PDA

View Full Version : ships ride too high above waterline

Marquis of Roland
09-08-2008, 20:53
The ships in the previews ride very high out of water, as if their holds were empty
(no ballast).

Sheogorath
09-08-2008, 22:16
Because thats what the majority of people expect them to do, plus, it looks cool.

Zenicetus
09-09-2008, 00:03
True, but that's a very minor flaw in realism, compared to the previews showing square rigged ships sailing directly upwind in battle! Or ships fighting with all sails furled, against other ships running full sail. So far, it looks like arcade game sail combat to me, based on the previews. But I'm holding out hope that the final game is better.

Belgolas
09-09-2008, 03:57
All I have to say is MODS!

hoom
09-09-2008, 07:48
I really don't see this.

There are a couple of shots in the Navy trailer that look a bit off but in most of them the ships seem to be floating about the right spot.

pevergreen
09-09-2008, 11:59
I say two things:

1) Game aint finished
2) Minor details < less bugs

kingsnake
09-09-2008, 17:49
In the trailers only one or two ships were a bit above waterline, the others seemed fine...

I just want the wind and sails to be realistic, cause if the sails react to the wind, it could be a first in gaming history. You guys know any games with this feature?

Zenicetus
09-10-2008, 00:21
I just want the wind and sails to be realistic, cause if the sails react to the wind, it could be a first in gaming history. You guys know any games with this feature?

Sure, the last Sid Mier "Pirates!" game modeled it, and that was years ago. There have been others. Nobody in their right mind wants to see square riggers sailing directly upwind, or making way with furled sails (where's the engine?).

If the sailing engine is going to be arcade-like, then they'd better have a really good auto-resolve feature for naval combat, for those of us who value at least a minimal level of realism over eye candy.