PDA

View Full Version : Nice work CA, but please strive for historical accuracy.

Ignoramus
08-21-2008, 12:41
I'd just like to say how impressed I am so far about Empire: Total War. I'm impressed about the map, and the government system is already looking intriguing.

But just another encouragement for you guys to make this more historical than Rome and MTW2 were. The archaic Egyptians in RTW really killed the game for me and I hate for that to hate to Empire. I understand the need to balance the game, but please try to do so in the most history friendly way.

Rhyfelwyr
08-22-2008, 23:19
Agreed, my brother thought the 'Mummies Return' armies of Egypt were ridiculous and he must have been about 8 years old at the time.

Still, I don't think there are any major complaints from the factions etc seen in the campaign map screens. Germany and Italy seem to have their smaller states represented well enough.

Warmaster Horus
08-23-2008, 00:31
Agree with Caledonian Rhyfelwyr, it looks okay for now. Even the apparently outlandish features (the landmines mentioned in the GS preview...) have some historical base.
And in any case, modding is with us. Any word on how that front is going to be?

And, if any CA employe reads that third sentence, I don't mean to insult you guys. Your work is terrific, and I'm definitely getting ETW when it gets out.

Puzz3D
08-28-2008, 00:02
Agree with Caledonian Rhyfelwyr, it looks okay for now. Even the apparently outlandish features (the landmines mentioned in the GS preview...) have some historical base.
And in any case, modding is with us. Any word on how that front is going to be?

And, if any CA employe reads that third sentence, I don't mean to insult you guys. Your work is terrific, and I'm definitely getting ETW when it gets out.
Based on CA's past performance I definitely am not getting ETW. I'll buy Les Grognads instead. You guys have fun modding ETW to make it playable or wait a year for CA to make it playable.

Sol Invictus
08-28-2008, 00:51
I'm definately buying both.:idea2:

rajpoot
08-28-2008, 04:04
Both, that sounds good to me too. I wasn't very keen on Les Grognads earlier on, but I've been reading up stuff about it since and it sounds very promising in the field of field battles.
So, I'm going to buy that. ETW I have to buy, (unless they put a way too nasty copy protection in it).

Far as historical context is the question, it seems they are no worse than before, if anything they'll be better hopefull with the realistic democracy and the new weather effects and stuff. Either way, I think it'll be too late for them to change anything now.

Martok
08-28-2008, 04:20
So long as Empire doesn't go to absurd extremes, I'll be reasonably content.

As long as I see the following, I think I can live with whatever other inaccuracies this game will have.

-- A minimum of ridiculous fantasy units (preferably zero, although the steam-powered vessels already means that ship has sailed).

-- Factions *not* being heavily stereotyped.

-- Land battles *not* resembling the screenshots we've seen so far (i.e., men actually form themselves into firing lines as opposed to simply flinging themselves at each other in a mob).

I would of course love to see ETW be completely historically accurate, but I accept that that's usually not practical in a game of this type.

Sol Invictus
08-28-2008, 04:39
Agreed, I can look past some minor silliness; land mines will be much too common in normal battles; but so far I haven't seen any absolutely crazy units. I am cautiously hopeful that CA will keep a lid aonthe fantastic and stick to a more historical script.

Sheogorath
08-28-2008, 04:44
To be fair, steam vessels DID come into use by some navies in the 1820's. Even the Ruskies were in the game by the 1830's (their first steam gunboat was commissioned in the 1830's).

Besides, what would TW be without fantasy units? I, personally, welcome our Elephants-with-Cannons-on-their-Foreheads overlods. :laugh4:

Mailman653
08-28-2008, 05:36
So far I've seen only one flag bearer in the screen shots, I hope it's possible to mod in a second one. For instance in regards to the English, they would carry in the national flag, and then a second flag which would represent their unit. Granted not every unit imaginable could be represented, but it would be cool of the units who's unit flags are known, could be included in the game.
Or like in regards to the US, have one carrier carry the national flag and another carry one of those other historical flags like the one in my signature, that would be awesome.

The only problem I foresee is how to tell the game, unit X uses flag A and unit Y use flag B.

rajpoot
08-28-2008, 07:47
but so far I haven't seen any absolutely crazy units.

Allow me to oblige, presenting the rank and file formation of Red Indian skirmishers. :laugh4:
My knowladge is very limited, but still, this looks way too unreal.
https://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9864/13wu7.th.jpg (https://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=13wu7.jpg)

I saw a screenshot of the steamship, it looks like the other ships apart from the big.......err.............thingy jutting out at its side, the paddles I think...........I don't know what are they exactly called.

Sol Invictus
08-28-2008, 14:42
Yes, odd.:thumbsdown:

Of Here
09-13-2008, 12:47
Allow me to oblige, presenting the rank and file formation of Red Indian skirmishers.

Actually the ranks of the others are crap as well. Also the killing at range for ETW should be reduced a great bit. The battles should be decided by much fewer casualties. No army is going to be decimated if it's imitating real history.

Sol Invictus
09-13-2008, 14:13
Agree, I hope we don't see armies get decimated in most battles. Once an army takes about forty percent casualties it should be looking to retreat. Also, the victor should very rarely be able to run down the survivors of the defeated army. In reality, the victor was usually in slightly better shape than the loser and usually couldn't mount a sustained pursuit.

Sirius 21
09-13-2008, 14:46
Well, a lot of discussion about historical accuracy, as usual. I understand and I agree with previous poster. Anywany, keep in mind this is a game and it can't be a perfect representation of history. Also, TW games may have some inaccuracies but, hey, have you ever seen any other game with such a strong gameplay and a higher level of accuracy? Still, TW games are the best strategy videogame around the market, in my opinion, even with minor unrealistic features.

Lord Winter
09-14-2008, 09:42
Well, a lot of discussion about historical accuracy, as usual. I understand and I agree with previous poster. Anywany, keep in mind this is a game and it can't be a perfect representation of history. Also, TW games may have some inaccuracies but, hey, have you ever seen any other game with such a strong gameplay and a higher level of accuracy? Still, TW games are the best strategy videogame around the market, in my opinion, even with minor unrealistic features.

Well there is paradox...

Divine Wind
09-14-2008, 11:26
If Empire is anything like Take Command: 2nd Manassas with a few extra fancy features, I will be a very happy customer.

Sol Invictus
09-14-2008, 19:53
If Empire is anything like Take Command: 2nd Manassas with a few extra fancy features, I will be a very happy customer.

Definately!:2thumbsup:

lars573
09-15-2008, 06:03
Well there is paradox...
Who are incapable of designing a a playable non-bug ridden game.