PDA

View Full Version : What about languages

Gustav II Adolf
08-21-2008, 14:18
I wonder how CA will handle languages this time. We have many nations and possible scenarios with the languages that officers will use when shouting their commands. My fear is having Swedish troops calling out in Russian or in English with Russian/eastern accent. Many officers at the time spoke German and French beside their native language. Maybe that could be used if unless every one will speak English. The greatest treat of course would be to get all major factions to speak their own language. I would understand though if it is too difficult to do. What do you all think?

G

Warmaster Horus
08-21-2008, 14:50
I guess it will be like M2, accented english. Modders can take care of the rest.

Mailman653
08-21-2008, 17:01
Yeah there is an awesome mod for MW2 that adds nataive languages to almost all the factions, its pretty cool. As the post above stated, modders can fill in the gaps.

Gustav II Adolf
08-21-2008, 22:33
I hope that can be done through modding then. I think it would give a great feel of realism and atmosphere if it was given some effort. This reminds me of the different experience of quality between movies where everyone speak their real language compared to the ones where everyone speak English with accent. I guess i´ll have to look for a mod.

G

Warmaster Horus
08-21-2008, 22:53
Check this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96095) out. It's similar to the question here, and there's a dev post in there.

Sheogorath
08-21-2008, 23:48
One of my favorite things about MTW was hearing orders shouted in native (or, at least, common) languages.
Warfare at this time just won't be the same without proper factions having a proper battle cry. I do hope that CA was kind enough to include 'King and Country!' and 'UUURAH!'. And, of course, the famous "Lets all get our throats cut, lads!"
OK, I made the last one up, but it would be cool :P

SwordsMaster
08-22-2008, 00:33
Well, Civ IV has native languages for all factions. So it isn't that much of a stretch...

Gustav II Adolf
08-22-2008, 09:24
Some people might not care much about the languages as long as it is in English and understandable. But for others it can have a real impact on the experience of the game. For centuries Russia was the mortal enemy to the Swedes, and many wars has been fought between the two through out history. To have Swedish troops speaking in Russian would be quite a turn of for me. I wonder what Russian people feel about their troops speaking English? For those of you who are from America it would perhaps be like playing a world war II game where your troops spoke Japanese or Russian.

G