PDA

View Full Version : Gamespy is dead! Long lvie steam!

tibilicus
01-16-2009, 01:18
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44441.html

This might actually persuade me to buy this. Ranked matches, reliable servers, in game buddy lists and more is promised.

If these aren't actually more false promises maybe we might finally see the MP game we've wanted for years and one of the best online war games out there.

gollum
01-16-2009, 01:39
It certainly seems that the lobby and server will be good. This is significant. Now remains to see how many bugs v1.0 will have and how the gameplay will be...

!it burnsus!

Sir Beane
01-16-2009, 01:56
Everything looks good so far. If CA can pull this off it will be a major boost for the MP community. Here's hoping that they can do it!

Megas Methuselah
01-16-2009, 03:27
Long lvie steam!

Long live Steam! Long live Steam! Long live Steam! :crowngrin:

YellowMelon
01-16-2009, 06:22
It was a much better choice than Gamespy...

pevergreen
01-16-2009, 12:18
It really is. The less DRM as well, its an all around boost in sales.

Monk
01-16-2009, 13:17
Hey, you got steam in my total war... :dizzy2:

Sir Beane
01-16-2009, 14:10
I think Empire being Steam powered is quite appropriate considering the time frame and the fact that steam powered technology is available in game. :laugh4:

I'm looking forward to being able to collect Steam achivements to spice up the game a little. :beam:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
01-16-2009, 16:51
Thank god GS is out of this now. About time CA woke up and switched servers. I'm really excited about the ranked matches! We haven't had this since STW MP! :rtwyes::medievalcheers:

t1master
01-16-2009, 17:23
when's the demo coming out?

Sir Beane
01-16-2009, 17:36
when's the demo coming out?

I would guess at it coming out sometime during February. Maybe in about three or four weeks time?

Of course we might be pleasantly suprised and get it sooner. *Hint hint, CA* :laugh4:

Swoosh So
01-20-2009, 03:18
Ive always said lobby and servers were some of the most important things tw lacked in the last few years since rome, is interesting ill keep my eye on this and see what happens. The player career sounds interesting.

RTKBarrett
01-23-2009, 18:35
Finally something to look forward too, total war will be reborn :)

peacemaker
01-25-2009, 08:43
i must be missing out on something, i found the m2tw multiplayer lobby system to work really well(apart from the fact that there were only like 10 people). I found it better than where the computer or whatever does matchmaking(like COD4 on ps3 and i think pc and xbox etc., i don't play much MP at all) since you get to pick who to face and stuff. Here's hoping to good MP!~:cheers:

Polemists
01-25-2009, 09:42
Matchmaking services are usually poor do to the fact that like Red Alert 3, and Dawn of War 2

You have a system like this

I want a 2v2 game, on map y,

So now it goes through all the 2v2 open games, on map y and tries to find you a spot.

The benefit of ETW is that there is only one map...for campaign multiplayer anyway...and only 1v1 for campaign multiplayer.

The downside is the games will close quickly do to 1v1.

As far as battles go, your stuck, cause with so many maps, factions and like, it will take a few minutes before it can match you up.

Also assuming you can find players with proper firewall, ip connection, server speed, and pc specs is always a hassle.

pevergreen
01-25-2009, 12:42
Don't use matchmaking, but still have ranked matches? Warcraft 3 simply uses a matchmaking function, where you select 3 maps you would want to play, and 3 you wouldnt. Or you can hit quick search and it just puts you in a game, with whatever race(faction for TW) you last used.

tgi01
01-25-2009, 16:29
This is really g8 news .. been using steam since hl2 got released ...

Friends list , chat client etc etc ...

got empire on pre-order ...

TGI

Wishazu
01-25-2009, 17:04
Gamespy was kack and I`m glad it has been ditched, I havn`t used Steam since the launch of HL2 but the general consensus is that it`s awesome so i`ll probably install it today. I havn`t played any totalwar MP since August 2006 so I hope Empire is worth it. I look forward to facing some old adversary`s again, eh Tib, Bazzer :duel:

RTKBarrett
01-25-2009, 18:42
Come by the castle mate, sure alot of old faces would like to see you :)

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Round_Table_Knights/

Wishazu
01-25-2009, 18:50
Cheers for the link mate, I`ll stop by again some time soon. :)

Stinger123
01-25-2009, 19:55
the bad news.....I cant play Empire Total War, really ticked me off too. Its just completely and totally freaking lame.

tibilicus
01-25-2009, 22:41
I wonder if they're going to use windows live as well. As far as I'm aware the Dawn of war 2 BETA uses both steam and windows live.

If it gets both than it's even better news. For those of you who aren't aware what it is it's basically just another friends list/party system type thing. If you have a 360 you'll know exactly what it is.

Fondor_Yards
01-27-2009, 09:09
I wonder if they're going to use windows live as well. As far as I'm aware the Dawn of war 2 BETA uses both steam and windows live.

If it gets both than it's even better news. For those of you who aren't aware what it is it's basically just another friends list/party system type thing. If you have a 360 you'll know exactly what it is.

Ugh I hope not. The Beta is great and all, but GFWL is very annyoing. It refused to accept my Live account, and made me make a new one. At least the window's one is free... But there's no need for 2 different online services, since one is much better then the other.

miniwally
02-24-2009, 17:42
never used steam before hope it's good :D

t1master
02-25-2009, 22:49
i never used steam, until i dl the demo. good system imo, reminds me a lot of some third party soft ware that is prohibited from mention here.... :laugh4:

Mars
03-02-2009, 16:57
Its amazing how people are exited each time when a new TW version comes out.
Hope dies last....

Its not just a question of having good foyer and chat running, the question is, how good the mechanics will be. I repeat myself.

1. go online and get a game, something worth to play, in less than 5 mins
2. one button = one game

I dont want to search for someone worth to play against and even if some guy is an stupid idiot, but can play like a god....hell, i want to play him/her, but i dont want to talk with him/her.

All i want is, playing a game, without all the :daisy:, harrassing or badmouting.

Prices. tourneys. I personal doubt we gonna see it, but this was always the spice in competitiv game. Playing vs other and winning a price, beeing the best and show that around.
Laddersystem is must, it always was. Laddersystem is the only way to ensure, to involve new player, since they can be food for the rating of better player. This way u open the door for new player, to see the light.

lets wait some more and judge in some weeks...

gollum
03-02-2009, 17:10
Originally posted by Mars
Hope dies last....

And shopping therapy and escapism never...