PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Gamereactor

Martok
09-19-2008, 21:03
Now this (http://www.gamereactor.eu/text.php?id=151) is an article with quite a bit of new info. There's a lot of neat/cool things mentioned in it to the point that I honestly don't know where to begin. :2thumbsup:

Since I do like to find dark clouds behind every silver lining, however, I'll mention one thing that at least some players won't be happy to hear: It appears that there will no unlockable factions outside of the 10-12 that will be playable. Not that it should be that difficult to mod the game so that all factions are available (which Kieran Brigden hints at himself), but I figured it was still worth a heads-up.

Q: You mentioned the 12 playable factions - will the rest be unlockable?

A: I'd imagine that within about 15 minutes our fan base will unlock the rest. (laughs) What tends to happen with Total War games is we say "here's your playable factions" it goes out in a box, and then they open it up, stick it in their disc drives, change a few files and go "now they're all playable". We understand that the game will be unlocked. But the experience we design for the player, and the localisation we do is based around the 12 playable factions.

Still, a very nice interview overall. It makes me more eager than ever to see the new AI in action -- I really want to see what it can do! :yes:

Also, the thought of your troops actually talking to each other in their native language is just cool. A little superficial, perhaps, but little details like that can really add to a game's atmosphere. :thumbsup:

Martok
09-19-2008, 21:10
And before anyone asks, yes this article does appear to be a continuation of the video interview (http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=3023) from the other thread. However, I still felt it warranted its own discussion. ~:)

Mailman653
09-19-2008, 21:43
Cool, they got native languages in, definitely adds to the immersion. :2thumbsup:

I wonder what the animation for taking a tomahawk to the torso looks like :skull:

Megas Methuselah
09-19-2008, 22:51
ZOMGZ, NATIVE AMERICANS!!!! AMERICAN ABORIGINALS!!! FIRST NATIONS!!!! :wacko:

The Mohawk warriors of the Iroquois Confederacy will march across the face of North America... AND THE WORLD!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!

My tomahawk will be stained red! :indian_brave:

Sheogorath
09-19-2008, 22:55
Q: How much detail has gone into depicting the specific factions, is there specific music, and language on the battlefield?

A: Yes, we've localised the playable factions. French troops speak to each other in French, regardless of whatever language you're playing the game in. And you get orders shouted out in that language. Music and battlefield music will also be thematically linked to where you are and who you're playing
YESSSSSS!

That's one of the biggest things I missed from Shogun and the original MTW. The people shouting orders in Japanese, Latin, Arabic and Russian...good times, good times. Themed music too? Great!

Monk
09-20-2008, 07:30
Since I do like to find dark clouds behind every silver lining, however, I'll mention one thing that at least some players won't be happy to hear: It appears that there will no unlockable factions outside of the 10-12 that will be playable. Not that it should be that difficult to mod the game so that all factions are available (which Kieran Brigden hints at himself), but I figured it was still worth a heads-up.

It sounds like from the quote they they fully expect the modders to release "all factions playable" mods practically on day one of ETW - so I wouldn't worry about it really.

Hey as long as I can play as Russia* I wouldn't have any problems with the game being designed around the initial 12. :thumbsup:

*While playing Iron maiden's Mother Russia the entire time ~:wacko:

Sheogorath
09-20-2008, 07:55
It sounds like from the quote they they fully expect the modders to release "all factions playable" mods practically on day one of ETW - so I wouldn't worry about it really.

Hey as long as I can play as Russia* I wouldn't have any problems with the game being designed around the initial 12. :thumbsup:

*While playing Iron maiden's Mother Russia the entire time ~:wacko:

Ah, at last! A fellow Russophile! :laugh4:

Martok
09-20-2008, 22:07
Part 2 (http://www.gamereactor.eu/text.php?id=155) of the interview is now available.

A lot more good stuff. I especially liked the discussion of trade and diplomacy. If they work as intended, it should be a very impressive experience. ~:)

Fisherking
09-21-2008, 10:20
The scope of this game as presented is amazingly complex.

The amount of attention they seem to have paid to gamer’s comments is heartening, and if it all works as planed then it will be a challenge to play, let-alone win.

I do so hope they get it right on the first go, because the patches are always reactions to criticism and tend to alter the balance of play in ways not anticipated in the original.

This installment does seem to answer the speculation about ships vs. forts though…looks like a no. So we do without amphibious operations in the 18th century. At least so far as actual battle screen engagements go.

I have to say that it will either be a tremendous success or a colossal failure with everything they have put into it…and I am betting on a success as these guys have had some practice in putting out good games in the past.

Now they still have almost six months to put it all in order and make it all work. That is all inspiring and disheartening at the same time…it’s a long time to wait, don’t you think?

Now if they say it is coming out without invasive copy protection I’ll preorder it at once.

rajpoot
09-21-2008, 10:36
This second part, I won't deny, it has dissapointed me a bit........because they have finally said that you can't have a ship besieging a port, with land troops.......it's good to know they're working on it......maybe in the xpack.......or the next title.
Still, with all the rest they've done, I guess I can do with the small hitch. All the rest sounds pretty good again.

Reverend Joe
09-25-2008, 18:57
I have to say that it will either be a tremendous success or a colossal failure with everything they have put into it…

Or maybe it'll just be okay.