PDA

View Full Version : SteamPUNK: TW mod / bicycle Dragoons.

Robespierre
09-18-2008, 16:04
Just an idea for a Mod, but what about a China Mieville-esque mod with various steampunk innovations such as steamtrains bicycles and thaumaturgy against a general tech level of early Empires?

i have lots of ideas for SteamPUNK:TW, such as the mutant remades. and what about frogmen? and when a peleton of bicycle infantry is on the move, will there be a small chance of one getting a puncture, in which case (i) the whole bunch must stop and wait until it is repaired, and, (ii) another member of the peleton will automatically get another puncture almost as soon as it has got moving again.

I suggest bicycle infantry because of the things that make them interesting to play:
their ability to move as fast as cavalry but only on roads, their vulnerability to ambush whilst on the bike in peleton formation, the importance they will add to roads.

perhaps CA Could include a skin/model filed away somewhere in the game?

in the real world (with which TW Games have never had much to do) the bike developed suprisingly late, 1 or 2 hundred years after the tech necessary was about. this is mainly due to social reasons: the important breakthrough happened in revolutionary France. Perhaps the bike could be a tech available to any developed enough republic?

b4 you shoot this idea down, think! it will be fun.

Sir Beane
09-28-2008, 13:14
The problem with the military use of bicycles is that they would be limited to being used only on roads. Bikes just can't handle anything other than hard surfaces, so I think they would be a city only unit.

As for a steampunk mod for totalwar though I have to say their is one ide aI would dearly love to see.

Airships!

Think how fantastic huge airships would be. Quick travel over both land and see on the campaign map, huge troop transportation capacity, rapid deployment deep into the heart of the enemy.

Imagine airgunship support on the battlemap. Enemy holed up in a city? No problem! Just flatten it with an aerial bombardment.

Huge enemy force got you cornered on a hill? Call in a carpet bomb!

Also it would open up a third theatre of combat for CA. They've done land, and now sea. Next could be air! And I think slow moving cannon armed zeppelins are the only way they could do this, planes are just too quick and too different for CA to properly model a combat simulation around them.

Of course airships would have to be immensely expensive to offset their huge advatages. But I think CA cuold balance them given enough time and effort.

Sadly airships are a bit of a stretch for a mod though.

Also, bicycles armed with handlebar mounted gatling guns. Awesome.

caravel
09-28-2008, 16:42
Try to refrain from personal attacks. A simple "I don't think it would work and here's why..." would have sufficed.

In fact I happen to think it would work but would be rather a niche game. Steam powered siege equipment, zeppellins etc. Not sure about bicycles but maybe I'm just failing to visualise them correctly? Also clockwork units such as spiders (used like wardogs) and steam powered tanks etc. It would be a good idea for a mod perhaps?

:bow:

Robespierre
09-28-2008, 17:03
Airships!

Capital Plan!

Sir Beane
09-28-2008, 21:05
Try to refrain from personal attacks. A simple "I don't think it would work and here's why..." would have sufficed.

In fact I happen to think it would work but would be rather a niche game. Steam powered siege equipment, zeppellins etc. Not sure about bicycles but maybe I'm just failing to visualise them correctly? Also clockwork units such as spiders (used like wardogs) and steam powered tanks etc. It would be a good idea for a mod perhaps?

:bow:

Excellent ideas. :beam: I would love to see steam powered war machines. If someone could make a mod with this sort of thing in then they would be a very talented individual. I imagine it would require new models, animations, sounds and who knows what else. Seems unlikely that anyone would be able to pull it off, but I can always hope.