal Infantry, or Royal Guard. No Knights of Dobrzyn help either for poor Poland. Hungary is almost the same, they don't have any of the heavier Royal units, though they do have the Order of the Dragon. The Byzantines, or Eastern Roman Empire, to me look to weak in their infantry units. They have the usual nice assortment of missile units and great looking cavalry but where's the infantry? The Palace Guard (Are they the Varangian Guard?) can only be recruited in Constantinople which really hurts, and then they have Light Spearmen, Byzantine and Armenian infantry. As you can probably tell I favor the spear units especially early in a campaign. The reason being that they're a fairly cheap unit to recruit, usually a large unit, and a defensive unit you need to hold what little you have at the start of a campaign. After I establish a trade network and can afford to do so, I will recruit elite units and have more of a balanced army.

Axalon
08-29-2008, 10:08
Hello good Baron,

Interesting stuff as always and not all roses here either hehe…. I will post a reply for you with my comments (soon) on the regular thread since this is basically a design matter, for the time being at least (however, I got that you are not pleased with all things since you posted here).

-----

NEW ERRORS CHARTED: I’ve found out some errors on my own and all of these shall of course be fixed with the release of the coming “formal” VI/V2.01-upgrade pack:

1. On the deathnote of the king of Burgundy reads “the duke of Burgundy has died....” – all wrong, it shall be “king” instead. Noted and logged.

2. Description of “tradeship” has somewhat faulty English (grammar). Noted and logged.

3. Description of “royal warship” has somewhat faulty English. Noted and logged.

4. Description of the “royal court” building has somewhat faulty English (misspellings). Noted and logged.

5. Description of Moorish cavalry states that it is “heavy” cavalry – all wrong, it should be “medium” instead. Noted and logged.

6. Description of Saracen cavalry states that it is “heavy” cavalry – all wrong, it should be “medium” instead. Noted and logged.

7. Regarding the Portuguese, Moorish and Saracen factions there are occurrences of various name-anomalies. I have tried to correct ‘em all and hopefully that will be the end of it (in the MTW V1.1 version there is not much to be done since it is hard coded there, I’ve tried to camouflage it thou). This is related to the fact that in the original game Portugal is Turkey. - Noted and logged....

Anyone who wants report in misspellings and such errors; please indicate where it is found in redux and also clearly show were the fault is actually located. As in; “Description of Building X”, “...this palace has royjall guardians that likes beef…” etc. (This is perhaps not as glorious as a “valid” bug, but it still earns you a credit!)

- Cheers

western
08-29-2008, 11:54
Axalon

I confess I am a bit of a gadfly with campaigns, starting them and then encountering something which I stop to have a look at.

I'm also an inveterate fiddler, so I have a redux install, but also another where I have moved redux forward to start date 911, opened some more factions, turned orthodox into shi'ite, moved some map regions etc, etc. You see, I am trying to make a scenario where I can play as the Fatimids and conquer Africa and the Middle East and scrap with the Byzantines (and then maybe some crusaders) This is all because I enjoy the game more if there is a historical reality at the back of it - or alternatively because I enjoy fiddling.

Anyway, coming to the bug point, I noticed on what I will call redux vanilla that when I get muslim rebellions in rebel owned muslim provinces that my Byz have invaded but not yet conquered, it seems to be always initially a monoculture - all units of one type. Also, this type doesn't seem to conform to anything the unit_prod file says. So I can remove mus_rebels from the farmers of islam unit_prod entry - they will still turn up as the unique component of muslim rebellions. The only thing that succeeds is if I remove the unit entirely from the unit_prod, whereupon I get a new monoculture of an unpredictable type (one time it was one of the expansion units; remove them and next turn it was spies).

Even more puzzling, after a few monoculture appearances, if muslim rebels keep popping up, they suddenly turn into the rich mix of unit types you would expect - and now they do seem to be taking notice of the unit-prod.

So this is a bit of a puzzle. The game is using the unit_prod files for muslim rebellions, but it is (initially) only selecting one troop type and this isn't usually the one with with the highest mus_rebels score.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts if you can replicate the situation I have described (you will have to invade some muslim rebel provinces with non-muslim armies, then weaken your army enough to get the outraged muslims trying to bushwack you ).

I haven't tried whether same situation prevails for catholic rebels for example.

Axalon
09-04-2008, 04:30
REBELLION BUG FOUND (in Redux-SPC):

It appears that we got another valid “kill” (almost). Courtesy of Westerns relentless and stylish flying over the redux map, this strange clone-bug is finally unmasked. I have tried to kill it for him but since it appears to be hard coded so I am basically powerless against it, and thus I can not kill it. For the record this bug is categorized as a redux exclusive bug, and it is only found while running redux upon a VI/2.01 version (on the MTW V1.1 version it does not exist). Since it won’t react to any instructions given in CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.TXT I assume that it is related to the EXE.file itself, in lack of better and clearer Intel.

In action this bug creates Islamic “cloned rebellions” of a single type of unit stacked together in one army (usually Islamic peasants). These rebellions occur when a non-Islamic conqueror has recently taken over a province dominated by the Islamic religion. If none measures are taken by the new master to pacify his new Islamic subjects these “Cloned” rebellions will occur until the region changes dominant religion. After that, plus 2-4 rebellions extra, everything goes back to its supposed order again and the bug leaves the game alone. The real effects of this bug are insignificant for the over all game experience, but as an anomaly it sure is annoying.

None the less, my hat is off to you; Western! You just earned yourself a well deserved credit in the coming “official” VI-compatible pack! Many thanks; your fine flying served us all this day! Good Work!

SOLUTION:

No permanent solution found so far. The current solution for this bug is patience and letting the game “warm up” (about 20-25 turns), and waiting for a region change its dominant religion and after that continueing to defend the region for an additional 1-4 rebellions. If the region is successfully defended everything goes back to normal and as it supposed to be in redux. Building shrines, churches and such and/or sending bishops to the area will accelerate the process of changing the current dominant religion faster.

(During my work with this bug I made some further adjustments in Islamic “tac”-unit area regarding rebellions and such, making the AI to generate more mixed and diverse armies in various Islamic rebellions than the current beta-settings. All this will of course be included in the coming and “official” VI-upgrade pack).

- Cheers

Baron von Manteuffel
09-08-2008, 03:52
Axalon, The Lombards cannot recruit the Hospitallers, or the Order Foot Soldiers, because they need the Order Palace. :The end:

Axalon
09-08-2008, 20:20
Hello good Baron,

He he…. Well, I take it that you want me to unlock the order palace for the Lombard’s I guess. Do you care to elaborate why? After all, the Lombard’s is not a playable faction by default settings. I have no big problems with that issue but I am little bit curious here. Oh, and please post your answer over at the regular thread.

(Another little question for you; is there any faction you have not played or tested so far Baron? Which one does you like the most and why do you like that special faction. Again just curious.)

-----

NEW ERRORS CHARTED: I’ve found out some small errors on my own and all of these shall of course be fixed with the release of the coming “formal” VI/V2.01-upgrade pack:

1. Description of “Armenian Infantry” has somewhat faulty English (grammar). Noted and logged.

2. Description of “Desert Warriors” states that they have some large shields. This is of course not the case. Noted and logged.

3. Description of “Nubian Mercenaries” had the same description as Nubian Spearmen which of course is not good, that has been corrected now. Noted and logged....

- Cheers

Baron von Manteuffel
09-08-2008, 21:25
Hi, As far as the Lombards, I thought that may have been an oversight. I gave them the building. :shame: Apparently they're just for custom battles??? The Hospitallers weren't founded untill the First Crusade in 1099, but if the Venetians have access to them in 700 AD, you may as well give them to the Lombards as a prelude to the Genoese having them. ~:) Favorite faction, all :laugh4:. No, probably England for the Longbows, and it's an easy home base to defend. I like France for all the heavy royal units and Templars. I've tried all except: the Saracens, Russians, Portuguese, Papacy, and Lithuanians. :creep:

Axalon
09-12-2008, 04:00
24 unit slot promise for Redux-VI/V.2.01 terminated! (Custom battle problems)
-------------------------------------------------------
I earlier made a promise that I would expand the vacant tactical unit slots for redux but after I tried to implement that into the game it become way too unstable and erratic for my taste. I had at least four-five freezes and crashes as long as there were 24 slots in the game files. As a result of this discovery I must now sadly terminate my earlier promise. You guys will have to make due with the current 12 slots available (so use them well), I’m sorry but that’s the way it is (I am uncertain if it is a maximum of 256 units in total or if it is a 256 limit of tactical units only (excluding ships and agents etc. I can’t remember), anyways it does not work satisfactory). It is more important that redux VI/V2.01 remains stable (as it has been up till this point, very stable). To me it is more important to have reliable and functional game than to cram in some troops for the sake of it. If any of you want to comment on this feel free to do so, but please post over at the regular redux-thread as long as it is not explicitly bug-related for VI/2.01, then this is the right place.

- Cheers
---------
(It seems that I might be ahead of schedule with the VI-upgrade and if no new major bugs are found very soon, I might actually release it earlier than I originally planned.)

------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I did this change for the sake of clarity...
------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/redux/images/screens/RX_2ndEd_VImodule01.jpg (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=106497)

Ok, it’s finally out. Hopefully we don’t need this thread anymore. Click on the pic to get to the download area (or click on
my signature, it will also have the same effect). Hope you guys have lots of fun with redux while using this module...

Enjoy!