PDA

View Full Version : Debate: - Does anyone trust youths anymore?

Thermal
10-27-2008, 23:06
With all the talk of knife crime and troublesome teens, how has this effected peoples views here? who is to blame? is faith in the younger generation completely lost or do you believe most are still valuable members of the society?

yesdachi
10-27-2008, 23:15
Do I trust them to do what? Stay horny and stupid? Yes I trust them completely. :laugh3:

CountArach
10-27-2008, 23:28
I am one, so I really don't know what to say. Some of us are morons, of course, but the same could be said about all age groups.

caravel
10-27-2008, 23:42
It depends on where you live Aries777777, I have heard many contrasting opinions on this. Generally though it's those that don't actually live nearby the troublespots and the gangs that don't think there's a problem and those that do, that are not only very aware of this problem but want something done about it. I suppose it also depends on where you hail from in the world.

On the whole Teenagers are ok, but there is most definitely a lack of discipline in schools here in the UK and a lack of both discipline and good parenting in the home - and this is leading to the so called "anti social behaviour".

From my perspective, as someone that comes into contact with this problem, it is a serious problem and it is damaging peoples' quality of life in poorer areas (and also spills over into better areas bringing them down as well). Usually it's only a few individuals causing the trouble and making other peoples', and in particular other teenagers' lives, hell.

The kids tend to be from long term benefit claimant families where a few generations have never worked nor comprehend the need to work. They simply rely on state handouts and have grown up expecting to get something for nothing. This is the problem that needs to be cracked before anything will improve.

Caius
10-27-2008, 23:49
I'm currently assisting to the University and HS. In Hs there are a lot of stupids, and in Uni not. I'd trust them when they are growing mentally. When they are madure people.

Rhyfelwyr
10-28-2008, 00:24
Yes just not when they're full of booze. That doesn't just apply to teenagers though.

And I'm a student...

Thermal
10-28-2008, 01:04
well said caravel :bow:

Seamus Fermanagh
10-28-2008, 01:18
Flogging! That's what's needed.

After all, they already have the rum and the :stop:

It's just a joke Banquo, ease off a bit! :nospam:

I'm not spamming, just having a bit of harmless :tomato:

Now THAT was uncalled for you bog-trotting :boxing:

Ouch! I dink you bwoke by dose. :yougotmail:

42 Warning Points! But :boxing:

Okay, I'll go quietly.

Alexanderofmacedon
10-28-2008, 01:23
As soon as they mature (and some never do) they're usually fine. Some are not worth trying with and deserve beatings...

The Celtic Viking
10-28-2008, 01:25
Well, I chose the option that said that punishment is no option, but that's not my exact point. I just think one should be slower to punish and more lenient when doing so. I just don't see the "troublesome teens" here (though I of course know they exist).

Thermal
10-28-2008, 03:52
Well, I chose the option that said that punishment is no option, but that's not my exact point. I just think one should be slower to punish and more lenient when doing so. I just don't see the "troublesome teens" here (though I of course know they exist).

then again people are different in certain circumstances, one of my sisters friends was really caring and friendly to her, because its someone she can associate with being similiar age hobbies etc. yet she treated her parents like something she trod on.

Samurai Waki
10-28-2008, 04:19
People haven't fundamentally changed in the last 20,000 some odd years. I don't think the current generation or the next are either inferior or superior. Essentially the same demon with a different mask.

Hosakawa Tito
10-28-2008, 13:03
I work in a Correctional Facility that specializes in treating and rehabing first time *convicted of non-violent* felons, mostly teens, but ages do range up to 39. It's called Shock Incarceration. An intensive 6-9 month program run like a military boot camp whose goal is to help turn troubled young peoples' lives in a positive direction. Dept. studies have shown that sending this class of felons into the regular prison system *Criminal University* pretty much condems the vast majority of them to a life of crime under the tutelage of the older career convicts. There is also an enhanced parole program to attempt to keep little Johhny or Suzy from backsliding when they do complete the program and are sent home. The Recidivism rates are better than regular prison parolees, however changing ones life is up to the individual. One has to want to change, and work hard at it; not giving up to temptation at the first snag or difficulty because there will always be those in life. This program is designed to give you that opportunity and teach one the life skills, and instill some self discipline. The carrot: only have to spend 6 months in a much safer correctional setting, get your GED, learn a job skill, turn your life around... The stick: Do your full sentence, usually 3+ years, at Criminal University as "fresh meat" to the general population with all the attendant fears,violence, negative peer pressure that come with it. Choose wisely.

Our most well known graduate is Curtis Jackson *50 Cent*.

I don't think todays generation of teens is much diffent, good or bad, from any that came before. Life is a learning process, and making bad decisions happens to us all. The wise ones grow and learn from their mistakes...unfortunately their are others that never do.

But then, that's job security for me.~;p

rory_20_uk
10-28-2008, 13:12
Most are reasonably behaved and cause no problems and are barely noticed. There is a small number that causes most of the problem. In some estates fewer than 10 can be responsible for over 90% of crime.

Punishment / rehab should be on an escalating scale. The end would be a few months in the Army which in many cases might be enjoyed as the chance to learn practical skills and be in a macho environment may be to their liking.

To erase learning bad habits in prisons, reduce sentences but make the conditions harder e.g. no talking to other inmates for starters.

~:smoking:

yesdachi
10-28-2008, 13:37
I work in a Correctional Facility that specializes in treating and rehabing first time *convicted of non-violent* felons, mostly teens, but ages do range up to 39. It's called Shock Incarceration. An intensive 6-9 month program run like a military boot camp whose goal is to help turn troubled young peoples' lives in a positive direction. Dept. studies have shown that sending this class of felons into the regular prison system *Criminal University* pretty much condems the vast majority of them to a life of crime under the tutelage of the older career convicts. There is also an enhanced parole program to attempt to keep little Johhny or Suzy from backsliding when they do complete the program and are sent home. The Recidivism rates are better than regular prison parolees, however changing ones life is up to the individual. One has to want to change, and work hard at it; not giving up to temptation at the first snag or difficulty because there will always be those in life. This program is designed to give you that opportunity and teach one the life skills, and instill some self discipline. The carrot: only have to spend 6 months in a much safer correctional setting, get your GED, learn a job skill, turn your life around... The stick: Do your full sentence, usually 3+ years, at Criminal University as "fresh meat" to the general population with all the attendant fears,violence, negative peer pressure that come with it. Choose wisely.

Our most well known graduate is Curtis Jackson *50 Cent*.

I don't think todays generation of teens is much diffent, good or bad, from any that came before. Life is a learning process, and making bad decisions happens to us all. The wise ones grow and learn from their mistakes...unfortunately their are others that never do.

But then, that's job security for me.~;p

Hey, you’re a moderator in real life too! ~D

Neat program BTW. Our prison system sucks and this sounds like a good alternative for first timers.

King Henry V
10-28-2008, 18:39
The youth of today are worms. What they need is a haircut and a good five year stint in the army to learn some discipline. Put some stick about!

Viking
10-28-2008, 19:19
Bad behaviour is relative to something. Regardless of that, better clarity is needed. What question do you really ask? Besides, teenagers as homogeneous group, what kind of question is that? :inquisitive:

LittleGrizzly
10-28-2008, 19:34
You can't really generalise age groups across the world accurately, you get no more information about tenagers from the latest stabbing in london than you do on middle aged people from fritzl...

At 22 im probably just over or on the edge on what people think of as a youth, but i feel the need to point out that whilst teenagers are probably the group i have had the worst experiences with they are probably the group i have also had the best experiences with...

I find more often a teenager willing to help you out whereas an older person will just look down on you because your younger, its my guess that its probably relative to age groups as well, the oldest and the youngest have such different views that the other group is more like a different culture so thier acts are viewed with more suspicion and caution

Hosakawa Tito
10-28-2008, 20:08
Hey, you’re a moderator in real life too! ~D

Neat program BTW. Our prison system sucks and this sounds like a good alternative for first timers.

Who's your Daddy? ~;)~;)~;)

I find more often a teenager willing to help you out whereas an older person will just look down on you because your younger, its my guess that its probably relative to age groups as well, the oldest and the youngest have such different views that the other group is more like a different culture so thier acts are viewed with more suspicion and caution

The only discernable difference between teens and older adults has nothing to do with intelligence, abilities, communication/observation skills, etc... it's experience. Applying the knowledge gained from experience & observation *and the will to use it* is really the only advantage an adult has over any teen.

Spino
10-28-2008, 20:30
Never trust anyone over under 30...

Lord Winter
10-29-2008, 01:52
To erase learning bad habits in prisons, reduce sentences but make the conditions harder e.g. no talking to other inmates for starters.

Didn't we try that in the early 1900's?

naut
10-29-2008, 08:41
People haven't fundamentally changed in the last 20,000 some odd years. I don't think the current generation or the next are either inferior or superior. Essentially the same demon with a different mask.
:bow:

Husar
10-29-2008, 14:56
I think the majority (51%) are okay.

Devastatin Dave
10-29-2008, 22:10
Could you please define "youths"? Are we talking age or are we talking muslims burning cars and rioting in Europe? Hmmmm, I guess either way, the answer is no for me...:laugh4:

Hax
10-29-2008, 23:43
No.

Most of them are scum.

signed: 15-year old.

Tristuskhan
10-30-2008, 00:38
No.

Most of them are scum.

signed: 15-year old.

And most of them remain scum even as they grow older....

signed: a 33 years old.

Thermal
10-30-2008, 03:27
Could you please define "youths"? Are we talking age or are we talking muslims burning cars and rioting in Europe? Hmmmm, I guess either way, the answer is no for me...:laugh4:

were talking from the age of -9months up to 131 years

shlin28
10-30-2008, 11:19
Most teenagers are untrustworthy, rude to Muslims and gays and to people wearing blazers from a "neeky school", and chavvy. (Especially the younger ones)

Signed- a 15 year old :devilish:

pevergreen
10-30-2008, 11:46
Its true. I am enrolled in a high reputation Lutheran School, in my final year. In the cohort of 275 people, I am the only person that does not drink alcohol. That isnt to say the others only do it once a year, 80% + its every two weeks. Not only are most of them underage, many have been arrested in public places for various things. It is a worrying trend. I do not trust my fellow peers. End of school is very soon, last day on the 21st of November. Then the traditional Australian Schoolies, one week where they all somehow get alcohol, drink themselves stupid and have lots of meaningless sex. I have completely abstained from it, and I get scorn from everyone. While everyone else is partying, I shall be on these forums, perhaps playing some games or maybe even just applying for a job or two.

Aside from that, its just simple, youths (15-22/23) can not be trusted. Get them in a full time job for a few years, then take a proper look at them.

edit: i voted Most of them are foul and rude, the majority need punishment

KukriKhan
10-30-2008, 17:42
I raised 5 youths through various parts of their teen years. And I still remember my own teenage years, as if they were yesterday.

I steal Reagan's dictum: "Trust. But verify." Trust is a thing to be learned, and earned. Like personal honour, individual integrity, and those other "adult" things that youth always yearns for, before they fully understand them.

It's been ever thus, I think, as Wakizashi points out. The current crop gives me hope for the future; but I still watch them with a jaded eye. :)

Strike For The South
10-30-2008, 18:59
, one week where they all somehow get alcohol, drink themselves stupid and have lots of meaningless sex.

Well that sounds like fun. Simply because someone partakes in something you may not enjoy or dont find moral doesnt mean those people aren't fine upstanding individuals. If these people arent hurting anyone and still meeting there obligations why shouldn't there hobbies be drinking and screwing those are good hobbies. At the end of the day you need to do what makes YOU happy. Youth only comes around once after this all we do is sag and get more cynical its best to ruin our bodies while we still have tight skin and a glimmer in our eye. But far be it from me to stop you from doing what you want.

Viking
10-30-2008, 19:43
[...]If these people arent hurting anyone and still meeting there obligations why shouldn't there hobbies be drinking and screwing those are good hobbies. At the end of the day you need to do what makes YOU happy. [...] But far be it from me to stop you from doing what you want.

I should second that. :2thumbsup:

That said; I am much of a pever. The reason why is that I find the average person on my own age to be immensely boring. :eyebrows:

Koga No Goshi
10-30-2008, 19:46
If you're young and having fun, there's just two things to watch out for: pregnancy and STD's. If EITHER of these happen to you, regardless of gender, it is totally your fault.

Aside from that, however, have fun. 51% of you are either going to leave your spouse or have your spouse leave you. So the idea that some kind of sexual purity for life thing is going to pay off is a little bit silly. That's not to say go out and sleep with everyone, but it's better to regret something you did at 18, than to be 40 and regret that you never did anything at 18. IMHO.

Strike For The South
10-30-2008, 19:50
If you're young and having fun, there's just two things to watch out for: pregnancy and STD's. If EITHER of these happen to you, regardless of gender, it is totally your fault.

Aside from that, however, have fun. 51% of you are either going to leave your spouse or have your spouse leave you. So the idea that some kind of sexual purity for life thing is going to pay off is a little bit silly. That's not to say go out and sleep with everyone, but it's better to regret something you did at 18, than to be 40 and regret that you never did anything at 18. IMHO.

Im 18 Im invincible.

KukriKhan
10-30-2008, 19:53
Im 18 Im invincible.

LOL. So was I.

So far, so good.

Rhyfelwyr
10-30-2008, 20:00
Since I've went to university I've realised they're not really that bad, and the stereotypes are pretty ridiculous.

I was raised by the kind of parents that think every second person is a paedophile, so I never really got out much, and I was a bit misguided in what I thought of people. I still don't really go out, but I realise from having seen more students at Uni that they are not like the binge-drinking stereotype, although quite a few still are I would think.

Koga No Goshi
10-30-2008, 20:02
Since I've went to university I've realised they're not really that bad, and the stereotypes are pretty ridiculous.

I was raised by the kind of parents that think every second person is a paedophile, so I never really got out much, and I was a bit misguided in what I thought of people. I still don't really go out, but I realise from having seen more students at Uni that they are not like the binge-drinking stereotype, although quite a few still are I would think.

You stumbled upon something that is a pet peeve for me. People who haven't been to college..... have a very warped idea of what it is. You would think it's just kids laying around eating caviar and talking about how much better they are than working people. Just prior to the public orgy.

Thermal
10-30-2008, 22:36
i go for less than a day and talks about orgy's starts?
:hide::weirdthread::focus:

LittleGrizzly
10-30-2008, 22:39
People who haven't been to college..... have a very warped idea of what it is. You would think it's just kids laying around eating caviar and talking about how much better they are than working people. Just prior to the public orgy.

You wouldn't believe the level of disappointment...

Strike For The South
10-30-2008, 22:42
People who haven't been to college..... have a very warped idea of what it is. You would think it's just kids laying around eating caviar and talking about how much better they are than working people. Just prior to the public orgy.

You wouldn't believe the level of disappointment...

Aye. The lack of caviar and group sex was rather disheartening

pevergreen
10-31-2008, 12:28
Well that sounds like fun. Simply because someone partakes in something you may not enjoy or dont find moral doesnt mean those people aren't fine upstanding individuals. If these people arent hurting anyone and still meeting there obligations why shouldn't there hobbies be drinking and screwing those are good hobbies.

I dont try to prevent it. I'm saying its stupid because its illegal and they dont meet their expectations, they do hurt others.

Not drinking is more of a personal decision, it just...smells horrible.

Strike For The South
10-31-2008, 16:56
I dont try to prevent it. I'm saying its stupid because its illegal and they dont meet their expectations, they do hurt others.

Not drinking is more of a personal decision, it just...smells horrible.

Im sure not all of them have turned into mindless drunks. The few that have is regrettable but at the same time I was able to drink in high school and into college and have still managed to hold a job go to school and post here so to say all of them have failed is kind of a stretch. It all boils down to personal responsibility, if you let the drink hold you it will.

Louis VI the Fat
10-31-2008, 18:37
the traditional Australian Schoolies, one week where they all somehow get alcohol, drink themselves stupid and have lots of meaningless sex.

I have completely abstained from itThat's terrible! What a complete lack of common sense some of today's youth shows. Shocking, this. :no:

I am most dissapointed in you, Pever.

LittleGrizzly
11-01-2008, 13:43
Youth is the perfect time for wreckless behaviour and no responsibility, sure theres lots to be said for being sensible, being safe and doing the right thing. But when it comes time to meet your maker are you going to be thinking of those days you spent inside cuddled up on the sofa watching some soaps, or are you going to be thinking of the time you and friends got so wrecked that you were collapsing on the floor, half of you not even making it home, going off with some stranger...

It is better to life a short unpredictable crazy up and down life for a few years than spend an eternity being safe responsible and well behaved....

rory_20_uk
11-01-2008, 14:50
Youth is the perfect time for wreckless behaviour and no responsibility, sure theres lots to be said for being sensible, being safe and doing the right thing. But when it comes time to meet your maker are you going to be thinking of those days you spent inside cuddled up on the sofa watching some soaps, or are you going to be thinking of the time you and friends got so wrecked that you were collapsing on the floor, half of you not even making it home, going off with some stranger...

With the caveat that you accept the consequences of your actions:

I don't want to have to sort you out merely as you got so wrecked on booze / drugs, or got attacked, stabbed or injured.
I don't want to have to pay the police / courts as you dimly remember something happening when you were blasted out of your face with a stranger.

The reason the above sounds so fun is the legion of people that have to run around being a nanny whilst you revel in one's supposed "independence".

~:smoking:

naut
11-01-2008, 15:09
I'm sure not all of them have turned into mindless drunks. The few that have is regrettable but at the same time I was able to drink in high school and into college and have still managed to hold a job go to school and post here so to say all of them have failed is kind of a stretch. It all boils down to personal responsibility, if you let the drink hold you it will.
Exactly, you can't blame the toxin. It's down to willpower and personal choice. Most, if not all my friends drink, but most are fine. If you turn into a drunkard you have no one but yourself to blame. That said if a friend turned into an alcoholic I'd help them and support them to break their addiction though. I do have one friend who did that, he was a model student, smart and hated the idea of drinking. Then he got introduced to lady liquor, and well now he's a mindless drunk, so much so his parents have cut him off. Another friend, of a similar vein seems to be doing the same thing, but more gradually, he always phones me to go out drinking.

You stumbled upon something that is a pet peeve for me. People who haven't been to college..... have a very warped idea of what it is. You would think it's just kids laying around eating caviar and talking about how much better they are than working people. Just prior to the public orgy.
So true. For me, its turned out like that episode of the Simpson's where Homer goes back to college, everyone (almost) takes it seriously. There is drinking, sure, but no mindless orgies, etc. A friend of mine goes to a Uni here called ANU (Australian National University), and the stories he tells me makes it sound like the stereotype of college though. :shrug:

the traditional Australian Schoolies, one week where they all somehow get alcohol, drink themselves stupid and have lots of meaningless sex.

I have completely abstained from it
Actually, I did the same as you. Although for different reasons, I used the money I would have used to pay for schoolies to pay for a trip to Fiji. :2thumbsup: