PDA

View Full Version : 50 Factions?!

Megas Methuselah
08-23-2008, 21:43
Ok, so I know approximately 10 of them are going to be playable. But take into consideration all those factions that supposedly aren't playable. Do you imagine they'll all have their own unique units? Or will there be common units that can be trained by every faction? If so, maybe those common units will at least have different skins per faction. I just find it hard to imagine that each faction will have its own unique units, but maybe they will. All I can do is hope.

What about you guys? With each faction having unique units, it shouldn't be too difficult to mod the game to make them playable and enjoy a good, exotic campaign with Native Americans or African Nations.

Sheogorath
08-23-2008, 22:34
I imagine most of the European minor factions will have regional Generic units, EX: 'German Musketeers', 'Italian Curaisers' and the like. The Indian factions will also probably have a generic unit set as well. I do hope the Persians get their own set...although it'll probably be like the Nubians in RTW with a grand total of five units.
Same goes for the native Americans and North African factions...although the NA's may share some of the Ottoman units.

Megas Methuselah
08-23-2008, 23:22
Yeah, that makes great sense. To be honest, it doesn't sound too bad, either. I can't wait!
:crowngrin:

Martok
08-24-2008, 06:31
It may also be worth bearing in mind that I believe at least a few of these factions will be emergent nations, such as the USA and the Jacobites. Should definitely add some interesting flavor to the game. :beam:

Hax
08-24-2008, 20:38
Gah, of course they could use the EUIII setup. Once a faction gets too big and collapses, it will fall together in little rump states.

Megas Methuselah
08-24-2008, 22:57
That'd be dang sweet! :crowngrin:

Ferret
08-25-2008, 17:30
Gah, of course they could use the EUIII setup. Once a faction gets too big and collapses, it will fall together in little rump states.

mmmmmm rump steaks....:clown:

adembroski
09-02-2008, 12:49
Outside of Papal States type and factions that emerge with no real way to have the user take control, I've never understood the point of having ANY unplayable factions. I realize many are going to be too weak, too insignificant, too dull, whatever, but why not let ME decide that?

Oh well, hopefully it's as easily moddable as before.

PBI
09-02-2008, 13:03
I believe whether a faction is playable or not is a reflection of how much time and effort CA have put into it. Playable factions are supposed to be better balanced, with a more varied and interesting unit roster, and get all the bells and whistles like their own intro movie and such.

I think it is deliberately designed to be very easy to mod the game to make all factions playable, hence why you don't need to unpack the game files to do it. It's kind of a disclaimer, saying "go ahead and play this faction if you want to, but don't complain to us if it turns out to be boring".

SaFe
09-02-2008, 13:11
I believe whether a faction is playable or not is a reflection of how much time and effort CA have put into it. Playable factions are supposed to be better balanced, with a more varied and interesting unit roster, and get all the bells and whistles like their own intro movie and such.

I think it is deliberately designed to be very easy to mod the game to make all factions playable, hence why you don't need to unpack the game files to do it. It's kind of a disclaimer, saying "go ahead and play this faction if you want to, but don't complain to us if it turns out to be boring".

This should be written in stone!
Sad but true, i fear for uninteresting clone armies for all of the other ca. 40 factions.

rajpoot
09-02-2008, 13:42
This should be written in stone!
Sad but true, i fear for uninteresting clone armies for all of the other ca. 40 factions.

12 are nice and proper. Plus take their rebel factions. Plus take the variety of cultures in the game this time. I'm sure atleast half the factions would be pretty interesting......one way or the other.....and that, is more than enough for me.

Sol Invictus
09-02-2008, 15:10
While it would be great if all factions were playable at release, I won't fault CA for limiting it to the major actors of the era. They want to make a few detailed factions with missions and events rather than a large number of shallow factions.

lars573
09-02-2008, 17:05
So does anyone actually know for sure if these 10/12 playable factions are like the Roman families in RTW and the 5 in Med 2, or the only ones? Or are they just assuming?

Martok
09-02-2008, 23:48
So does anyone actually know for sure if these 10/12 playable factions are like the Roman families in RTW and the 5 in Med 2, or the only ones? Or are they just assuming?
If you're asking whether all 10-12 will be initially playable, with another (as yet to be determined) number of factions that can be unlocked, then the short answer is "unknown". CA has been keeping things very close to the vest on this, and haven't really said one way or the other how this is going to work.

That said, I have a hunch that all 10-12 factions will be playable from the beginning, with the rest unlockable only via modding. As CA has yet to confirm this, however, it's probably best you don't quote me on that. :sweatdrop:

lars573
09-03-2008, 04:48
I figured as much.

Divinus Arma
09-04-2008, 19:12
All 50 should be playable, regardless of difficult to play these factions.

Ferret
09-04-2008, 22:08
:yes: I totally agree with that, copy paradox I say!