PDA

View Full Version : When will you purchase Empire?

Martok
09-08-2008, 19:25
This was partially inspired by Jack Dionne's question (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=107333). Assuming that ETW doesn't include SecuROM or other invasive and/or potentially harmful copy protection software, how long after the game's release will you buy it?

Personally, I intend to wait until the first patch has been released. Such has been my general policy with PC games for several years now.

Granted, there's always the possibility that Empire will be relatively free of major bugs (i.e., on par with Shogun/MTW), but I admit I'm rather skeptical of the likelihood of that actually happening. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong. ~:)

Quintus.JC
09-08-2008, 19:57
Either getting it straight away or wait for the expansion pack. I got Medieval II straight away, while it was worth the money I can't help but thinking could it be better if I waited and bought the gold version with the expansion pack along with it, for the cheaper price.

Warmaster Horus
09-08-2008, 20:03
Probably going to try to pre-order it soon (or 'round January). Maybe I'll be able to prove Martok wrong.

What I've seen already makes me very enthusiastic. If I stay enthusiastic, why not pre-order?

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, what I'm really waiting for is a demo. I'll be more decided after there's one, if there is one of course.

Herkus
09-08-2008, 21:42
Probably when the price will drop by at least 1/3.

TevashSzat
09-08-2008, 22:55
I'm probably gonna buy it really late when expansions come out since quite a few games will be out by then that I'll be busy playing and I don't want to get inundated with new games all at once. (watch me be a hypocrite and buy the game the day it comes out :laugh4:)

anders
09-09-2008, 07:38
depends on my work, home and business situation, if I have some free time Ill get it as soon as possible, otherwise Ill wait for patches and a price drop.

-who am I kidding, Ill run to the gamestore the moment its out..

pevergreen
09-09-2008, 12:00
Well...I was always planning on buying it as soon as the local store has it.

*flies massive fanboy flag*

Plus, if I get some solid hours into it quick, I can help everyone here out.

rajpoot
09-09-2008, 12:31
If it does not have a dirty copy protection on it...........well atleast one that is not too invasive, then I'm ordering it on the day of release.

PBI
09-09-2008, 12:35
Day of release, or at least as soon as I think I've hit a quiet spell at work and can afford the drastic drop in my productivity.

CBR
09-09-2008, 12:48
If the demo shows a good battle engine I'll wait for some early player reviews on MP regarding connection issues etc. Although there appears to be some positive changes in ETW my expectations are low.

CBR

paul_kiss
09-09-2008, 14:53
I doubt I'll ever buy it coz I'm completely satisfied with RTW+BI and many wonderful mods.

Megas Methuselah
09-10-2008, 06:02
Gah!

Whenever God wills it! :smartass2:

Ed TW
09-10-2008, 11:27
depends on my work, home and business situation, if I have some free time Ill get it as soon as possible, otherwise Ill wait for patches and a price drop.

-who am I kidding, Ill run to the gamestore the moment its out..

That is really funny. I was thinking the same thing.

Praxil
09-10-2008, 14:04
Gah!

When I'll build me my new PC.

Galain_Ironhide
09-10-2008, 16:22
Gah!

Total War Galactic Invasion will be out by the time I can string enough cash together to build a new computer for this one.

wayne0308
09-11-2008, 13:50
I intend to pre-order this game as soon as I can.

But, I've heard of a lot of games being released with these DRM's. So that if I buy this game, I will only be able to reinstall the game 3 times. I clean my hard drive completely about every 3 months so if this is the case I probably wont buy it.
I've been a loyal fan of the Total war series and I still own all the games and expansion packs since the start. But copying EA's lead on the DRM thing will be too much for me.

Enron
09-11-2008, 14:38
Gah!

Since my PC is 4 years old I wanna see what the min specs are for the game.

I have a P4 3.4 HT Extreme 800 Mhz FSB
2 GB DDR2 SD RAM
ATI x1950 Pro Vid card
20" Samsung 206BW monitor

If the game requires a PC with more power than that then o well I'm out for a while and will stick with M2TW:juggle2:

Slyspy
09-11-2008, 20:35
When it is patched, expanded, modded and, preferably, in the bargain bin.

woad&fangs
09-12-2008, 03:59
If it can be played on a Mac then my answer is "whenever I get my shiny new Mac". Hopefully sometime in April or May. If it can't be played well on a Mac then I'm going to be very sad.

Of course, all of this depends on DRM.:whip:

Dradem
09-12-2008, 14:15
The day it comes out, I'm so looking forward to this one (and all the others before aswell)
I pre-orded it last week, I was the first one in the store. He didn't have a list before :wall:

Thermal
09-12-2008, 21:51
ill get it as soon as possible! but forget waiting for patches and the like, how could i wait???
wont pre order though, because any game pre ordered in the past still wasnt in stock when i went to pick it up, even though it was ment to be reserved:inquisitive: stupid gaming service:no:

Thermal
09-12-2008, 21:53
When it is patched, expanded, modded and, preferably, in the bargain bin.

you'll be waiting a while then! medieval 1 still sells 4 a tenna even now, so perhaps you might get it in 6 years time then...

Monk
09-13-2008, 01:39
I'm waiting for a couple of things. I'm waiting to see how it scores on the review and I'm waiting until i can afford to upgrade my comp. Poor thing is getting up there in the years, some of the screens from empire just make it cry. I can feel it.

edyzmedieval
09-13-2008, 21:23
I'll wait for reviews from magazines and fellow Orgahs....

hoom
09-14-2008, 03:38
I'd like to say I'll wait to see what others think of it/wait for obvious bugs to be patched but like previous iterations I'll probably wind up slightly pre-ordering or buying it shortly after release...

Notably though, I'm mainly only playing RTW +BI engine so-far even though I've got M2 & Kingdoms.
Will be very much looking forward to RTR on E:TW engine & EBII on M2:Kingdoms engine whenever they show up.

pevergreen
09-15-2008, 12:41
@enron: I dont know ati video cards, but it seems ok for the most part.
@W&F: Macs? :sick: :laugh4:

sassbarman
09-15-2008, 22:48
It's a totalwar game what else am I going to do but buy it straight away, there is nothing else like it out there.:beam:

Megas Methuselah
09-16-2008, 05:45
Well said, friend. Well said. :crowngrin:

SpencerH
09-17-2008, 12:03
Assuming no Securom

I'll be waiting until it goes "gold" or until the reviews by other players are comparing it to the brilliance of STW.

Basileus
09-17-2008, 14:08
I have not followed the developemend of the game this time so i guess i´ll wait for rewievs and peoples opinion before buying.

Monk
09-17-2008, 16:38
I'll be waiting until it goes "gold" or until the reviews by other players are comparing it to the brilliance of STW.

So there's absolutely no pressure, CA. :laugh4:

Martok
09-17-2008, 17:46
Monk: Indeed :laugh4:

Assuming no Securom

I suspect many of us are in that same boat (wanting to know how it compares to Shogun). :yes:

JR-
09-17-2008, 18:06
M:TW is the yard stick by which i will judge it.

caravel
09-17-2008, 22:53
As I'm always one release behind anyway I'll be playing M2TW first no doubt. But DRM has stopped me from buying Kingdoms and will no doubt stop me from buying ETW if that comes bundled with the same or similar security compromising malware.

Enron
09-22-2008, 15:40
@enron: I dont know ati video cards, but it seems ok for the most part.
@W&F: Macs? :sick: :laugh4:

Thanks, for the encouragement:beam: Unless I'm wrong my card is equal to the Nvidia 6800 series.

GhostOfDisco
09-22-2008, 16:37
I play RTW and M2TW on the PC side of my Mac.

When will I purchase ETW? The question, for me, is if - if the requirements are low enough (no more than 2.16 GHz and 30+- GB, please and thank you).

If not, then on the rare chance I can afford to buy a new computer and do, and have some money left over from Empire, then I might buy it.

alman7272
09-29-2008, 20:54
Hopefully if I can get a new computer in the meantime. But that means a new power supply, RAM, motherboard, and video card. A lot of money there.

darrin42
09-29-2008, 21:11
I clicked, As soon as its Released...though Realisticaly it will probs be a week or so after, before I have time to drop by and look for it.

Polemists
09-30-2008, 08:59
Same, I will purchase as soon as I can get to a outlet to buy it.

Gray Beard
09-30-2008, 13:55
I think I may skip this one.

I don't really enjoy the massed battles that much and really prefer a setup more like CivIV though hate the cheesy cartoonish nature of Sid Meyer's games

Sir Beane
09-30-2008, 14:12
If everything goes well I'll be getting the game as soon as it's released. I can put up with bugs and things until a patch or two have been released. More importantly I can write up a review of the game for fellow Orgahs to help them decide whether to get the game or not. :beam:

Fookison
10-03-2008, 20:09
It's a totalwar game what else am I going to do but buy it straight away, there is nothing else like it out there.:beam:

Me too!!! Can't wait......

Spino
10-06-2008, 21:59
Empire looks phenomenal and CA's rewriting of the engine & AI is very promising. However given CA's track record with Rome & Medieval 2 I simply cannot bring myself to purchase Empire once it is released. To put it bluntly I don't believe Empire will be sufficiently challenging or balanced right out of the box. CA's penchance for taking an eternity to release precious few patches between the time of release and the expansion pack only worsens the prognosis.

However like Medieval 2 I'm sure Empire will be great once the expansion pack is released.

Odin
10-08-2008, 16:41
Always always wait for the 1st or 2nd patches. Most PC games get a good preorder crowd and a "I must have it crowd" who fill thier forum sigs with free fixes for the games they just purchased (genius's). Its an advanced beta process, that works look at MTW2 and the moaning about the shield bug etc, modder comes along and fixes it and bam! hes now working at CA (lusted).

Let the preorder boys beta it for you, wait for the patch or user fix then you purchase. Anything other then that then you really have no cause to complain later