PDA

View Full Version : The Glorious Revolution

Rhyfelwyr
01-13-2009, 23:35
One set of units everyone eagerly anticipates are those of the Jacobites, and a mod set in the period from around 1688-1745 (Glorious Revolution - last Jacobite uprising) could allow a very detailed focus on the time when Britain as we know it really came into existence. Of course, it's hard to be specific on the details before the game is released and we know exactly what we have to work with, however only two main factions would be necessary, the House of Stuart, and the House of Hannover. The Scottish Covenanters and perhaps an English Parliamentarian faction could be set to emerge if the Stuarts change history and fight off the Williamites.

This mod wouldn't need to be too ambitious to begin with. A new map would of course be required, but other than that the Scottish and British factions from vanilla ETW could suffice for unit lists etc. Historical characters and of course features such as titles etc would be added. In particular, it would be important to represent Scotland, England, and Ireland as three seperate Kingdoms under the same Stuart monarch. It would be nice if an option of union could be allowed between Scotland and England, like the Kalmar Union features from the Kingdoms Teutonic campaign. Unlike Ireland, Scotland's crown wasn't required to remain within the House of Hannover from 1701, of course leading to a more encompassing union rather than independence.

Would anyone else be interested in a mod covering this area?

EDIT: First post in forum!!!!

Thermal
01-13-2009, 23:44
Sounds tasty :yes:

Antagonist
01-14-2009, 01:38
That does sound interesting: something based solely around the Glorious Revolution and the Williamite War alone would be quite restrictive IMO, but extend it to accomodate the Jacobite rebellions and other possible developments (like an English or Scots backlash against a vengeful Stuart restoration) sounds better. FKoC has demonstrated that a tightly focused campaign with two factions in this area can work. I'd probably prefer dialling it back 50 years or so and doing the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, but it does sound like an appetizing alternative. :book:

Antagonist

Rhyfelwyr
01-14-2009, 14:41
I'm fascinated by the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, but there's already a great mod for that on M2TW, plus the Glorious Revolution wouldn't require new units.

Sir Beane
01-14-2009, 17:44
Sounds like a great idea to me! If you ever need anyone to write flavor text (unit descriptions, building descriptions, traits, etc.) then I'm definitely willing and able to help (I've got loads of free time).

Plus the Jacobite uprising is a great time period to cover. I live pretty close to Derby, famous for being the furthest Bonnie Prince Charlie got before he turned his army around.

History might tell you it was because he was responding to the threat of a British army, but don't you believe it. It was really because he got to Derby and realised the whole campaign just wasn't worth it (Derby can have that affect on you if you travel there.)

Plus there can be more than two factions. There were several different clans in Scotland at the time that took different sides. You could even include the Dutch and maybe Ireland if you wanted to extend the scope a little. It would be interesting to see what would happen if other areas under English control jumped on the revolutionary bandwagaon.

Thermal
01-15-2009, 20:49
If you ever need anyone to write flavor text (unit descriptions, building descriptions, traits, etc.) then I'm definitely willing and able to help

same

Fisherking
01-20-2009, 09:56
I think it is a Great Idea! It could even run longer…The English put out that there were no Hires left in the Stuart House, but it was a lie, they still exists today!

Benjamin Franklin held discussions with them about the Kingship of the United States, but obviously that didn’t work out.

I don’t know of how I could help other than historical background, but the idea is wonderful.

Rhyfelwyr
01-20-2009, 23:51
I'm studying Jacobitism at Uni right now, so hopefully it will come in useful for gaining historical knowledge.

Perhaps there could be a chance that the Jacobo-French invasion of 1734 that never happened could actually happen?

Incongruous
01-25-2009, 09:11
Sounds interesting, not sure what I could do to help though, as I expect you know more about the Jacobites than I. However I could possibly help with the Dutch faction? I feel that this could eventually spiral off into a good MOD about the latter years of the Sun King and the War of Spanish succession?

Rhyfelwyr
02-15-2009, 17:12
Sounds interesting, not sure what I could do to help though, as I expect you know more about the Jacobites than I. However I could possibly help with the Dutch faction? I feel that this could eventually spiral off into a good MOD about the latter years of the Sun King and the War of Spanish succession?

Well I wouldn't really be sure about the scope of the mod until I see just how easy it will be to mod the game, what the limits are etc.

French support was important in many of the Jacobite risings, indeed there was nearly a naval invasion across the Channel in 1744. How best to represent the French though I am not sure of. Perhaps some French units could be added to the Jacobite faction and appear in a script if a 'rising' is seen as having occured. Or perhaps the French could be a faction on the edge of the map, presumably with some kind of cash bonus to reflect their power.

Incongruous
02-16-2009, 00:57
I would allow for some kind of scripted arrivals of French regiments if certain areas are taken, it would seem to be the best choice.