PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly German Preview PC Games

SaFe
08-23-2008, 16:21
I thought i share some info concerning the game that are new.
First of all the two mysterious characters on the campaign map are
Gentleman
He is able to offer a duel to characters of a other faction. More important is his ability to fasten the advance in technologies by positioning him in a city with a university.
Rake
This dubious character is the "newer" version of the spy from other TW-Games. He has the ability to assasinate, but more important is his ability to infiltrate other armies, meaning no fog of war for the player anymore for the infiltrated army.

Concerning the map, it is possible to put "buildings" where eve you want, the example to build ports where ever you want is mentioned. Also there should be much more cities than before, something that is not obvious on the screens of the campaign map i have seen, but we can hope...
I was especially interested in the feature concerning forts. If you put them at "narrow" point on the map, for example, between a river an mountains, enemy troops will not be able to pass through an extended radius around the fort.

A additional feature is a seperate option for the map, factions you're allied with are shown in green, factions that don't like you are red, in my opinion a visual feature of the old "who likes me" scroll.

Also there is much talk about the tech tree. It is parted in three different areas.
Philosophy, Tech and Military.
Prestige can be won by advancing in these different areas. For example having the most powerful navy
Prestige you ask?
Well it seems you can win the game by advancing at the top as the faction with the most prestige!
Seems like a lighter version of Glorious achievements, but i really have high hopes on this. Colouring the map in your faction colour alone is not the only way to win. Hurrah!!!

They also talk about trade routes and diplomacy. Diplomacy seems to work now in a other way as before (well CA already talked about this)
You can ask "nicely, normal or demanding" for alliances, money, etc...

Trade routes: well, you put a ship on a trade route of a other faction and you gain some money from it each time a ship from this faction passes by. Ergo= Protect you trade routes. Hopefully this is also a feature on land as they talk only about sea trade routes.

Enough for now, for readers who can understand german here is the link:
http://www.pcgames.de/aid,656986/News/Empire_Total_War_Informationsflut_von_der_GC/
Interesting information on page 2

Excuse my rather bad english:embarassed:

Marius Dynamite
08-23-2008, 17:06
You are the man! :2thumbsup:

Mailman653
08-23-2008, 18:11
Sounds good.:yes:

Sheogorath
08-23-2008, 20:03
So, they essentially combined the diplomat with a sort of assassin and a scientist, and the spy and assassin?

And...'rake'? That sounds like a mistranslation :inquisitive:

Martok
08-23-2008, 20:48
Appreciate the info, SaFe. Thanks for the translation. :bow:

Although I'm a little unclear as to the abilities/purpose of the Gentlemen & Rakes, your English is just fine for the most part. ~:)

Warmaster Horus
08-23-2008, 21:19
New info! Cheers SaFe! Translation's good, BTW.

Gentlemen seems like the Great People (I think that's what they're called) from Civ4, that could help you increase your tech feature. As for the duelling, I suppose it'll be like somekind of official assassination.
Rakes (strange name...) look like the mixture of assassin and spy. Infiltrate army and kill characters.

Martok
08-24-2008, 06:37
I wonder if the Rake is essentially a professional duelist (a seasoned fighter who, for a price, will deliberately provoke fights with nobles in order to kill them)? I've seen such characters in fictional literature, but never heard of them existing in real life.

hoom
08-24-2008, 07:21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_(character)
Dashing person of dubious morals.
The emphasis seems to be more normally on drinking, gambling & womanising but being a dubious type, (& probably with the aid of heavy debt or being otherwise 'compromised') this kind of fella is more likely to do dodgy stuff for you than an upstanding, conservative Gentleman.

Not so sure I like the idea of 'put anywhere you like' for buildings, could lead to some funny looking provinces unless there is some kind of default, suggested positions.

Jack Lusted
08-24-2008, 11:14
Not so sure I like the idea of 'put anywhere you like' for buildings, could lead to some funny looking provinces unless there is some kind of default, suggested positions.

That is correct, you cannot place buildings anywhere, there are preset places they can be built. I am not sure why the German magazine has stated otherwise.

hoom
08-24-2008, 12:21
Over at TWC they seem to have worked it out, I understand you can bring up the province build menu from anywhere in the province rather than just in the city?
That could be misinterpreted as 'build anywhere', especially by the time it gets translated back to English from German.

AussieGiant
09-05-2008, 21:31
The Scarlet Pimpernel could be categorised as a "Rake".

It's very old English.

pdoyle007
09-08-2008, 09:47
I did mention the prospect of a professional duelist a while ago when we first saw the filming of the videos

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=106076

I wonder if there will be limiting factors on this as otherwise you could develop an exceptionally good duelist and then have him/her call out the major generals in an opposing army. I suppose it would look bad to back out of a duel (loss of prestige) but undercover French Gentleman calling out Wellington would have been interesting before Waterloo

kingnathers7
09-17-2008, 16:18
did u see the size of the ottoman empire lol:laugh4:

Martok
09-17-2008, 17:32
Welcome to the Org, kingnathers7. ~:wave:

did u see the size of the ottoman empire lol:laugh4:
What of it? It looks about right to me (http://www.euratlas.com/history_europe/europe_map_1700.html).