PDA

View Full Version : The True Cost of Empire

Tomisama
01-18-2009, 03:27
Best Buy posted specs:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM
CPU Speed: 3GHz
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 (Intel Core Duo Core Recommended)
Disk Space: 10GB
Display: GeForce 5 Series with Shader Model 2 Support and 128MB Graphics Memory
Memory (RAM): 1GB
Operating System Compatibility: Windows XP/Vista, Not Mac Compatible

Minimum of 2.4 to a recommended 3GHz?

An off-the-shelf no frills DELL XPS with a 3GHz processor is $1100 without monitor or tax.

Kind of steep for the price of admission, who has better deals?

pevergreen
01-18-2009, 05:07
Keep in mind that 3GHz is single core. I had a 2.4GHz Dual Core, Nvideo 8600 and 4gb of ram, in a Dell XPS m1530 Laptop, and I should be able to play it easily.

edit: That cost me about $1400 US by todays standards, about 8 months ago.

Tomisama
01-18-2009, 15:46
Today revisiting the same page revealed this:

Minimum PC System Requirements
PC Processor Type
Intel® processor, AMD processor
PC Processor Speed
2GHz
PC Operating System
Windows XP, Windows Vista
PC System Memory
512MB RAM
PC Hard Drive Space
10GB
PC Video
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 5 or ATI RADEON video card with Shader Model 2
PC Additional Requirements
Internet service required to access online features

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9179024&st=total+war&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1218046366624

Interesting, as I copied and pasted the information yesterday directly.

Note the change from SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS to Minimum PC System Requirements, maybe changed to put their “best foot” forward.

Can anyone provide a link to an official source?

YellowMelon
01-18-2009, 16:14
I suspect that is highly undervaluing the system specs, since the computer they are proposing there can't even play M2TW well. Not looking forward to that 10 GB download...good bye bandwidth.

pevergreen
01-18-2009, 16:54
I know a lot of people here must focus solely on multiplayer, but its not hard to take a quick browse amongst the stickies of the main forum. :tongue: (j/k btw)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=2110009&postcount=1

YellowMelon
01-18-2009, 17:05
This is going to contribute to MP lag as it has in previous games. People who have insufficient computers will try to play with people who can actually handle the game, and will lag everything for everyone. I wish they had a feature like SupCom where it would actually turn down your install request if your computer is too crappy.

If those are the SP specs, MP specs should be:

3.0 GHz Dual Core
2Gb RAM
GeForce 8 Series
Cable Internet

Tomisama
01-18-2009, 17:09
I know a lot of people here must focus solely on multiplayer, but its not hard to take a quick browse amongst the stickies of the main forum. :tongue: (j/k btw)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=2110009&postcount=1

Many thanks :2thumbsup:

I know I had seen it somewhere :book:

P.S. The one (3GHz) was Canadian Best Buy's page

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926ingfs10118674&catid=21140

Furunculus
01-27-2009, 13:54
Best Buy posted specs:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

An off-the-shelf no frills DELL XPS with a 3GHz processor is $1100 without monitor or tax.

bear in mind that the 3.0GHz recommendation is for a single core Pentium 4 which had the worst IPC seen in the last decade.

a 1.8GHz A64 3000+ from the old socket 939 generation would perform equally well, and that is ancient, and even my old Shuttle PC built in 2004 had a 2.0GHz A643200+ in it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the graphics either, a modern videocard with a double the number of transitors, double the core clock-speed, (roughly four times the processing grunt), double the memory, and double the memory bandwidth can be had for around £25.00:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/256MB-Asus-HD3450-PCI-E-20(x16)-800MHz-GDDR2-600MHz-GPU-40-Cores-D-Sub-DLDVI-I-HDMI-HDCP-LP
and that will be a match for even the fastest of the woeful Geforce 5 series.

Tomisama
02-02-2009, 13:37
The final word on "minimum" (same as org front page).

The minimum system specifications for Empire: Total War are:

Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.

Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.

System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).

Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher).

Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.

Windows compatible mouse & keyboard.

15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.

http://www.totalwar.com/empire/gameinfo/news.php?n=2952

Now what about the official "recomended" specs?

And how much would it cost to purchace a new system to play Empire without hardware restrictions?

:juggle2:

Any recomended systems?

pevergreen
02-02-2009, 13:50
Any basic Dell XPS laptop will be able to play on medium-high. I have a slightly tweaked one and am looking forward to it on high.

For a desktop, just get a dual core with about 2.4GHz, a high Nvideo 8000 series or equivilant (512mb) and 2gig of ram for XP, 4 for Vista. (with both the processor and the graphics card, bigger is better.)

Lag free, high detail, big army Empire: Total War.

As for a recommended system. Get one custom built, it will probably end up cheaper.

Tomisama
02-03-2009, 02:12
Any basic Dell XPS laptop will be able to play on medium-high. I have a slightly tweaked one and am looking forward to it on high.

For a desktop, just get a dual core with about 2.4GHz, a high Nvideo 8000 series or equivilant (512mb) and 2gig of ram for XP, 4 for Vista. (with both the processor and the graphics card, bigger is better.)

Lag free, high detail, big army Empire: Total War.

As for a recommended system. Get one custom built, it will probably end up cheaper.An XPS M1530 laptop with the above processor, graphics, and screen upgrades (still a 15.4 inch even if it is high-def), with taxes will run about $1500.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dydohu5&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=features~laptops_great_deals

So is this the true cost of running full-bore Empire?

Or can it be done cheaper as a custom-built? Has anyone done this?

Or better (and maybe cheaper) as a desktop?

pevergreen
02-03-2009, 05:30
An XPS M1530 laptop with the above processor, graphics, and screen upgrades (still a 15.4 inch even if it is high-def), with taxes will run about $1500.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dydohu5&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=features~laptops_great_deals

So is this the true cost of running full-bore Empire?

Or can it be done cheaper as a custom-built? Has anyone done this?

Or better (and maybe cheaper) as a desktop?

I am running a Dell XPS M1530, with those specs. Cost me about AU$1800 8 months ago.

When you buy prebuilt, you buy the name. A desktop will always be cheaper and better. Even in the simple factors of heating.

Desktop easier to upgrade. And you can custom build a desktop, which will end up cheaper (you can buy 4 gig of ram for like $100.) all you have to do is either put it together yourself, or hire someone for $50.

edit: had a look through the prices and stuff there, its cheaper (comparatively) than what I payed. Its also of a higher base spec. It lacks a nice HD though.

Go with a desktop, unless you REALLY need it to be portable.

Sir Beane
02-04-2009, 12:29
I managed to get a desktop for around £750 which is more than capable of running ETW. It would have been even cheaper if I hadn't bought a monitor with it at the same time.

3.00Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
512MB nVidia GeForce 9800GT graphics card
4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
620GB Hard Drive.

It was a customised desktop from Dell, on some kind of special offer (I forget exactly what).

I'm hoping it will be able to manage high graphics, although probably not fully maxed out.

pevergreen
02-04-2009, 14:03
About $1500 AU, just for my comparative purposes.

Thats a good buy. Very high end. What RPM is that Hard Drive? 5200?

YellowMelon
02-04-2009, 17:38
I built one very comparable to that a few weeks ago, Beane, cost me $800 Canadian. That includes a gaming case that looks like it shoots lightning bolts and has 6 fans on it :D

Sir Beane
02-04-2009, 18:14
About $1500 AU, just for my comparative purposes.

Thats a good buy. Very high end. What RPM is that Hard Drive? 5200?

Yep thats it. I'm glad I went with the larger Hard drive because at 15GB ETW is pretty huge. :laugh4:

I was pretty pleased with this deal, but it took a lot of searching and customising of specs to get it. And I got lucky with the special offer.

Still though it proves it's possible to get a high quality gaming PC without spending a fortune. A laptop might be another story however.

KrooK
02-08-2009, 22:18
Damm - your computer are quite expensive.

Sir Beane
02-08-2009, 22:44
I built one very comparable to that a few weeks ago, Beane, cost me $800 Canadian. That includes a gaming case that looks like it shoots lightning bolts and has 6 fans on it :D

I wish I was confident enough to build my own machine. You can get some great deals compared to store bought suff. :2thumbsup:

Damm - your computer are quite expensive.

The prices seen so far are nothing compared to one of the really high-end gaming rigs. Look at the prices on Alienware PC's, it's incredible.

YellowMelon
02-08-2009, 23:41
You don't have to be confident when you have roommates do it for you ;)

KozaK13
02-09-2009, 00:17
Bah these spec seem to get more and more demanding to me....

I'm afraid my NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT will let me down, as my laptop struggles to play COD 5 on safe mode...

Can anyone suggest a good, affodable graphics card for a laptop so that i can play empire?

Belgolas
02-13-2009, 06:13
Bah these spec seem to get more and more demanding to me....

I'm afraid my NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT will let me down, as my laptop struggles to play COD 5 on safe mode...

Can anyone suggest a good, affodable graphics card for a laptop so that i can play empire?

The majority of laptops you can not upgrade unless you are a super nerd that knows how to solder and make some of their own chips.

The very cheapest is to build your own comp. You really don't need any previous experience. And if you don't feel confident some places like NCIX.com will do it for $50. Or you can watch youtube videos on building your own comp.

Now about specs the minimum is generally only capable of running the menu half decent but can not stay above 30 fps in game which is horrible.

You can build your own comp that has lets say....

Core i7 260
GTX 285
X58 mobo
6 GB DDR3 1600 mhz
640 GB hard drive
600 watt PSU
DVD burner
cheap 100 buck case

All for around $1500 and would pwn ETW at max settings at 1920 x 1200.

Now if you want a cheaper computer you could get a......

3.1 Ghz dual core AMD
4gb of DDR 2 800mhz(only $40)
cheap AMD mobo
640 GB Hard drive
400 watt PSU
DVD Burner
Cheap 50 buck case
9800 GTX+

all for 600 bucks

Not bad seeing as that system could probably max it out at 1680 x 1050.

The important thing to remember is what resolution do yo play at. The low the res the more significantly less powerful of a system you need. You could probably get a used computer for $300 that could play ETW on medium at a low res of like 1024 x 768.

Tomisama
02-13-2009, 13:34
One of the most important costs of playing online multiplayer games, is also a hidden cost. That is the monthly cost of an internet connection of sufficient quality to allow you to participate in quality multiplayer action.

Beyond sufficient computing power, and dynamic display capabilities to make these games work and look good, if you are going to be able to play multiplayer beyond one on one games, you will need to pay the price.

How much do you pay each month for your connection?

pevergreen
02-13-2009, 14:56
100 AU for 25gb at 4mb/ps. After 25gb, slowed to 64 kp/ps download.

Tomisama
02-14-2009, 02:05
My internet runs about $43 a month regular price, but they have special package deals often that we take advantage of, at about half that.

Still a tidy sum :inquisitive:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/410580793.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.speedtest.net/

Sheogorath
02-14-2009, 02:54
Best Buy posted specs:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

My PC has a 2.99ghz processor which I got a couple years ago. Paid ~$500 for the whole thing, although I used some bits from my previous computer (monitor, hard drive and CD drive as I recall).

The trick is to build your own computer. It's really not that difficult.

Belgolas
02-14-2009, 18:55
Yeah Internet connection is a hiden "monthly subscription." I pay about $60 a month and get 7mb/s download and 60gb cap. Although we have gone to about 300 GB in some months and they don't limit our internet. It is through Rogers.

YellowMelon
02-14-2009, 20:15
I use Cogeco (sub company of Rogers) and they have actually capped me off some months. Mind you I usually get to about 90gb or so before it happens. You Canadian, Belgolas?

Crazed Rabbit
02-14-2009, 21:42

Build it yourself. Seriously, you can get much better deals than buying pre-made computers.

CR

KozaK13
02-15-2009, 01:09
Thank you for the advice Belgolas.

Damn internet...is it true that Britain is behind the rest of the west asfar as internet goes? And will steam cancel this out as it may be as good as somepeople seem to make it out to be?

Incongruous
02-20-2009, 20:32

Damn internet...is it true that Britain is behind the rest of the west asfar as internet goes? And will steam cancel this out as it may be as good as somepeople seem to make it out to be?

Cheer up, if you think the UK has bad internet service, come down to NZ and you will scratch your eyes out.

pevergreen
02-21-2009, 14:57
Yeah it isnt great, thats for sure.

CanCritter
03-25-2009, 17:44
build yourself tom....most parts are plug and play...vidio cards,memory and cpu are easy to swap out...after 4 comps for TW am learnin....would find a good 1gb vid card..they can be had up here for 130$ and are easy to swap out....next would upgrade memory....l have 2gb of 800mhz...figured out the higher the mhz the faster things are processed,,,picked that up for 40 bucks..on hindsight shoulda went with the 1300mhz..lesson learned...
am running my system on a 2.2 AMD athlon..runs fines...large mulis online will lag but all else runs not bad but need to update my cpu processor...asked and its plug and play as well so its something l or you can do...you should be able to update and have good system for under 600 bucks...just do yourself...l generally buy my stuff through here...is about cheapest up here...may be able to find in states cheaper

Memory l got...cheap

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19221(ME).aspx

memory l shoulda bought....

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19942(ME).aspx

the higher the mhz the faster infos processed...believe min is 800mhz for game..get as high mhz as you can afford..future games

vid card

just picked up a 1 gb....dont buy a 512..get 1 gb..not much more and will serve ya for future games
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX22522(ME).aspx

cpu...get as best as ya can...also note if you do swap it out may need to upgrade power supply 100-200$ and swap and play
AMD has some good deals...would be eyeballin them and trying to find something around 3 ghz...is one for about 300..good investment for future games

Power....boxs...easly swaped out
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/Computers(ME)/ComputerComponents(ME)/PowerSupplies(ME)/Default.aspx

so say you spend

$300 processor
$100 memory
$130 vid card
$150 power
680$

all this stuff is easly swaped out and installed...chances are you can knock 100-150 $ of that price in states

let me know if ya need hand...imagine theres lots of folks in the know that may be able to elaberate some more on this stuff...os all basic stuff and easy to do...
l mean realy l do it :smash::juggle2::furious3::help::sweatdrop::book::oops::2thumbsup::beam:

Postino
03-30-2009, 06:13
Another advocate for build your own am I. When ETW came out I was running what was fairly top of the line 4 years ago-this was the 3rd game that I could barely run so I gave in and upgraded a good portion of the machine(ok, the whole thing really).

I spent just over 300 dollars on hardware: a very nice and lasting ASUS MB, the low end 2.5Mhz dual core, some 4 gigs of 667mhz memory, an xfx 9500GT and a sata drive. No it's not that impressive but it runs ETW very well and smashes DoW2( I haven't tried Warhammer Online on it yet, I may not...). In addition I can get at least 3 years out of this motherboard by upgrading other parts.

When you build your own machine, a remarkably easy thing to do, the expenditures of playing PC games becomes equivalent to keeping up with a console rig.

CanCritter
03-30-2009, 16:12
found this site....even cheaper yet...havent bought from here yet but probally will when l update processor
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=CPU
found a few good canadian sites as well...this is even cheaper than l thought l could find..is a US site

lugh
03-30-2009, 21:50

And coming behind Britain is the Republic. :( Steam is a blessing and a curse really, more of a curse with my woeful 3G modem.

Anyway the game was running quite fine on my 2.4 Dualcore, 8600 GT 2gig RAM before I upgraded a bit.
As someone else said. If you're building your own, or even getting someone to put it together for you, best bet is to invest the highes ratio of cash in the motherboard.

CanCritter
03-31-2009, 15:54
if you added memory and it wasnt same could cause issues...was warned not to mix diffrent makes of memory...for those like me that didnt know

Postino
03-31-2009, 16:21
I've mixed memory on two occasions, no difficulties.