PDA

View Full Version : LotR - Order of St. John II

Cecil XIX
09-20-2008, 13:17
OOC: This is an IC thread for members of the Order of St. John. IC letters from other nobles are allowed. But please keep requests to join the Order out of this thread. Any request to join can be sent to the Grandmaster in the form of an IC PM.

Order of St. John

https://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9950/orderap2.png

You walk through the doors and see a great hall. While alcohol is absent, a good meal and good company can always be found. The Order has it's headquarters in Antioch and a chamber in the Senate building in Constantinople. The Order's Charter is framed and on a wall in the dining hall. A small chapel is off to your right and a library is off to your left. Feel at peace Brother, for you are among friends now.

The Order of St. John

I.) Purpose: The Order of St. John is named in honor of Saint John Chrysostom. We exist to protect the Holy Land and to spread the Orthodox Faith.

II.) Membership: The Order will consist of sergeants and knights.

-A.) Any man who agrees to follow the rules can join the Order as a sergeant by swearing to a member of the Order's feudal chain.

-B.) To be a full knight, a sergeant must be single, possess at least 2 chivalry, at least 3 piety, no female retinue, at least one province, and must be accepted by at least 2/3 of the current knights of the Order. Once a knight, the man will be addressed as Brother. For the purposes of the rules, knight and Brother are used interchangeably.

-C.) If at anytime a knight fails to meet one of these requirements, their status may change depending on what requirement has been violated.

--1.) If a knight loses a province due to it being conquered, the Brotherhood must do what it can to get that person a province. Excess provinces can be given to satisfy the requirement. New conquests can be authorized if excess provinces are not available. During this process, the person remains a knight and can keep the position of Grandmaster or Marshall.

--2.) If the knight drops below 2 chivalry or 3 piety, he has 10 turns to rectify the situation. If he does not raise his stats to the required amount within 10 turns from the date of his violation, then the person drops in standing to a sergeant and loses the position of Grandmaster or Marshall. Once the sergeant gets his stats to the required amount, he is automatically brought back to the status of knight. This rule does not apply if the reason for the stat drop is illness.

--3.) If a knight gains retinue that are not in keeping with the Order's values, they must remove that retinue immediately or they will be demoted to sergeant and lose the position of Grandmaster or Marshall. Once the retinue in question is gone, the man is automatically brought back to the status of knight.

--4.) If a knight ever gets married, they permanently drop back to sergeant and lose the position of Grandmaster or Marshall.

--5.) If a member of the Order ever becomes Caesar, they are immediately demoted to sergeant and must give their provinces and relics to members of the Order. They will also lose their position as Grandmaster or Marshall.

--6.) If a member loses their position of Grandmaster or Marshall, a new one must immediately be chosen.

-D.) Breaking from the Order's feudal chain, without immediatly reswearing to another Order member, will result in automatic expulsion from the Order.

III.) Voting:

-A.) Changes in the feudal structure and in the Charter can happen at any time as long as there is no dissent from among the Brothers.

-B.) If there is dissent, there will be a vote among the Brothers at any time, but no less than 1 "turn" before the Senate goes into session.

-C.) In voting, one Brother will equal one vote.

-D.) Changes in the feudal structure of the Order, as well as it's Charter can be changed with a vote from 2/3rds of the Brothers.

-E.) The decision of this vote will be binding on all including the Grandmaster.

-F.) A vote made be made without a Knight if they have been inactive for 48 hours. (OOC: "inactive" means not on the board for 48 hours or, if the person uses invisible mode, no posts for 48 hours.)

IV.) Grandmaster:

-A.) The Grandmaster will be at the top of the feudal structure of the Order. When the Grandmaster changes, the feudal structure will reorder itself to place him at the top.

-B.) He will be chosen from amongst the other knights by either unanimous consent or a 2/3 vote to reorder the feudal structure.

-C.) When captured, Jerusalem will be the province of the Grandmaster and must be transferred to the new Grandmaster if the title changes hands.

-D.) When relics are acquired, the Grandmaster gets first pick from among the relics possessed by members of the Order. When the title changes hands, the new Grandmaster will then get first choice from among the relics.

-E.) Upon the Grandmaster's demotion, death, or retirement, a new one will be chosen immediately from amongst the knights.

V.) Marshall:

-A.) The Marshall is expected to be the Grandmaster's second in command and shall swear directly to the Grandmaster. When the Marshall changes, the feudal structure will reorder itself to place him as second in the chain.

-B.) He will be chosen by the Grandmaster from amongst the other knights. This can not be contested by a vote to reorder the feudal structure. If the members wish to contest a the Grandmaster's pick for Marshall, they will have to pick a new Grandmaster.

-C.) The Marshall will have the province of Antioch when it is captured. Antioch will transfer to the new Marshall if the title changes hands.

-D.) When relics are acquired, the Marshall gets second pick from among the relics possessed by members of the Order. When the title changes hands, the new Marshall will then get second choice from among the relics.

-E.) Upon the Marshall's demotion, death, or retirement, a new one will be chosen immediately by the Grandmaster from amongst the knights.

VI.) Rules: Rules are binding upon sergeants and Brothers alike.

-A.) All members of the Order must ensure that all prisoners they take in war do not come to harm so long as they remain in the custody of the Order.

-B.) All members of the Order will occupy all settlements.

-C.) All members of the Order will make sure that the church and Ikoner's studio in their settlement is at the highest level possible before building something else. Wall upgrades are the only exception.

-D.) All members of the Order will attempt to have no tavern line buildings in their settlements. If necessary for public order, only the lowest level of tavern possible is allowed. But if a choice must be made between lowering taxes, and building a tavern, then building a tavern is allowed.

-E.) All members of the Order will expel negative retinue as soon as they appear. This includes the adulteress, outlander adulteress, foreign fruitcake, and pagan magician.

-F.) All members of the Order will ask that the Megas deny all marriage requests for their person. Adoptions and "Man of the Hour" are allowed.

-G.) Territory and relics belonging to Order members is forever the property of the Order.

--1.) Therefore, while a member may leave the Order at any time, he must first give his land and relics back to a member of the Order.

--2.) Property and relics in wills must be left to members of the Order.

--3.) At no time may an Order member give his provinces or relics to a non-Order member.

--4.) The only exception allowed is if a member of the Order leaves the 1 province and 1 relic minimum to someone that they know will join the Order. (OOC: This means the player can give 1 province and 1 relic to their next avatar if that avatar is going to immediately join the Order once the player switches over.)

-H.) Thieve Guilds and Assassin Guilds are not allowed within the territory of the Order. The Megas will be requested to deny any requests of this nature. If the request is accepted, the offending Guild building must be destroyed immediately.

-I.) Members of the Order are expected to behave in an honorable manner.

--1.) No member is to disagree with another member in public.

--2.) A member should expect his edicts and CA's to be seconded by his fellow members.

--3.) Members are not to verbally fight with other senators in the senate.

--4.) If a member is having a problem with a senator, he is to go to the Grandmaster with his concerns so the Grandmaster can talk to the offending senator's lord.

--5.) Members may go to the Hippodrome but must act in a manner that is in keeping with the Order's values. No gambling is allowed.

-J.) No member of The Order can ever use the services of the Hashishin.

VII.) Punishment: Failure to follow these rules may result in the demotion or expulsion of the member.

-A.) Punishment will be decided from amongst the Brothers not being considered for punishment. Punishment can come about from a unanimous decision or a 3/4th vote at the normal voting time. A brother in question can not vote regarding his own punishment.

-B.) Demotion will consist of the knight being demoted to a sergeant. The sergeant may be considered to be a full knight again once all of the knights agree.

-C.) Expulsion will consist of the subject's lord breaking fealty with him, as well as the subject's vassals breaking fealty with the subject.

-D.) Anyone who refuses to break fealty with the subject will be expelled as well.

-E.) The expelled subject will be asked to leave the Order's lands and to give back any land to the Order. Land not given back to the Order will be taken back by force.

Grandmasters:

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1081 - 1138
Armatos ek Naksou: 1138 - 1170
Vartholomaios Ksiros : 1170 - Present Day

Marshalls:

Armatos ek Naksou: 1090 - 1138
Vartholomaios Ksiros: 1140 - 1170
Theophylaktos Petzeas: 1173 - Present Day

Knights:
Armatos ek Naksou
Vartholomaios Ksiros
Theophylaktos Petzeas

Land:

Nicosia: Castle
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1081 - 1155
Armatos ek Naksou: 1155 - Present day

Antioch: Large City
Armatos ek Naksou: 1090 - 1140
Vartholomaios Ksiros: 1140 - Present day

Aleppo: Town
Nathanial ek Korintou: 1102 - 1140
Armatos ek Naksou: 1140 - 1149
Theophylaktos Petzeas: 1149 - Present day

Adana: Castle
Iakovos Kallipoleos: 1110 - 1126
Vartholomaios Ksiros: 1126 - 1132 and 1137 - Present day
Lost to Turks: 1132 - 1137

Cairo: Large City
Vissarionas ek Lesvou: 1128 - 1129
Lost and then retaken by House Korakas

Thebes: Wooden Castle
Vissarionas ek Lesvou: 1129 - Present day

Tortosa: Castle
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1137 - 1138
Stavros ek Amarinthou: 1138 - 1149
Armatos ek Naksou: 1149 - Present day

Dongola: Castle
Armatos ek Naksou: 1138 - Present day

Acre: Castle
Armatos ek Naksou: 1138 - Present day

Damascus: Large Town
Armatos ek Naksou: 1152 - Present day

Relics:

Iron Crown of Lombardy:
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos: 1128 - 1171
Armatos ek Naksou: 1171 - 1173
Vartholomaios Ksiros: 1173 - Present Day

Bridle of Constantine:
Armatos ek Naksou: 1128 - 1173
Vartholomaios Ksiros: 1173 - Present Day

Feudal structure:

Hypatos Vartholomaios Ksiros
-Comes Theophylaktos Petzeas
-Comes Armatos ek Naksou

Retired:
Koulianos Vourzos
Areovindos ek Samou
Iakovos Kallipoleos
Stavros ek Amarinthou
Makedonios Ksanthopoulos
Nathanail ek Korinthou
Vissarionas ek Lesvou

Cecil XIX
09-20-2008, 13:20
Gentlemen, a new day has dawned! I do apologize for my absence, but I am here and we can get back on track. Since I am now in charge of the roster in addition to my other duties, I have decided to start a new transcript as well for bookkeeping purposes.

(OOC: Made a new topic so I could edit the front page. For the record, this was my plan before PK got the thirty day ban.)

Rowan
09-20-2008, 13:29
Welcome back, I was starting to get a little worried when your ship didn't arrive. I have been taking care of the books in the meantime, there are some letters that require your attention.

Bart passes the grandmaster a stack of papers

Cecil XIX
09-20-2008, 13:56
Indeed, I'm glad to finally be here. Fortunately you've been on top of things. Even prepared for the worst from what I hear!

Brother Vartholomaios, it is my pleasure to appoint you Marshall of the Order of St. John, and subsequently Prince of Antiokheia. Congratulations!

Now then, time for some sleep. After working through the night to catch up, I shall tackle the weightier aspects of doing so when I'm well rested.

Cecil XIX
09-23-2008, 03:24
Gentlemen, I would like to remind you that with Brother Makedonios' retirement, it is no longer incumbent upon you to give him permission to move yourselves. I ask that you change that portion to read 'Armatos ek Naksou', or even better just 'The Grandmaster' so that it changes with the title.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-03-2008, 09:11
Theo walks into the Orders rooms...

That little dog! If I could I would cut his head off!

To show how he would do that Theo hits with his sword against some vase.. cutting it in two...

Banning me from the Maganaura! Who the hell he think he is!

Cecil XIX
10-05-2008, 02:22
Peace, Theophylaktos! It is wrong to make such threats against a fellow Roman; especially if he has not raised his sword to you first!

What the Basileus did was wrong, but it was also of little consequence. This is the least important Magnaura session we've ever had, and you were still able to vote on it. We must save our outrage for when it can truly make a difference.

...And you're going to pay for that vase's replacement.

Ibn-Khaldun
10-05-2008, 09:05
Theo calms down..

I apologize.. I overreacted.. He better not do that again in the 'real' Senate Session!

Oh and that vase.. Hope it wasn't expensive?

Cecil XIX
10-06-2008, 02:46
Regardless of that the Basileus does, it will be better for you if you learn to withstands the blows of politics with greater calm.

And no, the vase was not expensive.

Dafuge
10-09-2008, 20:28
I have decided in my will that Tortosa will go to my Grandmaster Armatos ek Naksou.

Cecil XIX
10-10-2008, 02:21
Armatos enters the Order's meeting place with a solemn look on his face.

I'm sorry to say... That Brother Stavros is no longer with us. It seems the voyage back didn't agree with him. The mortality rate among crusaders has been truly terrifying. Brother Vissarionas, I hope you're careful out there.

Cecil XIX
10-10-2008, 20:01
Sergeant Theophylaktos! In recognition of your erstwhile service to the Order of St. John, it is our assessment that you are to be promoted to a full knight immediately. In accordance with this, I am giving you the town of Aleppo as your personal desmense. I ask that you break your oath of fealty with Brother Makedonios and reswear to Brother Vissarionas.

Congratulations!

Ibn-Khaldun
10-11-2008, 09:25
I hereby break my oath to Brother Makedonios and reswear it to Brother Vissarionas.

I'm honored and shall govern Aleppo the best I can!

TinCow
10-23-2008, 14:35
Privateerkev has now missed two normal Senate sessions in a row. As a result, he is considered inactive and his province of Nicosia is now the property of his lord, Armatos ek Naksou (Cecil XIX). In addition, PK's inactive status means his oath of fealty is considered broken and he is now an unaffiliated Strator. He will remain so until he returns or is killed off due to inactivity.

Ibn-Khaldun
11-16-2008, 20:50
OOC: Could Ramses move Theo on land and towards former Aleppo.

Ramses II CP
11-17-2008, 02:06
As long as your SoT permits it you can consider it done, as soon as I can reach land (Assuming they don't let me attack the Summit on Nicosia :laugh4:).

:egypt:

Ibn-Khaldun
11-29-2008, 12:35
Looks like Vissarionas left from the Order. So I hereby swear an Oath to Vartholomaios Ksiros.

Rowan
12-28-2008, 11:57
Vartholomaios Ksiros makes an announcement

As the new Grandmaster of the Order of St. John, I name Theophylaktos Petzeas as my marshall and the second in command of the Order. Should I be absent, he has all my authority to lead the Order. As a token of my gratitude and a sign of his new station I grant him the city of Antiokheia and the title of Prince of Antioch.

Ibn-Khaldun
12-28-2008, 12:04
I thank you Grandmaster Vartholomaios. I will govern Antiokheia the best I can.

Recent deaths of our knights have left only 3 people into the Order.
I have to ask, is the current Order's hierarchy like this:

Grandmaster Vartholomaios Ksiros
- Marshall Theophylaktos Petzeas
- Brother Armatos ek Naksou

Rowan
12-28-2008, 12:10
It should be like that, as soon as Armatos swears a new oath.

Cecil XIX
01-03-2009, 00:55
I hereby swear fealty to Vartholomaios Ksiros. In addition, I give to him the Iron Crown of Lombardy, the Bridle of Constantine, the Island of Cyprus and Nubia. (Dongola) May he do the Lord's will.

Cecil XIX
01-15-2009, 02:25
Grandmaster, I grow tired of my extended stay in Damascus. With your permission, I would like to ride out with the troops at my disposal and deal with the Turks threatening our lands.

Rowan
01-15-2009, 08:29
Armatos, of course you have my permission for this noble endeavor. Please rid our north-eastern promises of invaders and rebels.

Cecil XIX
01-18-2009, 04:54
The same German knight from the Magnuara appears again in the Order's main hall.

Noble Brothers of the Order, in accordance with Armatos's will Vartholomaios Ksiros receives the provinces of Acre, Dongola and Damascus as well as the services of a chivalrous knight, a veteran warrior and a mercenary captain. Finally, the Bridle of Constantine is now in need of a new owner.

The German bows, then leaves.

Cecil XIX
01-18-2009, 05:03
A young man quickly enters the Order's chambers.

Noble Knights of St. John, permit me to introduce myself. I am Kousinos Sophianos. In these troubled times, please permit me to serve you as my benefactor Armatos ek Naksou would have wanted.

Rowan
01-19-2009, 12:29
Kousinos Sophianos, I welcome you to join our Order and our fight against the muslim infidels. Now, swear fealty for our marshall Theo Petzeas to receive the rank of Sergeant of the Order of St. John!

Cecil XIX
01-23-2009, 02:30
I hereby swear an oath of allegiance to Theophylaktos Petzeas.

Kousinos bows.

My apologies for the delay, Brothers.

Ibn-Khaldun
01-23-2009, 11:10
This is more like a formality but.. I accept your Oath!

Ibn-Khaldun
03-11-2009, 15:03
Aleksios ek Kerkiras enters the great hall in the Orders headquarters and sighs. The building and it's great hall looks almost abandoned. He saw some servants walking around but it is clear that the Glory Days of the Order have passed into oblivion.

Aleksios walks towards one servant who was wiping some dust from the sculptures of the fallen knights of the Order...

Go tell your master that

I, Aleksios ek Kerkiras, swear an Oath of fealty to Vartholomaios Ksiros!

I await his answer, positive of course, right here..

Aleksios takes a seat behind the table in the center of the hall.

mini
03-11-2009, 15:36
Iosef Ek Artas patted the dust of his cloak as his horse entered the court yard. He gazed around, looking for a stable boy. Finding none, he dismounted sighing. He started to wonder if coming here was a bad idea.
Yet, the empire was at war on all sides. Since his loyalty to the basileus had taken him east, he had commited himself fighting the Turks.
He had seen the ugly side of war. The battle for Damascus - though almost won - had left a bitter taste in his mouth. Too many friends had died that day. When it shouldn't had to be that way. If internal strife had been non-existant, the Turks wouldn't have been able to suprise him with 1vs3 odds.
Damascus would now be in the fold of the Empire, and he himself would have been in time to aide Senator Petzeas in his battle against one of those retchet usurpers. He had admired the latter, so he taken a fancy to atleast visit the Order, to see whether or not he could aid the Empire to restore order both inside it's borders aswel as outside.

As he walked in the vast great hall, he found the place near deserted. He only found one knight seated at the center table, who merely frowned at Iosef.
As the knight was not familiar to Iosef, he thought it best to wait around for someone whom he could ask for both hospitality and information.

OOC: Could someone inform me the purpose and the current allegiance of the order? :)

Ibn-Khaldun
03-11-2009, 16:52
OOC: The purpose is to hold it's holdings in Levant and at least I(Theo) was supporting TheFlax' character.

Rowan
03-11-2009, 17:05
The servant roused by Aleksios ek Kerkiras looks around dumbfounded, then shakes his head as if gathering his wits and scurries away through a low door set behind the Grandmaster's seat. Some time passes until a white-haired man clad in mailed leather steps in through the same door. He takes a look at the two men before sitting at the high seat.

Gentlemen, I welcome you to these halls, which as you can see, haven't seen much visitors in recent days.

Turning his gaze at Aleksios ek Kerkiras Vartholomaios continues

You must be Theo's nephew mentioned in his will. I can see the family resemblance and you certainly have the same rashness and bold, unthinking energy he had when he was younger. I hope you have truly thought things through before offering me your fealty. These times are tough and the land has little need for noble causes and altruism like our once great Order. Ours is a hard work with little resources. If you will, I let you withdraw your oath and won't hold it against you. If you won't then consider yourself a sergeant of the Order of St. John!

Vartholomaios turns to face the other visitor

Now, you I do not know? Are you here for a shelter and some food, continuing on your journey on the morrow or do you wish to spend some time with an old man and a young fool?

Ibn-Khaldun
03-11-2009, 17:29
Aleksios smiles..

Young fool?.. heh

I have thought about this from the minute I heard that Theo died. He had.. some.. vices Aleksios smiles but his heart was in the right place. It's amazing that after his sailing accident so many years ago, that almost killed him, he still found the strength to take the fight against the Turks on his shoulders. Also, when he left to capture Edessa he told me to take care of Theopolis and it's citizens and I will keep that promise.

I will not withdraw my oath. I will serve as the Sergeant of the Order and try to protect the lands of Levant just like Knights did it in the early days of this brotherhood!

Turning towards Iosef..

I've seen you in the Magnaura, I think. Iosef ek Artas I presume?

Rowan
03-11-2009, 17:37
Vartholomaios smiles

It seems you even have a sense of humor. Splendid! Welcome to the Order!

He addresses the clerks that have joined to record this rare meeting

Let it be recorder that I accept the oath of Aleksios ek Kerkiras

mini
03-11-2009, 18:50
"That is right, Aleksios ek Kerkiras. I salute you."

Iosef then looked at the old man, trying to form a judgement of his character. Clearly someone who has seen a lot and not to be taken lightly

"My name is Iosef Ek Artas. I serve the true Emperor Ioannis (theflax). Yet I've noticed that the Order of St. John is especially dedicated to keeping the Turks at bay. Which is why I want to make myself useful.."

After a small pauze, he added: "As long as it doesn't conflict with my loyalties towards the Basileus."

Rowan
03-11-2009, 19:53
Vartholomaios frowns

The Order of St. John has alwaus been loyal to the lawful Basileus as it is now loyal to the Emperor Ioannis. What troubles we had with the Komnenius of the same name were his own doing. We have long worked with the Tagaris', I even participated in the Egyptian crusade with old Methodios the Conqueror.

So rest assured Iosef that your loyalty to the Basileus does not conflict with your desire to make yourself useful to the Order.

Now, do you have anything more specific in mind? I understand that you have a desire to fight the Turks? I have little troops to give you but of land I have plenty. That is only for the members of the Order, though.

mini
03-11-2009, 19:58
"To learn the ways of God, one must serve. So serve I will. Though I'd gladly want to be of service to the order, I have one question left to ask: What will the order to when Emperor Ioannis rides to destroy the usurpers, and will I be allowed to ride along side him, no matter my duties to the order?

I want to save the Empire from the Turks, but not while letting the empire rot from within."

Rowan
03-11-2009, 21:23
I will ride with the Basileus myself. You are welcome to join our company. But now I shall retire to my chambers. The servants will prepare your accommodations, we shall speak again on the morrow.

As Vartholomaios is leaving he turns around once more

You speak like a religious man, yet keep the company of a false priest. That man is not welcome under our roof.

mini
03-11-2009, 22:04
(ooc: i have no idea what ur talking about ;p)

Ibn-Khaldun
03-11-2009, 22:34
(ooc: i have no idea what ur talking about ;p)

OOC: You have a pagan magician ancillary I think ~;)

Rowan
03-12-2009, 08:20
OOC: You have a pagan magician ancillary I think ~;)

That's the one I was thinking about :) I remember seeing the magician when I checked the save but couldn't remember the name afterwards. Order charter prohibits pagan magicians, among other things...

mini
03-12-2009, 09:55
(ooc: must check the save tonight. Is there any way to get rid of him?)

"If give up I must, then he will go. If you will accept me, thy shall have me."

Rowan
03-12-2009, 11:29
Then you wish to join the Order as well? Very well, the principle of never opposing a rash youngster with a bigger army than me wishing to help has served me well all these years. Swear your oath and I shall accept it.

(OOC: I think TinCow will remove the ancillary when asked if you can't use the console yourself.)

mini
03-12-2009, 13:00
"Very well. I, Iosef Ek Artas, swear an Oath of fealty to Vartholomaios Ksiros"

Rowan
03-12-2009, 14:04
I accept the oath of Iosef Ek Artas

Now, I believe you need some land? Is that correct? I give you the castle of Adana.

mini
03-12-2009, 14:28
"My true thanks"

(ooc: must i declare anywhere i am now lord of Adana or anything?)

Ibn-Khaldun
03-12-2009, 14:33
"My true thanks"

(ooc: must i declare anywhere i am now lord of Adana or anything?)

No, but you should update your SOT with all the info about Adana(build/recruitment queue etc), though I doubt it's possible to get anything built in near future :laugh4: