PDA

View Full Version : The Family Tree. History?

Naefen
08-18-2008, 12:29
1700 through to 1820...
Im in no way a historical expert, but at this time I dont believe there were any Generals/Royals who rode into battle at the tip of theire army.

So Ive gotta ask... what do you guys think this feature will be like? Or will it be completely removed and replaced by something more fitting?

My thoughts goes towards this:
-You get a message there is a suitable person for General or Admiral rank in your country. Will you assign him??

-If you have monarchy or semi-monarchy...you get a family tree. If not, someone will win by election (democracy).

Gimme some info about this:)

PBI
08-18-2008, 13:19
I believe CA have said at some point that generals will be recruitable like any other unit. As such, the way I would like to see it handled, would be every time you recruit a general, you are given a list of candidates for the position. Some would be randomly generated, some would be pre-set famous generals like Marlborough or Napoleon, and in a monarchy some would be younger male members of the royal family.

You might have a choice between promoting a grizzled veteran lieutenant who would lack tactical subtlety but whose men would trust him with their lives, a talented but unproven fresh recruit from the military academy who would have a high command ability but would struggle to gain the confidence of his men, or a political appointee who would be an inferior commander but whose selection would win you favour with parliament or the aristocracy. In times of political unrest, it could also matter whether the man you appoint is a fiery Republican or a staunch Monarchist; the wrong choice could result in mutiny and rebellion.

Certainly I can't see how the current system can remain in place, given that changing to Republic would mean wiping out all your existing generals.

batemonkey
08-18-2008, 14:01
I think i read somewhere Marlborough used to get up close and er... personal sometimes

Martok
08-18-2008, 16:57
I believe CA have said at some point that generals will be recruitable like any other unit. As such, the way I would like to see it handled, would be every time you recruit a general, you are given a list of candidates for the position. Some would be randomly generated, some would be pre-set famous generals like Marlborough or Napoleon, and in a monarchy some would be younger male members of the royal family.
Yeah, it's been my impression that something like this will be in the game. I believe it'll sort of be like MTW -- where you can get both random and "hero" generals -- but will still be significantly different. I'm very curious as to how this will turn out.

You might have a choice between promoting a grizzled veteran lieutenant who would lack tactical subtlety but whose men would trust him with their lives, a talented but unproven fresh recruit from the military academy who would have a high command ability but would struggle to gain the confidence of his men, or a political appointee who would be an inferior commander but whose selection would win you favour with parliament or the aristocracy. In times of political unrest, it could also matter whether the man you appoint is a fiery Republican or a staunch Monarchist; the wrong choice could result in mutiny and rebellion.

Certainly I can't see how the current system can remain in place, given that changing to Republic would mean wiping out all your existing generals.
That's brilliant, PBI. Would love to see something like that in Empire. :2thumbsup:

Fookison
08-20-2008, 22:52
Ditto!
Good idea PBI!!